Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Izhmash said:

Username definitely does not check out, but thanks for the clarification.  Was curious if there was an 8th Regiment that I wasn't familiar with...haven't followed closely in many years.

I am a defense contractor and have done stuff with the guys at 36th CAB in Austin, but we currently don't have any of our aircraft with them.  No clue if they are spooling anything up, but I would guess they are at least on a short recall at this point.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, seven said:

Haven't heard a peep from my company yet, I have a feeling they won't do anything unless they receive some guidance from state or federal government. They are a small business with about 400 employees, 300+ of which are welders and shop workers (steel fabricator). Not very adaptable to just working at home. Probably can't shut those people down until GC's and construction sites start shutting down. What a complicated mess. 

Same boat.  We have deadlines to meet unless clients start suspending projects.  As much as WFH would work for managment, 90% of our employees do physical work.

Company hasn't addressed, but I don't think there's actually much they can do.  Unions have been silent as well.

Edited by JBJ

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

welp

Shits getting live. There is some serious danger in our faces and the whole country and market is gettin real jumpy but the WH Press Sec. said there’s no need to test Trump. 

if this shit were a movie I’d be throwing my popcorn at the screen because of the ridiculous plot 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I am pretty sure our President is going to eventually come down with it and then the USA government shitshow will get turned up to 11.

(No CR intended at all)

Don't upset our overlord. 

23 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I am pretty sure our President is going to eventually come down with it and then the USA government shitshow will get turned up to 11.

(No CR intended at all)

So in one sentence you include:

- Trump

- Political shitshow &

- Both sides

LOL IMMAMAC FTFY

But there was no CR intended?  

jean claude van damme ok GIF

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

No one who passed 6th grade math is blowing off 1% when there's talk of 40+% of the country getting it at some point. 1% for something as contagious as this is a huge fucking number.

I hate to break it to you, but you're completely wrong.  The average American has absolutely no number sense.  Cue the Brian Williams interview...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Think, man. Think what you are saying. Schools are cesspools. One adult gets the virus and passes it to his kid. Kid is a asymptomatic, goes to school and passes it to every other kid. Then every kid goes home and passes it to their parents.

This. As someone who works for a large district in Bell co, I can tell you there isn't any amount of "cleaning" that's going to stop this. 

Yet our idiot superintendent still plans on business as usual on Monday. I bet his kids stay home.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I hate to break it to you, but you're completely wrong.  The average American has absolutely no number sense.  Cue the Brian Williams interview...

And also don't have access to like, maps. 

30 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Welp, that's where my 78-year-old father-in-law lives. But of course he says it's all a hoax to remove Trump and so he hasn't changed his behavior at all.

On the other hand he's a lifetime smoker who recently finished chemo for his throat cancer and refuses to stop smoking so there's a chance he kind of wants to die at this point.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Constant said:

Least susceptible to hospitalization and death. Equal carriers and spreaders. We need to keep people out of incubating facilities as much as possible. 

No, they're much worse spreaders. Elementary school kids' hands basically don't stop touching their faces and their friends during the school day.

After trying to tell everyone over the past 3 weeks that this was coming and to prepare, ive learned two things:

1) people are clueless about the world around them

2) 99% of people over the age of 55 or 60 that ive talked to dont even believe this is even a thing or counter with “its not gonna be that bad... the media is just overblowing this.”

i shrug and continue to buy brisket and post oak

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, I probably should have worded it, "No one who passed 6th grade math should be blowing off 1%..."

I work with a lot of smart people, but holy shit they've gotten dumber watching their market portfolios crash.  "All of this over a handful of people dying? What an overreaction/hoax."

Edited by aggie08

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Welp, that's where my 78-year-old father-in-law lives. But of course he says it's all a hoax to remove Trump and so he hasn't changed his behavior at all.

On the other hand he's a lifetime smoker who recently finished chemo for his throat cancer and refuses to stop smoking so there's a chance he kind of wants to die at this point.

Yea, my dad is in a similar boat.  He quit smoking, but only recently, and hes got the lungs of a coal miner and is on blood thinners.  Hes been drinking the Fox News kool-aid that its not as bad as the flu, so Im just waiting for him to get admitted to CRDAMC.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

No, they're much worse spreaders. Elementary school kids' hands basically don't stop touching their faces and their friends during the school day.

As a father of a 2 and 5 year old, I completely agree. My apologies for that oversight in that post. Kids are fucking disgusting creatures. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

My wife is always overbought on TP. We haven’t had to go out to try to hoard - this is what we have just in our bathroom cabinet:

56ceaa2a4c57b9d1fb52110b929ac460.jpg

Posted for your amusement, because we all need a damned chuckle.

I’ll sell anyone a roll for $20.

Lulz, that is all you have?  You dead.

My wife is always overbought on TP. We haven’t had to go out to try to hoard - this is what we have just in our bathroom cabinet:

That’s it?

Also it looks like anything but charming strong or soft. Goodbye

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How much for the half-empty packet of Prep-H wipes?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Think, man. Think what you are saying. Schools are cesspools. One adult gets the virus and passes it to his kid. Kid is a asymptomatic, goes to school and passes it to every other kid. Then every kid goes home and passes it to their parents.

I keep hearing different things about this.  It seems that keeping kids out on SB where they've likely travelled and socialized heavily is a good thing.

But several articles from Italy said that most kids used their time off (which wasn't part of a normal holiday like it is here) to do the opposite of social-distancing.  Maybe we know enough now to not have that same problem.

There also a question of transmissivity.  Flu and colds have higher transmissity among youngs than olds.  Either the opposite is true here, or the symptoms are so mild for youngs that the vast majority of cases are unreported.  Don't quote me on this, but the case rate of people under 19 is like 10% that of the general population.  We just don't know.

That being said a precaution is a precaution.  We won't know how effective it is - maybe not even in hindsight.

Just now, JBJ said:

I keep hearing different things about this.  It seems that keeping kids out on SB where they've likely travelled and socialized heavily is a good thing.

But several articles from Italy said that most kids used their time off (which wasn't part of a normal holiday like it is here) to do the opposite of social-distancing.  Maybe we know enough now to not have that same problem.

There also a question of transmissivity.  Flu and colds have higher transmissity among youngs than olds.  Either the opposite is true here, or the symptoms are so mild for youngs that the vast majority of cases are unreported.  Don't quote me on this, but the case rate of people under 19 is like 10% that of the general population.  We just don't know.

That being said a precaution is a precaution.  We won't know how effective it is - maybe not even in hindsight.

this is literally part of the bending the curve graphic we have seen a million times - if you can reduce it by 50% it's worth it. hell, if you can reduce spread/transmission by 10% it's probably worth it

I see Alaska is now reporting a case, so the remaining covid-free (reported) states are now down to Montana, Idaho, Alabama and WV. My money is on Montana to be the last to report. Idaho has Washington next door, even though I imagine Idahoans always avoid the Seattle area.  Alabama has Atlanta too close.  WV may give MT a run but WV still has NOVA and DC nearby.  Montana will be the last state.

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

The people that waited to make supply runs are going to catch it at Costco/Sams/etc.  Buncha fat fucks going to kill each other and spread it.  

This was my first thought as well.  Those fatties are standing way too close together.

F all of that. 

24 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Obesity ad Diabetes are going to come into play and are definitely more of a factor than pollution.

I have wondered if the, "Americans are all fat!!!" narrative was overplayed.  So I went and googled:

MW-FM801_obseit_NS_20170519065202.jpg

The narrative is not overplayed.

My wife got to our neighborhood grocery store at 7am and it was relatively light on crowds. Got all stocked up with food. Main things they were out of were toilet paper and frozen veggies. Got everything else on her list just fine.

Kids and I will be spending our bonus spring break playing video games and being lazy bums. It's gonna be great. 

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Montana has always been at the top of my list to be last for this.

They also have the benefit of being surrounded by Idaho, ND, SD and Wyoming, all with low or zero cases. And whatever is north of them but presumably no one lives there as well. 

to be clear, I doubt any state is actually free of this.

Just now, Parliament said:

I have wondered if the, "Americans are all fat!!!" narrative was overplayed.  So I went and googled:

MW-FM801_obseit_NS_20170519065202.jpg

The narrative is not overplayed.

America is the most obese country I've been in.  Italy had no walkers, no wheelchairs and very few fat people.  There were people with canes but that was it.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away