Herman Edwards, lolololololololololololololololololololol

Parliament

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2018/03/28/what-does-asu-football-look-like-under-new-coach-herm-edwards/466070002/

Herm Edwards took the Arizona State football job four months ago, but the former NFL coach has been on the field for just two weeks of spring practice.

At the time of his hire, Edwards was billed as CEO of the program, someone who would mentor both players and assistant coaches. How that would translate onto the field wasn’t exactly clear, but through seven spring sessions, Edwards has provided a glimpse.

As one long-time observer pointed out: ASU practices this month have looked like a combination of the Dennis Erickson and Todd Graham eras. That is, a pro structure with a loose atmosphere. Practices are shorter, quieter and perhaps more efficient.

There’s also a crowd.

Unlike many coaches – including Arizona’s Kevin Sumlin – Edwards decided to open all 15 spring sessions to both media and public. Edwards twice has been questioned about this, and the second time he showed mild frustration, summing up his thoughts with: “What is there to hide?”

Until he took the ASU job – a move questioned both locally and nationally – Edwards had spent the last nine years at ESPN, a network he usually refers to simply as “The Worldwide Leader.” Much was made about his time away, but the concern might have been misplaced. 

At home on the field
While it’s clear Edwards still is learning personnel –  at practice he refers to most players by jersey number (“21 stay outside! Stay outside!”) –  Edwards, 63, looks at home on the field, almost as if he’s never missed a day, even though that’s hardly the case.

In fact, when asked this week what he has learned about himself since arriving in Tempe, Edwards said he’s realized just how much he’s missed all this. Just being on the grass. Teaching. This is his world, he said. One he could discuss during his time as an NFL television analyst, but not experience.

The initial press release is gold.

Arizona State University and Vice President of University Athletics

Ray Anderson has unveiled plans for a restructured ASU football model and named former NFL head coach Herman Edwards as the 24th head coach of Sun Devil Football, pending approval by the Arizona Board of Regents.

The department's New Leadership Model will be similar to an NFL approach using a general manager structure. It's a collaborative approach to managing the ASU football program that includes sport and administrative divisions, which will operate as distinct, but collective units focused on elevating all aspects of Sun Devil Football. This structure will allow the department to form a multi-layered method to the talent evaluation and recruiting processes, increase its emphasis on both student-athlete and coach development and retention, and provide a boost in resource allocation and generation.

"Our goal for this football program is to reach unprecedented heights, and therefore we need to find a way to operate more innovatively and efficiently than we have in the past," Anderson said. "In the spirit of innovation, our vision for this program is to have a head coach who serves as a CEO and is the central leader with a collaborative staff around him that will elevate the performance of players and coaches on the field, in the classroom and in our community. Equally important, the head coach will be a dynamic and tireless recruiter."

Edwards, who will oversee the New Leadership Model, arrives in Tempe with a football legacy that has impacted thousands, whether as a player, coach, analyst, motivational speaker and author, or community advocate and philanthropist.

The New Leadership Model will allow for resource sharing and strategic planning between the football staff and administrators who are directly involved with the program. The administrative division will be primarily composed of Anderson, Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director Jean Boyd and Senior Associate Athletics Director Scottie Graham. The sport division will operate with an experienced and senior football administrator, Senior Associate Athletic Director Tim Cassidy, helping to manage day-to-day operations, along with a variety of staffers responsible for player development, player personnel, and recruiting, among other areas.

Sun Devil Football's existing recruiting infrastructure will be upgraded through additional staff support and evaluation resources, by instilling a culture of accountability at all levels, and building long-term relationships in communities across the country to help ensure recruiting quality and consistency. Both the sport and administrative divisions will play key roles in student-athlete development.

The New Leadership Model affords coordinators and assistant coaches more flexibility in how they develop student-athletes on the field, and enables Sun Devil Football to build on the 'Championship Life' program already in place through the Office of Student-Athlete Development to better equip student-athletes with the tools and skills necessary to succeed in their respective future endeavors.

Boyd is a former ASU football student-athlete who has risen to the role of Executive Senior Associate Athletic Director after 22-plus years of experience in Sun Devil Athletics. He has overseen the dramatic evolution of the department's Student-Athlete Development efforts and has been nationally recognized.

Graham, who joined Sun Devil Athletics in June 2014, has served as a sport administrator with additional responsibilities surrounding student-athlete development and welfare for the past three-plus years. He will transition to a new role where he will serve as the liaison between the sport and administrative divisions. He has an extensive background with the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) as he was the Director of Player Engagement for four years before arriving in Tempe, playing a key role in cultivating, maintaining and enhancing relationships with current and former players, business partners and other stakeholders.

Edwards will take a proactive approach to developing coordinators and assistant coaches, drawing on his nearly three decades of NFL experience in a variety of capacities and wide range of leadership positions within both the sport of football and in other endeavors.

Edited by Machinator

I think it’s going to work out better than I originally thought.   He had an upper PAC class with a short timeline.  California recruitment is up by 100x with a pipeline into LB Poly established.  Practice reports have been positive from long time observers.  

Yeah, we all think this will crash and burn but he and his staff will probably develop some solid players. Now, converting that into wins may be another story if he doesn’t have quality assistants with recent college experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never understood why people thought Herm would not do well... especially while crowing about how great other coaches with no skins will be.... especially while complaining that our own program needed a ceo, but didn't have one.

surly.

Remember, this is the guy who didn't know ASU's mascot was the Sun Devil--even after he'd taken the job:

Edwards: “Devils Digest? I’m Catholic now, I’m Christian, watch out for them Devils. I’m just saying. We’re good brother, we’re good. I ain’t takin it personal.”

636482417573662746-herm-edwards-asu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

What's crazy is he is probably going to win the South Division at least once before he is done there.

Now that would be a mild improvement for the program, at least that's what I am hoping, as I will head over to see a game or two this fall in Tempe...

Depending on how this works out, in the end, the Sun Devils might wind up with better athletes for the next coach that comes in to replace Edwards at the end of his contract...

This is one of the more interesting story lines to me.  There are so many reasons that Herm and ASU are likely to fall flat on their faces... yet part of me wants them to luck their way into winning only to see the shit storm it would cause in the PAC.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:34 AM, bschoolprof said:

I wonder how this will turn out.  

It's Arizona State. A disaster would hardly be exceptional there, so why not gamble? It's literally all house money.  The odds are overwhelming he'll fail there, but hell, the odds are overwhelming that anybody would fail there. The exceptions are few (and memorable), and nobody with sense would have bet on them, either.

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

This is one of the more interesting story lines to me.  There are so many reasons that Herm and ASU are likely to fall flat on their faces... yet part of me wants them to luck their way into winning only to see the shit storm it would cause in the PAC.

Yes, I'm also pulling for him to Herp Derp through the Pac for the exact same reasons.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Because Herm isn’t a CEO.  That’s just the best rationalization ASU can come up with to explain why its head football coach is going to continue to be a media personality instead of learning the names of his players or studying how college football might be different from the 1998 NFL.

MASUGA?

It’s ASU and Football I mean what are the expectations?   He doesn’t have to do much to hang around and his status built by ESPN and good crazy charm will bring in some recruits to keep that at the mid chance to go high level they have always been..

14 hours ago, D_Goose said:

Recent history has shown that coaches who don't know their players' names tend to perform better at AAC schools than at power fives.

Funny how when that first came out, we all thought Charlie was messing with the lawyers.  Now we all know he never knew his name was Tyrone.