Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Ratings. It's all he measures everything by.

TV ratings. Polls. Attendance. It's all ratings. The narcissist's measure of love and worth.

I do hope enough shame piles up on him that he actually feels it one day. The amount would have to be colossal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

You know what drew huge crowds and would KILL in the TV ratings? 

Public executions of corrupt despotic rulers. 

#GuillotineOrGallows

Wasn't it HUABS who suggested drawing and quartering a few corrupt politicians with Clydesdales in front of an audience of millions during halftime of the Super Bowl?

I sort of snorted when I read it but I have to admit that it  probably would get the message across about as effectively as anything else would. 

"The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by the force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notions that his mind is a virtual vacuumThe Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

H.L. Mencken, 1920

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

"The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by the force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notions that his mind is a virtual vacuumThe Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

H.L. Mencken, 1920

Thanks for posting the more complete quote. I've observed over the years that the New England states often provide the best representatives and senators in Congress. I first noticed it during the Watergate hearings.

I've got to move Mencken to the top of the reading list. Any suggestions on where to start?

I have trepidation for 2020 that enough states/voters will fall for trumps fear mongering about whichever dem candidate is nominated. They will vote for trump but say they voted for Gary Johnson. 

Perhaps I’m wrong about conservative voters and they will vote for America’s future over trump but I don’t think so. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have trepidation for 2020 that enough states/voters will fall for trumps fear mongering about whichever dem candidate is nominated. They will vote for trump but say they voted for Gary Johnson. 

Perhaps I’m wrong about conservative voters and they will vote for America’s future over trump but I don’t think so. 

There's no way conservative voters will turn their backs on Trump, not now, not ever. There's nothing left for him to do that would make them sway. Plus they are going to have 15 months of nonstop assault on their senses courtesy of Facebook, Fox News and the President's twitter account to tell them the nation (and by extension, they and their families) will cease to exist on January 20, 2021 if Trump is not in office.

30 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

There's no way conservative voters will turn their backs on Trump, not now, not ever. There's nothing left for him to do that would make them sway. 

While this is true, I believe it’s possible for them to be drawn to something beyond Trump.  The problem is the democrats lack passion and imagination.  There are a lot of Trump supporters that just want something to believe in and feel good about, the specifics aren’t important.  Trump fills that void for them but he does a shitty job of it because he’s a racist con man and his heart isn’t in it.  

There is a lot of anger and hate just laying out there in the streets on both sides waiting for the right leader and movement to unite the country.  The problem is all the wealthy and powerful forces working to prevent that from happening. It will take something no one has ever seen in this country to overcome it.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

You don’t try to flip them.  You give them an opportunity to come to you. Just put out your messages and stay true to your values.  Trump people respect conviction and strength above everything else. Pandering to them is the worst thing a campaign can do. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m just worried about Russia changing votes 

• Like 1