Holy Shit @ This 99 Yard TD Run from Derrick Henry

Vic Mackey

After having him last year in fantasy, I thought that he could have been something if only DeMarco Murray wasn't there. Then DeMarco retired, so I thought that he would be something special this year.

I drafted him before the season and probably started him at least once, maybe twice... but he has been pretty bad this year. Dion Lewis has been their "star RB" if you were pressed to name one, but...

He has come on lately and tonight he appears to be going off. He's probably on waiver still in my league. I don't know if he's "in a contract year" (translation: "on the juice to have a career year") or if something has clicked, but this is who people thought that he would be coming out of Bama.

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Hawk didn't need to run over anyone when they couldn't touch him!

He had Drew Pearson blocking downfield and did a slight slowdown and then speed up so that the defender would slow down and that helped Drew get a better position to block the guy. (Smart running by Tony.)

Also, the Cowboys only had 10 men on the field.

Credit to Henry, he also slowed down at least twice, because he knew that he was more likely to get tackled from the side or behind, so he made sure to get the defender someone in front of him so that he could shove the guy down. Most backs would just run until they got tackled from behind, but I'm thinking that he played some "Tackle The Man With The Ball" when he was younger and/or has been in some shoving matches before and knows the best way to use his size & strength against a would-be tackler.

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

After having him last year in fantasy, I thought that he could have been something if only DeMarco Murray wasn't there. Then DeMarco retired, so I thought that he would be something special this year.

I drafted him before the season and probably started him at least once, maybe twice... but he has been pretty bad this year. Dion Lewis has been their "star RB" if you were pressed to name one, but...

He has come on lately and tonight he appears to be going off. He's probably on waiver still in my league. I don't know if he's "in a contract year" (translation: "on the juice to have a career year") or if something has clicked, but this is who people thought that he would be coming out of Bama.

A few weeks ago, I looked it up and Henry had a higher YPC avg than Lewis. The Titans just decided they needed to give Lewis far more carries per game.

Edited by bamachine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He had Drew Pearson blocking downfield and did a slight slowdown and then speed up so that the defender would slow down and that helped Drew get a better position to block the guy. (Smart running by Tony.)

Also, the Cowboys only had 10 men on the field.

Credit to Henry, he also slowed down at least twice, because he knew that he was more likely to get tackled from the side or behind, so he made sure to get the defender someone in front of him so that he could shove the guy down. Most backs would just run until they got tackled from behind, but I'm thinking that he played some "Tackle The Man With The Ball" when he was younger and/or has been in some shoving matches before and knows the best way to use his size & strength against a would-be tackler.

Dorsett told me there were two reasons he was a great back, main reasons, the first, he had great vision, his nickname was Hawk. And second, he said that is two strides he could be at full speed.

One of my favorite players of all time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bamachine said:

A few weeks ago, I looked it up and Henry had a higher YPC avg than Lewis. The Titans just decided they needed to give Lewis far more carries per game.

Last year his YPC were far superior to DeMarco Murray's, but he usually didn't get more than 2 or 3 carries until the 4th quarter. By that time, the defenses were tired and he's a monster.

The disparity in YPC this season with Lewis probably also has something to do with when he gets his carries, but I think that he's been coming on in the last week or three and the entire team is playing better. His yards after contact vs Lewis' is probably a joke.

Just now, CooterBrown said:

Don’t be a fag. Just call it Smear the Queer.

I'd heard "Smear the Queer" sometime in college/post college, but didn't know what it was referring to until this calendar year. (2018)

We played "Tackle The Man With The Ball" growing up in our neighbor's yard or at school and I never knew that there was another name for it. (It's still the first/only name that pops into my head when I try to explain the game to a friend's 7 year-old son.)

SIDE NOTE: The only name I knew for a large "portable stereo" growing up was a "GHETTO BLASTER" until my older sister went to college in Massachusetts and mentioned "a jam box" when the was home over the holidays. I had to have her explain what she was talking about, because I only knew the one term. I think that I picked up "...a portable stereo..." from the SEARS & MONTGOMERY WARDS catalogs, but considered that more of a description than an actual name for the item.

I was standing in the same place tonight watching Henry’s run, at my parents home,  when Dorsett did his 99 back in 1983. Except Dorsett did it on 12” black and white tv.  Times have changed. /csb
If cowboys ever need a 99 yd to win a game late you better know where to get your ass to
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I'd heard "Smear the Queer" sometime in college/post college, but didn't know what it was referring to until this calendar year. (2018)

We played "Tackle The Man With The Ball" growing up in our neighbor's yard or at school and I never knew that there was another name for it. (It's still the first/only name that pops into my head when I try to explain the game to a friend's 7 year-old son.)

SIDE NOTE: The only name I knew for a large "portable stereo" growing up was a "GHETTO BLASTER" until my older sister went to college in Massachusetts and mentioned "a jam box" when the was home over the holidays. I had to have her explain what she was talking about, because I only knew the one term. I think that I picked up "...a portable stereo..." from the SEARS & MONTGOMERY WARDS catalogs, but considered that more of a description than an actual name for the item.

I almost don't believe this.

11 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

I was standing in the same place tonight watching Henry’s run, at my parents home,  when Dorsett did his 99 back in 1983. Except Dorsett did it on 12” black and white tv.  Times have changed. /csb

IOW, you’ve never moved out.