2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Many of those guys had flaws coming out. Jalen Green had skills but needed development. Anthony Cook had limited athleticism for corner. Jamison is small. Foster was pretty maxed out in high school. Overshown was a linebacker playing safety.

Overall, though that class was pretty good. All those guys started. BJ Foster and Jalen Green regressed. Overshown could prove himself this year. Jamison has been steady. Sterns is in the NFL.

The problem that I see is that we had problems with coaching and didn't follow up that class with another haul. Every class has busts but with college football today, you have to identify those busts early and follow up with strong well rounded classes. We haven't done that at all because we have had coaching deficiencies and coaching changes every few years. This gives us talent at some positions but not others and players who we want to keep moving on.

This year we have almost a total roster rebuild. We are bringing in a talented and actually well-rounded class. If we can do that for a few more years in a row, we can compete with anyone. If we suck this year, put Sark on the hot seat, and lose a bunch of recruits, we will end up along the same path we have been following the last decade.

The problem was that class was slow. Cook, Jamison, and Green were the CBS. I believe Green played safety last year and Cook is playing safety now. Jamison has his issues, but at least he was athletic enough to stick at CB. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Not worried about this class, but I am pointing out an issue that has hampered Texas. We saw what happened when Shack left and Herman had to scramble at center. Majors will probably a decent center next year (hopefully). What happens if he is injured? Flood is likely to throw someone in there with little prep and the alternative is a true freshmen that is learning the position and is the lowest rated OL in the class.  That is a problem. This is arguably the most important position on the OL and I would like to see some bodies thrown at it, so there is a 2/3 deep at some point in my life time. Texas has 2 players scouts describe as super athletic, but lacking Tackle length. That is Campbell and Neto. I would not mind seeing one of them at center. 

Neto, Robertson, and Hutson would be the most likely candidates.

5 hours ago, OB3 said:

I’m not an OL guru but I feel like Majors problems are he’s not super athletic and small for his position. Campbell is fine in both of those areas. I don’t see anything with Majors technique that makes me say “we can’t have another left handed center”

Majors has plenty of athleticism. He is small and struggles to anchor against big DTs. He's one of several of our OL recruited under Herman that would fit better in an OZ scheme. 

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

The problem was that class was slow. Cook, Jamison, and Green were the CBS. I believe Green played safety last year and Cook is playing safety now. Jamison has his issues, but at least he was athletic enough to stick at CB. 

Pretty amazing when you think about it. All these camps. All these scouts. All the film. And a bunch of high 4 stars don't even possess baseline athleticism to play the position. Wasn't Cook briefly a 5 star?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

The fact that y’all have any opinion at all of the spring game when it has pretty much never been indicative of anything ever is something.

I just want to be entertained , I could careless. It’s all controlled anyway 

Edited by D3zii

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, @Exporter85 will soak this up...

lol Bucknuts have been running with rumors that Quinn looks lost and Card is the CLEAR leader.  As much as they try to dismiss the Quinn narrative of him being a quitter/primadonna, and that he won't become much of anything.. they know he may very well be the best QB by the time he's done.

Edited by Thiefery

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, @Exporter85 will soak this up...

26 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

lol Bucknuts have been running with rumors that Quinn looks lost and Card is the CLEAR leader.  As much as they try to dismiss the Quinn narrative of him being a quitter/primadonna, and that he won't become much of anything.. they know he may very well be the best QB by the time he's done.

I"m sure he's biased, but his comments aren't wrong. The current roster's ceiling is 8-4, and I doubt they'd even hit that. The true frosh OL getting here in the summer should raise that, since it was one of the best OL classes any school has ever signed, but we really won't know how many of them are ready to play until the seasons gets going.  It would've been really nice to have a couple more of them be EEs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

The fact that y’all have any opinion at all of the spring game when it has pretty much never been indicative of anything ever is something.

Sarkisian already said yesterday they will be super vanilla and won’t be showing off a lot of the new stuff they’ve worked on. I imagine any type of scheme changes on defense or anything of that nature won’t be showcased fully.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I"m sure he's biased, but his comments aren't wrong. The current roster's ceiling is 8-4, and I doubt they'd even hit that. The true frosh OL getting here in the summer should raise that, since it was one of the best OL classes any school has ever signed, but we really won't know how many of them are ready to play until the seasons gets going.  It would've been really nice to have a couple more of them be EEs. 

I'd say the celing is about 11 wins but a lot will have to go right for that to happen. Outside of Alabama there's not anyone on the schedule we can't hang with and grind out wins against if we're an improved team (especially defense) and Ewers is very solid. Oklahoma is a giant question mark and the rest of the little 8 are solid but not contenders. 

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

That's Daniel Figurelli or whatever the fuck his last name is responding further down in the Twitter replies. Fuck him and his ugly wife.

And yet Jimbo blamed the wind for his QBs collective sub 50% completion rate and gave Evan Stewart player of the game honors for catching swing passes against the third team defense. #agscuses?

Edited by Vertigo

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'd say the celing is about 11 wins but a lot will have to go right for that to happen. Outside of Alabama there's not anyone on the schedule we can't hang with and grind out wins against if we're an improved team (especially defense) and Ewers is very solid. Oklahoma is a giant question mark and the rest of the little 8 are solid but not contenders. 

I actually did the exercise awhile ago. I think I had Texas as a dog in only 1 game (Bama). Guesstimating spreads and putting in the win percentage (FG favorite ~60%, TD favorite ~70%), I got around 8 wins. That is a reflection that Texas just doesnt have many games where they are going to be huge favorites and really only 1 game where you write "L" in pen. 11 is possible, but highly unlikely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

if we're an improved team (especially defense) and Ewers is very solid

Well, of course. If the defense substantially improves and Ewers is really good from the start, then yes, we could have a nice season.

How many first year QB starters are "very solid" behind substandard o-lines?

Do you think our D will be significantly improved? Just because it can't be much worse doesn't mean it has to, by default, substantially improve. 

Humidor:

Sounds like everyone is eager for the Texas Longhorns’ Orange-White Game on Saturday. But before that…

Thursday Practice

On Thursday, the offense in general struggled mainly due to quarterbacks and offensive line. The quarterbacks had maybe their worst day of spring taking care of the ball, throwing 4-5 picks between team and situational work. Not all the picks were thrown by the first two quarterbacks but D’Shawn Jamison had what seems like his 10th pick of the spring, this one off an errant Hudson Card throw (Card did throw a touchdown to Jonathon Brooks). True freshman Larry Turner-Gooden got in the action as well. 

This prompted the question to a source: Compared to the Big 12, are the quarterbacks at the top or middle of the pack?

“There are definitely moments when they are at the top of the pack but not yet at a consistent level. They have top of the pack traits, though.”

Another source mentioned the defense looks much more cohesive than last year. Certainly that takeaway may be biased because of Thursday’s practice, but there’s some real optimism within the program the defense is coming along.

“They play with good energy, are flying around, show better team pursuit, are playing together better, and most importantly, communicating much better.”

On Thursday, Sark mentioned he was pleased with development across the board. That has been a theme we’ve written increasingly more as spring ball progressed. On Saturday we’ll get to see with our own eyes.

Orange-White Game Preview 

Sark said they won’t keep score but they’ll make things interesting at the end. They’ll likely do what they do to end each practice which has the chance to be mildly entertaining and I’d bet they keep score.

Something to keep in mind, and this is kind of new to us as well, is just how banged up the team is. While the team was fortunate when it came to avoiding injuries this spring, there are a lot of bumps and bruises that may limit some players. Normally we won’t mention names unless we know they’re going to be out for a while, but this is the spring game and the “opposing coaches“ already know the deal.

We expect Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers to split time with the ones. That will extend well into August. We doubt you’ll see Maalik Murphy, but he was active again in 7v7 on Thursday.

At running back, expect a healthy serving of Jonathon Brooks. 

Andrej Karic is banged up so the O-line should be Hayden Conner–Junior Angilau–Jake Majors–Cole Hutson–Christian Jones. As we’ve stated, there is optimism regarding Hutson so it should be fun to see him. Angilau has worked at center some of late in case he’s needed to snap on Saturday. The source then went on a tangent to say how much excitement there is in the program for the 2022 O-line signees to arrive.

The source spoke highly of Ja’Tavion Sanders and Gunnar Helm. He made it sound like if we see any extra-curricular activity on Saturday it will be between Jahleel Billingsley and Anthony Cook.

We’re not expecting a whole lot of Xavier Worthy and Jordan Whittington but they’ll make some plays. 

On the defensive side, Keondre Coburn was mentioned as being in the best shape of his career but Alfred Collins, Byron Murphy, and T’Vondre Sweat are all coming along and don’t stay blocked for long. Aaron Bryant has a good future but his head is still swimming. This group is seen as making a lot of strides. Based on spring ball, Collins should have that breakout everyone is looking for.

Nothing new on the edges, but we’re excited to see Barryn Sorrell and Ovie Oghoufo. A week or so ago one source predicted Sorrell will have a game that gets fans’ attention. Justice Finkley was mentioned as benefitting a lot from his maturity. He still makes mistakes but he’s very coachable and works.

DeMarvion Overshown and Jaylan Ford are predictably with the ones. David Gbenda is nursing an injury that may limit him. Jett Bush will likely see action at Mike. Devin Richardson had a couple of good practices later in spring ball.

Jahdae Barron is a bit banged up. We might only see him at STAR rather than switching between STAR and corner. We’re not entirely sure. Ryan Watts and D’Shawn Jamison are the first corners if they’re in nickel. At the twos, we’ll see Terrance Brooks and Jamier Johnson at corner and Michael Taaffe at nickel.

Safety is Jerrin Thompson at field and Anthony Cook at boundary, with Kitan Crawford rotating with Thompson some. JD Coffey is another one who is nursing a slight injury. Morice Blackwell and BJ Allen are behind Cook. We’ll probably see Larry Turner-Gooden there as well.

At this juncture, the defense is ahead of the offense. We’re not sure if that’s exactly how it will play out in the spring game, but that’s how it’s been during the spring.

One Final Note

The modern college coach gets very, very little down time. I don’t care how much they get paid, I don’t know how they balance the varying aspects of their job and family life. Following the spring game on Saturday, coaches will begin hitting the road on Sunday to evaluate and recruit.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I actually did the exercise awhile ago. I think I had Texas as a dog in only 1 game (Bama). Guesstimating spreads and putting in the win percentage (FG favorite ~60%, TD favorite ~70%), I got around 8 wins. That is a reflection that Texas just doesnt have many games where they are going to be huge favorites and really only 1 game where you write "L" in pen. 11 is possible, but highly unlikely. 

My guess is Texas will favored in 8 or 9 games in 2022.    Bama, blOU and okie lite will all be favored against the Horns.

Texas Longhorns Schedule 2022
DATE OPPONENT      
Sat, 9/3
vsULMULM

Sat, 9/10
vsALAALA

Sat, 9/17
vsUTSAUTSA

Sat, 9/24
@TTUTTU

Sat, 10/1
vsWVUWVU

Sat, 10/8
vsOUOU *

Sat, 10/15
vsISUISU

Sat, 10/22
@OKSTOKST

Sat, 11/5
@KSUKSU

Sat, 11/12
vsTCUTCU

Sat, 11/19
@KUKU

Sat, 11/26
vsBAYBAY

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

My guess is Texas will favored in 8 or 9 games in 2022.    Bama, blOU and okie lite will all be favored against the Horns.

Texas Longhorns Schedule 2022
DATE OPPONENT      
Sat, 9/3
vsULMULM

Sat, 9/10
vsALAALA

Sat, 9/17
vsUTSAUTSA

Sat, 9/24
@TTUTTU

Sat, 10/1
vsWVUWVU

Sat, 10/8
vsOUOU *

Sat, 10/15
vsISUISU

Sat, 10/22
@OKSTOKST

Sat, 11/5
@KSUKSU

Sat, 11/12
vsTCUTCU

Sat, 11/19
@KUKU

Sat, 11/26
vsBAYBAY

i dont think OU is favored.  OSU is probably favored, so I take that back. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FPI is complete dog shit of a bullshit stat by ESPN. 

You're right. But so is Red Five's proclamation that "The schedule isn’t that difficult". The truth is, outside of Bama, nobody knows if our schedule is difficult or not.

We play 10 games against P5 teams, one against a team that went 12-2 last year, and one against a doormat. Armed solely with that knowledge, I'd guess that the FPI of 15 is probably about right.

28 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It's easy to do that before the season starts. You could have said the same thing last year, except the only game we weren't going to be favored in was OU. And even after the debacle against Arkansas they got a bit of a mulligan after they pounded Tech and Rice, and they were only 4 point dogs in Dallas. The market really corrected after the OSU loss. Still they were getting 6 in the ISU game, which is the biggest spread they faced in any game last year. 

Disregarding the point spread, it really was a strange season last year. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's easy to do that before the season starts. You could have said the same thing last year, except the only game we weren't going to be favored in was OU. And even after the debacle against Arkansas they got a bit of a mulligan after they pounded Tech and Rice, and they were only 4 point dogs in Dallas. The market really corrected after the OSU loss. Still they were getting 6 in the ISU game, which is the biggest spread they faced in any game last year. 

Disregarding the point spread, it really was a strange season last year. 

i always find it interesting when you go though the exercise of putting percentages next to it and add those up. When you ask how many wins and just answer, I am always 1-2 games higher. Its a bit of a reality check. I came back with I believe 7.8, despite saying only a dog vs Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic