We almost got hit by an asteroid last week.

Parliament

Just a city-killer; no big deal.

https://instantweather.ca/2019/07/28/XyPiJ3--city-killer-asteroid-with-the-power-of-a-nuclear-bomb-came-uncomfortably-close-to-earth-this-week-and-nobody-saw-it-coming/?fbclid=IwAR2_KUp1Wmm8jrx5DmYfbZ2f9pRXL2iNcGd0H_0aEYT4Xn0Iyso4U8g5mB8

And now scientists have revealed that they have discovered an asteroid named Asteroid 2019 OK earlier this week and only figured out the magnitude of it just hours before it came within 73,000 kilometres of the earth as reported by NASA. For comparison, the moon is over 5 times that distance at approximately 380,000 kilometres away so that’s relatively close even though it seems like a large number.

According to The Washington Post, it was already expected that a few asteroids would pass by earth this week and pose no threat. So, for most scientists, it didn’t raise any alarm bells when reports began flowing in about an asteroid that brushed by the earth on Thursday (July 25). After information about the size of the rock was released, it was then realized that this asteroid wasn’t among the ones they were tracking and it had remained undetected until it had passed by.

"2019 OK (so far)," indeed.

Statistically speaking, it likely woulda hit the ocean.  And most of the ocean would not be prone to a tsunami I think?  So there's a very good chance all we woulda got out of it is some cool Snapchats.

I’m pretty sure that any ocean it hit would have experienced a very large tsunami.

no tsunamis.  this rock would have yielded 10 megatons.

the first hydrogen device, Castle Bravo, yielded 15 megatons.  no tsunamis.

the tsunami would be a minor problem in comparison to the blast wave and atmospheric disruption from something large enough to create a tsunami on impact.

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

... it came within 73,000 kilometres of the earth as reported by NASA. For comparison, the moon is over 5 times that distance at approximately 380,000 kilometres away so that’s relatively close even though it seems like a large number.

What is this "kilometres" Euroweenie shit?  Hope the next one wipes out users of the metric system and that bad-toothed British spelling.  And for fuck's sake, get on the right side of the road!

• Like 4

Dear Asteroid,

I know it's hard for you to plan and aim, since you're in space and all. But if you could land near College Station on or around October 12th, that would be great. If it doesn't work, consider around that same time in 2020, but this time in Tuscaloosa.

Sincererly,
The Rest of the College Football World (And Humanity)

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

Just a city-killer; no big deal.

https://instantweather.ca/2019/07/28/XyPiJ3--city-killer-asteroid-with-the-power-of-a-nuclear-bomb-came-uncomfortably-close-to-earth-this-week-and-nobody-saw-it-coming/?fbclid=IwAR2_KUp1Wmm8jrx5DmYfbZ2f9pRXL2iNcGd0H_0aEYT4Xn0Iyso4U8g5mB8

And now scientists have revealed that they have discovered an asteroid named Asteroid 2019 OK earlier this week and only figured out the magnitude of it just hours before it came within 73,000 kilometres of the earth as reported by NASA. For comparison, the moon is over 5 times that distance at approximately 380,000 kilometres away so that’s relatively close even though it seems like a large number.

According to The Washington Post, it was already expected that a few asteroids would pass by earth this week and pose no threat. So, for most scientists, it didn’t raise any alarm bells when reports began flowing in about an asteroid that brushed by the earth on Thursday (July 25). After information about the size of the rock was released, it was then realized that this asteroid wasn’t among the ones they were tracking and it had remained undetected until it had passed by.

"2019 OK (so far)," indeed.

r/maybemaybemaybe

Damn! That video makes it look pretty fucking scary. Even more so realizing nobody had any idea it was coming.

Question for the experts: If we had satellites in orbit way out towards the latter planets in our system to detect these things, would they be capable of alerting us ahead of time? And if so, by how much? For argument’s sake, let’s say you would need 24 hours to evacuate a city. How far out would that satellite need to be to relay the signal, allow for whatever length of time needed to do the math, and issue a warning in time?

Damn! That video makes it look pretty fucking scary. Even more so realizing nobody had any idea it was coming.

Question for the experts: If we had satellites in orbit way out towards the latter planets in our system to detect these things, would they be capable of alerting us ahead of time? And if so, by how much? For argument’s sake, let’s say you would need 24 hours to evacuate a city. How far out would that satellite need to be to relay the signal, allow for whatever length of time needed to do the math, and issue a warning in time?

My guess is we'd need a PILE of satellites to see all that space. And if we did see one coming, it'd be tough to accurately predict where it'd hit.

18 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Unless there was a way to accurately predict when and where it would hit and be able to evacuate that area, I'd rather not know it was coming.

Yeah, I'm still not getting laid even IF we were to get warned by NASA that a massive Earth killer was on it's way.

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Inside the moon's orbit is pretty damn close.  Say that bitch hit the moon and set it off orbit by 1/100th of 1 degree.  That shit would mess our weather/climate up pretty bad   

That's my point exactly. Seems like it was  pretty fucking close to me. 

Unless there was a way to accurately predict when and where it would hit and be able to evacuate that area, I'd rather not know it was coming.

Are you an expert? Because these are the types of answers I’m curious about. If we had a satellite in deep space that detected an asteroid, could it a) relay the info to us quick enough, b) could we do maths well enough to determine where it would hit, and c) have enough time left to evacuate a city.

Just now, SquishMitten said:

Are you an expert? Because these are the types of answers I’m curious about. If we had a satellite in deep space that detected an asteroid, could it a) relay the info to us quick enough, b) could we do maths well enough to determine where it would hit, and c) have enough time left to evacuate a city.

One satelite watching all of space ?

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

You'd likely have some field of monitor/vision problems with deep space satellites that you're speaking of.  If it's not in that field that has some sort of consistent monitor with a spacial reference, it wouldn't be able to decipher true trajectory.  

14 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I thought everyone on here was an expert.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, SquishMitten said:

My thing is they were tracking a bunch of asteroids...but NOT a big one that was "relatively close"