Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

People who bring dogs to the stores are the worst. Very rarely is it a legit service dog for someone in need.

I see ads every day for companies that will give you a letter from a doctor saying your dog/cat/pig, whatever is a service animal so you can take it into any store or restaurant, on a plane, and can have it in any housing situation regardless of their regulations. Just answer like 3 questions online, no training of the animal required. Makes me ragey because it gives a shit name to actual, trained service animals.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

I see ads every day for companies that will give you a letter from a doctor saying your dog/cat/pig, whatever is a service animal so you can take it into any store or restaurant, on a plane, and can have it in any housing situation regardless of their regulations. Just answer like 3 questions online, no training of the animal required. Makes me ragey because it gives a shit name to actual, trained service animals.

My understanding (at least for WA) is that stores can ask what kind of service the animal provides, and act accordingly. "Emotional support" isn't a recognized 'service' (the way that seeing eye dog and such are), and doesn't have to be accommodated in a store/restaurant/massage parlor. "Emotional support" animals are only protected under the Fair Housing Act. 

24 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

My understanding (at least for WA) is that stores can ask what kind of service the animal provides, and act accordingly. "Emotional support" isn't a recognized 'service' (the way that seeing eye dog and such are), and doesn't have to be accommodated in a store/restaurant/massage parlor. "Emotional support" animals are only protected under the Fair Housing Act. 

But it's one of those things where the risk likely isn't worth the reward. Making a wrongful accusation has a high risk of blowing up and going viral, and even if it's a valid challenge, there's still a frightening potential for the business to end up looking like shitheads regardless. 

It's like confronting an apparently able-bodied person using a handicapped parking spot. Sure, you might have caught an asshole in flagrante delicto, but you might also be the asshole for calling bullshit on someone with a legitimate medical need. And either way, unless you're handicapped and need the spot yourself, it's kind none of your business anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s been brought up about tree fiddy times, but fuck you if you think you own the road and left lane specifically. If I’m driving and clearly passing the cars on the right of me there’s no need to get so close you can touch my asshole. I 10000% percent agree if you aren’t passing get over. However, use your brain for half a second and give me time to get out of your way at my pace. Not yours.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

We went skiing this past weekend and... first of all, if you're not wearing a helmet on the slopes, you're a fucking idiot.

Second. I took a tumble, slid about 10',  and now have whiplash. My neck has full range of motion, but it's a little tender. It now hurts more than my knees which have been fucked up for over a year now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

We went skiing this past weekend and... first of all, if you're not wearing a helmet on the slopes, you're a fucking idiot.

Second. I took a tumble, slid about 10',  and now have whiplash. My neck has full range of motion, but it's a little tender. It now hurts more than my knees which have been fucked up for over a year now.

Sounds like a fun trip. 

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

Are helmets on the slope really a thing now?  I haven’t been skiing in about 20 years and it sure was t a thing back then.  Last time I went skiing I got blond sided by a kid screaming down the slope on a snowboard.  I spent the rest of the day in the bar drinking coffee with a shot of bourbon.  That finally made my body quit aching.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superhero said:

I thought Superheroes on got hurt by stuff like kryptonite or something fancy made by a diabolical mad man?

Only morons don’t wear helmets now. You might see 1 out of 100 or 200 not wearing one.

I’m with NMAS. Haven’t been in forever, grew up 4 hours from the Mew Mexico slopes and went many a Friday night after the bar closed with whatever ladies we could pick up. Never saw anyone ski with a helmet that wasn’t on the Olympics.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Only morons don’t wear helmets now. You might see 1 out of 100 or 200 not wearing one.

Actually a higher percentage of people weren't wearing helmets. But this is SoCal where extreme sports probably started.

Helmets weren't really a thing until a few years ago, and I only got mine last year. Thankfully I had it because I hit my head pretty hard and would have ended up in the hospital with a concussion.

I'm preaching it like the gospel. Wear a freaking helmet if you're going on the slopes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Are helmets on the slope really a thing now?  I haven’t been skiing in about 20 years and it sure was t a thing back then.  Last time I went skiing I got blond sided by a kid screaming down the slope on a snowboard.  I spent the rest of the day in the bar drinking coffee with a shot of bourbon.  That finally made my body quit aching.

In the Rockies even just 10 years ago, helmets seemed like a 50% thing, and mostly on snowboarders 

Kinda crazy how fast the trend turned

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yeah, quit skiing/boarding about 20 years ago b/c of my hip.  Up until then, probably went 30xs and never wore or recall even seeing helmets.  Then started seeing friends' posts from resorts and errrbody is looking like an olympic down-hiller. 

On 12/23/2022 at 4:31 PM, BearMace said:

Having to fish a drawstring back through some pants is making me quite surly. 

Do you own a bodkin? The type I'm talking about looks like this and it's what I use on our family's drawstrings. It makes the task a little easier than the way I learned with a safety pin. You clip the two tongs to one end of the string and then slide the loop down to tighten. Using the blunt end at the top, thread through the hole and push through the waistband 'tunnel' while scrunching up the fabric until the other open hole is reached. You can find them in most sewing notions areas at stores or on the web.

5 Pcs Bodkin Elastic Strap Rope Easy to Insert Sewing Accessories Tool ...

On 12/23/2022 at 4:08 PM, Fudbelty said:

It’s been brought up about tree fiddy times, but fuck you if you think you own the road and left lane specifically. If I’m driving and clearly passing the cars on the right of me there’s no need to get so close you can touch my asshole. I 10000% percent agree if you aren’t passing get over. However, use your brain for half a second and give me time to get out of your way at my pace. Not yours.

No kidding. We have been shuttling folks back and forth to to airports this week and while hanging out in the right lane (two lane divided highway) watched someone being subjected to the behavior you described. It was dark and a souped up muscley type car was vibrating it was so impatient to haul on down the road. In a rare case of karma, once the other car was able to move over, the left lane asshole floored it and disappeared...only to reappear a little while later along the side of the road courtesy of a DPS trooper. Bazinga!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Wearing a helmet on the slopes is just good fucking sense. TBI is not a gotdamn joke. Wear a helmet and maybe you look dorky (like everyone else). But there is nothing cool about shitting in diapers. 

It’s like seatbelts and bike helmets for kids— it’s amazing we ever thought not doing it was OK. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 4:08 PM, Fudbelty said:

I remember my sister in law telling me when she had to take a driving course to drive in Germany that they taught people to think of everyone as ~"driving partners" oppose to other drivers.  Everyone is driving somewhere different at different speeds with different priorities.  No need to dictate how fast anyone else should drive or have to drive but if you can be aware of what others are trying to do and everyone tries to help facilitate that, everyone is better off.

Hard to replicate the situation you're referring to, but clearly were driving slower than the other guy.  If you took a second to slow down, move over let him pass and then resume your passing, maybe that would have been better?  Too many variables to account for in a message board past and it's very possible/probable that the other guys was totally in the wrong but there is a possibility you contributed as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, pied06 said:

I remember my sister in law telling me when she had to take a driving course to drive in Germany that they taught people to think of everyone as ~"driving partners" oppose to other drivers.  Everyone is driving somewhere different at different speeds with different priorities.  No need to dictate how fast anyone else should drive or have to drive but if you can be aware of what others are trying to do and everyone tries to help facilitate that, everyone is better off.

Hard to replicate the situation you're referring to, but clearly were driving slower than the other guy.  If you took a second to slow down, move over let him pass and then resume your passing, maybe that would have been better?  Too many variables to account for in a message board past and it's very possible/probable that the other guys was totally in the wrong but there is a possibility you contributed as well.

Tailgating is asshole behavior, even if the other person is “wrong” you’re doing something dangerous and escalating the situation. Flash the lights a few times and if the message doesn’t compute, work on your own blood pressure and not the other driver. It’s the flip side to assholes who appoint themselves traffic cop and squat in the passing lane at the speed limit. 

Getting in the car, the only priority is to get to the destination safely and without damaging your ride. Once that light goes off, it’s transformative to your commute. It makes you not just a safer driver, you miraculously encounter fewer assholes (because you’re being courteous and avoiding conflict). The ones you do encounter, you get over quicker because it doesn’t make a shit to you if they drive like a dick as long as you get some distance from them. Some people never have that light go off. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Hard to replicate the situation you're referring to, but clearly were driving slower than the other guy.  If you took a second to slow down, move over let him pass and then resume your passing, maybe that would have been better?

He said he’d move over, just not do it at a breakneck speed to match the tailgater. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Grammar isn’t a fucking game

1 hour ago, pied06 said:

If you took a second to slow down, move over let him pass and then resume your passing, maybe that would have been better?

Better for whom? Why should I slow down for them? Let them slow down for me. If I’m driving 70 in a 65 mph zone and passing slower traffic on the right, I’m not slowing down and getting over for someone who comes racing up behind me at 90 just to let them pass. And what makes you think there’s going to be room to get over without cutting off someone else? How would that be “better?”

I’ll get over when I’ve passed the slower traffic. They don’t get to dictate to me how I should drive. If it adds 60 seconds to their drive time then that’s just too tucking bad. I’m on cruise control, I’m following the rules, I’ll get over when proper procedure dictates, then they can be on their merry way. That would be best. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

He said he’d move over, just not do it at a breakneck speed to match the tailgater. 

Breakneck speed is a relative term imo. 

Speaking a little in general.  Without seeing what the rest of the traffic pattern is, how many cars, average speed, etc. it's almost impossible for me to say one or the other is at fault or who should slow down.  For some 70 in a 65 is breakneck and for others it's higher.

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Better for whom? Why should I slow down for them? Let them slow down for me. If I’m driving 70 in a 65 mph zone and passing slower traffic on the right, I’m not slowing down and getting over for someone who comes racing up behind me at 90 just to let them pass. And what makes you think there’s going to be room to get over without cutting off someone else? How would that be “better?”

I’ll get over when I’ve passed the slower traffic. They don’t get to dictate to me how I should drive. If it adds 60 seconds to their drive time then that’s just too tucking bad. I’m on cruise control, I’m following the rules, I’ll get over when proper procedure dictates, then they can be on their merry way. That would be best. 

I think you're kinda proving my point.  You said what YOU'RE going to do seven times in that short response, because you feel you're right.  Experience tells me everyone thinks they're right when it comes to driving.  

To @956 Worldwide point, getting you and your vehicle to the destination safely should be your priority.  Sometimes letting a faster, perhaps unsafe driver go ahead is the safest bet for you, opposed to enforcing your what you think a safe speed is on the other guy.

Better for everyone imo.  In your example, you say you're going 5mph over the speed limit, but later sat you're "following the rules".  Well technically you're not, you are speeding, just not as fast as the other guy.

Just using your example an numbers, it is entirely possible for you to slow down slightly to 65, merging over, letting the 80 mph guy go through, and then move back over.  

1 minute ago, pied06 said:

I think you're kinda proving my point.  You said what YOU'RE going to do seven times in that short response, because you feel you're right.  Experience tells me everyone thinks they're right when it comes to driving.  

To @956 Worldwide point, getting you and your vehicle to the destination safely should be your priority.  Sometimes letting a faster, perhaps unsafe driver go ahead is the safest bet for you, opposed to enforcing your what you think a safe speed is on the other guy.

Better for everyone imo.  In your example, you say you're going 5mph over the speed limit, but later sat you're "following the rules".  Well technically you're not, you are speeding, just not as fast as the other guy.

Just using your example an numbers, it is entirely possible for you to slow down slightly to 65, merging over, letting the 80 mph guy go through, and then move back over.  

I absolutely agree with you, and didn’t give an example where I enforce the rules. In fact, I said that tailgating is the flip side to assholes who squat in the left lane and act like self-appointed traffic cops.  I will pull over for a faster driver, even a tailgater as soon as it’s safe to do so, it’s part of my “get away from assholes” philosophy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Tailgating is asshole behavior, even if the other person is “wrong” you’re doing something dangerous and escalating the situation. Flash the lights a few times and if the message doesn’t compute, work on your own blood pressure and not the other driver. It’s the flip side to assholes who appoint themselves traffic cop and squat in the passing lane at the speed limit. 

Getting in the car, the only priority is to get to the destination safely and without damaging your ride. Once that light goes off, it’s transformative to your commute. It makes you not just a safer driver, you miraculously encounter fewer assholes (because you’re being courteous and avoiding conflict). The ones you do encounter, you get over quicker because it doesn’t make a shit to you if they drive like a dick as long as you get some distance from them. Some people never have that light go off. 

Don't disagree and am not advocating for, or dismissing tailgating as a a valid thing to do.  I think avoiding it can be best though.  

If I'm driving 70 and passing someone doing 65 and I see an emergency vehicle (cop/ambulance) coming behind fast, I'm either speeding up to complete the pass quickly to get out of the way, or slowing to 65 and moving over then.  I certainly wouldn't wait until I'm ready to get over, and would be breaking the law if I did so. All I'm saying is that in many circumstances, I can apply the same logic even if I think the guy is a jerk and driving too fast.  

7 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Breakneck speed is a relative term imo. 

Speaking a little in general.  Without seeing what the rest of the traffic pattern is, how many cars, average speed, etc. it's almost impossible for me to say one or the other is at fault or who should slow down.  For some 70 in a 65 is breakneck and for others it's higher.

You’re right, breakneck is a relative term. Going 70 on a residential street is breakneck, but not on a freeway… unless you’re going 70 on the shoulder during slow rush hour traffic. In the scenario described, I’d always bet that someone driving aggressively enough to draft like it’s NASCAR is probably going closer to 90 than, say, 80. I’d still call that breakneck speed although I might choose another description. 

Just now, ImissWallyPryor said:

You’re right, breakneck is a relative term. Going 70 on a residential street is breakneck, but not on a freeway… unless you’re going 70 on the shoulder during slow rush hour traffic. In the scenario described, I’d always bet that someone driving aggressively enough to draft like it’s NASCAR is probably going closer to 90 than, say, 80. I’d still call that breakneck speed although I might choose another description. 

There is a strong correlation between tailgaters and people who are trying to be the fastest dickhead on the freeway. Most people who come up on a car going a bit slower than them in the fast lane can resolve the issue without driving up the other driver’s asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1