CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Suuuure.  And one time, Bruce Springsteen pulled me up on stage to dance with him while he sang Dancing in the Dark.

No really man it's true. Not some made up bullshit like Brisket getting a sweaty hug from Susanna Hoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

so my boss tested positive again, and is up in the office anyway.  he says the nurse told him he was no longer contagious.  he also talked to an infectious disease expert here in houston (i didn't catch her name, he used all 3 of them, they were on the phone a good while tho) who said he's almost certainly not contagious and that the PCR test can pick up tiny fragments of the virus so he could be positive for a while.  CDC guidance isn't quite clear on this situation because it's missing either the word "first" or "last" (i assume last) before positive covid test and 10 day waiting period, and also it's not clear whether that's guidance for vaxxed and asymptomatic (there's an implied guidance that vaxxed and asymptomatic can just wear masks inside and be good). 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fif-you-are-sick%2Fend-home-isolation.html

Edited by elfenix
  • Rage+1 2

Latest update on MIL (tested positive July 23rd):

• Self-quarantined at the ranch with heavy flu-like symptoms. Her son came down to watch the animals since she was supposed to be out of town that weekend.
  • BIL started running a fever with flu-like symptoms and cough/congestion by July 25th.
  • MIL was prescribed ivermectin on July 26. Used that with a bunch of OTC (Mucinex, Tylenol) to fight symptoms.
  • MIL sends a text yesterday announcing she felt so much better she went to the HEB in Fredericksburg and Tractor Supply! So much for quarantine.
  • BIL still has a low grade fever and cough/aches/congestion. BIL refuses to get tested because he won't be "a data point." We're certain that he's taking meds prescribed for his mom. Oh yeah, he's retired USAF and probably had ever inoculation under the sun over his 30 years, but COVID vax is asking too much.

Mrs GOTJ is still riding the see saw. Her mom still doesn't see the need to get vaccinated ("I've had it so I'm immune, and God has shown that His hand is protecting me"). Oh, she then announced that eight (!!) of the twelve women in her ministry group also tested positive and since nobody has died yet they think the entire thing is overblown. She was planning to go and visit her for 2 or 3 days later this month. Even before her mom got COVID she told her that her staying at the ranch was contingent upon her mom getting vaxxed. Now that line in the sand has been officially drawn. This is going to be a fucking nightmare for the foreseeable future.

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
  • Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Best of luck, dude.  This Friday will be two weeks for me since boosting the J&J with the moderna shot.   And thanks to trauma babe I ordered different masks to arrive soon.  Wearing my lame cloth ones in the meantime, but only indoors for groceries and very spacious gym at this point.  

what mask did she recommend?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

One time I got a high five from Billy Joel while he was singing Uptown Girl. 

A buddy of mine in my dorm at UVA trick or treated at the Joel household up in Montauk and was greeted by Billy and Christie at the door. /csb

SF hospitals opening door to mRNA doses for JNJ recipients.

https://sfist.com/2021/08/03/if-you-got-the-johnson-johnson-shot-sf-general-will-give-you-a-supplemental/

The decision was made Monday by Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital (ZSFG) and San Francisco's Department of Public Health (SFDPH), as ABC 7 reports, following multiple reports that the J&J vaccine may not be as effective in preventing infection from the Delta variant as mRNA-based Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. With the first variants of COVID-19 that were spreading last year, the J&J vaccine was seen as highly effective in preventing severe illness, but new data suggests that the mRNA vaccines provide strong protection against what appears to be a stronger and more infectious variant.

But they are being careful to call it a "supplemental dose," not a booster.

"It's not a booster because it's not specific for some of the variants, which the booster ultimately will be," says Dr. Chris Colwell, chief of emergency medicine at ZSFG, speaking to ABC 7. He adds, regarding the decision to offer these mRNA extra shots, "Potential benefit, no downside. To me, as we look at the future of this virus and now we're facing a fourth surge, it does make sense."

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Latest update on MIL (tested positive July 23rd):

• Self-quarantined at the ranch with heavy flu-like symptoms. Her son came down to watch the animals since she was supposed to be out of town that weekend.
  • BIL started running a fever with flu-like symptoms and cough/congestion by July 25th.
  • MIL was prescribed ivermectin on July 26. Used that with a bunch of OTC (Mucinex, Tylenol) to fight symptoms.
  • MIL sends a text yesterday announcing she felt so much better she went to the HEB in Fredericksburg and Tractor Supply! So much for quarantine.
  • BIL still has a low grade fever and cough/aches/congestion. BIL refuses to get tested because he won't be "a data point." We're certain that he's taking meds prescribed for his mom. Oh yeah, he's retired USAF and probably had ever inoculation under the sun over his 30 years, but COVID vax is asking too much.

Mrs GOTJ is still riding the see saw. Her mom still doesn't see the need to get vaccinated ("I've had it so I'm immune, and God has shown that His hand is protecting me"). Oh, she then announced that eight (!!) of the twelve women in her ministry group also tested positive and since nobody has died yet they think the entire thing is overblown. She was planning to go and visit her for 2 or 3 days later this month. Even before her mom got COVID she told her that her staying at the ranch was contingent upon her mom getting vaxxed. Now that line in the sand has been officially drawn. This is going to be a fucking nightmare for the foreseeable future.

My wife had to draw the line with MIL over the vaccine as well.  In the end told her that if she wanted to come visit, she had to be vaxxed.  That did the trick, thankfully.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Here is where my mind is being blown at the moment.  There are all these people arguing that vaccine mandates are against the Nuremberg Code, the Geneva Convention, International Law, and the Constitution.  Now, I know it is not. Because they are not holding you down and forcing you get vaccinated. Rather, they are saying, for the work related mandates, that if you are not vaccinated, you will have to submit to weekly or bi-weekly testing.  You always have the choice to quit or find another job.  On the restaurant, concert, gym mandates like NYC is doing, this is very much in the spirit of no shoes, no shirt, no service.  The other arguement I saw recently was that people choosing to be unvaccinated should be a protected class.  This shit is FUCKING stupid.  A protected class is only so because it is something that is beyond their control.  How are people really this fucking dumb?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And if it seems like I am really worked up, I am.  I am happy NYC finally did this.  And then to hear people fucking explode about it, it just blows my mind.  Were these fuckers not here last April?  Did they not hear the ambulances AT ALL HOURS OF THE FUCKING DAY AND NIGHT?  I really fucking hate people.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Here is where my mind is being blown at the moment.  There are all these people arguing that vaccine mandates are against the Nuremberg Code, the Geneva Convention, International Law, and the Constitution.  Now, I know it is not. Because they are not holding you down and forcing you get vaccinated. Rather, they are saying, for the work related mandates, that if you are not vaccinated, you will have to submit to weekly or bi-weekly testing.  You always have the choice to quit or find another job.  On the restaurant, concert, gym mandates like NYC is doing, this is very much in the spirit of no shoes, no shirt, no service.  The other arguement I saw recently was that people choosing to be unvaccinated should be a protected class.  This shit is FUCKING stupid.  A protected class is only so because it is something that is beyond their control.  How are people really this fucking dumb?

Man, I really don’t know how people can be this fucking stupid for no good reason.  I’ve had people give me grief for wearing my mask and I just say “well, I’m vaccinated, but I have kids under 12 and I don’t want to take chances with them.  I also don’t want to take chances with any other at-risk person and I want to help kill this disease for good.”  They then will spout off about how “kids aren’t that affected by it, etc..”.  Even after I say that taking a chance with my kids or even their kids isn’t worth the risk, they still act like I’m being an asshole for wearing a mask.  These people need to be treated badly until they get their minds right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Maybe what we need to do is tell Donald Trump that the government will pay him $50 for every person that gets vaccinated.  Then he will go tell all of his dumbass followers to go get vaxxed.  Once it’s done and Donald comes to collect, keep telling him “the check will be here in 2 weeks.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh and @slorch shut the fuck up you fucking tech tard. You and the graduates y’all pump out are downright embarrassing. I wish you weren’t as stupid as you seem, but unfortunately that seems to be the case. But I mean I guess it’s a tech thing, right? Pumping out and letting in morons

• Like 1

Talked to mom on the phone today; eventually the conversation came around to Covid.  Mom and dad are both vaxxed, as are all the members of my family.  No drama/debate over this.  Mom has occupational therapy twice a week and has for the past 18 months or so with the same therapist.  During height of Covid in 2020, therapist came to the house, but after vaccines became available, mom was able to go into the office.

Today mom had her therapy, and therapist was talking about Covid, and family members refusing to get the shot.  Therapist and her husband are vaxxed, but a few weeks ago, they traveled out of state for a birthday party.  The rest of the therapist's family are staunch anti-vaxxers, so you get where this is headed.

Therapist and her husband went to dinner, wore masks.  Were promptly made fun of by rest of family, etc.  Therapist and husband came home the next day.

Few days later, news came out that one of the aunts was diagnosed with, yep, you guessed it.  Delta.  Soon, other family members were all diagnosed.    Of the 12 people at the party who were anti-vax, 8 have been diagnosed in the past few weeks with Delta.  5 are in hospital.  

And that's one family.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Talked to mom on the phone today; eventually the conversation came around to Covid.  Mom and dad are both vaxxed, as are all the members of my family.  No drama/debate over this.  Mom has occupational therapy twice a week and has for the past 18 months or so with the same therapist.  During height of Covid in 2020, therapist came to the house, but after vaccines became available, mom was able to go into the office.

Today mom had her therapy, and therapist was talking about Covid, and family members refusing to get the shot.  Therapist and her husband are vaxxed, but a few weeks ago, they traveled out of state for a birthday party.  The rest of the therapist's family are staunch anti-vaxxers, so you get where this is headed.

Therapist and her husband went to dinner, wore masks.  Were promptly made fun of by rest of family, etc.  Therapist and husband came home the next day.

Few days later, news came out that one of the aunts was diagnosed with, yep, you guessed it.  Delta.  Soon, other family members were all diagnosed.    Of the 12 people at the party who were anti-vax, 8 have been diagnosed in the past few weeks with Delta.  5 are in hospital.  

And that's one family.  

Well thank goodness they had their FREEDOM and LIBERTY to propagate an extremely contagious disease. Fucking selfish idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I once got a high five from Hacksaw Jim Duggan as he made his entrance to the ring.  Pretty sure I win.

Don’t listen to Red Five. He’s….well…..not exactly right in the head. He threatened to kill me once. True story 

Daughter's ex-boyfriend (ex as of 2 months ago) was vaxxed early with Pfizer (~ Dec/Jan) due to his job as an EMT.  He's now about to start his sophomore year at UT, living just north of campus in a party house, and . . . you guessed it, just tested positive for covid.  I suppose a breakthrough 7 months out isn't all that crazy, but his lifestyle probably didn't help.

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Can't be any worse than the penicillin shot. Fucking peanut butter in my ass then we had a PT test the next day. 

Well, you and I are players in this game. We look at a case of herpes like a skateboarder looks at a scrapped knee 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1