Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

10 minutes ago, pops said:

Yeah. They all work for nsa just outside of salt lake. 

1 minute ago, troph said:

Is anonymous worth a shit anymore? Seems like they are best at posting creepy threatening tweets? 

This is my point. I always assumed they were affiliated with our government somehow. If that’s known or suspected by the Russians then we’re wading into this a bit further. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Immaculate Vibes said:

This is my point. I always assumed they were affiliated with our government somehow. If that’s known or suspected by the Russians then we’re wading into this a bit further. 

When was the last time they were truly effective?  I don’t think they are NSA, I think they are just nerds in a basement but I’ll admit I have no idea. 

54 minutes ago, pops said:

Maybe Russia doesn't have nearly the assets we thought,  and more importantly,  maybe the rank and file Russian soldier doesn't give a fuck about putin or Ukraine. I mean most probably didn't grow up under soviet rule but their parents did and they have to be like what the fuck are we even doing. 

There is a saying in Russia that translates basically to “no matter what story you are telling, here in Russia you can always add to the end ‘and it then got worse’ and it remains true.”

The Russian army for all of mankind has had numbers, not stability. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Well, we knew the Soviet military was in extreme disarray 30 years ago when the USSR failed.

I think we've tended to believe Russia has gotten its shit together, but we know it's economy remains pretty much a shambles and that makes it hard to really build back up.

And, we've only "seen" them operate in pretty small scale, localized conflicts.

And, of course, there's the morale problem that's exacerbated by attacking what are for most purposes their own people.

Maybe they do kinda suck.

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

However. I do know Russian special forces are the best trained, geared, motivated soldiers in the army, and he allegedly has close to 30k of them in the theater. Perhaps they’ve made a difference in ways in forward operations we’re simply unaware of? 

They are very good. In the same league as US, British, and Israeli Tier 1 units in most aspects.

I don’t think we’ll see the real picture about the state of Russia’s conventional military until days or weeks from now. They won’t be ready to challenge the US anytime soon, if ever. Time and filtering of bullshit will tell where they really stand.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Is anonymous worth a shit anymore? Seems like they are best at posting creepy threatening tweets? 

That's a good point.  One of these "we're going to advocate for perpetual victims by bringing down institutional evil" groups would do really well to crash comms for Russia right now.  I appreciate their skill level, anonymity, and chaos...but enough with the spending two years trying to expose some blackmail payments of some obscure billionaire in Malaysia.  Do something fucking cool, and big, and fight fucking now.  fuck up Russia and her American co-conspirators.  Be bold and great forces will come to your aid.

15 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

This is kind of normal for wars breaking out, but info seems to be all over the place and to a degree conflicting.  Despite the apparent success reported here in many posts by the Ukrainians on holding off Russia (or more appropriately, sticking it to them), along with stories of military hardware turning into scrap, most of the major reporting isn't really reflecting this.  And in fact, I'm hearing now that most military strategists are expecting Kiev to fall within 2-3 days max.  One credible report just released has Zelenskyy now moved to a secure bunker in anticipation of the Russians taking the city, and other reports say that they're well on their way to Kyiv now.  Or is the strategy to take Kyiv and all the other shit is just theater?  I don't know.

But whatever it is, it seems like the group media is still far more fatalistic than these individual social media tweets and posts.

I think it's inevitable that Kyiv is taken; after that it's all a total dice roll.

Maybe we have read Vladimir wrong again.  He doesn't need to take on the Ukranian army directly and it was all a feint and his spec ops guys have gone into targeted killings already.  They know where everyone is.  It's day 2 of the war and he hasn't captured a single target yet.  It's really confusing.  He's toying.with us so bad.  

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Field reporters are crazy mother fuckers. Wow

I had a photographer friend lose the bottom of her face and most of her throat to a sniper in Sarajevo.  Margaret Moth  She survived, barely.  Spent years in Houston freelancing while she had her face reconstructed.  Toughest person I've ever met.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Raise your hand if you had this on your bingo card

Their twitter accounts were very active last night, but I didn't include them in the lists I posted in this thread, as they were posting some fake/mislabled stuff, but they definitely had a bug up their ass about Russia and this invasion.

Would be cool if their attacks were distracting Russia's hacker folks.  And hell, some Russian hackers may moonlight on the side as anonymous hackers.

6 minutes ago, dcbc said:

An independent group just declared cyber war on a nation.  Just want to say that this feels like an expressed turning point in that realm, which is a big deal for all of us.

It is not a big deal. The Russian hacking groups have been doing this to the West for years. This also was occurring back in 2003 when the U.S. invaded Iraq by American groups.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, we knew the Soviet military was in extreme disarray 30 years ago when the USSR failed.

I think we've tended to believe Russia has gotten its shit together, but we know it's economy remains pretty much a shambles and that makes it hard to really build back up.

And, we've only "seen" them operate in pretty small scale, localized conflicts.

And, of course, there's the morale problem that's exacerbated by attacking what are for most purposes their own people.

Maybe they do kinda suck.

This is big hole in the argument comparing Putin’s potential to Hitler. Germany had spent years becoming an industrial powerhouse and building out their military. Russia today is just not on the level economically that’s necessary to sustain a campaign of aggressive expansion. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Maybe we have read Vladimir wrong again.  He doesn't need to take on the Ukranian army directly and it was all a feint and his spec ops guys have gone into targeted killings already.  They know where everyone is.  It's day 2 of the war and he hasn't captured a single target yet.  It's really confusing.  He's toying.with us so bad.  

To your point I was wondering out loud if he’s trying to topple Zelensky and quickly install a puppet government, maintain infrastructure and call it a win. I mean there are serious problems with that as a strategy but then that would be misguided not completely inept at shock and awe, oops now I’m losing actual assets because I can’t do what I set out to do type failure. 

I mean it seems like he didn’t even launch a major air offensive over night like what was expected. 

This is bizarre. 

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

International volunteers on the ground is being reported. Video is just sound, but interesting. 

Knew two people who went to go fight with the Kurds.  Two completely different experiences.  One guy went to the front line.  Did some stuff.  Another one for robbed of all his shit and left on the side of the road.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

This is big hole in the argument comparing Putin’s potential to Hitler. Germany had spent years becoming an industrial powerhouse and building out their military. Russia today is just not on the level economically that’s necessary to sustain a campaign of aggressive expansion. 

Also remember the USSR - the most stable and controlling regime we’ve really ever seen - went from full ordinary power and planning “elections” to collapse within 3 days. 

Russia has a ton of internal money - Putin spent the entire Trump admin building is warchest (not cr, that’s why Trump and Putin were cozy - cash) BUT once oligarchs can no longer purchase fuel in Malta shit gets real for Putin, and real fast.  

46 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I thought the conventional wisdom was that you need a 2-3x numerical advantage to overtake an entrenched defending enemy. 190k troops to overrun a country of 45 million seems low, no? And as others have said, the Ukrainians almost certainly have a huge advantage in motivation. Russia most likely prevails eventually, but there’s no way the plan was to fumble around and get your air assets and armor destroyed for the first 24 hours, THEN unleash the real assault.

The Atlantic interviewed David Petraeus in the last couple of days and he thought it wasn't enough troops for taking on a country with 50% more population than Iraq and pointed out about 80-85% of the Iraqi people cheered the US on which ain't happening for Russia in the Ukraine. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/02/david-petraeus-ukraine-russia-invasion/622893/

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, pops said:

I mean think if you invaded California with 30% more people and they all were off the same mindset of those that live in like Victorville or Palmdale or the salton sea. And you only brought 190k to a gunfight. You might blow some shit up but good luck holding it. 

No mention of The Palisades?

1 hour ago, pops said:

It's one thing to shoot shells or drop bombs, but going door to door and killing people that look a lot like you and sound a lot like you and you don't even know why you're doing it?   I don't know man. That takes a special kind of depravity. 

Well, you're not much fun on a Saturday night, are you?

• Haha 1

To your point I was wondering out loud if he’s trying to topple Zelensky and quickly install a puppet government, maintain infrastructure and call it a win. I mean there are serious problems with that as a strategy but then that would be misguided not completely inept at shock and awe, oops now I’m losing actual assets because I can’t do what I set out to do type failure. 

I mean it seems like he didn’t even launch a major air offensive over night like what was expected. 

This is bizarre. 

Maybe all the Olis rolled back into town after looking at what just one day of war did to the only thing they really care about and told P to slow his drip.

46cf0380b77dd85587c5059ca9c3e895.jpeg

41 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

This is a really weird war/invasion.  Really isolated fighting.  Armor columns marching through unmolested.  Civilians chewing out soldiers.  Paratroopers love streaming on TikTok.  This is possibly the event that triggers world war 3.  Just kinda surreal.

You forgot about the Tinder:
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3407347/russian-soldiers-were-hitting-up-ukrainian-women-on-tinder-prior-to-the-invasion

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, troph said:

This is bizarre. 

Nab Kyiv, keep the lights on, maybe race down the river, try to install a puppet government, stay on the eastern side of the river, ask for negotiations.

That's what I've got at this point, because clearly he does not have enough troops to take much past the river.

And all of that armor and APCs and large supply vehicles/fuel trucks require bridges, and Ukraine has tens of thousands of rivers/creeks.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nab Kyiv, keep the lights on, maybe race down the river, try to install a puppet government, stay on the eastern side of the river, ask for negotiations.

That's what I've got at this point, because clearly he does not have enough troops to take much past the river.

And all of that armor and APCs and large supply vehicles/fuel trucks require bridges, and Ukraine has tens of thousands of rivers/creeks.

LTC on CNN says restraint is because he thought he’d win in an instant and then overthrow the government. He said they are hunting for their targets in Kyiv now. Said if it gets harder for them, the gloves will come off the Russians will bomb civilian targets with impunity. 

that makes some sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The Russian army for all of mankind has had numbers, not stability. 

59 minutes ago, troph said:

War is expensive I’m curious about the intersection of Russian finances and the sanctions. If he’s fighting this on a budget he’s got a dynamic to consider that really doesn’t belong in a war started by a “super power” and watching this in comparison to Desert Storm and other US campaigns is kinda of shocking. The US can print money the Russians not so much. That may be the biggest distinction. 

If he's fighting on a serious budget, then he's lost already if he wants to take all of Ukraine.  There should not be Ukrainian fighters in the air, and Ukrainians should not be taking out convoys (the convoys shouldn't have been sent in until the artillery and missiles had done their thing as well, unless for night operations).

And if he's relying on the yearly conscripts, I don't see how this ends well. They won't have the institutional knowledge to function effectively, and they'll probably be more afraid of their NCOs than Ukrainian soldiers.

With the budget stuff - take the night vision gear:

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

They dont have it from what I can tell.  It'd be attached already.

I haven't seen any either, although I'm sure we have not seen their Spetsnatz/etc. troops, but how many of the 190,000 or so can that actually be?

I still feel like it's less than 50,000 actual infantry, and I feel like I'm being generous, but even at 60,000 or 70,000 actual infantry, a shitload of those will be conscripts, because the contract/trained folks will be driving and maintaining the vehicles, tanks, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй