The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah super interesting. Probably a clear cut first Amendment violation by Twitter there. Nunes should up his demand to 250 Billion.

You guys are hilarious. Maybe you should sue surly for allegedly shadow banning you. Ask for 750 million, just to start.

I made no mention of damages or what they’re pursuing. Of course that number is ridiculous. That’s the point, right?

With regards to shadowbanning on twitter, I don’t think he’s even bringing up the first amendment. I’m not a lawyer though. It sounded like he objects to being targeted by Twitter in a way that impedes his way to respond to defamatory content in “the public square”. This almost certainly happen to conservatives far more. Exposing it further is in their interest.

26 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I made no mention of damages or what they’re pursuing. Of course that number is ridiculous. That’s the point, right?

With regards to shadowbanning on twitter, I don’t think he’s even bringing up the first amendment. I’m not a lawyer though. It sounded like he objects to being targeted by Twitter in a way that impedes his way to respond to defamatory content in “the public square”. This almost certainly happen to conservatives far more. Exposing it further is in their interest.

¨So in other words a frivolous lawsuit, like the type that republicans like to rail against. 

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Probably a clear cut first Amendment violation by Twitter there. 

Twitter isn't bound by the First Amendment.

It's funny how guys like you like to invoke the Constitution so much when you either haven't the foggiest clue what it says or what it means.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

Waking up, and remembering this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell

Hustler Magazine, Inc. v. Falwell, 485 U.S. 46 (1988), is a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court held that the First and Fourteenth Amendments prohibit public figures from recovering damages for the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED), if the emotional distress was caused by a caricature, parody, or satire of the public figure that a reasonable personwould not have interpreted as factual.[1]

In an 8–0 decision, the Court ruled in favor of Hustler magazine, holding that a parody ad published in the magazine depicting televangelist and political commentator Jerry Falwell as an incestuousdrunk, was protected speech since Falwell was a public figure and the parody could not have been reasonably considered believable. Therefore, the Court held that the emotional distress inflicted on Falwell by the ad was not a sufficient reason to deny the First Amendment protection to speech that is critical of public officials and public figures.[1][2]

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yeah, unfortunately, in this timeline, I'm not sure there's just a whole lot that can be said about Nunes that a reasonable person might not interpret as factual.  Nunes in a human centipede?  I mean, maybe - the most problematic part is probably Trump having physical access to Putin's shit ...

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That may have been one of the SC's best moments given the political climate in which it lived at the time. That was the height of the Reagan years and Falwell was that "movement's" staunchest advocate. IIRC, even Flynt thought he'd probably lose. He certainly never expected it to be unanimous.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I certainly hope that's the case, and I'll stand correct if so. However at the same time, there certainly are people who really do believe shit like that.

Edited by hpslugga

28 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The contrast of these "fuck your feelings" but don't talk about white privilege because that makes me mad.  These people like to talk about their individual freedoms but are in favor of dictators.  I'm a 'Murica badass but are so terrified of brown people that they clutch their AR-15s tighter than their children.

These people don't know exactly what they believe.  They're feathers in the wind.  Just as long you hurt the right (brown) people and not the wrong (white) people. 

Im in favor of Yellowstone exploding 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GRHorn said:

The interesting thing about the Nunes suit is the shadowbanning angle. I’m sure Twitter doesn’t want to go into detail about how they do that stuff. 

And hey, Andrew Yang is ok with the Electoral College. 

Why not? It's a private platform. They can literally do whatever they want. They have no legal liability.

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

The contrast of these "fuck your feelings" but don't talk about white privilege because that makes me mad.  These people like to talk about their individual freedoms but are in favor of dictators.  I'm a 'Murica badass but are so terrified of brown people that they clutch their AR-15s tighter than their children.

The first thing a dictator would come for is not the brown people, it’s going to be he AR-15s. 

Former President Ronald Reagan's daughter Patti Davis revived her harsh criticism of President Trump and the current state of politics in the U.S.

In an interview on Yahoo News's "Through Her Eyes," Davis said she thinks her father would "be horrified" by Trump's presidency.

"I think he would be horrified. I think he would be heartbroken," Davis said. "Because he loved this country a lot, and he believed in this country."

Davis, an author and former actress, warned that Trump is endangering Democracy in the U.S. and compared him to leaders she says use "fear" to "weaken" people.

"If you stir up fear in people, you weaken them. If you divide people, you weaken them," Davis told host Zainab Salbi. "Everything [Trump] says is divisive. Look at his rallies."

She also called on people to "speak up and stand up," warning that "we are going to lose this country" if they don't.

Davis's comments echoed her past criticism of the president. Last summer, she penned a Washington Post op-ed that said her father never would have stood for Trump's attacks on the media.

She also wrote in a separate op-ed that she thinks the former president would be "appalled and heartbroken" at Congress's refusal to stand up to Trump.

Davis has long been known for her political outspokenness. She was involved in the anti-nuclear movement in the 1980s and spoke out against some her father's policies.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/434852-ronald-reagans-daughter-laments-trumps-presidency-my-father

• Like 1

wisconsin's republican legislature was so concerned about hamstringing the incoming democratic governor that they forgot to properly call themselves into session, violating wisconsin's state constitution, which made all of their acts in their lame-duck session void.

rick-perry-gaffes_k7ff64

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/03/wisconsin-gop-acted-illegally-by-stripping-incoming-governor-of-power-judge-rules/

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

wisconsin's republican legislature was so concerned about hamstringing the incoming democratic governor that they forgot to properly call themselves into session, violating wisconsin's state constitution, which made all of their acts in their lame-duck session void.

rick-perry-gaffes_k7ff64

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/03/wisconsin-gop-acted-illegally-by-stripping-incoming-governor-of-power-judge-rules/

Wow.gif

Gotdamn.    Rick Wilson went hard in the paint.

Profiles in Chickenshit from the Grand Old Party as Trump Spits on John McCain's American Greatness

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-spits-on-john-mccains-american-greatness-and-republicans-respond-with-profiles-in-chickenshit?ref=home

Damn near every elected member of the Republican Party failed another easy test this week as Donald Trump lost his grip on reality and spent days attacking the late Senator John McCain. They tripped over their own dicks in the face of Trump’s egregious bullying, racing for political cover and sacrificing their few remaining shreds of dignity because they fear this mad president more than they love their own honor.

Starting this weekend, Trump has tweeted six days worth of escalating insults on Twitter and in person at a rival who died seven months ago. Like I said, it’s an easy test: as elected leaders, as Republicans, as conservatives, as Americans, this was a moment to honor McCain and to call out the President by name for failing to do so.  

Party loyalty isn’t a suicide pact… or is it?

Just two members of the Senate RINO caucus spoke with clarity and direction. Mitt Romney, hated by the Trump faction for, well, everything, said what was needed.

Johnny Isakson of Georgia, himself a Vietnam-era veteran, took the strongest and most courageous stand, telling the Washington Post:

“America deserves better, the people deserve better, and nobody — regardless of their position — is above common decency and respect for people that risk their life for your life. When the president is saying that he doesn’t respect John McCain and he’s never going to respect John McCain and all these kids are out there listening to the president of the United States talk that way about the most decorated senator in history who is dead it just sets the worst tone possible.”

Spoiler

The rest of the Republican Senate caucus, men and women who served with John McCain, in some cases for decades, did nothing better than vague mumblings. 

In the House, Rep. Dan Crenshaw, a former Navy SEAL, spoke clearly and strongly — his voice resonating even more given the silence around it from most of his Republican colleagues there.

Let me help the rest of our supposed leaders. Here’s what you say to Donald Trump as he continues to Ahab McCain’s legacy:

John McCain was an American hero with more courage and decency than you will ever have. You are wrong and your behavior is despicable, Mr. President. For the good of the country, please shut the fuck up.

Too much? Try:

John McCain is a role model and example for every American. His heroism and service to our country or a light in a dark time and I am honored to follow his example of public service and commitment to the nation before politics, and people before party. You would be best served by shutting the fuck up.

You cowards aren’t even acting in your own political interests. Here’s a clue:

When Trump began attacking McCain at the U.S. Army Tank Plant in Lima, Ohio yesterday, there was no cheering, no clapping. Trump knew it, felt it, and still kept rolling, though he was obviously off his stride. 

This wasn’t a meeting of the East Asscrack MAGA Fan Club, but blue-collar men and women, many of them veterans. They greeted his attack on one of the most revered veterans of our era with icy silence. Even Trump’s usual practiced japery and stage antics didn’t penetrate. 

Senators, even those of you who sincerely believe Trumpism is the only path forward for the GOP, a few simple questions remain: 

Have you no honor? No loyalty? No dignity? 

Even in this new regime where we always live in Year Zero, does nothing that came before Trump matter? 

Are there no heroes, victories, or role models where you’ll draw a bright line against Trump? Is there not one echo of the past you still find worthwhile or deserving of respect and honor as you talk about making America great again??

Silence or soft words amount to a defense of a President who cheated the draft to avoid service in Vietnam as he belittles and dishonors a man, no longer alive to respond for himself, who volunteered for both service and combat, flew from the heaving decks of aircraft carriers to bomb enemy targets and was shot down, captured, and tortured beyond imagination. 

All because you’re afraid of a mean tweet, senators?

Is that all you are? Is that all you have left? Fear, silence, and humiliation? If that’s your thing, get a dominatrix, but don’t pretend you’re any kind of leader.

Praising McCain isn't enough. Praising his memory and example doesn't draw the bright line of moral clarity on which a real leader would stand firm. 

Your genuflection to Trump’s Twitter feed, your assent to his petty beefs and soaring insecurities will never save you; the bonfire of his ego must be stoked every day for the rest of your political lives. You can praise him and agree with him a million times, but the moment you stray he will destroy you. 

You ran that first race, whether it was for Congress or the county commission or dog catcher and you sit in Congress or the Senate, but now act as if you’re a junior manager at a third-tier Trump golf resort.

If you haven’t noticed — and it would take someone who has lived deep in a bunker without cable tv or an Internet connection for the last three years — he will turn on you like the rabid cur he is. Everything you've ever done for him will be cast aside in that hot moment you disagree with him. You’re afraid he will destroy you politically and personally? He will, regardless.

With your silence and assent, he will ravage your party and your country. 

Keeping your mouth shut may keep Trump's vicious, grunting, prole army on your side for now but you live on in history as cowards so divorced from the American ideal your accomplishments will be lost and your names remembered only as a cautionary tale to others aspiring to lead, and serve.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 4

rick-perry-gaffes_k7ff64

00e976234d3f8c61296574cd13d043dd.gif

Seriously. The sheer volume of shooting themselves in the dick by the MAGA types is amazing.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:53 AM, Longhornfan1024 said:

It's like Nunez has never heard of the Streisand effect.

One hundred percent chance of oblivious 

On 3/20/2019 at 1:42 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

Just a reminder that the Bush administration remains the worst and most destructive administration in recent history. 

Too serious. He gave candy to Michelle. So it's all good now!

43 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Templates in Leadership....

And Never Trumper Kristol responded 

Oh self respect is it? Where the hell were you Bill when Kerry got Swiftboated? Atwater. Does that name ring a bell Bill?

They are all sad that they have to eat the fruit of the harvest they planted long ago. I'll cite the Never Trumpers of J. Rubin, R. Wilson, and W. Kristol because the truth they speak is worth hearing, but they don't get to be absolved of past wrongs without consequences. You were willing to let the ratfuckers run. You fed the base lies. Now that they have developed a taste for fantasy you are aghast?

Yeah, you made the mess. Going to own it?

• Like 4

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/21/agency-spokesperson-twitter-mass-shootings-abortion-1287871

A Federal Highway Administration spokesman made dozens of jokes over the past several years about mass shootings, abortion and the killing of Trayvon Martin, a review of his personal Twitter account shows.

The tweets by Doug Hecox, who is a comedian, writer and adjunct professor in addition to his role at the highway agency, include a 2016 post in which he wrote: "More Republicans would support abortion if they realized how many Democrats it prevents."

The Twitter account was made private shortly before POLITICO inquired about Hecox's tweets. Hecox, who according to his LinkedIn profile has been with agency since 2004, did not respond to a request for comment.

The agency responded by noting that its social media policy allows "limited personal use of Web-based interactive technology sites ... while on breaks or during lunch" and that users' personal views expressed on personal Twitter accounts "do not represent the positions held by the agency." The agency did not address questions about whether the tweets were inappropriate or unethical, however, and its social media policy, last updated in 2011, appears mainly focused on use of official social media accounts or conduct while at work. The agency noted that public affairs staff don't have official social media accounts.

Hecox has tweeted several times about mass shootings. In 2012, on the day 20 children were killed during the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut, Hecox tweeted: "The realist in me thinks the Newtown shooting is a tragedy, but the optimist in me thinks it is a good lesson in subtraction." Newtown was also the subject of several other tweets Hecox posted that day.

Other tweets joked about the 1999 Columbine High School massacre and a 2012 shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo. Hecox tweeted about the Aurora shooting at least seven times in the days following the attack, which killed 12 people and injured 70.

“Thanks to the Aurora shooter, hundreds of moviegoers were spared heart disease from heavily buttered movie popcorn. #silverlining,” one tweet read.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Templates in Leadership....

The semi-casual Trump observer in me thinks Trump has just been lashing out wildly, trying to convince himself that nothing is his fault, that people like McCain fucked him over.   

The old-school conspiracy theory fan in me says Trump is a developer, and he’s good at playing people off against one another, and he spends a large amount of time gauging the loyalty of those around him, and those whose support he needs.  

If you want to gauge somebody’s loyalty to you, you slaughter one of their sacred cows right in front of them, and see if they attack or defend you.  Or in this case, you exhume a sacred cow.  McCain is a bit of a sacred cow for those in the Senate - some of the top/senior-most Republicans considered him a friend.  If you’re Trump, and you want to gauge their loyalty, this is a pretty easy way to do it.   

• Like 1

This is why elections don't matter to many of us when you're having to constantly rely on the court system, a system which has just as many awful conservative members who pick and choose which parts of the constitution they want to rule by.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you want to gauge somebody’s loyalty to you, you slaughter one of their sacred cows right in front of them, and see if they attack or defend you.  Or in this case, you exhume a sacred cow.  McCain is a bit of a sacred cow for those in the Senate - some of the top/senior-most Republicans considered him a friend.  If you’re Trump, and you want to gauge their loyalty, this is a pretty easy way to do it.   

I don't think its that complex, or that Trump put that much thought or calculation into it.  i think its a lot more simple than that - that is, Trump is just a complete piece of garbage with no value whatsoever as a leader or as a human being, and there is no simply no limit to his depravity.  just like his supporters and apologists.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

I don't think its that complex, or that Trump put that much thought or calculation into it.  i think its a lot more simple than that - that is, Trump is just a complete piece of garbage with no value whatsoever as a leader or as a human being, and there is no simply no limit to his depravity.  just like his supporters and apologists.  

I think this is right.  However, what we can evaluate and analyze is the effect of Trump's shittiness. 

You've already adequately determined the cause. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/22/politics/steve-king-hurricane-katrina/index.html

Republican Rep. Steve King, who has a lengthy history of incendiary comments related to race, favorably compared the response of his Iowan constituents, who are majority white, to recent severe flooding to the residents of New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005, who were majority black. 

Speaking at a town hall in his district Thursday, King suggested that Hurricane Katrina disaster victims were asking for government assistance after the deadly storm hit, pushing a racial stereotype. 

"Here's what FEMA tells me. We go to a place like New Orleans, and everybody's looking around saying, 'Who's going to help me? Who's going to help me?'" King said, adding that he made four trips to New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. 

"We go to a place like Iowa, and we go, we go see, knock on the door at, say, I'll make up a name, John's place, and say, 'John, you got water in your basement, we can write you a check, we can help you.' And John will say, 'Well, wait a minute, let me get my boots. It's Joe that needs help. Let's go down to his place and help him,'" King said.

Louisiana legislators swiftly condemned King's remarks, including House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, a Republican who represents a part of New Orleans, who said King's comments were "absurd and offensive." 

"His comments about Katrina victims are absurd and offensive, and are a complete contradiction to the strength and resilience the people of New Orleans demonstrated to the entire nation in the wake of the total devastation they experienced," Scalise said in a statement provided to CNN.

Probably not a good idea to a) sound even more racist and b) piss off the Minority Whip who has an (R) next to his name.  

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult