The Supremes

tx 3 putt

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is there any supreme that hasn’t been bought by a billionaire?

Seemingly, it appears the billionaire class figured out there's no need to shovel cash to legislators to write legislation that might get overturned in court when you can just work with the Supremes, and you only need to work with a few of them to get your desired goals.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

My grandmother was half Choctaw. She and her brother were orphaned and spent some of their childhood w Choctaw relatives on a reservation.  My grandmother hated indians her whole adult life because of the abuse she took from the neighbor adults and children and even her own relatives for being half white.  She married my grandfather, a white son of a sharecropper who finished 4th grade before his dad made him quit to work on the farm and rent out to pick cotton for others full time, when she was 18 and they got the fuck out. 

During residency I took care of a lot of Indians from the various reservations and one of my intern mates was a Cherokee who grew up on a reservation. He knew one other guy his age who wasn’t a full blown alcoholic, meth addict, or wetbrained from huffing paint. And several were dead or in nursing homes by mid 20’s 

I’m glad my ancestors made it out of that situation and if there’s a chance to save a kid from growing up in it I’m on the side of getting them the fuck out 

While I'm sure that this would be getting into crt... I'm pretty certain that we could trace these results back to certain aspects of historical abuses, like certain governmental abduction policies that we would call genocide were we examining it today (ex. Russia/Ukraine...)

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

How about we leave it at nine and institute term limits?

No - each justice is supposed to be "over" a circuit court. It doesn't make sense that we stopped expanding the supreme court while we have more circuit courts than we used to, and the we had 9 justices because we had 9 appellate courts 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good luck with that.

There used to be a justice for every federal circuit. We should do that again or impeach Thomas and Alito.  I don’t think either is politically possible but the Supreme Court is corrupt and in need of reform 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

No - each justice is supposed to be "over" a circuit court. It doesn't make sense that we stopped expanding the supreme court while we have more circuit courts than we used to, and the we had 9 justices because we had 9 appellate courts 

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We should do both 

TBH, IDGAF how many SC justices there are -- but we need to do away with lifetime appointments yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

My grandmother was half Choctaw. She and her brother were orphaned and spent some of their childhood w Choctaw relatives on a reservation.  My grandmother hated indians her whole adult life because of the abuse she took from the neighbor adults and children and even her own relatives for being half white.  She married my grandfather, a white son of a sharecropper who finished 4th grade before his dad made him quit to work on the farm and rent out to pick cotton for others full time, when she was 18 and they got the fuck out. 

During residency I took care of a lot of Indians from the various reservations and one of my intern mates was a Cherokee who grew up on a reservation. He knew one other guy his age who wasn’t a full blown alcoholic, meth addict, or wetbrained from huffing paint. And several were dead or in nursing homes by mid 20’s 

I’m glad my ancestors made it out of that situation and if there’s a chance to save a kid from growing up in it I’m on the side of getting them the fuck out 

It's important to recognize these struggles, and as pointed out in another post, there are societal and systemic issues at play. But surely you aren't suggesting that the Brackeens should have won because it's better for these Native kids to be raised by white people, right? Foster and adoptive parents still have to prove themselves capable, so the decision is between a responsible Indian family or a responsible white (or other) type of family. ICWA provides a strong preference to qualified Native homes, to counter the prior policy that required Indian kids to be raised white to eradicate the notion of being indigenous. It's important in large part because of the prior policies that have contributed to the societal problems faced by many Native families.

• Hook 'Em 3

I appreciate the lifetime appointment in many respects, but with people living to 100, I'm open to term limits and/or a forced retirement age. If the court had not become so political, I might think different, but potentially 40-50 years of a court looking to take away rights that have been recognized for decades is not sustainable.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m completely serious when I say this…  I honestly would have guessed that these guys would be able to offer up MUCH more reasoned and persuasive public arguments for themselves.   

In other words:  Samuel Alito is terrible at this job.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I’m completely serious when I say this…  I honestly would have guessed that these guys would be able to offer up MUCH more reasoned and persuasive public arguments for themselves.   

In other words:  Samuel Alito is terrible at this job.  

I think when you are guilty as sin of being bribed by billionaires for decades and clearly are compromised, it's a little harder to defend.

• Hook 'Em 1

As far as getting rid of lifetime appointments, good luck getting an amendment to Article III passed.....

I've never been fully down with the interpretation of "hold their office in good behavior" as granting lifetime tenure, but whatever.  236 years of interpreting that way is what it is.   

17 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

As far as getting rid of lifetime appointments, good luck getting an amendment to Article III passed.....

I've never been fully down with the interpretation of "hold their office in good behavior" as granting lifetime tenure, but whatever.  236 years of interpreting that way is what it is.   

Thomas wants to throw it all out, but Im sure he wants to keep that law 

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

Foster and adoptive parents still have to prove themselves capable

I’m not sure why you thought I am making an argument for someone winning because they are “white”, but the above statement is a real head scratcher. I had up close interactions with kids placed with “capable” foster parents in Oklahoma. Kids not old enough to walk with femur fractures, toddlers with 3rd degree immersion burns, “near drownings,” closed head injury with cortical blindness. Of all races. Common denominator was shitty home situation leading to foster placement. I’m sure it’s no better in Texas 

Is the ICWA better at screening than state CPS? Were the options fostering w a native family vs actual adoption with the white family or adoption in both cases? 

I would be interested in seeing how these kids end up as adults 

Also the way I understand the sovereignty issue the native leaders absolutely should have authority over where the children go. I just hope they make the right decision 

• Hook 'Em 3