CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

26 minutes ago, G650 said:

Apparently Joe Manchin lit up McConnell on the Senate floor a minute ago.

Quite a few DC folks have set up camp in WV in hopes of fleeing the virus.  Others have their retirement/vacation homes there.  

https://dcist.com/story/20/03/21/d-c-residents-are-trying-to-escape-coronavirus-in-west-virginia/

Edited by Mdhorn

32 minutes ago, G650 said:

Apparently Joe Manchin lit up McConnell on the Senate floor a minute ago.

I'd love to see video 

Here it is.  Not much there, IMHO.

https://www.alternet.org/2020/03/sen-joe-manchin-erupts-into-shouting-match-with-mcconnell-youre-more-concerned-about-the-health-of-wall-street/

Edited by Bullneck

15 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I keep hearing that about half of people who are tested are non-symptomatic.  

Does that mean that they have no symptoms yet, and they are a few days from having a bad time?

Or does it mean that half the people who catch this thing will have no symptoms at all?

My understanding is that they don’t have symptoms *yet* although I’ve seen some reports where people have very mild symptoms 

No.  Fuck that.  Stand up to the bullshit GOP corporate / wealthy donor welfare.  Support a streamlined bill that does real good for individual Americans.  But DO NOT squander this opportunity by playing into the stereotypes and other bullshit.  And for god’s sake don’t give the other side any opportunity for moral relativism.  Show America that Dems are the party that gets real work done.  

This is just a more strongly worded version of what I said, so I don't disagree

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I heard that was going to happen.... how many states will finish the year or come back this session?  

And/or most likely a longer school year next year.  I expect Maryland to follow.  

Edited by Mdhorn

28 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I keep hearing that about half of people who are tested are non-symptomatic.  

Does that mean that they have no symptoms yet, and they are a few days from having a bad time?

Or does it mean that half the people who catch this thing will have no symptoms at all?

i don't know the actual percentages or stats, but it's my understanding that someone could catch the virus, have it incubate (or whatever it does), pass it on to other people who are around them, then no longer have the virus, and show no real symptoms during the entire stretch. and not even know that they had it at all.  that's the horrifying part.  

a doctor buddy of mine basically said "everybody should stay home.  if you have a fever and a cough, you might have it, but you should stay home.  if you also have shortness of breath, you should get to a hospital immediately, because that's a sign it's escalating."  this was 10 days ago.

there's no vaccine and really no treatment, so symptoms shouldn't be that important while everyone shelters-in-place.  i'm really tired of people using symptoms as some sort of justification for keeping up their normal schedule.  see sen. paul, rand.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I heard that was going to happen.... how many states will finish the year or come back this session?  

we'll finish the year, but it may be late july or early august at the earliest.  what was left, 8 real weeks here in texas?

Edited by elfenix

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We are still getting emails from our chancellor where his language makes it seem as if he believes we will be back on campus in April. 

I laugh everytime. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

How dare one of the foremost authorities on this subject correct Dotard and try to save lives.... how dare he.

Vice President Mike Pence indicated on Sunday at a White House briefing about the virus that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would issue new guidelines on Monday, allowing some people who have been exposed to the coronavirus to resume working outside their homes if they wear masks. 

This after the CDC has been telling us the lie that masks aren't effective for healthy people to avoid infection in public. What a fucking clown show this administration is. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

the answer should be zero.  it's late march.  school year should be over.

Dallas ISD has already committed to at home learning. No reason why other districts can't do that. I shudder to think what happens in cities if junior high to high school age kids have nothing to do all day. I doubt we'll go back to a physical school this year but some teacher friends have pointed out we're approaching STAAR time where they basically flip towards teaching to the test every day. The actual learning part of the year ends around Spring Break, at least for K-6. 

5 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Vice President Mike Pence indicated on Sunday at a White House briefing about the virus that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would issue new guidelines on Monday, allowing some people who have been exposed to the coronavirus to resume working outside their homes if they wear masks. 

This after the CDC has been telling us the lie that masks aren't effective for healthy people to avoid infection in public. What a fucking clown show this administration is. 

If you're the head of the CDC you have to resign in protest.  

My daughter's school here in NJ is digital the rest of the year.  Looks like I'm going to have to help with the home schooling.

My son got accepted to a boarding school on March 10th so in his mind the school year is over.  Not quite, but he's on cruise control.

I guess all of this might be for naught, as well:

Qatar 2022 World Cup organisers admit ‘high number’ of worker deaths is a tragedy

Qatar’s treatment of army of migrant workers the source of scrutiny ever since winning right to host World Cup in 2010

Why TESTING is still the key (economically)-  We have what is technically called a double cluster fuck catch 22, because of our President's never ending focus upon himself.  You see while everyone with a fucking brain knew the virus was coming, making preparations, or even talking about making preparations could not be done... because the stock market might be damaged.  Now that the stock market is damaged far more than it might have been, we still have the pesky problem of refusing to do any of the heavy lifting from a response perspective that would normally be done. So because of lack of any preparation, we skipped the containment step completely. and went directly to destroy the economy... mitigation.

In essence we have two separate and distinct problems but BOTH are purely related to the Administrations stupidity on testing.  Remember two weeks ago Mike Pence told us that 1 million tests had shipped and another million would be out in the coming days.  I can only assume we public was told a lie was simply habit by now, or actually done to try not to create more panic by the lack of response by the Trump administration. Probably both is the correct answer.

The bottom line is WE STILL HAVE A TESTING PROBLEM, and that is why we have destroyed our economy.  Many portions of the country would be found to have very little risk and could simply be more careful. Other areas would be like a wildfire burning out of control, and we could push focused streams of resources.  Austin is shut down for example over what is now 79 cases.  Cases which VERY POSSIBLY could have been isolated and given greater protection to the public. Instead, since we don't know a fucking thing we have to blanket lock down all urban areas because... we simply have no idea at all where to put resources, because we simply do not know who is sick.

Until we build testing capacity we simply have no hope whatsoever of having getting the economy back on track.  Shit you can give everyone $1500 a month, and when will we know who is and who is not sick? OF course... We don't have the tests, don't know when we are gonna have the tests, we sure as hell can't get any specific answers from ANY MOTHERFUCKER in the Trump administration. Not a single fucking one!

This is just a big black hole until we get enough tests out there to figure out who is, and who is not sick. Until then, the actual federal strategy is spread all the resources thin, and hope for the best.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I agree. We need some sort of government panel to decides who gets care and who gets death. I'm sure a clever name could be created to describe this panel that determines death. Sounds like somethings republicans would support.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not sure why everyone is surprised.  Do we really think a virus is going to suddenly make these people (Dems included) come together?  They all suck at their jobs.  Rs more overall than Ds, but congress critters gonna congress critter.  tl;dr: we are fucked.

You are going to have to wait until every politician in Washington D.C.'s favorite restaurant for their three martini lunch is out of business before anyone even thinks about solving this.  

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Dallas ISD has already committed to at home learning. No reason why other districts can't do that. I shudder to think what happens in cities if junior high to high school age kids have nothing to do all day. I doubt we'll go back to a physical school this year but some teacher friends have pointed out we're approaching STAAR time where they basically flip towards teaching to the test every day. The actual learning part of the year ends around Spring Break, at least for K-6. 

Beat me to it. My niece and nephew are e-learning their DISD stuff as we speak and they (the ISD) seems to be in it for the long haul. Of course, DISD's gonna DISD and they instructed them to stay on schedule with science fair projects (which are due tomorrow), so they effectively encouraged all of us to go out to Wal-Mart, Target, et al to get supplies.

It's really impossible to overstate how stupid and evil the GOP is. They're evil because they think the choice is between 1) a functioning economy, but 1-3 million Americans die agonizing deaths (while countless others die preventable deaths and/or otherwise go without treatment for serious medical conditions), or 2) a quarantined country in which the economy craters but relatively few die, and they think option #1 is clearly the preferable choice. That is already extremely close to Nazi "useless eater" reasoning, and we've only sort of been quarantined for one fucking week. And it goes without saying that we can actually protect most people from the worst economic impacts, but it would take massive government spending and that's worse than millions of Americans dying to Republicans. They'd rather cause a holocaust than see a single dollar more than necessary be spent by the government to help regular people.

Of course, they're also extremely stupid because they think that the economy would keep chugging along just fine as anywhere from 1-4 million Americans died and another 40 million or more had to be hospitalized for weeks at a time, so long as they pretended things were fine.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

You realize House GOP members were trying to put anti-abortion language in last week's bill, right?

Ohio banned "elective" surgical abortions as part of its ban on non-essential surgeries. That's not something you can just put off for six months like a hip replacement. A reporter asked Mike DeWine when he announced the ban Saturday if he could say what an "emergency" abortion would be and he declined to answer, telling them to read the order. 

https://www.10tv.com/article/clinics-ohio-ordered-stop-non-essential-elective-surgical-abortions-2020-mar

Edited by WhatTheBuck

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I agree. We need some sort of government panel to decides who gets care and who gets death. I'm sure a clever name could be created to describe this panel that determines death. Sounds like somethings republicans would support.

As long as the name forms the acronym REAPER, I'm good with it. 

These bill are all the same.  GOP taking care of the rich, Dems wondering why are the non-rich always at the back of the taxpayer largesse?  Just like the GOP tax plan did not do shit for the working man.  Which anyone with a brain and understanding of economics knew when the bill was signed.

Dems are at least making an effort to give the public a spot at the trough. 

The GOP is still actually thinking that giving a man who just proved himself completely incompetent $500 billion to spread around the table at Mar a Largo, is the very, very best idea for legislation.  WITHOUT any strings or accountability attached... fucking GOP.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ohio banned "elective" surgical abortions as part of its ban on non-essential surgeries. That's not something you can just put off for six months like a hip replacement. A reporter asked Mike DeWine when he announced the ban Saturday if he could say what an "emergency" abortion would be and he declined to answer, telling them to read the order. 

https://www.10tv.com/article/clinics-ohio-ordered-stop-non-essential-elective-surgical-abortions-2020-mar

That's bullshit 

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk