Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

They want nothing to do with this. This was a massive miscalculation on Putin’s part that is going to get him killed. They lose Swift and he’s toast.

Yeah it's clear some portion of his army wants no part of this shitshow. When you're losing parts of your own army 3 days into this shitshow,  and the whole world sees it thanks to real time social media, it's gotta be a kick in the nuts for 'ole pootie poot.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sadly, he'll probably just rachet up the crazy because backing down at this point is the certain end for him. Continuing on may be as well, but it's not a certainty.

8 hours ago, MillerEP said:

They do enough. We had these around on a few patrols I went on when I was in Iraq. Tanks aren't great in urban environments, they're just really slow fuel guzzling guns with really poor visibility. They need infantry to support their operations. They batten down the hatch then the only thing they can see is through the optics above the gun, which can be damaged by intense heat. 

edit: Because of this exact reason the USMC decided to get rid of all their tanks, so we no longer have Tank Bns in the Marines.

8 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Burning fuel gets into the engine compartment and does bad things to fuel lines.  The rupture, adding to the fire, then other stuff starts burning.  Fuel will also get into the ventilation system.  Both of these make the vehicle untenable, forcing the occupants out into a hostile environment.  So, immediate explosion and catastrophic failure, no.  But eventually the vehicle is destroyed.

This place is so great.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

This is absolutely bottling. How the fuck have they not cratered every airstrip in the country? How are they not hitting every aircraft that lands with something from a cheap drone?  Russia is either sand bagging like hell, or their military capability is dogshit. It’s very binary. 

• Hook 'Em 5

With Russia not actually declaring war or publicly acknowledging they are attacking cities, is there a point where Putin pulls back to the eastern territories and claims he stopped the genocide and won? It seems that or leveling everything are the only options. You can’t win a war with someone that doesn’t want you there just by marching some troops into a city. He has to have figured out by now his force isn’t a liberating force to the Ukrainians.

But, uh, this isn't going too well for Russia is it? I'm not even talking about the actual boots on the ground operation. They've been shunned from the world, have few or no real allies, is seen globally as the aggressor, and is now in a position where they essentially three options -- 1. Pull out (surely hurts the military power image they like to project and no one is scared of Russia anymore), 2. Keep with a longer slog and heavier losses, or 3. Step up their campaign with more aggression and move even more into pariah state.

I assume they will go with choice 3, which may "win" them Ukraine but will be an absolute mess.

6 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

This is absolutely bottling. How the fuck have they not cratered every airstrip in the country? How are they not hitting every aircraft that lands with something from a cheap drone?  Russia is either sand bagging like hell, or their military capability is dogshit. It’s very binary. 

If they are sandbagging, it was a bad decision. Gave the rest of the world time to unite against this shit once they sensed weakness.

8 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

If you think you are going to overwhelm and occupy you want intact infrastructure for your occupation. Once they realize that isn’t going to happen that may change. 

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

If you think you are going to overwhelm and occupy you want intact infrastructure for your occupation. Once they realize that isn’t going to happen that may change. 

Airstrips aren’t that difficult to repair, and when air superiority is in question, you fix the bigger problem first.  Losing heavies and morale is the bigger problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

With Russia not actually declaring war or publicly acknowledging they are attacking cities, is there a point where Putin pulls back to the eastern territories and claims he stopped the genocide and won? It seems that or leveling everything are the only options. You can’t win a war with someone that doesn’t want you there just by marching some troops into a city. He has to have figured out by now his force isn’t a liberating force to the Ukrainians.

Doing so will show weakness, and he'll be torn to pieces by the Russians.

Very hard to decipher what Putin’s logic is/was.  Worldwide sentiment is such that now there is no way he will be allowed to take the country or install a puppet regime.  He’s committed enough that the domestic consequences of retreating would be catastrophic to him.

Seriously odd.  And scary.  Illogical mf with nukes scare me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Snake Diggity said:

Very hard to decipher what Putin’s logic is/was.  Worldwide sentiment is such that now there is no way he will be allowed to take the country or install a puppet regime.  He’s committed enough that the domestic consequences of retreating would be catastrophic to him.

image.jpeg.4f0867abb55c4e661b89efe157772258.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I'm similarly scared. You have to wonder what safeguards they have between a Putin order to order to launch nukes and launching. Are there generals that could intervene? MAD still applies but if he becomes truly unhinged maybe he doesn't care. Probably more likely is tactical nukes in Ukraine but where does that lead?

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

But, uh, this isn't going too well for Russia is it? I'm not even talking about the actual boots on the ground operation. They've been shunned from the world, have few or no real allies, is seen globally as the aggressor, and is now in a position where they essentially three options -- 1. Pull out (surely hurts the military power image they like to project and no one is scared of Russia anymore), 2. Keep with a longer slog and heavier losses, or 3. Step up their campaign with more aggression and move even more into pariah state.

I assume they will go with choice 3, which may "win" them Ukraine but will be an absolute mess.

Just Ctrl+Z or Alt-F4

You gotta think that Putin really believed his own bullshit about liberating Ukraine.  That, at least in the east, they would be mostly welcomed.  Combine that with some military yes men and I think he seriously misunderestimated this whole thing.   And, yes, I think he believed that he wouldn't have to flatten the cities to achieve his objectives and considered that a plus, again because I think he thought this was another Crimea that would welcome being restored to the Rodina.

He really thought they were going to roll in, "shock and awe," and really cow the west.  Honestly, I thought that's what would happen too.  It makes a certain amount of sense, too in that, other than Syria, which is a different battlefield entirely, I don't think Russia has had to extend their supply lines very far since Afghanistan, and that was a different "Russia," but it still lost.

My God I am impressed with the Ukrainians, and, despite the diplomatic and political waffling of the west, the humanitarian and military aid is gratifying.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brew said:

21 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Well, you can win the war…if you are willing to go scorched earth.  But this isn’t Chechen.  The Ukrainians are to the Russians like Texans are to the South.  

Artillery shelling Khiv into rubble is not what the Russians want to do here (and rn it’s looks like they couldn’t even if they wanted to)

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй