The Supremes

tx 3 putt

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

Surprised that no one is discussing the internet free speech case in front of SCOTUS this morning. Shit, this might be worthy of its own thread since it could have a direct bearing on how this site operates.

Supreme Court Seems Torn in Free Speech Challenges to Social Media Laws
The tech industry argues that laws in Florida and Texas, prompted by conservative complaints about censorship, violate the First Amendment. The court’s decision could fundamentally alter the nature of speech on the internet.

The Supreme Court seemed troubled on Monday by a Florida law that prohibits social media companies from disfavoring conservative speakers, at least to the extent that it bars major platforms like Facebook and YouTube from making editorial judgments. But several justices indicated that the sprawling law may be constitutional as applied to other sites like Gmail, Venmo, Uber and Etsy.

The court spent more than two hours debating the Florida law, and it went on to consider a similar one from Texas in a second argument. But based on questions in the first argument, the justices seemed torn about how to address broad challenges to laws that may be unconstitutional in key respects but permissible in others.

The court’s decision, expected by June, will almost certainly be its most important statement on the scope of the First Amendment in the internet era, and it will have major political and economic implications. A ruling that tech platforms have no editorial discretion to decide what posts to allow would expose users to a greater variety of viewpoints but almost certainly amplify the ugliest aspects of the digital age, including hate speech and disinformation.

That, in turn, could deal a blow to the platforms’ business models, which rely on curation to attract users and advertisers.

• The laws’ supporters said they were an attempt to combat what they called Silicon Valley censorship, through which major social media companies had deleted posts expressing conservative views. The laws were prompted in part by the decisions of some platforms to bar President Donald J. Trump after the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.
  • The laws, from Florida and Texas, differ in their details. Florida’s prevents the platforms from permanently barring candidates for political office in the state while Texas’ prohibits the platforms from removing any content based on a user’s viewpoint. “To generalize just a bit,” Judge Andrew S. Oldham wrote in a decision upholding the Texas law, the Florida law “prohibits all censorship of some speakers,” while the one from Texas “prohibits some censorship of all speakers” when based on the views they express.
  • The two trade associations challenging the state laws — NetChoice and the Computer & Communications Industry Association — said that the actions Judge Oldham called censorship were editorial choices protected by the First Amendment, which generally prohibits government restrictions on speech based on content and viewpoint. The groups said that social media companies were entitled to the same constitutional protections enjoyed by newspapers, which are generally free to publish what they like without government interference.
  • The states responded that internet platforms were common carriers required to transmit everyone’s messages and that the laws protected free speech by ensuring that users have access to many points of view.
  • Federal appeals courts reached conflicting conclusions in 2022 about the constitutionality of the two laws. A unanimous three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit largely upheld a preliminary injunction blocking Florida’s law. But a divided three-judge panel of the Fifth Circuit reversed a lower court’s order blocking the Texas law.
  • The Biden administration supports the social media companies in the two cases, Moody v. NetChoice, No. 22-277, and NetChoice v. Paxton, No. 22-555.
  • The Supreme Court blocked the Texas law in 2022 while the case moved forward by a 5-to-4 vote, with an unusual coalition in dissent. The court’s three most conservative members — Justices Samuel A. Alito Jr., Clarence Thomas and Neil M. Gorsuch — filed a dissent saying they would have let the law go into effect. Justice Elena Kagan, a liberal, also dissented, though she did not join the dissent and gave no reasons of her own.

A ruling that tech platforms have no editorial discretion to decide what posts to allow would expose users to a greater variety of viewpoints but almost certainly amplify the ugliest aspects of the digital age, including hate speech and disinformation.

There was a Prairie View A&M professor (wat) talking about this on the local news this morning.  Sounds to me like the snowflakes that get banned for being nazis on social media are big mad and this is the case that might let them continue being nazis.  Not to mention just throwing the doors wide open for foreign interference.  Again.  Doesn't seem great.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There was a Prairie View A&M professor (wat) talking about this on the local news this morning.  Sounds to me like the snowflakes that get banned for being nazis on social media are big mad and this is the case that might let them continue being nazis.  Not to mention just throwing the doors wide open for foreign interference.  Again.  Doesn't seem great.

Pretty much. Florida and Texas got big mad when Trump got banned. 

This is what’s at stake in Monday’s arguments.

Social media companies braced for Supreme Court arguments on Monday whose outcome could fundamentally alter the way they police their sites.

After Facebook, Twitter and YouTube barred President Donald J. Trump in the wake of the Jan. 6, 2021, riots at the Capitol, Florida made it illegal for technology companies to ban from their sites a candidate for office in the state. Texas later passed its own law prohibiting platforms from taking down political content.

Two tech industry groups, NetChoice and the Computer & Communications Industry Association, sued to block the laws from taking effect. They argued that the companies have the right to make decisions about their own platforms under the First Amendment, much as a newspaper gets to decide what runs in its pages.

The Supreme Court’s decision in those cases — Moody v. NetChoice and NetChoice v. Paxton — is a big test of the power of social media companies, potentially reshaping millions of social media feeds by giving the government influence over how and what stays online.

“What’s at stake is whether they can be forced to carry content they don’t want to,” said Daphne Keller, a lecturer at Stanford Law School who filed a brief with the Supreme Court supporting the tech groups’ challenge to the Texas and Florida laws. “And, maybe more to the point, whether the government can force them to carry content they don’t want to.”

If the Supreme Court says the Texas and Florida laws are constitutional and they take effect, some legal experts speculate that the companies could create versions of their feeds specifically for those states. Still, such a ruling could usher in similar laws in other states, and it is technically complicated to accurately restrict access to a website based on location.

Critics of the laws say the feeds to the two states could include extremist content — from neo-Nazis, for example — that the platforms previously would have taken down for violating their standards. Or, the critics say, the platforms could ban discussion of anything remotely political by barring posts about many contentious issues.

Texas and Florida will lose soundly, 6-3 or even 7-2 (Gorsuch is the unknown).  The laws are horribly written and clearly unconstitutional. I guess I'm worried about what landmines Roberts leaves in a decision to exploit later, but I'm not sure he even will do that with this one. He'll probably just take some bullshit "Roberts shows the court can still be moderate!" stories and be happy. 

29 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Texas and Florida will lose soundly, 6-3 or even 7-2 (Gorsuch is the unknown).  The laws are horribly written and clearly unconstitutional. I guess I'm worried about what landmines Roberts leaves in a decision to exploit later, but I'm not sure he even will do that with this one. He'll probably just take some bullshit "Roberts shows the court can still be moderate!" stories and be happy. 

You're probably right.  Or at least, you should be right.  But....counterpoint....

Calvinball.jpg

• Rage+1 2

On 2/24/2024 at 5:24 PM, tx 3 putt said:

image.png.546f5347f53addbf218b3ec3be808f34.png

wait. how did this even happen?

oh, a pet of Ginni Thomas. Ginni and Thomas - the field of psychiatry hasn't terms for this relationship.

From Wiki:

Following her departure from Turning Point USA, Clanton had worked for Ginni Thomas,[4] the Justice's wife, and had lived at the Thomas's house for a year. Ginni Thomas was a member of the Turning Point USA advisory council at the time of Clanton's departure.[5]

image.thumb.png.9aff0c373dbf6c4312f30e638cb8e13a.png

Edited by yoladu
  • Rage+1 2

19 minutes ago, yoladu said:

oh, a pet of Ginni Thomas. Ginni and Thomas - the field of psychiatry hasn't terms for this relationship.

From Wiki:

Following her departure from Turning Point USA, Clanton had worked for Ginni Thomas,[4] the Justice's wife, and had lived at the Thomas's house for a year. Ginni Thomas was a member of the Turning Point USA advisory council at the time of Clanton's departure.[5]

That looks like a Domaine Romanee Conti Echezeaux.  Those go for about $3K a bottle these days (on release).  You know, the kind of wine that people of regular stock enjoy.

"YOU KNOW, I DON’T HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH GOING TO EUROPE, BUT I PREFER THE UNITED STATES, AND I PREFER SEEING THE REGULAR PARTS OF THE UNITED STATES. I PREFER GOING ACROSS THE RURAL AREAS. I PREFER THE RV PARKS, AND I PREFER THE WALMART PARKING LOTS TO THE BEACHES AND THINGS LIKE THAT. THERE’S SOMETHING NORMAL TO ME ABOUT IT. I COME FROM REGULAR STOCK, AND I PREFER THAT. I PREFER BEING AROUND THAT."

image.png.d01bd1a99c1ca1c960f34a106cf3c035.png

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

firsttime-james.gif

13 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Never underestimate the ability of this Court to come up with the worst possible outcome. 

13 hours ago, yoladu said:

From Wiki:

Let's see how long the "both sides" media covers this

What the fuck?  This is even weirder than Matt Gaetz adopting an adult cabana boy.  The fuck with this simulation?  

I can’t wait until her expense reports come out.  Ginny, “sweetheart, we need some bread, milk, $3k wine, and all the Vaseline they have at the store.  I’ll reimburse you from Turning Point PAC.  Run along now…”

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What the fuck?  This is even weirder than Matt Gaetz adopting an adult cabana boy.  The fuck with this simulation?  

I can’t wait until her expense reports come out.  Ginny, “sweetheart, we need some bread, milk, $3k wine, and all the Vaseline they have at the store.  I’ll reimburse you from Turning Point PAC.  Run along now…”

Why would they be made public? Thats not the type of disclosures required by law, and the ones that are get broken regularly with no more consequences than a pro publica article and a “I thought this was allowed” statement. Then we all continue on this charade

Let’s get this ball rolling:

https://www.democracydocket.com/news-alerts/democrats-introduce-bill-to-expand-u-s-supreme-court/#:~:text=WASHINGTON%2C D.C. — On Tuesday%2C,from nine to 13 justices.

US Senate and House Democrats introduced a bill that would add four seats to the U.S. Supreme Court, bringing the bench from nine to 13 justices. The bill was introduced by Sens. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), Tina Smith (D-Minn.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Reps. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), Cori Bush (D-Mo.) and Adam Schiff (D-Calif.). The Judiciary Act was first introduced in 2021; a press release cites the growing support for court expansion in the intervening two years.

Today, the argument for an expanded Court has reemerged. “Republicans have hijacked the confirmation process and stolen the Supreme Court majority—all to appeal to far-right judicial activists who for years have wanted to wield the gavel to roll back fundamental rights,” Markey said in a press release. “Each scandal uncovered, each norm broken, each precedent-shattering ruling delivered is a reminder that we must restore justice and balance to the rogue, radical Supreme Court. It is time we expand the Court.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Let’s get this ball rolling:

https://www.democracydocket.com/news-alerts/democrats-introduce-bill-to-expand-u-s-supreme-court/#:~:text=WASHINGTON%2C D.C. — On Tuesday%2C,from nine to 13 justices.

US Senate and House Democrats introduced a bill that would add four seats to the U.S. Supreme Court, bringing the bench from nine to 13 justices. The bill was introduced by Sens. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), Tina Smith (D-Minn.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Reps. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), Cori Bush (D-Mo.) and Adam Schiff (D-Calif.). The Judiciary Act was first introduced in 2021; a press release cites the growing support for court expansion in the intervening two years.

Today, the argument for an expanded Court has reemerged. “Republicans have hijacked the confirmation process and stolen the Supreme Court majority—all to appeal to far-right judicial activists who for years have wanted to wield the gavel to roll back fundamental rights,” Markey said in a press release. “Each scandal uncovered, each norm broken, each precedent-shattering ruling delivered is a reminder that we must restore justice and balance to the rogue, radical Supreme Court. It is time we expand the Court.”

Need to revise this to add fucking thirty.

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Now the SC has decided to hear the Trump’s immunity case. I guess the three judge panel’s rendering left something to be desired.

That thing being "making Trump an untouchable king."

We were founded as a rebellion against absolute monarchy.  It's only fitting that our final act of self-immolation will be the installation of an absolute monarchy.

• Rage+1 4

2 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The Supreme Court is going to copy the Appeals Court's work, tweak it just enough to make it look like their work, but in doing this will give Trump at least a month of delay.

This is the take I've seen the most. Doesn't really make me feel better though.

2 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The Supreme Court is going to copy the Appeals Court's work, tweak it just enough to make it look like their work, but in doing this will give Trump at least a month of delay.

At least. He will get away with all of it and the SC will have blood on their hands. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Yep they certainly weren’t going to let the Appeals Court have THE final say on this. Enshrine it into the books

if they say yes, he has complete immunity as all presidents do. then i suggest big joe biden flexes and just cancels the election, imprisons trump for whatever he wants, dismisses the court, and generally goes on a rampage as a newly crowned king of america. this shit is just stupid.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

If Robert’s wants the court to have any shred of legitimacy, he forces Clarence to recuse himself and forces the others to vote 8-0 that no, there is no such thing as Presidential immunity.

The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

• Haha 5

Should I be concerned with the Court’s order which mentions reviewing Presidential Immunity for alleged official acts?

Can they just assume his actions were official and therefore grant immunity?

Given the falsehoods utilized to support other decisions of this Court, I have no confidence they get to the right decision here.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I think this is the high likelihood.

31 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Also, April 22 is considered expedited? 

In all honesty, yeah.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

if they say yes, he has complete immunity as all presidents do. then i suggest big joe biden flexes and just cancels the election, imprisons trump for whatever he wants, dismisses the court, and generally goes on a rampage as a newly crowned king of america. this shit is just stupid.

It is always odd to me these far right dumbasses never see the other side of the coin with their bullshit. I guess they assume Democrats are too pussy to pull something like this off.

1 minute ago, hornmpa96 said:

Should I be concerned with the Court’s order which mentions reviewing Presidential Immunity for alleged official acts?

Can they just assume his actions were official and therefore grant immunity?

Given the falsehoods utilized to support other decisions of this Court, I have no confidence they get to the right decision here.

I find it weird too.  What could they possibly do? Say “yes there is immunity for official acts, and we remand to determine whether this is one?”  That’s weak. 

NYT points out part of the state’s brief that’s interesting. 

Mr. Smith echoed the point, citing the officials’ brief. “A sufficient basis for resolving this case would be that, whatever the rule in other contexts not presented here,” he wrote, “no immunity attaches to a president’s commission of federal crimes to subvert the electoral process.”

That seems like an easy way to resolve it that relies on the same themes Trump is using. The Constitution provides a check on the presidency through impeachment. It also provides it through elections.  No immunity for things that affect those. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

IMG_9169.jpeg

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

If Roberts wants the court to have any shred of legitimacy, he forces Clarence to recuse himself and forces the others to vote 8-0 that no, there is no such thing as Presidential immunity.

Harlan is not going to allow Clarence to recuse. He’s too useful.

• Rage+1 2