Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Come get yer guns.

️ATTENTION Additional weapons are being brought to Kyiv. On the morning of February 25, a place to receive weapons in Kyiv for those who join the Troo. Shevchenkivskyi bn, street Pugacheva, 10. Holosiivskyi bn., Street Glushkova, 9. Obolonsky bn., 20 Polyarna Street, (generator plant)

• Hook 'Em 1

Honestly, this is something that I think people in modern times have a hard time understanding and accepting, but guys like Dan Carlin in hard core history due a pretty good job talking about philisophically when they talk about extinction of a culture or group  He has a really interesting one on the Celtic holocaust and he starts out by asking the question- what would be worth fighting for and risking not your life (tons of people will risk their own lives) but the lives of your children, your neighbors, your culture and your way of life?  I know lots here would say nothing is worth that price or cost, but we've seen cultures in times before ours make the level headed decision that they would fight to the last man, woman and child and bring on the extermination of their people over something they believed in enough.

The Ukrainians lived through this shit before being under the thumb of the Soviets. If they decide they aren't going back to that and they are going to fight to the death with every able bodied man and risk everything that entails that's something that is hard, I think, for us to fathom in this modern world, but incredibly admirable if done in a clear eyed way. 

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friend.  

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom- Mel Gibson from Braveheart 

I'm in amazement if they decide to carry this out and all the 18-60 year olds stay and fight. Because it will be a slaughter.  And they could certainly have gotten out, or lay down their arms at any time. But if they don't?  we are watching a modern day Celtic Holocaust at the worst, and a living breathing 300 at the battle of Thermopylae at best. 

It just felt like all this was over forever.    

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Oh yeah the city would crumble, but if the Ukrainian people want to fight it looks like they'll be able to do that. This whole time I've expected Ukrainians to say "fuck it, not worth it. I'll live under Moscow's rule again", but to my surprise that hasn't happened.

The events of the Maidan Revolution in 2013 and 2014 were incredible. I was in awe at the time. Basically it was a watershed moment where the Russian speaking president, fairly elected in 2010 (according to third party observers), albeit by a small margin, was given choices to lean towards Europe of lean towards Russia. He chose Russia. It was widely suspected he was a corrupt stooge of the Kremlin (later proven). The protests at Maidan Square became larger and larger as the Ukrainian president dug in his heels. During freezing weather, and then facing security forces who opened fire, killing demonstrators. Still they came, in their hundreds of thousands. 

This is what led to the coup Russia accuses the West and the US specifically of manufactirung. And there is evidence of funding, especially through various pro democracy NGOs. Frankly, the same is true for the Arab Spring whose peaceful existence lasted from 2010 to mid 2012. Remember, 2014 was the time of the Libyan overthrow of Ghaddafi as well as the beginnings of the Syria Civil War. Any money coming from Western sources, particularly US, are always going to be linked to CIA involvement. 2012 is when Putin maneuvered constitutional removal of term limits for the Russian presidency and truly began consolidating his power to another level. 

The Kremlin pressured the Ukrainian president to go full Assad against the protestors, but instead he fled across the border. 

In any event, regardless of Western involvement in funding the Maidan Revolution, they didn’t manufacture those hundreds of thousands of protesters. Ukraine has a genuine identity separate from Russia. There is a huge resentment in a large part of the population at Moscow’s meddling. It’s not the whole country. The Russian speakers in Ukraine (about 27%) tend to be way more sympathetic to Russia. But even there polls have shown a shift away from Russia from significant parts of this populace. 

I am sure there’s a great will to fight. Heck, I’ve seen it while following the events over the last 8 years in the Donbas. And while they’re Ukrainian, they are a great part of what we think about when we think of Russian cultural identity. There’s a fatalistic attitude towards life among the Ukrainians in the same way there is among Russians. Meh, we fight. We die. Such is life. It ends up manifesting itself in great acts of bravery. 

I don’t know that it changes the outcome. Someone else posted about the Chechnyan blueprint above. They’ll find someone willing to be the titular head of government, rake in massive amounts of money while blatantly stealing from the economy along with their cohorts, and with Russian occupation forces brutally suppress any opposition. But it hasn’t happened, yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Maybe didn't get it far enough. (Also I think I read he has 2 of 'em.)

They misspelled "sunk."  It should be torpedoed and sunk.  Seize it.  Tell some local Ukrainians where it is.  Then leave it completely unguarded.....with a bomb strapped to it, with a button that says "push here to start 1 minute timer."

Good on Ukraine, they're standing up, and providing stiffer resistance than the Russians expected:

Also, this Russian squad surrendered, and supposedly they weren't even told they were going into the Ukraine to kill anyone:

A military squad surrendered to the Ukrainian Armed Forces close to Chernihiv | Ukrayinska Pravda

Russia soldiers stand down as they 'didn't know they were sent to kill' | World | News | Express.co.uk

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Its time for a Doolittle run on Moscow. Is it possible to fly a couple of fighter jets low and hard from Ukraine to Moscow without running out of fuel or being picked up on radar? Send a few Sidewinder type of missiles into the Kremlin. 

Dr Strangelove GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm in amazement if they decide to carry this out and all the 18-60 year olds stay and fight. Because it will be a slaughter.  And they could certainly have gotten out, or lay down their arms at any time. But if they don't?  we are watching a modern day Celtic Holocaust at the worst, and a living breathing 300 at the battle of Thermopylae at best. 

William Barrett and roughly 200 others could relate...

travis-full_1024x1024.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Its time for a Doolittle run on Moscow. Is it possible to fly a couple of fighter jets low and hard from Ukraine to Moscow without running out of fuel or being picked up on radar? Send a few Sidewinder type of missiles into the Kremlin. 

Unless the Kremlin flies, the Aim -9 ain't your weapon of choice.

5 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Good on Ukraine, they're standing up, and providing stiffer resistance than the Russians expected:

Also, this Russian squad surrendered, and supposedly they weren't even told they were going into the Ukraine to kill anyone:

A military squad surrendered to the Ukrainian Armed Forces close to Chernihiv | Ukrayinska Pravda

Russia soldiers stand down as they 'didn't know they were sent to kill' | World | News | Express.co.uk

I wonder if they have any of those runway denial bombs we have that put like, 5,000 potholes in the runway and make it unuseable. They now know the plan was to secure the airport and use it as a way to land more troops and material. I'd figure out a way to make those runways inoperable. 

5 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

They’d be all wasted within a few minutes of crossing the border. Russia has some of the best air defense systems in the world. Flying “under” radar is a Vietnam era tactic.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

They’d be all wasted within a few minutes of crossing the border. Russia has some of the best air defense systems in the world. Flying “under” radar is a Vietnam era tactic.

That and Putin is nowhere near the Kremlin. He's probably in their equivalent of the Cheyenne Mountain complex.

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

So see you fly around and hit St Petersburg from the Baltic, then Russia assumes it was a NATO attack, and boom Ukraine is saved....then turned to dust.

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Unless you are an 18 year old German in a rented Cessna. 

image.png.8da1afb1f2116d6a54438d728d87d802.png

https://theworld.org/stories/2012-12-07/remembering-mathias-rusts-flight-red-square

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Hell yeah, make it hurt.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

just pointing out what has already been posted.  

Just because we are getting some ukrainian informaiton, dont believe its even remotely accurate.

we want to believe its true, but so far its just a verified guy who is clearly biased telling his side of the story

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I wonder if they have any of those runway denial bombs we have that put like, 5,000 potholes in the runway and make it unuseable. They now know the plan was to secure the airport and use it as a way to land more troops and material. I'd figure out a way to make those runways inoperable. 

Hell just park a couple dozen hoopties out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

russian ingenuity. there's no fucking way we lose a war to these assholes.

We basically lost a war to dudes in caves shooting Russian guns made in 1973. Winning a war that is unconventional is not really a thing, and a shooting war with Russia would be unconventional even though we maybe can outpower them. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

12 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I hope they torched that shit.

They should put every piece of Russian equipment across the road splatter them in pigs' blood, or whatever, light them on fire, and blow some up, and make a bunch of fake disembodied body parts out of every Russian looking uniform they can get their hands on. Psyops.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Honestly, this is something that I think people in modern times have a hard time understanding and accepting, but guys like Dan Carlin in hard core history due a pretty good job talking about philisophically when they talk about extinction of a culture or group  He has a really interesting one on the Celtic holocaust and he starts out by asking the question- what would be worth fighting for and risking not your life (tons of people will risk their own lives) but the lives of your children, your neighbors, your culture and your way of life?  I know lots here would say nothing is worth that price or cost, but we've seen cultures in times before ours make the level headed decision that they would fight to the last man, woman and child and bring on the extermination of their people over something they believed in enough.

The Ukrainians lived through this shit before being under the thumb of the Soviets. If they decide they aren't going back to that and they are going to fight to the death with every able bodied man and risk everything that entails that's something that is hard, I think, for us to fathom in this modern world, but incredibly admirable if done in a clear eyed way. 

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friend.  

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom- Mel Gibson from Braveheart 

It just felt like all this was over forever.    

We’re still human. I think this is my biggest problem with idealists. The ones who want to end racism, or bullying, or misogyny, or a variety of characteristics they’ve deemed unfit. It doesn’t work that way. We are tribal at our core. Tribalism at its heart requires an other. The existence of the tribe will always be under threat from other tribes. We’re never getting around this fundamental aspect of human nature. While our brains are absolutely magical mechanisms, and we do have the ability to reprogram ourselves in ways no other species capable of doing, to try to reprogram id level wiring - which is what tribalism is - requires such a level of wholesale repression as a society you’d have to become the monster you’re trying to eradicate. 

If you study the history of mankind, or even just the relatively recent history of homo sapient, the number of genocidal events is astonishing. There’s a movement to vilify White males specifically, but this cuts across all boundaries of the species. Plenty of evidence of genocide in North, Central, and South America. Asia. The Polynesian Islands, particularly originating from New Zealand. Africa. And of course Europe, where one of the first round of settlers practiced widespread cannibalism, the Romans were famous for ruthlessly executing whole towns that held uprisings, and then plenty of others way more famous. 

There is an element in many of us that seeks power. One of the most compelling ways to gain that power is at the head of a tribe, appealing to the specialness of the tribe, while decrying enemies as lesser. When such a leader gains enough power, an inevitable conclusion is to wipe out the other in some way. History is a rinse and repeat of that. We’re not ever getting away from it. 

Now, I don’t think there’s any chance Ukraine becomes a genocide, mind you. Putin sees Ukrainians as full on Russian stock. But this idea we’re ever getting away from mortal combat in deciding which tribes get to continue to exist and which ones get wiped from history is a special kind of innocence a society can never afford to indulge. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

We’re still human. I think this is my biggest problem with idealists. The ones who want to end racism, or bullying, or misogyny, or a variety of characteristics they’ve deemed unfit. It doesn’t work that way. We are tribal at our core. Tribalism at its heart requires an other. The existence of the tribe will always be under threat from other tribes. We’re never getting around this fundamental aspect of human nature. While our brains are absolutely magical mechanisms, and we do have the ability to reprogram ourselves in ways no other species capable of doing, to try to reprogram id level wiring - which is what tribalism is - requires such a level of wholesale repression as a society you’d have to become the monster you’re trying to eradicate. 

If you study the history of mankind, or even just the relatively recent history of homo sapient, the number of genocidal events is astonishing. There’s a movement to vilify White males specifically, but this cuts across all boundaries of the species. Plenty of evidence of genocide in North, Central, and South America. Asia. The Polynesian Islands, particularly originating from New Zealand. Africa. And of course Europe, where one of the first round of settlers practiced widespread cannibalism, the Romans were famous for ruthlessly executing whole towns that held uprisings, and then plenty of others way more famous. 

There is an element in many of us that seeks power. One of the most compelling ways to gain that power is at the head of a tribe, appealing to the specialness of the tribe, while decrying enemies as lesser. When such a leader gains enough power, an inevitable conclusion is to wipe out the other in some way. History is a rinse and repeat of that. We’re not ever getting away from it. 

Now, I don’t think there’s any chance Ukraine becomes a genocide, mind you. Putin sees Ukrainians as full on Russian stock. But this idea we’re ever getting away from mortal combat in deciding which tribes get to continue to exist and which ones get wiped from history is a special kind of innocence a society can never afford to indulge. 

Never is a very long time.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй