This story, about this Alabama pastor...

Gil Bang

TLDR: This was a story from a while back. Preacher had private trans persona and liked to write fan fic involving locals. Reporter Craig Monger found out and published article on him, preacher committed suicide. Monger's employer, 1819 News, which appears to exist to supply stories to talk radio programs, lost some advertisers. Monger is still on staff, when not puffing out his huge neck to attract mates.

Monger.jpeg

• Rage+1 4

I’m just glad that reporter is “at peace” with his story. I was worried he’d have like, some lingering guilt or whatever for driving a man to suicide, but glad he was able to avoid that. 

• Rage+1 2

Just a sad story all the way around.  I can't imagine the fear of living as this man pleased, only to be outed by some schmuck for seemingly nothing more than cheap publicity.  Worse, the "reporter" seems to have zero remorse, what a winner.  I could go on a lengthy diatribe about religion, lack of acceptance and love, and self loathing caused by this environment, but I'll skip it.  I'll just say this, we should be better.  

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Just a sad story all the way around.  I can't imagine the fear of living as this man pleased, only to be outed by some schmuck for seemingly nothing more than cheap publicity.  Worse, the "reporter" seems to have zero remorse, what a winner.  I could go on a lengthy diatribe about religion, lack of acceptance and love, and self loathing caused by this environment, but I'll skip it.  I'll just say this, we should be better.  

His church seemed both accepting and loving.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

His church seemed both accepting and loving.

Perhaps they are/were, and good for them if that is the case.  However, he killed himself for fear of not being accepted.  To me, this speaks of an underlying issue at play.  We've come a long way on accepting people for who they are, but the fact that this man lived in such fear just tells me we have further to go.  No one should live in fear for simply exercising their personal liberty.  As I said earlier, this is nothing but a sad story, but if a positive can occur, hopefully more people in Alabama and frankly everywhere can learn from it.  

4 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

After reading OP, the only thing we disagree upon is your word “perhaps.”

Well, benefit of the doubt and all.  I think we can definitely agree we can and should do better.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Nothing good happen in Phenix City. It was the red light district for Fort Benning. They even made a movie about it in the 50's.

I was born at Fort Benning, but don’t recall going across the Chattahoochee to enjoy the local $2 delights.

Posted (edited)

Wonder if that’s a cross around his neck…I bet it is.  

This shit infuriates me to no end.  A large swath of people need an Other to project their fears, uncertainties and dread onto while a certain group of politicians are all in on leveraging that to stay in power, partnering with certain news agencies eager to harness it for viewership.  

Now a family is broken, a church lost their leader and a community is refusing to examine itself over an individual’s own private affairs that had zero impact on their lives.  

This country was founded on the human right of self expression and equality, yet the people who espouse to love it the most are often those actively participating in suppressing it for zero gain.  Fuck them.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I was born at Fort Benning, but don’t recall going across the Chattahoochee to enjoy the local $2 delights.

That must have been fascinating during the Great War era.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Link?

Wasn't that in the story in the OP text?

Bubba’s body would be turned away by the two Baptist cemeteries in Smiths Station, his hometown, the town that he loved. He is buried in a private family plot many miles away.

8 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

TLDR: This was a story from a while back. Preacher had private trans persona and liked to write fan fic involving locals. Reporter Craig Monger found out and published article on him, preacher committed suicide. Monger's employer, 1819 News, which appears to exist to supply stories to talk radio programs, lost some advertisers. Monger is still on staff, when not puffing out his huge neck to attract mates.

Monger.jpeg

Seeing this angers me, and makes me wonder what ever happened to the 4chan gang called Anonymous. This seems right up there specialty.
Then again what ever happened to Daniel Figurelli (I'm not saying surly should mess with this fucker, but I wouldn't be bothered if he felt consequences)

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Thanks tor the quoted part. I assumed the cemeteries weren’t associated with his church. If one is, then I drew the wrong impression, and am even more dispirited by these events. 

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

After looking at a list of cemeteries in Fenix City, I doubt the First Baptist has their own cemetery. 

image.thumb.png.de40faf73f445bd95ffbc9fdf9b6b504.png

Bubba’s funeral was at First Baptist. 

https://www.al.com/news/2023/11/bubba-copelands-funeral-held-a-day-before-wedding-anniversary-bring-love-to-this-awfully-dark-world.html

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

After looking at a list of cemeteries in Fenix City, I doubt the First Baptist has their own cemetery. 

image.thumb.png.de40faf73f445bd95ffbc9fdf9b6b504.png

Bubba’s funeral was at First Baptist. 

https://www.al.com/news/2023/11/bubba-copelands-funeral-held-a-day-before-wedding-anniversary-bring-love-to-this-awfully-dark-world.html

Ah my bad with over-inferring, thanks for catching that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Thanks for sharing this story. Tragic. 

Religion has been bastardized and warped and turned into a vehicle of sin and hate. I try to understand it's original powerful purpose.  All the pain and suffering people endured way back in the day. War, hunger, sickness, unsuccessful child birth or early deaths. People needed something powerful to believe in so they could continue to live.  

I know it's nothing groundbreaking in terms of its theme, but the last scene of Fargo this year really resonated and stuck with me. What have we done to each other? Can't we just live with joy and love, not sin and hate? 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Goddamn reading that was fucking brutal. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Thanks for sharing this story. Tragic. 

Religion has been bastardized and warped and turned into a vehicle of sin and hate. I try to understand it's original powerful purpose.  All the pain and suffering people endured way back in the day. War, hunger, sickness, unsuccessful child birth or early deaths. People needed something powerful to believe in so they could continue to live.  

I know it's nothing groundbreaking in terms of its theme, but the last scene of Fargo this year really resonated and stuck with me. What have we done to each other? Can't we just live with joy and love, not sin and hate? 

Great season, great scene. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Perhaps they are/were, and good for them if that is the case.  However, he killed himself for fear of not being accepted.  To me, this speaks of an underlying issue at play.  We've come a long way on accepting people for who they are, but the fact that this man lived in such fear just tells me we have further to go.  No one should live in fear for simply exercising their personal liberty.  As I said earlier, this is nothing but a sad story, but if a positive can occur, hopefully more people in Alabama and frankly everywhere can learn from it.  

First Baptist was not the problem. It was most of the rest of that God-awful state (I say that fully knowing how fucked up my state is as well) that had a problem with Bubba. The congregation had some immediate, knee-jerk moments of potential shittiness but the article clearly says when Copeland admitted it was true during a meeting at the church, the congregation rallied around their former pastor.

BTW, here's a pic of the "publisher" of Bama's 1819 News and he looks exactly like you'd expect an ex-con-turned-alt-right-activist to look. I'd be shocked if he's not in the Proud Boys, Oath Keepers or Three Percenters. 

image.thumb.png.3f9fa46798df4cde4b925c97ef2d291a.png

Big shock -- it appears that he has about 35 kids.

image.thumb.png.6c7696e883564dfdc4637a3b66fe299b.png

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

This country was founded on the human right of self expression and equality*, yet the people who espouse to love it the most are often those actively participating in suppressing it for zero gain.  Fuck them.  

*As long as you are white. And male. 

It always cracks me up when people parrot back the bullshit we were taught in elementary school. 

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Then again what ever happened to Daniel Figurelli (I'm not saying surly should mess with this fucker, but I wouldn't be bothered if he felt consequences)

Monger puts out a Figurelli vibe.

4 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Thanks tor the quoted part. I assumed the cemeteries weren’t associated with his church. If one is, then I drew the wrong impression, and am even more dispirited by these events. 

I took away that the cemeteries were not connected to his church as well.   Nothing else in that story indicates his church wouldn't have been happy to bury him if they had a cemetery.   For Southern Baptists, his church was definitely an outlier.

• Hook 'Em 2