Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

be that as it may, we did what we were supposed to do then.  we beat a shit team by 30+ points behind two kids that Herman underused/didn't use all season.  if Sam hadn't gotten hurt, what's the final score?  do we win by 32?  i highly doubt it.  

as has been stated, last night was an indictment of Herman's ineptitude.  he "lucked" into a blowout bowl win because his starting QB got hurt, so he put the backup in, simplified things, and we lit Colorado up.  same fucking thing in last year's bowl game.  Orlando is no longer DC, so have to simplify the defense under interim DC Naivar.  and boom, we stuff the shit out of Utah.

Herman gets in his own way time after time after time trying to Mensa shit up.  it's time, buddy.

All of this.

2 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

The Colorado win means nothing. Herman has his strengths, and one of them is winning bowl games. We know that. But he also has severe weaknesses, such as

1) not being able to compete with OU,

2) not getting to the Big 12 championship game,

3) inexplicably losing routine conference games,

4) playing weaker teams waaaay too close,

5) letting out of state programs pillage our state in recruiting, and

6) not even being part of the national/playoff discussion.

Beating a 4-win Colorado team with a month to prepare does nothing to fix the problems facing this program.

It absolutely DID tell us something.  That, when the coaches got out of the way, the talent of this team is enough to destroy lesser programs.  Maybe someone needed to see that and realize the coaching was holding them back.

• Hook 'Em 3

Urban certainly would not throw 3 straight times with a lead late in the game, punt and watch the other team score the winning td with seconds left on the clock. Urban would be closer to giving Bijan 80 carries in a game thann80 carries in a season. 

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yeah this 6-3 team could/should have easily been 5-4 or 4-5. With THAT talent and a senior 'Heisman watch' qb (snicker), in a really bad year for the Big 12, with a terrible OU sucks. Anyone who thinks TH should be retained should have zero input.

agreed but we also could have been 9-0 if everything went our way(which it didn't and never does).   We are what our record says we are and what Mensa is.  He is an above average P5 coach.  If that is what we want keep him and drive the train into the ditch.

Change has to be made after this season. The last decade of Texas football has been mediocre at best. Yes we’ve won bowl games and even a Sugar Bowl, but every season/year has seen two-three games that were WTF loses - within conference. Charlie had his Cal games and Herman has Maryland for out of conference examples.

Last night, with less games played this year, did break the streak of 4 or more losses in a season. I think that the streak had grown to 10 YEARS! I’m tired of the Horns being mediocre.

Although I enjoyed watching the Horns play last night and in person, I want them in playoffs or at least bigger and better bowls. We need to leave the Alamo Bowl alone for a while!

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

There's a bunch of other threads to talk about the tom herman suckage and era coming to an end. This thread is to talk about how excited Urban Meyer will be to coach Casey Thompson and Bijan Robinson next season. 

Well, this thread is about a lot of things...

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agreed but we also could have been 9-0 if everything went our way(which it didn't and never does).   We are what our record says we are and what Mensa is.  He is an above average P5 coach.  If that is what we want keep him and drive the train into the ditch.

Herman right now is not an above average P5 coach at all. He’s routinely out coached and underperforms with the talent he has. He’s average at best. He might get better in the future if he’s willing to ever take responsibility for his failures, but he hasn’t shown the ability to do that at Texas in 4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Herman right now is not an above average P5 coach at all. He’s routinely out coached and underperforms with the talent he has. He’s average at best. He might get better in the future if he’s willing to ever take responsibility for his failures, but he hasn’t shown the ability to do that at Texas in 4 years. 

Average may be a stretch.  The recruiting gap between TEX/OU and the rest of the big12 is huge.  Imagine Herman at another p5 program where he doesn't get that advantage.

6 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Change has to be made after this season. The last decade of Texas football has been mediocre at best. Yes we’ve won bowl games and even a Sugar Bowl, but every season/year has seen two-three games that were WTF loses - within conference. Charlie had his Cal games and Herman has Maryland for out of conference examples.

Last night, with less games played this year, did break the streak of 4 or more losses in a season. I think that the streak had grown to 10 YEARS! I’m tired of the Horns being mediocre.

Although I enjoyed watching the Horns play last night and in person, I want them in playoffs or at least bigger and better bowls. We need to leave the Alamo Bowl alone for a while!

I(and probably others) might be a bit more patient with Herman if we hadn't had the  3year, worst coach of all time, Charlie debacle.  CDC signed up for the gig and its his job to fix it and Urban Meyer is acting like he wants to coach again.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I(and probably others) might be a bit more patient with Herman if we hadn't had the  3year, worst coach of all time, Charlie debacle.  CDC signed up for the gig and its his job to fix it and Urban Meyer is acting like he wants to coach again.

I don’t think Charlie has anything to do with it. I want Herman gone because he hasn’t learned a single lesson in his four years here. There are no signs of coaching improvement at all, just a more talented roster.

He was forced to make assistant changes. He’s making the some stupid game management decisions, he has no clue what to do with his OL or how to identify a good OL coach, he continually fails to fit his schemes to his personnel, and he runs the same exact stuff over and regardless of whether our team can run it or the defense’s weaknesses. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Average may be a stretch.  The recruiting gap between TEX/OU and the rest of the big12 is huge.  Imagine Herman at another p5 program where he doesn't get that advantage.

I want Herman gone as much as anyone but the guy is at least average to above average IMO.  Hopefully CDC isn't looking for average to above average and we aren't deciding to be Cal.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He was forced to make assistant changes. He’s making the some stupid game management decisions, he has no clue what to do with his OL or how to identify a good OL coach, he continually fails to fit his schemes to his personnel, and he runs the same exact stuff over and regardless of whether our team can run it or the defense’s weaknesses. 

Pay him.  Pay that man his money.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Colorado was small and slow and horribly overmatched.  That was a fun game/win but that was a shitty fucking opponent who if they had played a full regular season would have likely not have rated even an Alamo Bowl appearance.

They had a 6 point when over a shitty UCLA team

A 3 point win over a Stanford team that I guarantee you was playing against the will of the entire leadership of the school and this was their most "impressive" win)

10 point win over SDSU 

11 point win over Rumlin

Got killed by Utah

Correct.

We got the Alamo when SC said no to a bowl game.

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't know. I feel like his underdog style lends itself to a pretty robust 7-5/8-4 record. He and/or his staff evaluates recruits pretty well and he'd win a few he shouldn't and lose a few he shouldn't at a less talented program. Some bottom tier p5 school would probably be a good match.

If you give Herman 10-3 this season (which is obviously purely hypothetical and I'm sure the bowl matchup would have been different) he would have been 28-12 over the past 3 seasons. Which is marginally better than Mack's 25-14 - and Mack had much less talent on the field (obviously through no fault of his own - but still underlies why Herman needs to go).
With the shortened season this year Herman is 25-12 to Mack's 25-14. Both had one win against OU. If you thought Mack should go after 2013 then it's pretty fucking hypocritical to try and wishcast Herman back for 2021 (not accusing you of this - just putting it out there because there are A LOT of people it applies to).

Does anyone want Herman back though? There’s a difference between being skeptical he’ll get fired and not wanting him to.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Harvdog said:

What I saw last night that impressed me was the OL.  We had 4 Freshman and a Junior starting.  Christian Jones is getting better.  Karic was solid.  Majors will be a starter from here on out.  Tyler Johnson looked good.  The next OL coach is walking into some talent.  

That's the key.  No one believes these players will develop otherwise.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Urban certainly would not throw 3 straight times with a lead late in the game, punt and watch the other team score the winning td with seconds left on the clock. Urban would be closer to giving Bijan 80 carries in a game thann80 carries in a season. 

bijan will be his Zeke

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Does anyone want Herman back though?

There are people on this board that want Herman back. Not sure they are comfortable penning it but they do. 

You think there aren't people outside of Surly that think we should keep Herman? Go scroll through Twitter for a little bit.

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There are people on this board that want Herman back. Not sure they are comfortable penning it but they do. 

You think there aren't people outside of Surly that think we should keep Herman? Go scroll through Twitter for a little bit.

My neighbor was talking about how excited he is to see Herman open up the offense with Casey next year. I'm thinking about moving now

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1