Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

59 minutes ago, elguapo said:

He's not a big fan of sharks

i was watching that and thinking about him being the leader of a cult, like what were the people sitting there that adore him thinking while he was riffing on sharks, and i suddenly had an image of Colonel Kurtz speaking the same and it made me giggle.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Hey dude, just curious:  were these "friend's friends" white or Asian folk?  

If the Asians are this stupid, we're really fucked.  

Wypipo who live in Florida.

But I do have an asian friend who thinks Trump deserves the Nobel Peace Prize by brokering peace between Israel and UAE. He also thinks covid is a hoax, sensationalized by the media to make Trump look bad.

Every fact that you throw out there is refuted by "well, where did that come from?" and "I don't trust the media, they're crooked". 

🙄

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's truly bizarre when you take a step back and realize what has happened.  Why are so many people in this country fundamentally broken?  This guy couldn't be a more obvious conman if he tried and they just merrily dance to his tune like the Pied Piper.  

We're a nation of idiots who can't tell the difference between reality and reality tv. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know he's POTUS, but why is it so damned easy to petition the Supreme Court?

I mean, I'm no attorney, but it's an appeals court, right?  Can I call up Ruth the way he calls up Neil and Brett?  Do I need an appointment?

It's a Petition for Writ of Certiorari - any party to a federal appellate decision can file one at the SCOTUS.  Because he's the POTUS, his petiiton has a better chance of success (meaning that the case will actually be heard) than a typical one, but it's no guarantee.  

You send it in, saying "hey court, you should take this case."  The court then decides whether to take it.  There's nothing particularly sinister about it (except for the fact that Trump actually thinks he owns Gorsuch's and Kav's votes....and he might be right about Kav).

• Hook 'Em 1

“I know another one named Ernie...”

the fuck you do, you jagoff POS. honestly, that’s when me and my dumbass friends some 35 years ago would look at each other with the “fucker is completely full of shit” look and walk away.

then we’d do a bunch of acid, hook up the Alumicraft to the truck, grab a case of Stroh’s from the corner store with a wink and nod given we were 18, and go froggin’ on Taylor’s and Hildebrandt bayous.

And smash frog legs and leftover Strohs for supper the next night.

• Hook 'Em 1

After President Donald Trump announced that he was pardoning Susan B. Anthony, a move tied to the centennial of women’s suffrage, he got a rebuke from an unexpected source: The museum named in her honor.

The National Susan B. Anthony Museum & House declined his pardon, for a 1873 conviction for voting illegally the year before, in a statement that took indirect aim at present-day restrictions on voting rights. The president issued the clemency on Tuesday.

In a statement, the museum’s president and CEO, Deborah L. Hughes, said, “Anthony wrote in her diary in 1873 that her trial for voting was ‘The greatest outrage History ever witnessed.”  She was not allowed to speak as a witness in her own defense, because she was a woman. At the conclusion of arguments, Judge Hunt dismissed the jury and pronounced her guilty.  She was outraged to be denied a trial by jury. She proclaimed, ‘I shall never pay a dollar of your unjust penalty.’ To pay would have been to validate the proceedings. To pardon Susan B. Anthony does the same.”

Hughes added that a more fitting honor would be “a clear stance against any form of voter suppression would be welcome.

“Enforcement and expansion of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 would be celebrated, we must assure that states respect the 14th, 15th, and 19th Amendments to the United States Constitution,” Hughes said. “Support for the Equal Rights Amendment would be well received. Advocacy for human rights for all would be splendid. Anthony was also a strong proponent of sex education, fair labor practices, excellent public education, equal pay for equal work, and elimination of all forms of discrimination.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Most appeals are of right.  That is, anyone, from the lowest to the highest, can appeal from the district or trial court to the regional court of appeals, in the federal system, and similarly in the state system.

The appeal to the highest court, in both the federal system and Texas' system, is discretionary.  Meaning the court takes it if it wants to, usually because it feels that it is an important issue that needs resolution; or provides a needed development in the law; or where there is disagreement among the lower courts as to how a law should work or be applied.

Petitions for writ of certiorari may be filed by anyone and are considered in a certiorari conference by the nine justices.  Four have to vote in favor of taking the case to grant certiorari and set it for briefing and argument.  Occasionally, after briefing, the justices decide they were wrong and it's not a good or important case.  It can then be dismissed as "certiorari improvidently granted."

Rule 10 of the Supreme Court Rules governs the considerations in grant or denial of cert.  https://www.supremecourt.gov/ctrules/2019RulesoftheCourt.pdf

Any time the government petitions for certiorari, the odds are higher that it will be granted because the questions presented are more likely to fit the criteria of importance.  Because the President himself constitutes an entire branch of government, his petitions are more likely to be granted than mine, brisket's, or jimmyjazz's.

I can see this one being granted because it's a kind of novel application of the First Amendment to social media and could become a recurring issue with elected and appointed officials lower than the President.

Edited by TwiceHorn

34 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Wypipo who live in Florida.

But I do have an asian friend who thinks Trump deserves the Nobel Peace Prize by brokering peace between Israel and UAE. He also thinks covid is a hoax, sensationalized by the media to make Trump look bad.

Every fact that you throw out there is refuted by "well, where did that come from?" and "I don't trust the media, they're crooked". 

🙄

I know a guy who's a gay Vietnamese (immigrant) hairdresser in ATL, and he's the most maga mothefucker I"ve ever met.  

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

not that i know of, but he has plenty of toilet-related stories.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

George Brett like KC Royals George Brett? He's a Trumper?

George Brett is super tight with Rush Limbaugh dating back to Limbaugh’s time as a Royals employee. I’ll let you do the rest of the math.

6 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

George Brett is super tight with Rush Limbaugh dating back to Limbaugh’s time as a Royals employee. I’ll let you do the rest of the math.

He also missed a WS game in 1980 because of a hemorrhoid and had to have it surgically removed the next day.

The hemorrhoid itself was reportedly not double-tapered.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It's a Petition for Writ of Certiorari - any party to a federal appellate decision can file one at the SCOTUS.  Because he's the POTUS, his petiiton has a better chance of success (meaning that the case will actually be heard) than a typical one, but it's no guarantee.  

You send it in, saying "hey court, you should take this case."  The court then decides whether to take it.  There's nothing particularly sinister about it (except for the fact that Trump actually thinks he owns Gorsuch's and Kav's votes....and he might be right about Kav).

So I can petition the SC to tell my wife to quit bitching at me?  Good to know.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's going to be too complicated for most laypeople, including journalists, to figure out quickly.

All those people on twitter that are experts in epidemiology and mathematical modeling of virus spreading will suddenly become forensic accountants and have that shit sorted out in two hours.

• Hook 'Em 1