CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

50 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Germany has been pretty anti-Trump since day one. I think the pandemic exposed that the problems run much deeper than him though. They can’t wrap their heads around a government being this dysfunctional. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And DeSantis and Trumpkins have the gall to holler about China juking their stats.

Accusations, confessions.

I work with data scientists all the time and that’s an above average data scientist.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I work with data scientists all the time and that’s an above average data scientist.

Maybe, but I don't see where that article says "The data scientist who designed Florida's COVID-19 dashboard has been removed from her position because she refused to censor data and manipulate numbers to generate support for reopening, she says".  Fucking twitter man.  

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe, but I don't see where that article says "The data scientist who designed Florida's COVID-19 dashboard has been removed from her position because she refused to censor data and manipulate numbers to generate support for reopening, she says".  Fucking twitter man.  

I mean, take it for what you will.

"As a word of caution, I would not expect the new team to continue the same level of accessibility and transparency that I made central to the process during the first two months. After all, my commitment to both is largely (arguably entirely) the reason I am no longer managing it."

11 hours ago, GRHorn said:

This is problematic for two reasons. Fat shaming and disregarding #science. 
bmi of >40 is morbid obesity. 
6’2”. You have to be 310lbs. And he isn’t. 
#followthescience

Fat shaming!

Go fuck yourself

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, take it for what you will.

The CBS article gets a lot closer to it, but the quote is very brief.  Would like to hear some actual details and what data she was specifically being asked to manipulate to support political ends.  I can't imagine a situation where manipulating simple counts of cases or deaths by county would be appropriate. There maybe a bit more subjectivity around cleaning up hospitalizations or some more granular data points though. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The CBS article gets a lot closer to it, but the quote is very brief.  Would like to hear some actual details and what data she was specifically being asked to manipulate to support political ends.  I can't imagine a situation where manipulating simple counts of cases or deaths by county would be appropriate. There maybe a bit more subjectivity around cleaning up hospitalizations or some more granular data points though. 

Nathan Fillion Castle GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GRHorn said:

#followthescience

You're digging in to defend the president from insensitive fatty boombalatty allegations. Keep up the good fight. Never surrender. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chooky said:

You're digging in to defend the president from insensitive fatty boombalatty allegations. Keep up the good fight. Never surrender. 

There’s different levels of fat. She called him morbidly obese. That actually has a definition. Whatever. I was nitpicking and being a smartass. Let’s move on. 

12 hours ago, GRHorn said:

#followthescience

It's official, you are delusional.

Dude is easily over 3 hundo. No fucking way someone that rotund is under 300 pounds.

46 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Here's the report where she actually states that she was fired for refusing to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

https://cbs12.com/news/local/woman-who-designed-floridas-covid-19-dashboard-has-been-removed-from-her-position?

If that shit is true, somebody needs to go to jail. 

Cool story bro

3E6382F2-0282-4833-89B2-6895CB297868.jpeg

A little more information about the florida data manipulation. She apparently was asked to remove a field for symptom start date.  Apparently the data being received were questionable, with implausible symptom onset dates (Jan 1, for example).

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/05/19/florida-health-department-officials-told-manager-to-delete-coronavirus-data-before-reassigning-her-emails-show/

One day before a top Florida Department of Health data manager was taken off her role maintaining the state’s COVID-19 dashboard, officials had directed her to remove data from public view that showed Floridians reported symptoms of the disease before cases were officially announced, according to internal emails obtained by the Tampa Bay Times.

According to the emails, department staff gave the order shortly after reporters requested the same data from the agency on May 5. The data manager, Rebekah Jones, complied with the order, but not before she told her supervisors it was the “wrong call.”

That day, according to the Miami Herald, reporters contacted the department to ask about the “EventDate” field of data, which showed when people first reported coronavirus symptoms or positive test results. Some people had listed dates as early as January 1, indicating people reported symptomatic or tested positive much earlier than when cases were confirmed in March. It is unclear when the state learned about those cases, or when the people were tested.

Sometime that day, the column vanished from the “Person Cases” data, which lists anonymized records for every confirmed case in Florida. The Palm Beach Post reported the disappearance the next day, May 5.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Here's the report where she actually states that she was fired for refusing to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

https://cbs12.com/news/local/woman-who-designed-floridas-covid-19-dashboard-has-been-removed-from-her-position?

If that shit is true, somebody needs to go to jail. 

Did you see the tribune story from here in Texas where antibody tests are being included in our total daily testing numbers, which happens to make the percentage of daily positives lower?  I don’t doubt they’re also trying to do shit like that in Florida, in addition to the column they were having her delete.  

• Like 1

Quick question.  Why are the right wingers pushing the hydro studies in foreign countries so much?  I haven't had time to look into it but that seems to be what's going on in right wing Twitter land.
Orange man say so
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Did you see the tribune story from here in Texas where antibody tests are being included in our total daily testing numbers, which happens to make the percentage of daily positives lower?  I don’t doubt they’re also trying to do shit like that in Florida, in addition to the column they were having her delete.  

No but seems like you would want to report serology tests separately from tests for acute infection. 

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:
16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:
Quick question.  Why are the right wingers pushing the hydro studies in foreign countries so much?  I haven't had time to look into it but that seems to be what's going on in right wing Twitter land.

Orange man say so

yep.  ultimately could end up being another chapter in the long history of broken clocks.  In the meantime, only Trump could cause something with potential benefit in the proper context to devolve into mass chaos.

Just now, Anastasis said:

No but seems like you would want to report serology tests separately from tests for acute infection. 

When you start compiling numbers with a specific goal in mind, it’s not terribly difficult to achieve the goal if you are a little flexible.

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

When you start compiling numbers with a specific goal in mind, it’s not terribly difficult to achieve the goal if you are a little flexible.

I think it's a different problem to be honest.  When they started collecting information on testing they did not foresee the need to draw distinction between serology and acute infection testing, and so now they have to go back and figure out how to tease that information out of the various data feeds.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

6'3" crew as well and the estimates of 270-280 feel about right to me. He has almost zero muscle mass. He's fat and gross as shit, but I don't think he's three bills.

Did you see the photos I posted of Trump next to Tom Brady, A-Rod, and Obama?  One could only charitably make the case that he's even 6' 1".  It's on the Trump 2020 thread.

Did you see the photos I posted of Trump next to Tom Brady, A-Rod, and Obama?  One could only charitably make the case that he's even 6' 1".  It's on the Trump 2020 thread.
Nah. But I mean it's almost definite that he embellishes his various measurements.