CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Yeah, I don't think he's a troll. I see the same type of "content" on facebook from some of my high school classmates back in east Texas. They just parrot the talking point of the day, no matter how assinine or nonsensical it is. The irony is extra thick when said nonsense includes something about whoever disagrees with them is 'a sheep'.  Extra points for the 'non-sheep' posting about livestock meds.

Dunno where to put this, but found this kind of fascinating and interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2021/09/27/rise-liberal-latter-day-saints/?itid=hp-top-table-main

Also anecdotally this is similar to what some of my mormon friends believe as well, to paraphrase one of them:

"We were raised to love god and love our neighbors, and that was the most important commandment. We had a republican president that was the exact opposite of that for 4 years. Anyone who is actually committed to our religion from a legitimately spiritual perspective recognizes that. I think its just harder for older members of our church to let go of their political alliances.

Other than few holdouts, most of their congregations wear masks during service. And most are vaccinated. One lives in Cedar Park and the other is back in Idaho. 

Edited by YChang
  • Hook 'Em 3

I got a couple of strongly scented candles and started sniffing them every half hour or so in a effort to “re-start” the scent cells or whatever. Read somewhere it might help and about three days later I started regaining smell.  Could have done nothing, but didn’t hurt. 
Isn't someone around here a Scentsy rep? Bet they could cut you a real good deal.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The new talking point on the right seems to be about natural antibodies.  What’s going on with that?  I suppose I could look it up but I don’t want to give my computer AIDS.

Also without looking it up, I’m guessing it’s people who have convinced themselves that they’ve had Covid already and therefore don’t need the vaccine. My parents and sister are in this group. 

ETA: I want to be clear, since I’ve mentioned my anti-vaxx sister and my parents several times, that these are not small town, rural, uneducated people. They live in NW Hills and all have post-graduate degrees.  Blows my fucking mind. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

ETA: I want to be clear, since I’ve mentioned my anti-vaxx sister and my parents several times, that these are not small town, rural, uneducated people. They live in NW Hills and all have post-graduate degrees.  Blows my fucking mind. 

Same here, have some relatives just like that.  Educated, etc.  But Trump.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The new talking point on the right seems to be about natural antibodies.  What’s going on with that?  I suppose I could look it up but I don’t want to give my computer AIDS.

Isn't a political stance. 

• Fuck You 13

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Also without looking it up, I’m guessing it’s people who have convinced themselves that they’ve had Covid already and therefore don’t need the vaccine. My parents and sister are in this group. 

My angle, not that you asked, would be press for them to get tested.  "Look, it's in your best interest.  If your antibody levels are good, great!  If it's not, then get the vax."

Probably wouldn't work, but at least it would appear to be in the spirit of fair discussion.

11 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yet another bold claim with no evidence.

Pretty easy Google search, he was taking money from political action committees & corporate interests. Don't really care it's just hilarious he tries to keep up the punk rock defiant counter culture schtick. He is the epitome of a conformist. A sell out. 

• Fuck You 11

2 minutes ago, lmao said:

Pretty easy Google search, he was taking money from political action committees & corporate interests. Don't really care it's just hilarious he tries to keep up the punk rock defiant counter culture schtick. He is the epitome of a conformist. A sell out. 

Then go to it. You made the claim. You cite the source. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

my boss told me he didn't need the vaccine because he had natural antibodies. GE has spit some very dumb mother fuckers and they plaque my industry 

10 hours ago, lmao said:

27 minutes ago, brakeman said:

image.png.de3748dc4b9f6aa2dd04ce41098068cb.png

Only 1% to go.

25 minutes ago, lmao said:

That guy got exposed as being a corporate stooge & payed shill. Lol@having 'Defiant' in his name. 

I'm ready to go ahead and declare fatwa on your disingenuous shit. The guy you posted earlier has a whole stream of right wing bullshit tweets such as this one, his latest. Lol@having "TakingBack" + the US flag in his name.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, lmao said:

I didn’t see it on Facebook so it didn’t happen. 

Maybe you could link us to the Facebook post you saw it on. Then it will become real. 

• Hook 'Em 2

After hayden said he was being routed through London I'm about ready to sign on to the fatwa. 

It's pretty fucking simple. Make a claim and cite your sources. I've been around here long enough to note that he has a habit of doing nothing but posting BS with no supporting evidence or if pushed replies with the flimsiest of citations.

Game on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And he bails the fuck out anytime anyone points out that 1) most of the people who claim natural immunity to avoid vaccination haven't taken an antibody test, nor probably even know for certain that they had Covid, 2) natural immunity doesn't last, and 3) natural immunity + vaccination >> natural vaccination alone.

Fuck this asshole doing his best to muddy the waters and get people killed.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

The NBA player's position is actually somewhat defensible.  I mean, I think he overestimates the risk of the vaccine by a few orders of magnitude, but if one has (a) truly had covid and (b) still shows immune response, I can at least buy into the idea that a decision not to vax isn't 100% stupid.

Maybe 50% stupid or something like that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

The NBA player's position is actually somewhat defensible.  I mean, I think he overestimates the risk of the vaccine by a few orders of magnitude, but if one has (a) truly had covid and (b) still shows immune response, I can at least buy into the idea that a decision not to vax isn't 100% stupid.

Maybe 50% stupid or something like that.

When I was in grad school, I tutored athletes.  Football players largely have a reputation for being stupid, but basketball and baseball players are no slouches at stupidity.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I like to think I had a little to do with that.  I had been negging the asshole for the last couple of days.  Of course, he was finding posts of mine throughout the forums and negging me in retaliation.  Bye again, Fozzz.

Of course he'll be back. We are apparently his assignment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

So just to be clear, as the put-downs seem to be flying fast and furious here, if someone has:

• Verifiably tested positive for Covid and
  • Then had an antigen test confirming antibodies

Then you guys are ok if they don't get vaccinated? I do know the science says that the vaccines are more effective than natural antibodies. I also agree that most people who claim natural immunity don't actually know that for certain by any means.  I'm just trying to get a feel for where some people might agree to draw the line that people shouldn't lose their jobs over a vaccine, especially if they don't work in the health field. So if somebody has had a confirmed case, and followed that up with a confirmed positive antigen test, is that sufficient to keep a job, in the general opinions here?

Edited by ouflak

4 minutes ago, ouflak said:

So just to be clear, as the put-downs seem to be flying fast and furious here, if someone has:

• Verifiably tested positive for Covid and
  • Then had an antigen test confirming antibodies

Then you guys are ok if they don't get vaccinated? I do know the science says that the vaccines are more effective than natural antibodies. I also agree that most people who claim natural immunity don't actually know that for certain by any means.  I'm just trying to get a feel for where some people might agree to draw the line that people shouldn't lose their jobs over a vaccine, especially if they don't work in the health field. So if somebody has had a confirmed case, and followed that up with a confirmed positive antigen test, is that sufficient to keep a job, in the general opinions here?

No get vaxxed

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

No get vaxxed

Just to clarify, I'm not asking whether they should get vaccinated or not, I'm asking whether you guys think that someone who has been confirmed tested positive for both Covid and its antibodies, should still be required by their employer to get a vaccine or lose their job?

It may seem like only a slightly different question. But, as some have posted, it's clear that a good number of people are never going to get vaccinated, even to the point of losing their jobs. Others will provide all sorts of fake evidence that they have been, again never ever actually getting vaccinated. So will get exemptions, perhaps religious, and many will never actually ever be required to get vaccinated if they just don't happen fall under such a mandate because of their life circumstances. So I want to keep the topics separate and get an idea for what people here think.

Edited by ouflak