2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

Man, I never thought of that.  What do fish do for those couple hours of partial or couple minutes of totality?  It'll be a mild day so probably won't make a difference either way very much.  But I've never given any consideration to like a dead of summer or dead of winter eclipse.  What does that do to the fish?  Not like they live long enough to see multiple ones.  High in the Shower thoughts by Deej.  Join us next week for "If you drop acid in the Southern Hemisphere but drive quickly into the Northern Hemisphere before it kicks in, do you hallucinate in Black & White?"  

Overall window in Central Texas is 10:30-1:30p.  Not quite totality, but pretty damn close will be 11:30-12:00p.  Give or take a few minutes depending on your exact position.  Looking to be only light cloud cover so be patient, there'll be some great viewing windows in there.  

34 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Man, I never thought of that.  What do fish do for those couple hours of partial or couple minutes of totality?  It'll be a mild day so probably won't make a difference either way very much.  But I've never given any consideration to like a dead of summer or dead of winter eclipse.  What does that do to the fish?  Not like they live long enough to see multiple ones.  High in the Shower thoughts by Deej.  Join us next week for "If you drop acid in the Southern Hemisphere but drive quickly into the Northern Hemisphere before it kicks in, do you hallucinate in Black & White?"  

Overall window in Central Texas is 10:30-1:30p.  Not quite totality, but pretty damn close will be 11:30-12:00p.  Give or take a few minutes depending on your exact position.  Looking to be only light cloud cover so be patient, there'll be some great viewing windows in there.  

Bass tend to feed more in lower light conditions, in my experience. It's why sunrise and sunset are so productive. I figure I'll get an extra feeding window on Saturday. 

Mine too. But there’s also a circadian rhythm even to subsurface marine life.  Surely a midday blackout would mess with em a little bit but then some modicum of “but we have only been done eating for a couple hours” would kick in.  I dunno.  Can’t take the girls fishing for this one but maybe April one wilL make for a fun experiment and fishing excursion. 

Just a heads up if you have those cheap paper glasses. I got a pair today and tested them. They work well, but they are so narrow that bright sun gets in around them. I did it for only about 10-20 seconds and an hour later my eyes felt like I'd been around someone welding.

I took a piece of cardboard, cut out two eyeholes and then taped the glasses over them to block more light 

I don't trust the paper glasses ... just my opinion.  I will be making a pinhole camera to check it out, which is really simple to do.

Something to check out during the eclipse tomorrow.  Find a tree with leaves throwing a shadow on the ground, or on a building.  You may see some half moon shapes, which is pretty cool.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I don't trust the paper glasses ... just my opinion.  I will be making a pinhole camera to check it out, which is really simple to do.

Something to check out during the eclipse tomorrow.  Find a tree with leaves throwing a shadow on the ground, or on a building.  You may see some half moon shapes, which is pretty cool.

Eclipse shadows from the live oak tree in my front yard during the 2017 partial eclipse.  Didn’t know this happens and I noticed it as I was going into the house to get some stuff to view with.    A programmable shade level welding helmet also works pretty good  for viewing eclipses.

E37BF87E-1A5C-422E-90D7-148A7CE638C7.thumb.jpeg.a2da342ecfffc1a1721f50c9fd0a37f9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So looks like about 11:50 am in Austin right?

For me it’s already worth checking out now if you have glasses or a viewer as the moon started peeking over the sun about 20 minutes ago.

Such a small and simple visual, but I find it so cool to look at.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 2