Eight Smartypants' Broke the Scripps Spelling Bee

'stache

Eight winners. And don't even start with the "everyone gets a trophy" crap. They went over 10 hours and literally ran out of words as it approached midnight. The last round went 3+ hours. This group spelled 47 straight correctly in the final rounds, and the stuff the kids were spelling at the end were ridiculous. I truly think that none of them could get tripped up by any word outside of a medical dictionary (and they would probably get that stuff right too).

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26860053/spelling-bee-ends-unprecedented-8-way-tie

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/31/us/national-spelling-bee-champions.html

• Like 1

Texas represent!  

The eight co-champions of the 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee, from left, Sohum Sukhatankar, 13, of Dallas, Texas; Abhijay Kodali, 12, of Flower Mound, Texas; Rohan Raja, 13, of Irving, Texas; Saketh Sundar, 13, of Clarksville, Maryland; Christopher Serrao, 13, of Whitehouse Station, New Jersey; Rishik Gandhasri, 13, of San Jose, California; Erin Howard, 14, of Huntsville, Alabama; and Shruthika Padhy, 13, of Cherry Hill, New Jersey.

Texas claims 37.5% of the winners.  Awesome!

"This would never happen at my bee,'' said Rahul Walia, founder of the South Asian Spelling Bee, where Sohum defeated Abhijay for the title last year. "They need to use harder words. The words are available.''

LOL. Nobody cares, Rahul.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"This would never happen at my bee,'' said Rahul Walia, founder of the South Asian Spelling Bee, where Sohum defeated Abhijay for the title last year. "They need to use harder words. The words are available.''

LOL. Nobody cares, Rahul.

Doesn't India still have a barbaric caste system and widespread lack of potable water and basic health care services?  But hey, congrats on that badass spelling bee.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, po elvis said:

They need to stop allowing them to ask for the origin of the word. That should not be information you have  when spelling a word. It helps a lot, but is not information you would have if needing to spell the word in real life.

True, in a real life spelling contest there’s no fucking questions.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Not a lot of Haydens or Prestons at the spelling bee this year.

Asian privilege

Good for them. As a whole the educational system seems to downplay achievement and exceptionalism and wastes its efforts hammering square pegs into round holes and celebrating mediocrity and underachievement. 

29 minutes ago, po elvis said:

They need to stop allowing them to ask for the origin of the word. That should not be information you have  when spelling a word. It helps a lot, but is not information you would have if needing to spell the word in real life.

In real life wouldn't they just use google? This particular skill seems meaningless to me unless one is going to pursue linguistics or etymology as an academic profession. We all know they will be forced to become doctors. no rasis

Edited by 'stache

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

names of some of those who mastered spelling of the english language....

Billy-Bob Jethro Spuckler.

Rishik Gandhasri

Saketh Sundar

Shruthika Padhy

Sohum Sukhatankar

Abhijay Kodali

Rohan Raja

DmASwQHV4AU48i8.jpg

Edited by phdhorn

Maybe because I’m a dad now, but those last few rounds were heartwarming. Those kids were spelling for hours and had perfect round after perfect round. They all pulled for each other and all get scholarship $. At the end they each showed pure joy. Maybe it’s dumb to have spelling bees on tv, but I thought that was neat

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the other night, i was going to pull a pendeloque manuever on your mom, but her auslot got in the way, so i had to change my plan to choking her with my special aiguillette. then she stuck my junk in her palama, and i'm not really a foot guy, so that had a cernuous result.  after a couple of days, my junk became odylic, and it turns out your mom has erysipelas and now i have it too.

nevertheless, tell your mom hi for me.

It’s spelled ocelot, idoit. 

Apparently, they give the contestants a book with possible words. They couldn't pull new words, because they weren't in the book. What kind of bullshit contest is that?

Edited by Deej

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Time for a death cage match.  Eight go in, one comes out....  THAT, spells VICTORY  (and a ratings bo-nanza) !!!!

Actually, they should do something like a free throw shooting contest or who can throw a baseball the farthest.

11 hours ago, 'stache said:

Eight winners. And don't even start with the "everyone gets a trophy" crap. They went over 10 hours and literally ran out of words as it approached midnight. The last round went 3+ hours. This group spelled 47 straight correctly in the final rounds, and the stuff the kids were spelling at the end were ridiculous. I truly think that none of them could get tripped up by any word outside of a medical dictionary (and they would probably get that stuff right too).

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26860053/spelling-bee-ends-unprecedented-8-way-tie

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/31/us/national-spelling-bee-champions.html

Can they fix the auto-correct thingy for Apple?

Sounds like a great internship for these folks.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Apparently, they give the contestants a book with possible words. They couldn't pull new words, because they weren't in the book. What kind of bullshit contest is that?

If that's the case, isn't that just a memorization contest?