CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

CDC estimates between 40-70% of the general population becomes infected...help me do the math...why is it not as bad as I think?

That's under worst-case scenario rate of infection.

Look, it ain't GOOD.  But we're not talking about 3% of 70% of the population needing ICU all at once.  The measures we are taking (which actually need to be tightened for a period in many places) will have some positive effect to reduce the number of infected at any one time.

We are by no means looking at a best-case scenario.  But those numbers tell us we're also not looking at the worst-case scenario.

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Circulating in Florida - Senior Citizen Ground Zero:

In a July 2011 report completed by a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ethics subcommittee, planners said the “principle of sickest first” for critical care might no longer apply during a severe pandemic because it “may lead to resources being used by patients who ultimately are too sick to survive.”

When there’s a severe shortage of life-saving medical resources “priority is given to those who are most likely to recover,” the report said.

Medics in war, for example, might first treat wounded soldiers more likely to return to health. Or emergency workers managing a cholera outbreak in a refugee camp will first give limited IV fluids to moderately dehydrated people because they are more likely to recover than sicker patients.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/zz/news/20200323/who-lives-and-who-dies-in-worst-case-coronavirus-scenario-ethics-guide-choices-on-who-gets-care

Based on CDC guide from 2011: https://www.cdc.gov/od/science/integrity/phethics/docs/Vent_Document_Final_Version.pdf

So the Obamacare Death Panels have finally arrived! HUZZAH! 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I would be actually fine with letting things get more back to normal if every hospital was fully staffed and had all the supplies they need. Until then, lock it down. 

Definitely some of this.  Our medium to long-term plan for managing this crisis means that we need to get on a wartime footing to manufacture and supply ventilators and PPE, and to get every medical practitioner who can help ready to go.  If we can do that, AND come up with some effective therapies, we can perhaps get this down to being just 5X - 10X the death rate of seasonal flu.  Which is something of a "win."

Look, it ain't GOOD.  But we're not talking about 3% of 70% of the population needing ICU all at once.  The measures we are taking (which actually need to be tightened for a period in many places) will have some positive effect to reduce the number of infected at any one time.
We are by no means looking at a best-case scenario.  But those numbers tell us we're also not looking at the worst-case scenario.
Just wait till Trump says we should all ignore social distancing guidelines. We are in for a world of hurt.

Local and state governments right now are the bullwark against the worst case scenario. But the feds are going to get in the way of that in the next few days
  • Like 1

Just wait till Trump says we should all ignore social distancing guidelines. We are in for a world of hurt.

Local and state governments right now are the bullwark against the worst case scenario. But the feds are going to get in the way of that in the next few days

I said it before, there's a segment of society that is perfectly fine with there being an expendable class of people who provide you services. When first responders start going down, when grocery stores can't staff their stores, when nurses and doctors can't work anymore, that's when our little house of cards starts to topple. But hey, billionaires are losing money, back to work, lemmings!  

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

You could see pretty profound differences in terms of response between blue and red states. Which could lead to some pretty profound voter demographic changes in the not too distant future...

12 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

McConnell's bill was absolute garbage.

Time to call your congress critters and say no to McConnell's bill.

i know this would never happen, but how great would it be if schumer came in and said...

"listen, mitch.  we will agree to your garbage bill with all its garbage contents, but we need one amendment - we need clear language stating that no aid/bailout money will go to any property owned or associated with the trump organization.  we'll allow everything else."

the squirming that would accompany this would be fucking outstanding.  they could never do it, and the whole interaction would be leaked directly to the press.  and if they somehow did do it, trump would have a meltdown.

for all the lying trump does on a daily basis, he still couldn't even go on the record yesterday and confirm that his hotels wouldn't get bailout money.

It’s worth pointing out how incredibly short-sighted that message is. The entire point in saying that is to calm markets RIGHT NOW while completely ignoring the fact in 2 weeks things are going to be so much worse and telling everyone to go back to their lives will literally be insane.

the only driving force in this administration is today’s stock market moves. Nothing else matters.

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

trump absolutely cannot stand being unable to brag about "his" stock market, even though all he "did" was continue the Obama bull market.  Such a fucking pussy snowflake. 

To be fair, he did give Obama's market copious amounts of cocaine and Red Bull...unfortunately, now it's the morning after.... 

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You could see pretty profound differences in terms of response between blue and red states. Which could lead to some pretty profound voter demographic changes in the not too distant future...

I believe this would be a version of "hoisted on their own petard".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't really know too much about Clay Jenkins, he might be as crooked and selfish as most Rep politicians but he's showing 1000x the leadership as Hot Wheels. 

Possibly because he's a D.  He was one of the first pols in Dallas to gain office as a D after the red storm, before the Ds took over.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

That would disappoint me if true. I really don't understand why we can't just focus on one thing at time. Let's get a bill that gets money to individuals, now. And then we can separately negotiate a bill related to businesses. Why everything has to be in one fucking package is simply beyond me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

If that comes to pass, then the states that are protecting themselves more thoroughly need to shut their borders to the states that follow the President's lead.

I will take my chances with what Colorado, California, New York, etc... can collectively provide their citizens.  Let the do-nothing red #MAGA state's kill off their citizens and economy.

Sorry if that's where you live.

Edited by Goredho

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That would disappoint me if true. I really don't understand why we can't just focus on one thing at time. Let's get a bill that gets money to individuals, now. And then we can separately negotiate a bill related to businesses. Why everything has to be in one fucking package is simply beyond me. 

Some guy named Crenshaw who wears an eye patch confirms it.  So, I'm skeptical. 

JFC, trying to work on an environmental agenda in a medical emergency.  IF that is true, fuck Nancy, too.

I'd be with you in a world where the GOP is negotiating in good faith and isn't trying to simply hand money to corporations. We don't live in that world, so Democrats have to hold the line and stand up for meaningful conditions/provisions.

Democrats are generally soft, and I still think they're losing the political battle here, but I'm glad Pelosi wants to stand up for sonething.

To the second point, however, I do think there's better bang for the buck sticking points than airline fuel efficiency. Worker/ consumer protection and advancement of medical capacity should be the name of the game.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I'd be with you in a world where the GOP is negotiating in good faith and isn't trying to simply hand money to corporations. We don't live in that world, so Democrats have to hold the line and stand up for meaningful conditions/provisions.

Democrats are generally soft, and I still think they're losing the political battle here, but I'm glad Pelosi wants to stand up for sonething.

To the second point, however, I do think there's better bang for the buck sticking points than airline fuel efficiency. Worker/ consumer protection and advancement of medical capacity should be the name of the game.

Hey, I fully support drawing a line as far as preventing a bill that will not have any meaningful impact to individuals/allow certain entities to simply pilfer the public pocket. I'm just against adding in shit irrelevant to this particular crisis. One thing at a time people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

No.  Fuck that.  Stand up to the bullshit GOP corporate / wealthy donor welfare.  Support a streamlined bill that does real good for individual Americans.  But DO NOT squander this opportunity by playing into the stereotypes and other bullshit.  And for god’s sake don’t give the other side any opportunity for moral relativism.  Show America that Dems are the party that gets real work done.  

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep and Dems out-maneuvered at every turn by the Reps...also contributing to shocked face

It's hard to fight lying degenerates preaching to morons who are no better themselves. There is no high road for most of the electorate. If the people buy the GOP story, they are laughing while held upside down by their ankles and shaken free of their money yet again.

Recall the impeachment trial. It was all right there, laid out clearly and articulately. The people chose the vomit over the ham sandwich and downed it with a smile.

HL Mencken is almost beginning to seem like an optimist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Lmao. Of course. Plus the senate sneaking in corporate bail out. Fuck all these fucks. They should be deliver food and groceries in their home town like the forgotten hero’s keeping the country running. Never let a crisis go to waste. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I said it before, there's a segment of society that is perfectly fine with there being an expendable class of people who provide you services. When first responders start going down, when grocery stores can't staff their stores, when nurses and doctors can't work anymore, that's when our little house of cards starts to topple. But hey, billionaires are losing money, back to work, lemmings!  

It's shocking how many people in that expendable class support their pitiless overlords.

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

I mean the 10th amendment is about to be put to the test.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s worth pointing out how incredibly short-sighted that message is. The entire point in saying that is to calm markets RIGHT NOW while completely ignoring the fact in 2 weeks things are going to be so much worse and telling everyone to go back to their lives will literally be insane.

the only driving force in this administration is today’s stock market moves. Nothing else matters.

They must still have some stock left to unload.

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

We need tests!

I keep hearing that about half of people who are tested are non-symptomatic.  

Does that mean that they have no symptoms yet, and they are a few days from having a bad time?

Or does it mean that half the people who catch this thing will have no symptoms at all?

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk