Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

36 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The kid disrespectfully throws the horns down next to Tom Herman in a chicken shit way.

I see nothing wrong with that guy's response

Hope he goes to a team we play.

Then he will learn the definition of Bomared.

• Haha 1

The Stampede: Insider notes from Texas' satellite camps

— The reception in California was very warm for Texas coming into their camp at Cal Lutheran. Texas recruiting out west is catching people’s attention, and they view the Longhorns as a cool and up and coming program. One parent told me that another California school was hosting one of their elite camps on the same day, and multiple kids turned them down to perform for the Longhorns instead.

Texas signed their fair share of California guys over the last few years, but they haven’t exactly panned out yet. Cameron Rising transferred, Mikey Grandy was forced to medically retired, Bru McCoy transferred and De'Gabriel Floyd was sidelined for the year with an injury. That said, it’s clear that Texas plans to still attack California as a big recruiting territory.

— Harbor City (Calif.) Narbonne quarterback Jake Garcia was probably the main event during the camp. The Longhorns got the opportunity to see him work in a group setting, and he looked up to the task. In talking to Garcia, his recruitment has a national feel to it. Florida and USC are in there, and it’s likely he will take an official visit to Austin. Garcia has a good relationship with Texas offensive coordinator/quarterback coach Tim Beck, and he visited Austin twice in the last year.

The Longhorns are still in the top position for Parish Episcopal passer Preston Stone, but in the age of the transfer portal, it makes it almost necessary to recruit two quarterbacks. I didn’t get the sense that the Longhorns were at the top for Garcia, but it sounds like they could easily make a move for him if they keep pushing.

— Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany quarterback Miller Moss could be another target for Texas in 2021. Moss mentioned that Texas is a school he would be very interested in even if football wasn’t involved. Moss has several interests at the next level, and he has high aspirations in the classroom. He’s the type of kid who actually means it when he says that he’s looking at schools with great academics. Moss is still figuring out what he wants to study, but he mentioned economics, political science, social justice and studio art as possible education paths. Moss is a stud on the field too, and he’s a very intelligent student of the game. Keep an eye out for a possible offer here.

— Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra wide receiver LV Bunkley-Shelton drew the attention of the entire Texas staff working the camp. The four-star wide out didn’t blow testing away, but he performed extremely well in one on ones and drills. Bunkley-Shelton’s route running and body control were superior to anyone else on the field, and the Longhorns felt they saw enough to offer. In talking with Bunkley-Shelton, his interest in Texas seems legitimate at this point, and he’s working on scheduling a visit to Austin this summer if he can make it. USC coaches stuck in his hip pocket during the entire camp, and he’s also high on Oregon and Ohio State.

— The commitment of 2021 Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis was a little out of nowhere. Davis has always been high on the Horns, and he gushed about Texas when I saw him in the spring. That said, he told me he wanted to use the summer to take as many visits as possible. Oregon was said to be a childhood dream school, while LSU and Alabama were offers that really made him take notice. Still, it was thought that Texas held the edge. The Longhorns were able to get Davis to shut things down early in the process, but as we know in recruiting, they will have to continue to recruit him all the way. It’s just the way it is when a kid commits a year and a half before he can sign.

— The commitment of Davis should also signal that a movement is forming from Dallas to Austin. I wrote last week that Ja'Quinden Jackson’s commitment is what the Longhorns need to make some noise in Dallas, and they doubled up by landing Davis. They are also still in the hunt for Chris Thompson, and they are working on Savion Byrd and Kendrick Blackshire. Lakeview Centennial 2021 running back Camar Wheaton plays on the same 7-on-7 team with Davis, and several of these targets come from the same neighborhood. Texas scored a big commitment in DFW when the Longhorns landed Jake Majors early in the year, but when we talk about winning Dallas it means you have to do some damage in south Dallas. Ra'Shaad Samples is a huge part of that, and he’s been all over Davis since last year.

Samples is a part of the fabric of south Dallas. He understands the kids from that area, and he’s as much a part of the culture as Big T or Fair Park. It’s also interesting to see some recruiting battle lines being drawn between the two biggest cities in the state. For as long as I’ve been alive, there has been a natural rivalry between Dallas and Houston. The state championship game between Duncanville and North Shore helped stoke those fires. It’s not to say that Texas will abandon Houston, as the staff still has major targets and great ties to the area. It’s encouraging to see them winning in Dallas though, and the Longhorns have largely been fighting a battle on two fronts. Oklahoma and Texas A&M have been a menace in DFW, while A&M and LSU have been giving the Longhorns trouble in Houston. Things are starting to turn in Dallas, and this movement is picking up steam from people I speak with.

— As I first reported, C.E. King safety Bryson Washington made an unofficial visit to camp over the weekend. Washington came in on Friday and he left on Sunday. Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar stayed behind to host Washington while the other assistants worked camps. The visit was kept quiet to prevent other schools from trying to talk Washington out of the visit. As I’ve reported, the lead is with the Sooners here. There is still time, and the Longhorns are set to host Washington for an official visit just two weeks before he makes his decision. Washington spent some time with members of the team on Lake Travis, and he really got a feel for the city of Austin overall. Texas won’t go down without a fight here, and I don’t expect Washington’s mind to be made up until he makes that official.

— The Longhorns missed out on Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire over the weekend. Omeire reportedly gave silent commitments to multiple schools during the process, and there were times when each of the schools in his top group felt it would land him. Omeire was still set to take his official visit to Austin in two weeks, but I’m told that communication dropped between Omeire and the staff after he made his official visit to Texas A&M. In speaking with sources at Texas, it’s clear that the Longhorns wanted Omeire and worked very hard to get him. This is a loss for them, but they will move forward in pursuit of five-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson while identifying other potential targets at the X position.

— Four-star Bastrop Cedar Creek DL Alfred Collins laced up his cleats and competed at camps in College Station and Austin during the past week. In speaking with Collins, he really just wants to improve. Though he doesn’t have to workout as he is such a heralded recruit, Collins enjoys the competition and instruction he gets. Collins was originally targeting a summer decision, but it looks like that will be extended. He’s planning to take his official visits during the fall, and he would like to make a decision in December.

— Four-star Manor DL Princely Umanmielen was on campus yet again for the Texas camp yesterday. Texas is doing a good job in this recruitment, and the Longhorns proximity to home allows them to host Umanmielen frequently. He made some comments on the record that he feels the fit may be better at Texas A&M, but I believe that Texas can counter that pitch by pointing out prospects who came to College Station as defensive ends and ended up at defensive tackle. Umanmielen and his coaches get along well with Oscar Giles, and he’s extremely comfortable with the players on campus. He doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to shut things down at this point, so I’d bet we see this one drag out.

25 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

My dad would have whipped my ass for being a disrespectful guest and this kid's dad is celebrating it.  

And if you’re gonna do something like that, own it. Don’t give a fake horns up and then throw em down for half a second.

Edited by destroya

29 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

My dad would have whipped my ass for being a disrespectful guest and this kid's dad is celebrating it.  

Well duh. Being a chickenshit  little bitch is the sooner way. That guy is raising him right!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, destroya said:

And if you’re gonna do something like that, own it. Don’t give a fake horns up and then throw em down for half a second. Dad’s teaching his kid to be disrespectful and a puss.

I only saw the index finger, which heightened my fuckery radar detection, as did Herman. Once Herman sees confirmation of what he thought the kid was doing, I doubt we'll hear anything else about this kid. Regardless of how highly rated he may become, Herman strikes me as the type to hold grudges (so refreshing in a HC.) So in that event, I hope he ends up a gooner so he can get pounded more than Jersey man's pillow in the cotton bowl, and be on the downslide of their program once riley is hired off to the who cares league. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Didn’t Herman just fly to LA to re-re-recruit Bru?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you just compare a random kid at a camp throwing the horns down for a picture with Herman to a national top-10 recruit that was a part of the program but was thinking of transferring because he was homesick?

Edited by Dummy
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Did you just compare a random kid at a camp throwing the horns down for a picture with Herman to a national top-10 recruit that was a part of the program but was thinking of transferring because he was homesick?

He’s a random kid because he just finished his 8th grade year. That’s a big 8th grader/rising freshman so maybe he will be something in 3 years. 

Disrespect is ingrained in them. When we were stationed in Japan, we needed to sell our car (GT-R) and get a bigger vehicle. So we were gonna put the GT-R on the lemon lot to sell on base. We found a couple that had just moved there from Oklahoma and hadn't gotten a car yet. So I sold them the car (for a lot less than I probably would have gotten for it on the car lot). I accidentaly left a couple of Longhorn stickers in the console. This clown put the horn stickers upside down on his bumper, and everytime I saw him on base he would flash the upside down horns at me and stick his toungue out. We never talked sports when we were selling the car and I'm not sure why he felt comfortable doing it to a guy who gave him a really good deal on it. Just goes to show you can't do anything nice for them. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s a random kid because he just finished his 8th grade year. That’s a big 8th grader/rising freshman so maybe he will be something in 3 years. 

Based on known information, care to speculate what that will be?

Edited by Casual Encounter

12 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Describing Texas as “Different” and saying “with that being said” he’s still happy to have an offer doesn’t strike me as great thing. 

I’ll hang up and wring my hands 

I thought the apostrophe abuse was by far the most galling part of the tweet.

The IT Scoop, when it is posted, is going to be yet another opportunity for Giles related commentary. IT has been the most bullish on Broughton heavily favoring UT for months now. It's pretty telling when they start pumping the breaks. I'm sure the bot will be along shortly with the post, I can't copy and paste that much shit from my phone. 

giphy.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton

3 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Sooners are universally pieces of shit. The dregs of society. Electric lights perplex them, so being decent human beings is way too much to ask.

I hope the kid gets his scrotum ripped off by some of his fellow piece of shit Sooner brethren.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The IT Scoop, when it is posted, is going to be yet another opportunity for Giles related commentary. IT has been the most bullish on Broughton heavily favoring UT for months now. It's pretty telling when they start pumping the breaks. I'm sure the bot will be along shortly with the post, I can't copy and paste that much shit from my phone. 

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=12213247

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Anyone know if Broughton has any plans to make it back to campus for our big recruiting weekend in a couple weeks? He’s visited Arky, LSU, and aggy since he OV’d to UT, so it seems like a return trip should be in the works. 

His OV to aggy is the same weekend as our big recruiting weekend.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

He's 13 years old. Who gives a shit? I think it's kinda funny. People get so absurdly sensitive about shit like this.

I think most people are whatever about the kid being a turd, and more upset the dad is celebrating his turd kid's antics. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Anyone know if Broughton has any plans to make it back to campus for our big recruiting weekend in a couple weeks? He’s visited Arky, LSU, and aggy since he OV’d to UT, so it seems like a return trip should be in the works. 

Just skimmed through the IT post.

-there is indeed a plan for a return trip this month, but no date was specified

-his sister is a 2021 basketball recruit, and we may need to offer her

-Texas still leads, but it's a close race

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I think most people are whatever about the kid being a turd, and more upset the dad is celebrating his turd kid's antics. 

The horns down never bothers me - in my view it simply shows the Sooner fans' insecurity with themselves.  Instead of promoting their own school, they choose to attempt to attack their rival, instead.  They have little brother syndrome.

• Like 7