Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The world at large seems to think Ukraine can hold them off. This is not CR but during the Obama Administration, their CIA Director said that they were reluctant to arm Ukraine with sophisticated weaponry (Javelins) for fear the technology would fall into Russia’s hands. The world is just handing Ukraine now what they can without regard for this now to help them fight and to win. This gives me hope that Ukraine can hold those fuckers off and defeat them. Not a criticism of the decision back then. It’s a statement in what is happening right now. Short of NATO firing weapons and aircraft at them or creating a no fly zone they are doing the most they can. 

There was also a concern that sending weapons to Ukraine so soon after the revolution that it would be seen as a provocation.    

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Giving Ukranians planes seems fine. When we get volunteers to fly jets in Ukraine, Russia probably won't take it so well.

Following Zelenskyy’s Twitter (the replies) it looks like a few thousand people are so are taking up the call to join his foreign fighters deal. Hopefully, they can hold off that convoy because it will become much harder to join that fight if not impossible for those trying to get in to fight. 

21 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I heard a CNBC/Bloomberg//someone/biz reporter say "high-end electronics" specifically were showing a sales spike in ruskie-land immediately from the sanctions news, and did not give any other reasons. Remembered it because it was weird.

If your cash isn't worth anything any more, you might as well convert it to something of tangible value. High end electronics are probably a pretty good investment for the short term. 

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Obviously those countries aren't giving those planes after all so maybe the whole thing is off, but basing combat planes in Poland is one hell of an escalation.

Well, Ukraine is going to be consistently disappointed. At the end of the day, it really will be them against Russia. They’re not going to be accepted into the EU or NATO. They’re not going to be able to use planes launched from bordering air bases. They’re not going to be able to set up bases in NATO countries from which to launch attacks. 

At the end of the day there really is a bit of the west using them as a body shield against Russia. If Russia wasn’t a nuclear power maybe other options would be on the table. But they are. 

The biggest lesson to me is, if you gain access to a large nuclear arsenal, for goodness sakes do not give it up for the sake of assurances of sovereignty. No assurance is ever going to be as strong as having those nukes. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

Wonder if the Russian troops just ditched it so it wouldnt be used? Sorry Vlad, it was stuck🤷‍♂️

It looked like it was still chugging along to me. The odd thing to me, unless this is being recorded from inside a Russian vehicle, is why a civilian was allowed next to a machine like that, and why it was way out there on its own like a stray puppy.

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

How could anyone really take a credible poll of the Russian people? And if you could, how would you account for people who have no outside information and only hear what the regime puts out?

The Levada Center does a pretty decent job of polling inside Russia.  There are some local variables you have to control for (e.g., respondents' suspicion that a pollster may be working for the security services), but it can be done.

As to people who have no outside information, their opinion needs to show up in a poll.  I mean, if 50% support the war, then it's worth knowing that 50% support the war, irrespective of their reasons for their support.

24 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I think that may be the housing transport-vehicle part of the rocket that contained all the cluster-bomb bomblets.

Or, maybe it is a rocket-dud. Fuck Putin!

Yeah--that's the housing for the bomblets.  We've seen those all over Kharkiv, and it's pretty clear evidence that the Russians are using cluster munitions.

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

It looked like it was still chugging along to me. The odd thing to me, unless this is being recorded from inside a Russian vehicle, is why a civilian was allowed next to a machine like that, and why it was way out there on its own like a stray puppy.

After watching it on the desktop I think you are right, but yeah, looks ripe for the picking

5 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I think many people really underestimate the hate the Polish still have for the Russians..  We may see all the downsides of this, but I don't think they are going to care..

I completely understand it.    I'm a history major with a big interest in European history.   It's not just the last  80 years either.   Russia (and Prussians/Germans/the Austro-Hungarians) have fucked them over for several centuries.   

Edited by Macanudo
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

I completely understand it.    I'm a history major with a big interest in European history.   It's not just the last  80 years either.   Russia (and Prussians/Germans/the Austro-Hungarians) have fucked them over for several centuries.   

One of my closest friends grew up in Poland before the USSR crumbled. Very few things really get him fired up, but Russians in general and Russians getting killed in war fires him up to a level I would have never expected.

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

I think many people really underestimate the hate the Polish still have for the Russians..  We may see all the downsides of this, but I don't think they are going to care..

I don’t underestimate it. It goes back centuries to clashes with the Polish empire. The war in Ukraine after the fall of the Tzar was between Polish backed Ukrainians seeking independence and the Russian backed Bolsheviks. Then there’s the Katyn massacre. The Soviet occupation and subjugation under the Iron Curtain. 

Then there’s the Smolensk air disaster, which many Poles believe was orchestrated by Russia. These are just highlights. A metric shit ton of grievances regarding Russia on the Polish side. 

Which still doesn’t mean the Ukrainians are going to be allowed to operate fighter jets out of Poland. That’s not going to happen. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-russian-news-agency-berlin-faces-staff-exodus-over-ukraine-invasion-2022-02-28/

ERLIN, Feb 28 (Reuters) - Ruptly, a Russian state-owned news agency based in Berlin, is facing a staff exodus after President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine that is part of a broader contraction of Russia's global news empire.

• Like 1