The Supremes

tx 3 putt

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm glad they are at least being shown to be actual traitors and not just hearsay now.

I feel like someone has done a lot of research on Alito and is slowly dripping information out to make his lame excuses look even worse. He tried to wave off the "Stop the Steal" thing as some kind of anomalous indiscretion under the the heat of a feud with a neighbor, and to say it was his wife's idea (Pathetic and Impossible to Respect). The fact they released this the right amount of time after he committed to the position that the "Stop the Steal" thing was a brief anomaly was brilliant and I hope it's a sign of more to come.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

As someone who is fascinated by flags, I'm totally here for these scandals of a vexilological nature.

r/vexillology is one of my favorite subreddits.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Motherfucker!

I had been wearing a pine tree flag hat for a couple years before Jan6. Except I meant it as An Appeal to Heaven should that bitchass fake billionaire orange chud really push for authoritarianism. I had no idea it had been co-opted by MAGAts. Those cosplaying twits don't even know what it means. When Jan6 was going down I had some friends text me that I guess you can't wear your hat anymore. I said why should I change, they're the ones that suck. Alas, I lost the hat at some point. /csb

Some actual background:

https://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2017/04/16/john-lockes-appeal-to-heaven-its-continuing-relevance/

One of lesser known grievances of colonist land owners is that the British would mark the best trees anywhere to be reserved as masts, as England had already cleared their forests of suitable ones. Hence the "pine tree".

Really grinds my gears.

Edited by Walser
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

As someone who is fascinated by flags, I'm totally here for these scandals of a vexilological nature.

These assholes are ruining all the cool Revolution era flags.
Motherfucker!
I had been wearing a pine tree flag hat for a couple years before Jan6. Except I meant it as An Appeal to Heaven should that bitchass fake billionaire orange chud really push for authoritarianism. I had no idea it had been co-opted by MAGAts. Those cosplaying twits don't even know what it means. When Jan6 was going down I had some friends text me that I guess you can't wear your hat anymore. I said why should I change, they're the ones that suck. Alas, I lost the hat at some point. /csb
Some actual background:
https://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2017/04/16/john-lockes-appeal-to-heaven-its-continuing-relevance/
One of lesser known grievances of colonist land owners is that the British would mark the best trees anywhere to be reserved as masts, as England had already cleared their forests of suitable ones. Hence the "pine tree".
Really grinds my gears.

See my previous post re same.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is why liberals and pro-Democracy patriots need to really lean into the American flag and why progressives are so dumb to reject it, indeed part of the overall pattern of progressive maxis being hugely and disastrously stupid and counterproductive throughout time.
Symbols have power. Capturing the symbols is strategic. 

Would be a nice contrast between Democrats using the actual American flag as a flag only, while the fascists constantly desecrate the flag with their tacky clothes, thin blue line/grey motifs and Trump on top of a tank. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is why liberals and pro-Democracy patriots need to really lean into the American flag and why progressives are so dumb to reject it, indeed part of the overall pattern of progressive maxis being hugely and disastrously stupid and counterproductive throughout time.
Symbols have power. Capturing the symbols is strategic. 

Maybe they should just lean into the rules based international order. About as ficticous and imaginary as flag pron. 

But jingos love all that shit. 

30 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe they should just lean into the rules based international order. About as ficticous and imaginary as flag pron. 

Fictitious. Just like your both sideism. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

It’s funny how the burn it all down guys are so mad that institutions are failing.

You keep trying to hammer this point home, but the international order is kaput, my man. It was destroyed by arsonists, who burned it all down to prove it was flammable. This is your world now. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s funny how the burn it all down guys are so mad that institutions are failing.

You keep trying to hammer this point home, but the international order is kaput, my man. It was destroyed by arsonists, who burned it all down to prove it was flammable. This is your world now. 

I guess you are all out of lectures on decency and the bureaucratic state. That’s too bad. There never was a rules based order, at least not in our life times. Just geopolitical hegemony hid behind rhetoric and jingoism and some flag hugging. If anything got burnt down it was just your willful self delusion.

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I guess you are all out of lectures on decency and the bureaucratic state. That’s too bad. There never was a rules based order, at least not in our life times. Just geopolitical hegemony hid behind rhetoric and jingoism and some flag hugging. If anything got burnt down it was just your willful self delusion.

Amazing how his "willful self delusion" is taking down bridges and infrastructure. 

Remind me not to piss Bozo_C off!

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

image.png.a768028285b2fcd92743cf853cbcb05a.png

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

r/vexillology is one of my favorite subreddits.

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

And I learned a new word today.

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

@Ghost of LL

On a lighter vexillological note, a reader asks what the lower left flag is (I don't know why it's marked as mature or adult content. It's the same photo as a above.)

Answer: It's the newish flag for Long Beach Island, NJ.

https://www.lbiflag.com/lbi-flag

IMG_1219.gif.e15718a268c3f5d3e6a3d0eb20bc02d1.gifDammit. Beat me to it. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I guess you are all out of lectures on decency and the bureaucratic state. That’s too bad. There never was a rules based order, at least not in our life times. Just geopolitical hegemony hid behind rhetoric and jingoism and some flag hugging. If anything got burnt down it was just your willful self delusion

Sorry for the most peaceful and prosperous 60 years of world history, I guess.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

These assholes are ruining all the cool Revolution era flags.
See my previous post re same.

I mean, say what you will about the Nazis, but they didn't appropriate the tricolor of the Weimar Republic or steal the flag of the German Empire.  Fuck no--they went out and created their own flag with its own design.  Which, admittedly, they lifted the Hindus.  But still . . . .

I wish our Nazis would make up their own fucking symbol and leave the good Revolutionary flags for those of us who actually support the country the Revolution founded.

31 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

IMG_1219.gif.e15718a268c3f5d3e6a3d0eb20bc02d1.gifDammit. Beat me to it. 

I obviously feel seen.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Funny is not the word I would use.
  • Hook 'Em 1

During the deepest depths of 2020 I was being recruited for a very big job with a very big company that would have been a giant pain in the ass but also a huge increase in income. 
Around that same time I was deep diving on the time between the world wars and rereading contemporaneous histories of the period, ie Churchill, Shirer etc.
The recruiting process was secret, so things went out of order. I had a very promising discussion on zoom with the external recruiter, then an NDA, followed by a nearly two hour love fest with the hiring C-suite officer, followed the next day with a discussion of process and management styles with a global HR exec. All on Zoom. 
During the HR discussion there was a strange moment where her face and tone changed sharply and went very much from a conversation between future colleagues to an awkward and uncomfortable encounter- from that moment she could not end the call soon enough.
Even more odd given the need for secrecy- the process ended immediately with them going dark, which is not usually the case with executive hiring discussions. I found out they made a hire when the press release dropped. I wasn’t offended, I was almost certainly the least senior person they were talking to, and honestly they made a great hire. 
That said, I moved this book off my middle shelf to avoid any possible future confusion.
image.thumb.png.c18043e479b53771b975c471e0bcb651.png

But…for future reference…you also decided to wait until AFTER Zoom calls end before you jerk off, right?
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Along with moving out to the "country," flag obsession seems to be another old white guy thing that I don't have or don't understand.

That being said, if someone on my street did the flag fuckery that Alito does, that would be embarrassing here.  He's a SC justice, for god's sake.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

When I got the Shirer book for Christmas last year my wife freaked out when I put it on the bookshelf.  They may want to consider changing that cover.  The swastika stands out even more on my copy because it's red and black.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Walser said:

Motherfucker!

Some actual background:

Really grinds my gears.

Ki3_QP.gif

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

image.png

32 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

During the deepest depths of 2020 I was being recruited for a very big job with a very big company that would have been a giant pain in the ass but also a huge increase in income. 
Around that same time I was deep diving on the time between the world wars and rereading contemporaneous histories of the period, ie Churchill, Shirer etc.

The recruiting process was secret, so things went out of order. I had a very promising discussion on zoom with the external recruiter, then an NDA, followed by a nearly two hour love fest with the hiring C-suite officer, followed the next day with a discussion of process and management styles with a global HR exec. All on Zoom. 
During the HR discussion there was a strange moment where her face and tone changed sharply and went very much from a conversation between future colleagues to an awkward and uncomfortable encounter- from that moment she could not end the call soon enough.

Even more odd given the need for secrecy- the process ended immediately with them going dark, which is not usually the case with executive hiring discussions. I found out they made a hire when the press release dropped. I wasn’t offended, I was almost certainly the least senior person they were talking to, and honestly they made a great hire. 

That said, I moved this book off my middle shelf to avoid any possible future confusion.

So it wasn't Trammell Crow you were interviewing with.

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Don't be silly.  Who Zooms with anything below the chest?

image.png.e8a0aa655cbf655fadcb49b3479964b9.png

... says hi

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

33 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I have that book on my office bookshelf.  But I have removed the dust jacket for precisely that reason.

It is a great book, though, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  I may have to go re-read it at some point.

Nah--fuck that.  I'm afraid I'm going to live it soon enough.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sorry for the most peaceful and prosperous 60 years of world history, I guess.  

A whole lot of this.

Can we find a metric shitton to criticize the US, the West, etc. about over the past century?  Fuck yes.  But to do so to the exclusion of the undeniable metrics of how life on this earth improved, in large part and often directly in connection with mechanisms and measures emanating from and delivered by the US and the West, is foolishness.

I'm a good guy, I've done an incredible amount of positive things that have improved my community, have made my family and many others more prosperous, safe, and secure.  BUT...if we want to focus on "how that dick Brisket is a hypocrite, and how he does something dickish to someone at least once every fucking day," we can certainly do that, and it would be accurate.  I do many dickish things.  I have lied.  I have betrayed trust. I have acted selfishly.  I have been mean.  If you describe me and define me solely by my negative traits, then I am unquestionably an awful human being, who the world would be better off without.  If, however, you consider me as a complete human being, who has faults and has often acted badly, but who also has some great strengths and has done much good, on balance I think I'm a pretty solid net positive for the world and for my community.

The rules based international order is flawed.  As any human-driven idea and institution will be.  That approach has also led to the most peaceful and prosperous period modern humanity has ever known.  That doesn't mean we overlook the bad, and don't try to remedy any harm done, and aspire to be better....but it sure as shit also means that we don't overlook or minimize the good.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have that book on my office bookshelf.  But I have removed the dust jacket for precisely that reason.

It is a great book, though, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  I may have to go re-read it at some point.

Nah--fuck that.  I'm afraid I'm going to live it soon enough.

The audiobook is fantastic (and horrifying). Took me about a month to get through it all, but well worth the effort

the far right has adopted so many symbols that I think twice about someone when I see those symbols. Some of the symbols are obviously bad like the Confederate flag but others are seemingly harmless until you see the people who adopt it. For that one, I'm thinking about the "We the People" arm tattoos in the Declaration of Independence font. When I see that tattoo, it's very likely it's a GQP follower. For less committed fanatics, the We the People may just be a t-shirt.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the far right has adopted so many symbols that I think twice about someone when I see those symbols. Some of the symbols are obviously bad like the Confederate flag but others are seemingly harmless until you see the people who adopt it. For that one, I'm thinking about the "We the People" arm tattoos in the Declaration of Independence font. When I see that tattoo, it's very likely it's a GQP follower. For less committed fanatics, the We the People may just be a t-shirt.

I've had this issue as well. These twats put up this flag on the end of my street awhile back, I've posted about it here. It wasn't an appeal to heaven, but I had to look it up, etc, and sure enough, nutter. I can't even remember what it was now, but yeah, shit is hard to track. If I see anything Jingoistic at this point I assume GQP. 

I had a seminar course about modern thought. Had 10 or 12 books assigned that semester. We read women's lib, anti colonialism, and, for insight as to how propaganda works, Hitler. There was a stack of his awful tomes in the Co-op. I stopped selling my books back after I didn't have enough to get lunch, and I don't believe in throwing books out, so I still have the fucking thing, buried in a cabinet behind a row of other books at the bottom of the shelf.

Congrats, you got me to laugh out loud in a public restroom.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

I had a seminar course about modern thought. Had 10 or 12 books assigned that semester. We read women's lib, anti colonialism, and, for insight as to how propaganda works, Hitler. There was a stack of his awful tomes in the Co-op. I stopped selling my books back after I didn't have enough to get lunch, and I don't believe in throwing books out, so I still have the fucking thing, buried in a cabinet behind a row of other books at the bottom of the shelf.

It's been in the back of my mind to college a bunch of older HS and College history books of the United States and bury them somewhere so I can show my kid how people change recorded history all the time in 10 or so years. Unfortuantely half priced books closed most of their Houston location, and I just haven't gotten around to figuring out what books, how to find/buy them etc. Might be something this board would be good at putting together. Just the difference in recent changes for what I was raised learning about the Civil War, Climate Change, Evolution, and now vaccines would be...stark. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

The audiobook is fantastic (and horrifying). Took me about a month to get through it all, but well worth the effort

The cool thing is that you can just read a collection of newspapers from the last few years to get the same story 2, electric boogaloo.
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've had this issue as well. These twats put up this flag on the end of my street awhile back, I've posted about it here. It wasn't an appeal to heaven, but I had to look it up, etc, and sure enough, nutter. I can't even remember what it was now, but yeah, shit is hard to track. If I see anything Jingoistic at this point I assume GQP. 

I feel that way about the "Come and Take It" flag.  At this point, it seems most of those who display the cannon & phrase are 2A nutjobs.  It's too bad, because it references an interesting part of Texas history, and the phrase itself goes back to the Revolutionary War.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I feel that way about the "Come and Take It" flag.  At this point, it seems most of those who display the cannon & phrase are 2A nutjobs.  It's too bad, because it references an interesting part of Texas history, and the phrase itself goes back to the Revolutionary War.

Yes. I worry that they eventually pull the American flag into the litmus test if you're a 2A/GQP nutjob or not.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

yup...

I love the guys with a spartan helmet on their ride...  cool cool. 

A monarchic, slave holding, elitist group of serial pedophiles who inbreed themselves into the dust of history.  

Irony is dead

• Hook 'Em 2