Salt Water fish extinction predicted by 2048

elguapo

We are a disease on this planet.

The apocalypse has a new date: 2048.

That's when the world's oceans will be empty of fish, predicts an international team of ecologists and economists. The cause: the disappearance of species due to overfishing, pollution, habitat loss, and climate change.

The study by Boris Worm, PhD, of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, -- with colleagues in the U.K., U.S., Sweden, and Panama -- was an effort to understand what this loss of ocean species might mean to the world.

The researchers analyzed several different kinds of data. Even to these ecology-minded scientists, the results were an unpleasant surprise.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/salt-water-fish-extinction-seen-by-2048/

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

https://www.saltygirlseafood.com/blog/2017/stop-the-misinformation-the-oceans-will-not-run-out-of-fish-by-2048

The Forbes.com article in question cites (multiple times) the now infamous “The oceans may run out of fish by 2048” statement - a statement based on a study published in 2006 by Boris Worm and others, which despite its staying power in the media, has been largely rejected within the fishery science community, and, indeed, overturned by Worm et al. themselves in 2009.

• Like 6

I’ve thought for a long time that our oceans were in danger:  commercial fishing, Great Pacific Garbage Patch (thanks, Asia), loss of coral reefs, etc. But I’ve sometimes wished I had saved all the National Geographic doomsday predictions from past decades, if only to see how few have come true.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

But I’ve sometimes wished I had saved all the National Geographic doomsday predictions from past decades, if only to see how few have come true.

I'm assuming National Geographic may have saved some.  You can start there.  Or your library.

41 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I'm assuming National Geographic may have saved some.  You can start there.  Or your library.

I'd like to visit my local library and start a book club.

Or maybe visit a dairy farm and learn how milk is handled and prepared for delivery.

Or plan a series of window displays on home safety.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I still don't understand what's supposed to be wrong with Thanos' plan. It's a solution that would solve virtually every global problem, it's fair and totally up to chance, and it's quick & easy with no mess. 

Nothing is wrong with his plan. It's needed 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I still don't understand what's supposed to be wrong with Thanos' plan. It's a solution that would solve virtually every global problem, it's fair and totally up to chance, and it's quick & easy with no mess. 

How would killing half of all life help? He killed animals and plants, too. You know, the resources that are running short. Those got cut in half, too.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

It solves no problems (as Huck pointed out), creates a ton of new emotional and psychological ones to boot, and if your solution to a scarcity of resources is to use your near-infinite power to wipe out half of all life instead of just creating more resources, then you’re a sociopath.

Otherwise, it’s foolproof.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

for one reason or another, whether it was the new ice age or nuclear holocaust or AIDS or global warming or antibiotic resistant superbug or electing a Republican, the world has been about to end the entire time I've been alive

probably best to do your taxes and prepare your homework, just in case it doesn't end before Monday

• Like 4

While the study from the OP has been debunked, the current state of our oceans is very alarming. Here are some recent articles:

Ocean species are disappearing faster than those on land

AS THE WORLD'S average temperatures creep higher, marine animals are far more vulnerable to extinctions than their earthbound counterparts, according to a new analysis of more than 400 cold-blooded species.

With fewer ways to seek refuge from warming, ocean-dwelling species are disappearing from their habitats at twice the rate of those on land, notes the research published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

Shark numbers decline by up to 90% in five decades off Queensland coast

Shark numbers along the Queensland coast have declined by more than 90% for some species in the past five decades, according to new research that calls for better protections for sharks in Australian waters.

University of Queensland and Griffith University researchers analysed shark control program data to measure changes in shark populations along the Queensland coastline in a 55 year period.

The shark control program has used drumlines and nets since 1962 to try to reduce the risk of shark attacks, and now spans 1760km of the Queensland coastline.

The scientists studied the number of hammerhead, white, tiger and whaler sharks caught in nets from 1962 to 2016.

The data showed the number of hammerheads and white sharks had each declined by 92%, whaler sharks by 82% and tiger sharks by 74%.

Scope of Great Barrier Reef's massive coral bleaching alarms scientists

Australia's Great Barrier Reef is heralded for its biodiversity: The colorful clusters of coral and wisps of islands stretch 1,400 miles, home to white and orange clown fish, the blacktip shark, humpback whales and hundreds of other species.

But those clear blue-green waters are also changing faster than previously thought, according to a new study in the journal Nature, worrying scientists who say the survival of the Great Barrier Reefand other ecosystems like it is crucial for the planet.

"There's huge trouble in paradise," said Craig Downs, a biologist who studies dying coral in Hawaii.

At the Great Barrier Reef — considered one of the Earth's largest living structures — about half of the coral died in 2016 and 2017 because of record extreme heat, a result of climate change driven by greenhouse gas emissions, the researchers found.