Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

59 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

State of Texas got slaughtered in their latest changes. Demas is the only one who moved up. And yes, I realize that when brand new players move in that the median change within the Top 100 will be a move down, but strange to see no TX players moving way up.

I just double checked to see if I remembered correctly and since 2013 (as far back as I felt like going), Rivals has had our class ranked lower than the composite every single year. Usually about 3-4 spots lower. A couple years it was like 8 spots lower. 

I haven’t checked Texas state recruits in general. I always figured it was Farrell’s anti-UT bias, but it could also be that they have a bigger flaw in their process (like a weak Texas regional guy) that systematically underrates recruits in the state of Texas.

EDIT: Nope. Just checked for aggy, and majority of the years since 2013, Rivals has had aggy higher than the composite, so it certainly seems to be a UT bias, rather than the entire state of Texas. I’m not going to take the time to check individual recruits from the state of Texas for each year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I just double checked to see if I remembered correctly and since 2013 (as far back as I felt like going), Rivals has had our class ranked lower than the composite every single year. Usually about 3-4 spots lower. A couple years it was like 8 spots lower. 

I haven’t checked Texas state recruits in general. I always figured it was Farrell’s anti-UT bias, but it could also be that they have a bigger flaw in their process (like a weak Texas regional guy) that systematically underrates recruits in the state of Texas.

EDIT: Nope. Just checked for aggy, and majority of the years since 2013, Rivals has had aggy higher than the composite, so it certainly seems to be a UT bias, rather than the entire state of Texas. I’m not going to take the time to check individual recruits from the state of Texas for each year. 

Do yourself a favor and don't look at our record for that time period.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Recruiting talent and coaching/development are very different categories.

I know it was mostly tongue in cheek.  You can separate them out but they go hand in hand if you are to judge their evaluations based on the end results.  End results being player production.  Which is ultimately what most fans do.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I know it was mostly tongue in cheek.  You can separate them out but they go hand in hand if you are to judge their evaluations based on the end results.  End results being player production.  Which is ultimately what most fans do.

No. You really don’t. Recruiting rankings are not supposed to be team-specific. Especially not when Texas has the level of dysfunction it had from 2013-2016.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Rivals just gave aggy 2 more composite 5 stars, but I'm sure they'll still be screaming BOMC the moment a new update goes even slightly against them.

And that's fine.  Those 3 guys are legit really good players.  What's gonna happen though, the updates in the next few days will drop the bulk of their class like the breadsticks they are.  (Not accounting for the possibility of SEC bias )

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Rivals just gave aggy 2 more composite 5 stars, but I'm sure they'll still be screaming BOMC the moment a new update goes even slightly against them.

This is the funny part. Even last year most of their top recruits got bumps. The issue with aggy is they are taking a lot of bread outside the top of their class which is where they see adjustments they don't like. 

3 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

And that's fine.  Those 3 guys are legit really good players.  What's gonna happen though, the updates in the next few days will drop the bulk of their class like the breadsticks they are.  (Not accounting for the possibility of SEC bias )

So, a top heavy class comprised of skill players surrounded by spares.....where have I seen this before?

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I know someone who's coached under Campbell, and I was told that he's pretty open about loving the Midwest, and will likely never coach outside of it. I think the first upper tier Midwest job to open up gets him for life, whether its Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, or Penn State. Obviously some of those schools won't have openings for the foreseeable future, but it just takes one to open up. I'm not sure if programs like Wisconsin or Iowa qualify as lifer jobs for him; they might be, but what if Ohio State comes calling? 

Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out soon if he'll be willing to turn down an elite program outside of the Midwest. He's more than happy to hang around Iowa State, so it wouldn't surprise me if he does turn down those jobs. 

If Pittsburgh or even Syracuse opened up, might see Campbell consider them as well.  

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's also emphatically not Midwestern, or an appreciably better job than Iowa State.

oh, for sure

it is literally a 15.5 hour drive from Ames to Syracuse ("only" 4 from Penn State, which I wouldn't consider upper midwest either fwiw)

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

oh, for sure

it is literally a 15.5 hour drive from Ames to Syracuse ("only" 4 from Penn State, which I wouldn't consider upper midwest either fwiw)

Are we talking the heartland?

Anyway, people from Iowa, Kansas, Indiana and Nebraska are very different from the autoworkers in Michigan and the steel workers in Eastern Ohio and Pennsylvania. Wisconsin and Minnesota are more similar to Kansas and Iowa because of agriculture. Illinois has all the agriculture stuff too as long as you separate out Chicago and its suburbs.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Are we talking the heartland?

Anyway, people from Iowa, Kansas, Indiana and Nebraska are very different from the autoworkers in Michigan and the steel workers in Eastern Ohio and Pennsylvania. Wisconsin and Minnesota are more similar to Kansas and Iowa because of agriculture. Illinois has all the agriculture stuff too as long as you separate out Chicago and its suburbs.

Just pulled from Google: regions-the-united-states-map-vector-exa

I would generally agree with this setup. 

31 minutes ago, Istian said:

Campbell isn't going to fucking Pitt or Syracuse over staying at ISU. 

Don't be so quick to count Pitt out... Campbell grew up and still has family just outside Canton, Ohio.  He attended Pittsburgh his first year before ending up at Mount Union.

"When Campbell left Pittsburgh as a player in 1999, he wanted to find a program that fell in line with his high school experience. He wanted to be in a program that didn’t have scholarships or politics to the level of a Division I program. He wanted to be around a coach that helped nurture his passion for the game without sacrificing the process. That was Mount Union."

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/20190802/iowa-state-football-former-mount-union-coach-larry-kehres-on-matt-campbell--hes-rolling 

Edited by LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The update wasn't great for blOU either. A&M benefited the most, by far.

I mean, they gained 2 more five stars and their composite average went up literally like a quarter or half point. From that perspective it’s just fucking hilarious. 

Jesus, as of right now it didn’t even move them into the top 10. Teams with zero 5 stars are ahead of them right now. That’s fucking unbelievable. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, they gained 2 more five stars and their composite average went up literally like a quarter or half point. From that perspective it’s just fucking hilarious. 

For now. If the Rivals250 that comes out tomorrow is just as janky, the changes could be bigger.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

For now. If the Rivals250 that comes out tomorrow is just as janky, the changes could be bigger.

Jesus fucking christ man. Can you not be a negative little bitch for 8 seconds of your life? We always knew they had top heavy talent in their class. What do you think the odds are that their shit ass bread is suddenly going to rise up the 250? I’m guessing probably not likely. And unless dudes are skyrocketing up, the guys worth a few points aren’t suddenly going to raise the class average astronomically. 

How many times do we have to snatch victory from the inevitable and overwhelming jaws of defeat in your mind before you start to come to grips that it isn’t a fluke, it’s a fucking trend? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Don't be so quick to count Pitt out... Campbell grew up and still has family just outside Canton, Ohio.  He attended Pittsburgh his first year before ending up at Mount Union.

"When Campbell left Pittsburgh as a player in 1999, he wanted to find a program that fell in line with his high school experience. He wanted to be in a program that didn’t have scholarships or politics to the level of a Division I program. He wanted to be around a coach that helped nurture his passion for the game without sacrificing the process. That was Mount Union."

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/20190802/iowa-state-football-former-mount-union-coach-larry-kehres-on-matt-campbell--hes-rolling 

This sounds like an incredibly made up cop out for not making it at a D1 but that's just me