Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

7 hours ago, threesheets said:

You went 1/12.  Long John's my ninja.

Chicken planks, fries, and hush puppies along with all that crunchy shit. Used to eat at the one on Lamar (now Taco Shack) and Burnet (now Panda Express) all the time. Hadn't eaten at any location for a few years and then tried the one on Cameron Rd. Pretty sure they fry everything in equal parts snot and spit.

• Like 1

Curds. Cheese balls. Fried cheese curds. The Midwest’s gift to y’all.

Just deep-fried chunks of cheese; cheddar usually I think. I love them covered in ranch. But I’ll say they aren’t true “curds,” and it’s a bit pretentious to refer to them as such.

Just deep-fried chunks of cheese; cheddar usually I think. I love them covered in ranch. But I’ll say they aren’t true “curds,” and it’s a bit pretentious to refer to them as such.

Many places near me actually get cheese curds from creameries, batter them and fry them. They’re actually curds. I think Culver’s does this too.

10 hours ago, threesheets said:

You went 1/12.  Long John's my ninja.

Usual contrarian self otherwise. No one gives a shit what your imaginary east coast gf thinks about Whataburger haha.

"She lives in Canada."

They met at band camp. 

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We need perspective here, name some of your favorite foods.

Steak cooked rare or medium rare (rare for filets, medium rare for strips and ribeyes). I used to be a filet guy, but relatively recently switched to strips as a great compromise between the tenderness of a a filet and the marbling of a ribeye. To be honest, the strips at HEB (when it's open) often have more marbling than the ribeyes do). Unlike some other people in this thread, I absolutely do judge people who cook it past medium.

Mac and Cheese has always been a favorite. Really most any pasta dish of which cheese is an integral part I'm more than ok with. Had some pici in Bologna this January that rivaled any pasta dish I've ever had.

Love me a good CFS with white gravy.

Burgers (generally prefer more thin patties to thicker patties because it lends itself to a better meat-to-cheese ratio), but a good thick patty cooked medium rare-medium definitely has its time and place).

Ethiopian is bomb. Thai, sushi, Vietnamese, ramen (the good kind), Tex-Mex (Dart Bowl enchiladas with grilled japs and a fried egg slams and goes hard, and I've never turned down queso).

Honestly, I don't think my food likes/dislikes are that extreme. It's the beverages that I often disagree with people. 

The common theme across all of those drinks is I don't enjoy bitter things, and I guess my palate isn't refined enough to appreciate the other flavors embedded within. No matter what anyone does with, say, coffee, the underlying flavor is still bitter to me. As my friend puts it, the better a whiskey is, the worse it tastes to me. I was flying to Frankfurt last year and the lounge had self-pour Johnny Walker Blue and it was just dreadful.

Other unpopular opinions I have:

-I think In-N-Out's burgers are better than Whataburger's if we're comparing apples to apples. Fries are always disappointing, though.

-Mustard sucks as a condiment.

-Chipotle is better than Freebirds.

-Crawfish boils are boring, and crawfish aren't worth the trouble.

-Chili doesn't interest me, with or without beans.

• Like 1

Steak cooked rare or medium rare (rare for filets, medium rare for strips and ribeyes). I used to be a filet guy, but relatively recently switched to strips as a great compromise between the tenderness of a a filet and the marbling of a ribeye. To be honest, the strips at HEB (when it's open) often have more marbling than the ribeyes do). Unlike some other people in this thread, I absolutely do judge people who cook it past medium.
Mac and Cheese has always been a favorite. Really most any pasta dish of which cheese is an integral part I'm more than ok with. Had some pici in Bologna this January that rivaled any pasta dish I've ever had.
Love me a good CFS with white gravy.
Burgers (generally prefer more thin patties to thicker patties because it lends itself to a better meat-to-cheese ratio), but a good thick patty cooked medium rare-medium definitely has its time and place).
Ethiopian is bomb. Thai, sushi, Vietnamese, ramen (the good kind), Tex-Mex (Dart Bowl enchiladas with grilled japs and a fried egg slams and goes hard, and I've never turned down queso).
Honestly, I don't think my food likes/dislikes are that extreme. It's the beverages that I often disagree with people. 
The common theme across all of those drinks is I don't enjoy bitter things, and I guess my palate isn't refined enough to appreciate the other flavors embedded within. No matter what anyone does with, say, coffee, the underlying flavor is still bitter to me. As my friend puts it, the better a whiskey is, the worse it tastes to me. I was flying to Frankfurt last year and the lounge had self-pour Johnny Walker Blue and it was just dreadful.
Other unpopular opinions I have:
-I think In-N-Out's burgers are better than Whataburger's if we're comparing apples to apples. Fries are always disappointing, though.
-Mustard sucks as a condiment.
-Chipotle is better than Freebirds.
-Crawfish boils are boring, and crawfish aren't worth the trouble.
-Chili doesn't interest me, with or without beans.

If you are a Texas graduate, please DM me your full name and year of graduation. I have some calls to make in the morning.
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Honestly, I don't think my food likes/dislikes are that extreme.

32 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

I was flying to Frankfurt last year and the lounge had self-pour Johnny Walker Blue and it was just dreadful.

tumblr_ls40uthgHh1qafcveo1_500.gif

5 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

In fairness, I am contrasting my food likes/dislikes to my beverage likes/dislikes. I get far more shit for my drinks than I do my food.

That's fair. I think judging people on what they do or don't drink is kind of lame anyway.

But give me "self pour" Johnnie Blue and I'll be blacked out before we reach cruising altitude.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

That's fair. I think judging people on what they do or don't drink is kind of lame anyway.

But give me "self pour" Johnnie Blue and I'll be blacked out before we reach cruising altitude.

Hahaha! There was a reason that bottle was the emptiest of them all, and I fully realize that!

2 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Actually, you fit the taste dislikes profile of a supertaster.  Supertasters can't drink coffee at all due to how bitter it is to them. In foods you're eating things cooked with oil/fats that coat the tastebuds allowing you to eat flavors you cannot stand as a drink. You most likely have 30 or more tastebuds per square inch on your tongue. 

Outside of the Mexican food your ethnic food likes come from regions with higher percentages of supertasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Actually, you fit the taste dislikes profile of a supertaster.  Supertasters can't drink coffee at all due to how bitter it is to them. In foods you're eating things cooked with oil/fats that coat the tastebuds allowing you to eat flavors you cannot stand as a drink. You most likely have 30 or more tastebuds per square inch on your tongue. 

Outside of the Mexican food your ethnic food likes come from regions with higher percentages of supertasters.

Holy cow, never knew that was an actual thing.  Just an inkling I had about a few family members that I eat with frequently.  One of my SIL has that exact profile almost.  Although her sisters and parents often refer to her as a vegetarian (to much annoyance to me) even though she eats chicken tenders and pepperoni pizzas on occasion. But wow, great article.  Pos rep

Anyone shitting on Fuddruckers is doing so to be contrarian. A cheap non-fast food burger that I can build how I want with wedge fries and 200 fountain drink choices is fucking greatness. Compare that Shake Shack and there really isn’t a comparison.  I had SS last Monday in NYC during a meeting break and was disappointed as usual. Would have loved a Fuddruckers next store instead. 

Scotch is crap, all of it. Gin isn’t much better. I stock both - the scotch for my British FIL who was a sailor and pounds Dewars as though it’s water; and the gin for the pumas that roll with my wife that don’t like rose or chardonnay for whatever reason. I love liquor and detest those two types. 

I drink coffee for the hit but have never thought a single cup tasted good. 

I don’t give one fuck about the steak at a steakhouse at this point. It all tastes the same from one spot to the next. I do judge any rube that selects above MR for temp. I go for the sides, apps, cocktails and vino, and the company usually, but gave up the ability to care about the steak many visits ago. 

Not food-related but discovered this past week that I think Napa is hopelessly overrated. I’d go again with the right people for one day of tastings and one overnight stay, but there is way better shit to do in northern CA than day drink at vineyards, and I love wine. People talk that shit up because other people talk that shit up. 

4 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Whoa, that's pretty wild. I've never heard of that, and there are other foods on that list in Wikipedia that I'm not a big fan of.

Thanks!

Think a few of these opinions are expressed by folks who have never had the good stuff.

If your seafood isn't soft as butter and melting on your tongue, you're not eating the good stuff.

If your tea comes in a little filter bag, You're not drinking the good stuff.

If your brisket took fewer than a dozen hours to smoke and failed to retain its juices, you're not eating the good stuff.

But the comment about IPAs... I've had the good stuff. I live in the IPA capital of the world. And it's all hipster bullshit. I miss beer with actual flavor beyond stab-yourself-in-the-nostril hops. And I think this is on its way out as an unpopular opinion and becoming a popular one.

So to throw in with an unpopular one: Habaneros are delicious, and the folks trying to breed Habaneros that aren't so spicy are doing God's work.

• Like 1

I’ll second the posts about crawfish. I’ll go to a boil to drink beer and hang out and all that stuff, but Ive realized I just don’t get very excited about the crawfish part anymore. Some of that may be because i only actually like it if it’s really spicy, and I don’t like sitting through all the boils, but the juice isn’t worth the squeeze to me other than maybe once a year or so. 

Also, I will not eat fish or shrimp tacos. They are pointless and the texture doesn’t do it for me. Pulpo is the only exception. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

The most Iowa thing I've heard all day.
I'm not a fan of Hidden Valley.  Too runny.  Make mine Buffalo Wild Wings's ranch please.

I think it’s got more egg/mayo than I prefer (I like it heavier on the butter milk/sour cream). Definitely runny.