Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We basically lost a war to dudes in caves shooting Russian guns made in 1973. Winning a war that is unconventional is not really a thing, and a shooting war with Russia would be unconventional even though we maybe can outpower them. 

Lol. We could have flattened the place and left. The occupation was a disaster. 

And yes, Russia would get wiped out by our military. Not that it will ever come to that (hopefully)

17 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

So see you fly around and hit St Petersburg from the Baltic, then Russia assumes it was a NATO attack, and boom Ukraine is saved....then turned to dust.

Stuck around St Petersburg

when I saw it was time for a change

Killed Vlad & his ministers 

Katerina screamed in vain

rode a tank held a general’s rank

when the blitzkrieg raged

and the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

just pointing out what has already been posted.  

Just because we are getting some ukrainian informaiton, dont believe its even remotely accurate.

we want to believe its true, but so far its just a verified guy who is clearly biased telling his side of the story

Truth is always the first casualty of war, but it’s even worse here. The only way I’m truly going to believe any account is when it’s shown which side actually occupies an area. 

That said, I’m still going to cheer on Ukrainian reported victories and hope they’re true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm really hoping the "Ukrainian Defense Ministry" didn't create this and that they are occupying their time with something a little more important....

This is going to go down well with Vlad's ego.  I hope to God this wasn't a mere teaser before the 'full' invasion.

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

We’re still human. I think this is my biggest problem with idealists. The ones who want to end racism, or bullying, or misogyny, or a variety of characteristics they’ve deemed unfit. It doesn’t work that way. We are tribal at our core. Tribalism at its heart requires an other. The existence of the tribe will always be under threat from other tribes. We’re never getting around this fundamental aspect of human nature. While our brains are absolutely magical mechanisms, and we do have the ability to reprogram ourselves in ways no other species capable of doing, to try to reprogram id level wiring - which is what tribalism is - requires such a level of wholesale repression as a society you’d have to become the monster you’re trying to eradicate. 

If you study the history of mankind, or even just the relatively recent history of homo sapient, the number of genocidal events is astonishing. There’s a movement to vilify White males specifically, but this cuts across all boundaries of the species. Plenty of evidence of genocide in North, Central, and South America. Asia. The Polynesian Islands, particularly originating from New Zealand. Africa. And of course Europe, where one of the first round of settlers practiced widespread cannibalism, the Romans were famous for ruthlessly executing whole towns that held uprisings, and then plenty of others way more famous. 

There is an element in many of us that seeks power. One of the most compelling ways to gain that power is at the head of a tribe, appealing to the specialness of the tribe, while decrying enemies as lesser. When such a leader gains enough power, an inevitable conclusion is to wipe out the other in some way. History is a rinse and repeat of that. We’re not ever getting away from it. 

Now, I don’t think there’s any chance Ukraine becomes a genocide, mind you. Putin sees Ukrainians as full on Russian stock. But this idea we’re ever getting away from mortal combat in deciding which tribes get to continue to exist and which ones get wiped from history is a special kind of innocence a society can never afford to indulge. 

Thanks for the input Jordan Peterson.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Eastwood said:
3 hours ago, troph said:
different nukes, not blow up the world nukes but definitely not a line we are likely willing to cross ourselves. In fact, it sounds like we don't even have these types of nukes.

To add to this, the United States tinkered with similar battlefield nukes that could be launched with artillery or even launched off of a stand with the Davy Crockett system. Both were shown to be too dangerous to friendly ground troops and our missile systems quickly became accurate enough to be much more effective. That also is the reason for our yields going down. The large yield weapons were to make sure they had affect on target, even with a fairly bad miss. Now that we can land it within a meter of anything we aim at from thousands of miles away, we could reduce the yields.

And we most certainly do have tactical nuclear weapons. 

https://armscontrolcenter.org/u-s-nonstrategic-nuclear-weapons/

https://www.globaldefensecorp.com/2020/02/06/the-us-navy-deploys-new-tactical-nukes/

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Qatar has killed more people just building the stadiums than have been killed in this conflict so far.  Fuck FIFA

Aggies officers have killed more people... something, something.

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Never is a very long time.

Need gene splicing - which will have unforeseen consequences - or a radical mutation into another species which proceeds to wipe out Homo sapiens. Any other mentality is foolhardy. 

It’s why having a strong military, rule of law, and a robust enough law enforcement and justice system to back it up is so integral. And why support for other representative governments with rule of law is so vital. Civilization is way more fragile than people assume. We take so much for granted in our daily lives, because it’s all we’ve known. We live in the wealthiest society the planet has ever produced, and we just think it’s going to keep going this way with a few hiccups every now and then. 

We’ve already elected our first truly populist president. The precedent is there. Plenty of populist candidates on the other side of the aisle. More than I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. We don’t get our own rapidly deteriorating tribal conflict deescalated, we’re not going to have to worry about how far off never actually is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

We’re still human. I think this is my biggest problem with idealists. The ones who want to end racism, or bullying, or misogyny, or a variety of characteristics they’ve deemed unfit. It doesn’t work that way. We are tribal at our core. Tribalism at its heart requires an other. The existence of the tribe will always be under threat from other tribes. We’re never getting around this fundamental aspect of human nature. While our brains are absolutely magical mechanisms, and we do have the ability to reprogram ourselves in ways no other species capable of doing, to try to reprogram id level wiring - which is what tribalism is - requires such a level of wholesale repression as a society you’d have to become the monster you’re trying to eradicate. 

If you study the history of mankind, or even just the relatively recent history of homo sapient, the number of genocidal events is astonishing. There’s a movement to vilify White males specifically, but this cuts across all boundaries of the species. Plenty of evidence of genocide in North, Central, and South America. Asia. The Polynesian Islands, particularly originating from New Zealand. Africa. And of course Europe, where one of the first round of settlers practiced widespread cannibalism, the Romans were famous for ruthlessly executing whole towns that held uprisings, and then plenty of others way more famous. 

There is an element in many of us that seeks power. One of the most compelling ways to gain that power is at the head of a tribe, appealing to the specialness of the tribe, while decrying enemies as lesser. When such a leader gains enough power, an inevitable conclusion is to wipe out the other in some way. History is a rinse and repeat of that. We’re not ever getting away from it. 

Now, I don’t think there’s any chance Ukraine becomes a genocide, mind you. Putin sees Ukrainians as full on Russian stock. But this idea we’re ever getting away from mortal combat in deciding which tribes get to continue to exist and which ones get wiped from history is a special kind of innocence a society can never afford to indulge. 

But see... there is this human characteristic we think we have that allows us to recognize our shortcomings, truly acknowledge them, and then try to become better.  That is what makes us human.  

"Ah, fuck it. I can't help it, because I'm human," is not human.

I don't disagree with your premise, but most humans no longer want to kill all the humans that aren't exactly like them, except when incited by the assholes who do.

I'm sure I could incite a race riot. I don't want to. I want to live a good life and see my children live a good life.  I have no desire to take anything from you or anyone else. Most humans are like this. Very few want to kill everyone that isn't like them for the sake of power.

• Hook 'Em 9

Russia is way scarier on the defense than on the offense.  Striking into Moscow would be incredibly difficult, hence the Cold part of the Cold War.  There is hardly a scenario where US and Russia would meet in a conventional land war.  Any serious conflict would necessitate endgame weapons and that's pretty much a no win scenario.  Same for China, perhaps doubly so, which is why hypersonics are all the rage right now

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Stuck around St Petersburg

when I saw it was time for a change

Killed Vlad & his ministers 

Katerina screamed in vain

rode a tank held a general’s rank

when the blitzkrieg raged

and the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name 

Sing it, muthfuckaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Need gene splicing - which will have unforeseen consequences - or a radical mutation into another species which proceeds to wipe out Homo sapiens. Any other mentality is foolhardy. 

It’s why having a strong military, rule of law, and a robust enough law enforcement and justice system to back it up is so integral. And why support for other representative governments with rule of law is so vital. Civilization is way more fragile than people assume. We take so much for granted in our daily lives, because it’s all we’ve known. We live in the wealthiest society the planet has ever produced, and we just think it’s going to keep going this way with a few hiccups every now and then. 

We’ve already elected our first truly populist president. The precedent is there. Plenty of populist candidates on the other side of the aisle. More than I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. We don’t get our own rapidly deteriorating tribal conflict deescalated, we’re not going to have to worry about how far off never actually is. 

God bless you, and thank you. I don’t want to take this great thread CR at all, but yes, yes, yes….this is the entire point of us ledge-dwellers. We cannot take the rule of law and relatively functional democracies for granted. Putin is a giant warning siren for what well-armed authoritarians can and will do. We should heed the warning. Please.
  • Like 1

Just now, squeegeedegg said:

They might not have wanted to initially.  The more Ukraine resists then the more Russia will throw at them

I think that's accurate for most things, but not for aircraft. That's one thing that you can destroy with limited civilian casualties and it's essential to doing things like holding an airport near the capital so your troops don't flee the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Who in many ways is the spear point for a tribe just as dangerous as any of them. But if you completely discredit him because he goes off the deep end at times, it’s a shame. 

I was just making fun of the use of multiple paragraphs to say humans are tribal. He tends to meander around the obvious when discussing his observations about human nature.

1 minute ago, squeegeedegg said:

They might not have wanted to initially.  The more Ukraine resists then the more Russia will throw at them

Yup. Russia fired their cheap stuff hoping Ukraine would cave. They absolutely have the guided munitions needed to be more surgical.  Now Putin has some serious math to work out, because I don’t think his army is willing to sign up for an expensive, drawn out slog with body bags on TV every day. He needed shock and awe, hasty surrender, and the establishment of his puppets to take care of the real dirty work to come. I don’t think he anticipated a real fight, and I don’t think he wants to spend the time and energy to try to bring the Ukraine in line. Makes me worried about the next couple of days, because he may decide that leveling a city will break their spirit.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Haha.  Nah bro.  Link two definitely ain't a tactical nuke.  If it is put in an ICBM.  That's a START treaty nuke.  That's end your world shit.  I don't care how low yield that is.  If a foreign country sees an ICBM launched he's not going to call you and ask for it's yield.  

Tactical nukes were designed to be launched from conventional battle field weapons.  Artillery.  TLAM-N designation and such.  But trying to pass off a low yield ICBM as a tactical nuke is not wise.

47 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

russian ingenuity. there's no fucking way we lose a war to these assholes.

To the extent anyone actually thinks that vehicle is built partially of wood.  It's not.  Lumber like that is affixed to tanks and vehicles to deter magnetic mines and it may adversely affect shaped-charge anti-tank weapons, weak ones like an RPG.  And, it can come in handy.

Not wood. 1024px-Army2016demo-142.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

See what the transfer portal brings...

10 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

We really need to sit tight and wait for a Quinn Ewers level prospect.  Only so many treaties you can sign at once.

gonna need everybody to do their part

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

First day feels like Russia was just letting them know they were coming and giving civilians enough time to get out of the key areas.  No way they wouldn't take out airfields/airplanes sitting on tarmacs. That is either false info or doesn't matter since Ukraine just sits its plane in close configuration during foreign invasions to save on foreign bombs...

Putin also left the power grid operational. He could easily take it offline if he wanted to. Prayers for Ukraine citizens tonight, going to be long and sleepless.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Haha.  Nah bro.  Link two definitely ain't a tactical nuke.  If it is put in an ICBM.  That's a START treaty nuke.  That's end your world shit.  I don't care how low yield that is.  If a foreign country sees an ICBM launched he's not going to call you and ask for it's yield.  

Tactical nukes were designed to be launched from conventional battle field weapons.  Artillery.  TLAM-N designation and such.  But trying to pass off a low yield ICBM as a tactical nuke is not wise.

So what is the first link? I read we passed on tactical nukes but the first seems like it is?

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Well, it's a matter of definition, but those are intended to be low-yield battlefield weapons.  Many/most of Russia's tactical nukes are air-launched and surface-launched missiles.

Russia claimed to have dismantled its nuclear artillery capability at the same time we did.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

So what is the first link? I read we passed on tactical nukes but the first seems like it is?

Probably the "definitional" tactical nuke is artillery-delivered.  Supposedly, the rooskies ditched theirs at the same time we did.

That leaves rocket, missile, and aircraft-delivered weapons, which can only be termed "tactical" by their yield.  Or maybe the shittiness of the rocket compared to a "missile."

52 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hell just park a couple dozen hoopties out there.

Maybe they can host the relays on the runway?  The McDonald’s, Skittles and other donks…especially with those spikes protruding from the wheels…would tear shit up.  Those 70’s cars were solid.  Then you’d have a bunch of pissed off dudes with gold chains to deal with. 

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably the "definitional" tactical nuke is artillery-delivered.  Supposedly, the rooskies ditched theirs at the same time we did.

That leaves rocket, missile, and aircraft-delivered weapons, which can only be termed "tactical" by their yield.  Or maybe the shittiness of the rocket compared to a "missile."

TLAM-N is a seabased cruise missile that is nuclear tipped.  That's considered tactical.  We definitely have those.

There is an air craft launched cruise missile.  I think it's like the AGM-20 or something.  I may be missing a number.  But they definitely exist.  Kind of crazy incident with those things I would say 20 years ago maybe?  They were flying a mission from Barksdale to Minot on a B-52.  They ended up loading 6 nuclear tipped missiles and had no idea.  They checked the next day and thought they lost the missiles.  Come to find out it was sitting in a hanger still attached to a B-52.

But yeah.  Tactical nukes exist.  They are in the inventory but probably never to be used again because they are needed for any sort of mission profile anymore.  They save it in case something new comes up.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй