Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

37 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:
2 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:
Do you think Rebel Without A Cause is some kind of niche/indie movie? Serious question

You kidding? I can't get kids to sit and watch Bad News Bears or the cinematic innovations of the old Clash of the Titans. What makes you think they know James Dean?

Is that the guy that makes sausage?

37 minutes ago, jinx said:

I make it a habit to try to ignore Finebaum completely, but I have to agree with him on this.  I think that the article by Thamel or whoever saying he was going to the NFL, with the main argument being that he wouldn't like college anymore because it is becoming like the NFL, was about the dumbest thing I have read.  And there has been plenty of dumb things written about Urban.  I mean, when your basis is that he won't have as much control over personnel and control of the program as he was used to, so he is just going to go NFL where he has NO control over anything except coaching.  That is a stupid argument. 

Sure, he may end up in the NFL, but it will be a very bad fit and he won't be there long before his health issues start screaming back.  I think if he is coaching again, it will be in college. 

I hope all of you optimistic fuckers are right, and this is just an elaborate smoke screen to buy time until next weekend.  If we are still looking at the same situation next Monday, Texas Football will be as dead to me as Texas Basketball.

I'm wrong as often as the next guy, but I disagree about Urban's likelihood of success in the NFL.

I think the best thing Urban does as a coach is to manage the psyche of his team and coaching staff.  He's a great X's and O's guy, but there's a thousand of those guys.  

Some of the greatest coaches in sports history have done precisely that.  

I think Urban would have little trouble winning the trust of an NFL squad and getting them where they needed to be mentally to max out their potential.  He's a natural leader, and far from being a bad fit, I think he'd be a huge success.

47 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:
2 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:
Do you think Rebel Without A Cause is some kind of niche/indie movie? Serious question

You kidding? I can't get kids to sit and watch Bad News Bears or the cinematic innovations of the old Clash of the Titans. What makes you think they know James Dean?

Brennan Eagles should know James Dean.

Edited by clapclapclap
Sock hop, soda pop, basketball and auto shop The only thing that got you off was breakin' all the rules

10 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I'm wrong as often as the next guy, but I disagree about Urban's likelihood of success in the NFL.

I think the best thing Urban does as a coach is to manage the psyche of his team and coaching staff.  He's a great X's and O's guy, but there's a thousand of those guys.  

Some of the greatest coaches in sports history have done precisely that.  

I think Urban would have little trouble winning the trust of an NFL squad and getting them where they needed to be mentally to max out their potential.  He's a natural leader, and far from being a bad fit, I think he'd be a huge success.

Just like Saban?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, jinx said:

Just like Saban?

I'd take Urban over Saban every time.

Compare Saban at Mich State to Urban at Utah, for example.  

In any event, those 2 guys are nothing alike.

But if anyone mentions Saban or Spurrier, just mention Jimmy Johnson or Pete Carroll.

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

But if anyone mentions Saban or Spurrier, just mention Jimmy Johnson or Pete Carroll.

Pete Carroll was a massive failure his first go round in the NFL.  It was only with the experience of having failed once and getting a second chance that he succeeded.

17 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Jimmy was a full decade younger and had no prior health issues.  Pete had spent more time in the NFL than college.  I find it hard to compare Urban to either of those situations.  He is supposedly calling people to find out what front offices are like in the NFL.  People like Jimmy Johnson, if you believe the rumors.  

I'm prepared to be wrong if he takes an NFL job and smashes it out of the park.  But I think you have listed the only 2 I can think of that have a successful history in both leagues.  Others were spectacular failures.  I can't see a medically limited Meyer going to the league nearing 60 and just figuring it all out.  He is facing a huge learning curve there.  He would be much better served taking a blue print that has worked for him at two football schools and running it at a third.

And comparing Michigan State to Utah is like comparing A&M to UH.  

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The deal is done. It's been done since back around Thanksgiving. Part of the deal is that Urban gets an Assistant AD for Football, to insulate him and be a go-between with the AD. Urban is in charge, including the timing and situation of the Announcement. It is coming, and it will be everything we hoped for. We can speculate why Urban is doing it this way, and what are the elements driving the timing, but it won't do any good, other than giving us all our pleasures of social intercourse.  

believe GIF by The Opposition w/ Jordan Klepper

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s consistently called for Casey to start over Sam so I thought it was hilarious he’s now shitting on Thompson once he could be the starter. All I had to do was search for  Casey with him as the author and the results were fucking hilarious.  The black QB thing was just icing on the Charlie Strong-baked cake that is 6th Street’s posting history. 

Obsession noted

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The deal is done. It's been done since back around Thanksgiving. Part of the deal is that Urban gets an Assistant AD for Football, to insulate him and be a go-between with the AD. Urban is in charge, including the timing and situation of the Announcement. It is coming, and it will be everything we hoped for. We can speculate why Urban is doing it this way, and what are the elements driving the timing, but it won't do any good, other than giving us all our pleasures of social intercourse.  

I'd like to believe you but the stories about Meyer to the NFL and UT's alternate candidates lead me to believe it definitely hasn't happened and probably won't.

With all do respect or course. 

Edited by JOSEYWALES66
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, jinx said:

Jimmy was a full decade younger and had no prior health issues.  Pete had spent more time in the NFL than college.  I find it hard to compare Urban to either of those situations.  He is supposedly calling people to find out what front offices are like in the NFL.  People like Jimmy Johnson, if you believe the rumors.  

I'm prepared to be wrong if he takes an NFL job and smashes it out of the park.  But I think you have listed the only 2 I can think of that have a successful history in both leagues.  Others were spectacular failures.  I can't see a medically limited Meyer going to the league nearing 60 and just figuring it all out.  He is facing a huge learning curve there.  He would be much better served taking a blue print that has worked for him at two football schools and running it at a third.

And comparing Michigan State to Utah is like comparing A&M to UH.  

You might be right and I may be dead wrong.  My perception of Urban is that the thing that makes him great has a lot less to do with X's and O's, as I said, and much more to do with the mental aspect of the game, which is why I think he'd do fine with all those egos in an NFL locker room.  

It's true that "others were spectacular failures," as you mentioned.  But that doesn't differentiate them from a ton of (maybe even most?) NFL coaches.

I've never had cause to research this, but I'd wager most NFL coaches get fired, and many of them have performed no better than Saban or Spurrier did.

This is all probably pointless, though.  I'd be really shocked if he took an NFL job, though I badly wanted JJ to hire him instead of McCarthy.

Edited by Augustus

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Did you mean discourse?

Or were you thinking?

Sex intercourse gif black and white

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Now this is BDE!  I hope you are right, and in a lot of ways this is the only thing that makes sense.  That or Texas fucking everything up again.  I'm holding on to your version until Jan 2nd or so.

Edit:  If you are right, and Urban has been the one insisting on the smoke screen and timing, that is even better.

Edited by jinx
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

If I am reading that correctly, we are waiting until Meyer decides whether he wants to coach at Texas or play in the Senior Bowl...

Obviously that note was in regards to Sam, just wanted to include the last question about timeline

40 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

image.gif.1b1a41d300b55f3c9aa9df9eaaba8b65.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BachelorTrek said:

I call BS. Have you forgotten? Switzer did it with Jimmy's players!
No triplets = No trophy!

Agreed ...that no good, cheatin’, leave my gun in my carry-on at the airport moron couldn’t have done squat in the NFL if Jimmy didn’t leave him a stacked roster.  He wanted to be everyone’s buddy instead of a leader/coach.  A drunk chimpanzee would have had more control over a team and won a SuperBowl with that roster in year one.  (Fuck Jerrah/Al Davis 2.0 and his ego for putting the Cowboys in NFL purgatory)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Agreed ...that no good, cheatin’, leave my gun in my carry-on at the airport moron couldn’t have done squat in the NFL if Jimmy didn’t leave him a stacked roster.  He wanted to be everyone’s buddy instead of a leader/coach.  A drunk chimpanzee would have had more control over a team and won a SuperBowl with that roster in year one.  (Fuck Jerrah/Al Davis 2.0 and his ego for putting the Cowboys in NFL purgatory)

You forgot all the, "I've never sent spies to all of Coach Royal's practices!" lies, and then admitted afterwards, as he laughed about it, that he did exactly that. 
Fuck that piece of human-debris Switzer!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

is there any specific reason we should believe you here?