CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Why doesn't Texas report hospitalizations?

I don’t know why Gottlieb says that, they have a section on the DHS dashboard that reports it. The peak was 3 weeks and two days after Easter, declined to about 1500 or so in the following weeks and then is trending upward again. I think I posted the numbers on this thread or maybe over in DT. Can’t stop to do it at the moment, perhaps someone else will chime in. 

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:
another playbook we’ll ignore. 

Okay, that may be true for the first 50 states.  But what about states #51-#57?  

Your false messiah is gonna kill so many more of you before his idiocy is tapped out.  It gets harder and harder each week to not laugh at your literal demise.  

I just had to run an errand downtown. There are a lot of motherfuckers out and about, very very few are wearing masks, and many restaurant patios are jammed full.  The lake is packed. 

Hopefully the warm weather, open air, and sunlight will prevent this from being a damned disaster. But people are getting comfortable with the idea of returning to life as usual, which makes a second wave inevitable.

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Whoops..... So sorry we tried to depict a better and misleading situation than actually is occurring, right as the Governor made the biggest (and controversial) decisions of his tenure.  It's an egregious error and terrible optics at best.  As the first to open, you can't make this mistake.....3 times.

source.gif

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I just had to run an errand downtown. There are a lot of motherfuckers out and about, very very few are wearing masks, and many restaurant patios are jammed full.  The lake is packed. 

Hopefully the warm weather, open air, and sunlight will prevent this from being a damned disaster. But people are getting comfortable with the idea of returning to life as usual, which makes a second wave inevitable.

Given that it is still humming along nationwide, I'm beginning to picture the scenario as a tide that is already high and it may recede a little but Hurricane COVID-19 is still churning in the Gulf. Sharpies won't save us.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

What economic data are talking about? Is there anything published at state or city level that includes revenue by industry in last couple of weeks? I agree with you that we should use data when we have it but also shouldn't make up data.

One set of data - from Open Table. 

https://www.opentable.com/state-of-industry

US - 93% decline YOY in restaurant seatings. 

They break it down by states as well - California 99.6% decline; Texas 74.98% decline - YOY. 

I think we are seeing the great winnowing beginning. A culling of the herd, if you will. If the virus turns evil, it will spare the super spreaders so they can kill those who would have ordinarily avoided the virus. 

Remember, wearing a face covering is to protect others, not yourself. I guess that is too much to ask these days. 

I think we are seeing the great winnowing beginning. A culling of the herd, if you will. If the virus turns evil, it will spare the super spreaders so they can kill those who would have ordinarily avoided the virus. 
Remember, wearing a face covering is to protect others, not yourself. I guess that is too much to ask these days. 

Correct. It’s not just your right, in many cases it’s your sacred religious freedom....to infect hundreds of people.
Why a bit of common sense and decency are so at odds with modern American “Christianity,” I’ll never understand.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

One set of data - from Open Table. 

https://www.opentable.com/state-of-industry

US - 93% decline YOY in restaurant seatings. 

They break it down by states as well - California 99.6% decline; Texas 74.98% decline - YOY. 

That's a cool data set, impressed they release that. You can definitely see which states are opening up. It's also cool how well that correlates to capacity. I think Texas limits to 25%, right? So it makes sense that Texas would be at 75% YoY, but also means that people aren't necessarily hesitant to go to restaurants - at this point limited by law, not by social behavior.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Jerome Powell is on 60 minutes talking about Covid and the economy. I've never heard him speak before. He's shockingly articulate, thoughtful, and honest for a Trump appointment. Which means he's going to get fired soon.

I’d like to see him try. The Chair of the Federal Reserve does not serve at the pleasure of the President.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

He can't remove him as  Governor of the Fed, but he can remove him as Chairman.  

Indeed, but only for cause, and Powell could sue and would get to keep the job while the process winds through the system.

Additionally, while the president could theoretically remove the chair of the Board of Governors, again, for cause, the FOMC selects its chair by vote. Whole they traditionally select the Board or Govs Chair (and the NY Fed Gov as Vice Chair) It’s entirely possible that the FOMC could keep Powell on as FOMC chair. 

All this is irrelevant, though- whole he can talk shit the President is too concerned about the stock market to do something  as destabilizing as trying to remove Powell. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

Fed Board:  "Even Trump is not crazy enough to attempt to oust a current Chair when the public markets are teetering on disaster."  

Trump:  "I don't drink beer, hold my daughter's panties."  

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

More people have died from C19 in my nominally populated Louisiana Parish than Hong Kong. 

Hong Kong has three million more people than the entire state of Louisiana.

They probably don’t have 5G there yet.

• Like 2