Casey Thompson

Tex Long

1 minute ago, Chad said:

It doesn't make a shit who starts they both suck. Casey recklessly turns the ball over and Card holds onto the ball and refuses to push the ball down field. It's like being given the choice of slamming your dick in the door or dragging your dick through broken glass either which way it's a lose/lose situation.

Plus offensive line

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

The pick-six was a 10 pt swing play. We lost by 8.

That's before even considering the momentum shift it caused.

It was even bigger than that because a score there forces OSU to get more aggressive on their offense which means more passing with Sanders and that would have been an advantage for Texas.  That pick 6 was the play of the game but unfortunately not the good kind.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Wtf is this logic? He switched Card out after choosing him the first time, putting Card back in just shows wishy-washiness. It's not like he's gonna go out there and magically make the blocking better. He's also a worse athlete than Casey.

Well, the other thing is that the Card replacement occurred in conjunction with the realization that the OL is inadequate, to put it politely.

Probably by virtue of size and age, if nothing else, Casey is less liable to flip his wig when the line falls apart, which makes him somewhat more likely to make plays than Card, but not a lot because Card seems to have better tools.  And, by the time Casey was flailing, the new line combos had started falling apart, AND Bijan was shut down, so not exactly the recipe for Card success.

The only hope for Card making a difference was just that, hope, and not much else. That is, the ol' "change of pace."  I suppose you could theorize that Card could pick apart their secondary in the few seconds he had a clean pocket and complete some passes that Casey can't or an injured and rattled Casey can't.

Casey had a shit game.  Put in Card with one hand, shit in the other, see which comes up roses.

3 minutes ago, stork642 said:

It was even bigger than that because a score there forces OSU to get more aggressive on their offense which means more passing with Sanders and that would have been an advantage for Texas.  That pick 6 was the play of the game but unfortunately not the good kind.  

More or less agreed.  OSU defense was pinned back at that point, they looked tired and frankly concerned.  They were losing any confidence - UT was moving almost at will.

Then that play.

Taylor (OSU safety) knew it even before it was called.  It was obvious that they saw that tendency on tape.  Man when he saw that formation he said, "oh goody, this is it!" and never hesitated.  He'll be in the NFL without question, but he was obviously waiting for that play and knew it the second they came out in formation.  Someone coached him.

He also is a terrific tackler... a few plays before he met Bijan mano a mano at the LOS and drove him back 5 yards.  You won't see that often.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

He was pretty bad today.  Even things like throwing guys into tacklers on the WR screens and on a short out he threw it so far behind that the receiver had to retreat 2 yards to make the catch and then his momentum carried him OOB.  If the throw was on target he could have turned it up for at least 5 more yards.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hard to put Card in with this OL. Casey's big advantage is his pocket poise/awareness. If we had a decent OL, Card would be the choice. But we don't. So fuck.

The pick 6 completely changed the game today. We probably win if that's an incompletion and we get the FG there. Casey had a good throw to Marcus early but otherwise mostly easy stuff. Missed a few 3rd down throws that would've extended drives, one of which might've been a TD (the shallow post to Moore with good separation).

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, WBT said:

He was pretty bad today.  Even things like throwing guys into tacklers on the WR screens and on a short out he threw it so far behind that the receiver had to retreat 2 yards to make the catch and then his momentum carried him OOB.  If the throw was on target he could have turned it up for at least 5 more yards.

What I didn’t see were any check down passes.  He seems to lock into a receiver and force the ball vs. taking the easy 5.  He makes me miss Sam..

• Like 1

I may be reaching but I wonder if Casey was more hurt than we know and his ego and selfishness (maybe competitiveness) didn’t want Card in because he was so worried about relinquishing his starting role. So instead of being a team player, he played hurt, pressed and hurt the team. Not saying Card would have been any better but you have to put the team first when you know you are not even close to 100%. No, I’m not from IT and wanted Casey to start from the first game.

Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 2

I may be reaching but I wonder if Casey was more hurt than we know and his ego and selfishness (maybe competitiveness) didn’t want Card in because he was so worried about relinquishing his starting role. So instead of being a team player, he played hurt, pressed and hurt the team. Not saying Card would have been any better but you have to put the team first when you know you are not even close to 100%. No, I’m not from IT and wanted Casey to start from the first game.

Thoughts?
His thumb was definitely not right on Saturday. Hope the bye week helps in healing up..for several players.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Thoughts?

I'm not putting any of that on Casey. If the coaches are asking him to perform, knowing full well what the medical staff has said about the thumb, then he is an absolute warrior. If the throws and his ability to make plays are compromised to the point that he can't perform and help the team, than it is up to Sark to make the call and pull him out of the game, like he pulled Card against Arkansas.

18 hours ago, phdhorn said:

More or less agreed.  OSU defense was pinned back at that point, they looked tired and frankly concerned.  They were losing any confidence - UT was moving almost at will.

Then that play.

Taylor (OSU safety) knew it even before it was called.  It was obvious that they saw that tendency on tape.  Man when he saw that formation he said, "oh goody, this is it!" and never hesitated.  He'll be in the NFL without question, but he was obviously waiting for that play and knew it the second they came out in formation.  Someone coached him.

He also is a terrific tackler... a few plays before he met Bijan mano a mano at the LOS and drove him back 5 yards.  You won't see that often.

Yea, Taylor broke on that ball before Casey even threw it. As soon as he turned his head and looked at the receiver on that side, Taylor made his break. He caught it in stride going the other way, then outran everyone to the endzone. 

Casey seems like a high floor, low ceiling QB. He's mobile enough in the pocket to buy time with our shitty line, but doesn't have the speed to be a real threat in the run game and keep LBs honest. His deep ball has never been great, but the thumb has obviously made all his throws worse. If Card has the better tools, give him another shot. Spend the rest of this season figuring out what guys can contribute, then go Saban on the roster in the off-season. We aren't winning anything of importance this year, might as well make the best of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not putting any of that on Casey. If the coaches are asking him to perform, knowing full well what the medical staff has said about the thumb, then he is an absolute warrior. If the throws and his ability to make plays are compromised to the point that he can't perform and help the team, than it is up to Sark to make the call and pull him out of the game, like he pulled Card against Arkansas.

My point was that if the coaching staff questioned if he was ok to go but he selfishly said he’s fine enough though he wasn’t. Sark is a little too laid back and trusting of the players. Saban and Riley probably would have identified the issue and pulled him.

Oh well, water under the bridge unless the injury affects him throughout the season.

2 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

My point was that if the coaching staff questioned if he was ok to go but he selfishly said he’s fine enough though he wasn’t. Sark is a little too laid back and trusting of the players. Saban and Riley probably would have identified the issue and pulled him.

Oh well, water under the bridge unless the injury affects him throughout the season.

Well you don't know any of that for sure. I get where you are coming from, but we never saw a damaged Sam take himself out even if sometimes he couldn't throw or was concussed. So...I would just let it go honestly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Thoughts?

coaches should have recognized the injury and take that decision away from him.

You guys are overthinking it. Casey's mistakes were his own. Injuries don't cause you to look the wrong way when throwing a ball. The keys you read on throwing that slant route or not were there, he just ignored them and threw it anyway. What was affecting him was the line. He got sped up and was looking for places to get rid of the ball in a hurry instead of going through progressions. Classic mistake of a QB getting hit a lot. The other classic mistake is what we saw from Card, which is only seeing the rush. Both are bi-products of the o-line getting them hit every other play.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Casey seems like a high floor, low ceiling QB. He's mobile enough in the pocket to buy time with our shitty line, but doesn't have the speed to be a real threat in the run game and keep LBs honest. 

Last I checked, Casey runs a 4.55, so speed isn't his issue. Decisiveness was against OSU. Maybe he was more reluctant to run due to injury? Who knows?

On 10/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, Chad said:

It doesn't make a shit who starts they both suck. Casey recklessly turns the ball over and Card holds onto the ball and refuses to push the ball down field. It's like being given the choice of slamming your dick in the door or dragging your dick through broken glass either which way it's a lose/lose situation.

Is Thompson or Card the broken glass?  Because I feel like that's not the most difficult choice.

23 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, Taylor broke on that ball before Casey even threw it. As soon as he turned his head and looked at the receiver on that side, Taylor made his break. He caught it in stride going the other way, then outran everyone to the endzone. 

Casey seems like a high floor, low ceiling QB. He's mobile enough in the pocket to buy time with our shitty line, but doesn't have the speed to be a real threat in the run game and keep LBs honest. His deep ball has never been great, but the thumb has obviously made all his throws worse. If Card has the better tools, give him another shot. Spend the rest of this season figuring out what guys can contribute, then go Saban on the roster in the off-season. We aren't winning anything of importance this year, might as well make the best of it. 

I know they're completely different players and there's an obvious talent gap but ... Matt Corrall.  If anyone was able to watch Sat's game, Corrall saved his teams ass with similar issues along the line.  The second the play broke down - which was quite often - he either paralleled the line to buy some time or absolutely sprinted upfield.  This was something I saw Thompson do very well in the spring game 2 years ago.  It seems as if, even when we do try to move CT around or run him, it's so slow, it's ineffective.

14 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I know they're completely different players and there's an obvious talent gap but ... Matt Corrall.  If anyone was able to watch Sat's game, Corrall saved his teams ass with similar issues along the line.  The second the play broke down - which was quite often - he either paralleled the line to buy some time or absolutely sprinted upfield.  This was something I saw Thompson do very well in the spring game 2 years ago.  It seems as if, even when we do try to move CT around or run him, it's so slow, it's ineffective.

This is where I am. Texas has played 7 games this year. Qb performance was ugly in 3 games (Ark, TCU, and OSU). When the QBs are asked to be distributors, they have success. When they are asked to create offense, it has been ugly. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is where I am. Texas has played 7 games this year. Qb performance was ugly in 3 games (Ark, TCU, and OSU). When the QBs are asked to be distributors, they have success. When they are asked to create offense, it has been ugly. 

More like, the better the D-line the harder the sledding has been for them. Tells you what the problem is.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, Stunns38 said:

Thoughts?

So the guy who sat behind Sam for 3 years wouldn't give up his starting position for one game because ego, selfishness, and not being a team player?  Nope, that's not it.  He was definitely playing hurt, maybe more than he let on, but he played because he was giving it all he could to try to help the team.  Just like he gave up his body at the goal line against Arky.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

More like, the better the D-line the harder the sledding has been for them. Tells you what the problem is.

QBs were rattled in those 3 games. I am not saying the OL is not a problem, but at this point of their careers the QBs need favorable circumstances to perform at a high level. When things get off, you see some ugly throws and self-sacking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Casey is not our standard. He's not Vince or Gardere or Colt. We, our beloved university and football team, deserve better. Now who's down for begging for Arch or Quinn? 

damn!....no love for James Street? A case can be made that he was the greatest of them all.

• Like 1

Casey is not our standard. He's not Vince or Gardere or Colt. We, our beloved university and football team, deserve better. Now who's down for begging for Arch or Quinn? 

Not sure if sarcasm, but Casey Thompson threw for as many TD’s (5) against OU as Peter Gardere threw his entire junior season. If recollection serves, the Texas offense did not score a touchdown against OU in that victory during that season. Bubba Jacques fumble score FTW.

I'm of the belief that if Bijan comes open in the flat and there isn't a defender right next to him, then you give him the ball. There were too many situations where Bijan came open and he'd have maybe one guy 10 yards away accounting for him. 

I expected the RB to be a bigger part of the passing game, and it would be if Casey would just dump it off instead of forcing the ball into traffic to go 3 and out. The deep shots will come if you make them adjust.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Not sure if sarcasm, but Casey Thompson threw for as many TD’s (5) against OU as Peter Gardere threw his entire junior season. If recollection serves, the Texas offense did not score a touchdown against OU in that victory during that season. Bubba Jacques fumble score FTW.

It was a joke lol. I forgot to add Bobby Layne and and I was gonna add Chance Mock 

• Hook 'Em 1