CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

7 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I don't understand your optimism that there's a single layer of self preservation in these people. Nothing, not a single thing, has moved the needle for these raisin-brained, zombies. Their only sense of betrayal is a negative word about the orange orb.

Humans are hardwired for self-preservation at some point even Darwin award winners have their "oh shit, this was a mistake" moment as impending death zooms into focus.

Unlike every other lie they believe, this will play out directly in front of their eyes. 

I don't understand your optimism that there's a single layer of self preservation in these people. Nothing, not a single thing, has moved the needle for these raisin-brained, zombies. Their only sense of betrayal is a negative word about the orange orb.

This is my general feeling too but go read the replies to that Ben Shapiro tweet - there’s dissension in their ranks already.

Add some dead bodies on the streets and four weeks without a paycheck for some of these folks and I think we’ll see some major cracks.

Now I don’t expect those people to suddenly support Biden and other Democrats but they could very well stay home on November 3rd and that’s just as good.

Only need 3-5% of them to not vote for Trump and it’s a wrap.

Now watch me die from this thing on November 2nd and not be able to enjoy it.

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I wonder what our esteemed Gov Hot Wheels' take on all this is?

I'll go ahead and guess, he's following his master's instructions on inaction to a T.

As someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, I would actually feel a lot better if Perry was still the Governor. That is not a good thing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Humans are hardwired for self-preservation at some point even Darwin award winners have their "oh shit, this was a mistake" moment as impending death zooms into focus.

Unlike every other lie they believe, this will play out directly in front of their eyes. 

Yeah, disagree.  Trump could haul all these folks off to the gulags for no reason and they will blame Hillary’s emails. 

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

I understand your skepticism but at some point, reality is going to put a hard check on a lot of people that have absolute faith in Trump. It will be the moment that they ask why the leopard just ate their face and it will be too late but there will be a moment of clarity for many of his believers.

And for the record I hope you're right. I've just learned the hard way to stop being stunned by underestimating the depths of that kind of ignorance. It has steadily continued to get dumber and that core level of support doesn't budge. If he announced he's taking guns and enacting a credit for voluntary disarmament he'd lose maybe 3% of them. He's the party now. It doesn't matter what he does. They just don't want his opponents to gain anything. They hate the people who hate Trump and hating them transcends all. In a weird way, the hatred of Trump's opponents is seemingly more important than Trump. That vague and incoherent trend has hijacked an entire party. Their royal flush is complete idolatry and nothing will beat that hand. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, F250 said:

No.  Fucking.   Way.

They will drink the kool-aid, and as they are gasping for their last breaths, whisper "suck it, libs!  Owned!"

Stop applying rules of rational thought and decision making to cult members.  They don't apply.  That's kinda the whole point.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, disagree.  Trump could haul all these folks off to the gulags for no reason and they will blame Hillary’s emails. 

I don't think most Trumpsters believe Trump, as much as they don't believe there are consequences for Trump.  Things like the deficit, inhumanity to immigrants, climate change, and violating the Constitution are things that just don't affect them very much.  

This will.  

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

I don't think most Trumpsters believe Trump, as much as they don't believe there are consequences for Trump.  Things like the deficit, inhumanity to immigrants, climate change, and violating the Constitution are things that just don't affect them very much.  

This will.  

And they will buy whatever narrative that absolves Trump of responsibility. 

2 minutes ago, Tuco said:

This will.  

Yep, pretty much this. Everything else until now is easily dismissed due to ignorance and a myopic world view.

When Travis and Bertha in Tyler, TX get sick and can't leave their house due to a quarantine they will no longer be able to ignore reality.

20 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

This is my general feeling too but go read the replies to that Ben Shapiro tweet - there’s dissension in their ranks already.

Add some dead bodies on the streets and four weeks without a paycheck for some of these folks and I think we’ll see some major cracks.

Now I don’t expect those people to suddenly support Biden and other Democrats but they could very well stay home on November 3rd and that’s just as good.

Only need 3-5% of them to not vote for Trump and it’s a wrap.

Now watch me die from this thing on November 2nd and not be able to enjoy it.

Even at the worst levels of chaos they could easily be convinced that it's someone else's fault with about 20 hours of propoganda viewing. Way to go, Pelosi and lib media. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

And they will buy whatever narrative that absolves Trump of responsibility. 

They will be dead. Too many of those folks have underlying conditions like hypertension and diabetes not to mention their age bracket.

Governor wheels was all up in arms about the CDC letting that lady out of quarantine to run around to the mall, but never once mentioned how it's the trump administration and their woeful handling of testing that led them to believe she was not positive for the virus. 

As usual Governor wheels is going to bitch and moan about everything but never placed the blame on his shit fuck party where it belongs. He'll probably find a way to blame Mexicans somehow. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yep, pretty much this. Everything else until now is easily dismissed due to ignorance and a myopic world view.

When Travis and Bertha in Tyler, TX get sick and can't leave their house due to a quarantine they will no longer be able to ignore reality.

Travis and Bertha ain’t gonna self quarantine; even if they are sick they are going to go to Golden Corral because By God, this thing’s just a cold and this is all a hoax.

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Travis and Bertha ain’t gonna self quarantine; even if they are sick they are going to go to Golden Corral because By God, this thing’s just a cold and this is all a hoax.

I didn't say they would self quarantine. That's kind of the point, they won't take it seriously until they already have it and by that point they will not be welcomed at the nearest medical facility.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

btw, is it racist to call it the Chinese coronavirus? I mean, it does seem to have originated in China. Also, it help distinguish it from other forms of human coronavirus. But maybe the better nomenclature is Covid-19?

I don't see the point in adding Chinese.  If you say Coronavirus, people know what you are talking about it.  Covid-19 is technically specific to the disease "COronaVIrus Disease-2019" rather than the virus itself, but is useful for distinguishing it from other strains. 

Edit: it would have been like saying "our black President" when Obama was President.  Sure, it's correct, but what is the purpose for stating it.  If his race has some bearing on the discussion, cool.  If it doesn't, yeah, it's probably racist. 

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 4

So politically, do the Dems support a payroll tax or do they drag their feet? 

Politically, if it ends up not being dead bodies in the streets, and there is a payroll tax cut the juices consumer spending, that would increase Trump's odds of reelection?  I also think a payroll tax cut is a wast of time to combat this issue.  People are going to sit tight and not spend anything until there is clarity about the impact.

If they don't pass it, Trump has an extra bogey man for the possible recession.  "We were doing great, beautiful until them damn chinese released a virus into the world and then the do nothing dems didn't even want to help you!"  

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

Politically, if it ends up not being dead bodies in the streets, and there is a payroll tax cut the juices consumer spending, that would increase Trump's odds of reelection?  I also think a payroll tax cut is a wast of time to combat this issue.  People are going to sit tight and not spend anything until there is clarity about the impact.

If they don't pass it, Trump has an extra bogey man for the possible recession.  "We were doing great, beautiful until them damn chinese released a virus into the world and then the do nothing dems didn't even want to help you!"  

My uneducated guess is that team Trump will propose payroll tax cuts and stimulus to certain industries. Dems will counter with mass, free testing, guaranteed sick pay for workers forced to miss work, and package of funding for continued screening and care.  Then both sides will argue and accuse the other of stonewalling and attempt to put the blame on the other side.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

He is dictating the narrative - again. And you described the political narrative available to him well. 

Biden the frontrunner needs to respond with specific measures. Sanders already has. 

Literally resorting to wishing it away, and notice the things we need to protect. Citizens? Nope. Industry? Yep. 

I had vowed to not vote for Biden, but this lump of fuck is going to directly cause thousands of unnecessary American deaths, so I very well be voting for a benign senile lump of goo to replace this malignant senile lump of goo. Really appreciate the choice, America.

• Like 2

Payroll tax cuts are temporary, don't help those not employed, doesn't help those without insurance, and damages social security, medicare and medicaid as a bonus.  OF course that would be the plan Trump would come up with.

I still can't believe we didn't just order the existing and available text kits from the World Health Organization.  Now we are trying to get the "million" kits shipped? Supposedly? 

It's like our boys in Iraq and Afghanistan, identifying the enemy was the hardest part of the battle.  Right now we are still in the dark, and therefore honestly don't know what scope of emergency we are dealing with.

• Like 5

My uneducated guess is that team Trump will propose payroll tax cuts and stimulus to certain industries. Dems will counter with mass, free testing, guaranteed sick pay for workers forced to miss work, and package of funding for continued screening and care.  Then both sides will argue and accuse the other of stonewalling and attempt to put the blame on the other side.

I mean, in this scenario, only one side is trying to solve the problem.

Please self-quarantine such weak "both sides" takes for 14 days, lest thet spread to our stronger "both sides" posters. 2/10.

14 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I don't see the point in adding Chinese.  If you say Coronavirus, people know what you are talking about it.  Covid-19 is technically specific to the disease "COronaVIrus Disease-2019" rather than the virus itself, but is useful for distinguishing it from other strains. 

Edit: it would have been like saying "our black President" when Obama was President.  Sure, it's correct, but what is the purpose for stating it.  If his race has some bearing on the discussion, cool.  If it doesn't, yeah, it's probably racist. 

It’s revenge for the Spanish Flu which also started in China!  

Edited by Xian

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk