CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 hours ago, YChang said:

I would love for hot wheels to even show anything resembling that level of empathy and understanding as Gov Hutchinson. 

Gov. Hutchinson isn't facing an attack from the Mega-MAGA Trump right like our slimeball governor is, is he? Maybe that's just enough to allow to show a sliver of conscience way too late. 

They all go in the fucking cage. They all go into the fucking cold sea their names never spoken again.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I feel bad for anyone that dies from COVID even if they mistakenly didn't get the vaccine. But if they actively tried to get others to not take the vaccine, I don't really see the loss and it's good that the hospital bed was freed up for someone else.

I've said it before.  The death of the average misled idiot with dumb social media posts does not bring me any type of schadenfreude.   But the charlatans in positions of influence, well those folks deserve every ounce of their suffering and then some. 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
stupid puncutation.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

Mr. Nagy was also 80 years old and obese and died well before there were any vaccines. 

Not disagreeing with you, but I want to point out the obit did not mention vaccines.  Just that R politicians are assholes that downplayed the seriousness of the virus and eschewed mask usage.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Mr. Nagy was also 80 years old and obese and died well before there were any vaccines. 

The GOPs public messaging at that time was that old people were going to have to die in order to keep the economy on track.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not disagreeing with you, but I want to point out the obit did not mention vaccines.  Just that R politicians are assholes that downplayed the seriousness of the virus and eschewed mask usage.

And I don’t really disagree with that, for what it’s worth. I just remember reading that obit when it came out last year and thinking that his death specifically was a poor one to try to make that point. Even with an ideal response from the government, he was likely in trouble.

Anyway, that’s easier for me to say than the grieving family, I understand why they would be upset.

Edited by formermav43

4 hours ago, heso said:

My daughter starts kindergarten in 3 weeks. The school district sent out an email asking if parents want the kids to be required to wear masks. 

Glad to know that the school district is letting Karen who gets her opinions from Facebook get a vote in how the school district handles masking in the fall. 

Actually, I think the Karens are going to lose their shit if it truly runs rampant in the schools for two reasons:

1. It could could get schools shut down, which restricts their chances of fucking the lawn guy
  2. If one kid from a school ends up in the hospital, every Karen with a kid at that school will lose their shit, because they are self-centered and will make sure that everybody knows that IT COULD HAPPEN TO MY CHILD!!!!

They are Karens for a reason.  Something could happen halfway across the country to a single person, and they are going to assume it could happen to them and want to speak to the manager.  Now imagine a kid at their children's school ends up in the hospital, and they will be inundating the school board, the PTA, their Congressional offices, etc. with "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO PROTECT MY CHILD, BECAUSE MY CHILD IS THE MOST PRECIOUS CHILD IN THE WORLD!"

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is there any talk of postponing school starts or temporarily going with remote learning? This seems like the absolute worse time to start school in the next couple of weeks as a wave is starting to hit. Feels like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

This will jam up ERs because when junior gets sick, parents will rush him to the ER.

Hot Wheels and the Texas Education Agency ain't going to do shit unless kids start ending up in the hospital in larger numbers than last year.

Abbott has to be more afraid of the parents of the 4-5 million students in Texas under the age of twelve, than the 1.5 million Republicans who vote in the Republican gubernatorial primary next year.

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Actually, I think the Karens are going to lose their shit if it truly runs rampant in the schools for two reasons:

1. It could could get schools shut down, which restricts their chances of fucking the lawn guy
  2. If one kid from a school ends up in the hospital, every Karen with a kid at that school will lose their shit, because they are self-centered and will make sure that everybody knows that IT COULD HAPPEN TO MY CHILD!!!!

They are Karens for a reason.  Something could happen halfway across the country to a single person, and they are going to assume it could happen to them and want to speak to the manager.  Now imagine a kid at their children's school ends up in the hospital, and they will be inundating the school board, the PTA, their Congressional offices, etc. with "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO PROTECT MY CHILD, BECAUSE MY CHILD IS THE MOST PRECIOUS CHILD IN THE WORLD!"

You have really weird takes on women, and on who the Karens are.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think that's necessarily the best conclusion to make on their data.  If Pfizer put a lot more shots in arms than Moderna, then that alone might explain the higher % of breakthrough infections.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Yep. Not enough info to run a proper Bayesian analysis.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct. I’d like to see the breakthrough RATE for each type, and I’d also like to see time since vaccination and age of the breakthrough cases. Gonna take time to get that data.

This is why I keep encouraging people to wear a valved N95 with paper right now until we get this data. My read on it is that Pfizer wears off slightly sooner than Moderna. This is likely due to a combo of two things:

1) Moderna's second dose is 3X larger than Pfizer's and produced more side effects, so possibly more immune response. 

2) Moderna's second dose is delivered a week later than Pfizer. There is evidence this induces a stronger immune response. A couple of papers on this recently came out. 

It will be a temporary boost and it may not even be a real signal. Pfizer was used earlier and in other countries that have been have been looking for breakthrough infections, while we really haven't been collecting the data until very recently. I strongly doubt it's much more than an extra month. 

Both of them would be fine against Alpha, or Beta at the 6 month mark. It's Delta and some of the other variants packing nasty combinations of mutations that are the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

He didn’t say he regrets signing this bill into law. He said he “wish[es]” that it “had not become law” as if the only power he, as governor, had to protect the health of his constituents was to throw a penny down a well, cross his fingers, and blow an eyelash into the air.

fwiw, the governor of arkansas, along with the governors of alabama, tennessee, kentucky, indiana, and west virginia, doesn't really have veto power.  only takes a simple majority in the legislature of those states to override. 

This is why I keep encouraging people to wear a valved N95 with paper right now until we get this data. My read on it is that Pfizer wears off slightly sooner than Moderna. This is likely due to a combo of two things:
1) Moderna's second dose is 3X larger than Pfizer's and produced more side effects, so possibly more immune response. 
2) Moderna's second dose is delivered a week later than Pfizer. There is evidence this induces a stronger immune response. A couple of papers on this recently came out. 
It will be a temporary boost and it may not even be a real signal. Pfizer was used earlier and in other countries that have been have been looking for breakthrough infections, while we really haven't been collecting the data until very recently. I strongly doubt it's much more than an extra month. 
Both of them would be fine against Alpha, or Beta at the 6 month mark. It's Delta and some of the other variants packing nasty combinations of mutations that are the problem. 

Why would you encourage wearing valved mask?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hot Wheels and the Texas Education Agency ain't going to do shit unless kids start ending up in the hospital in larger numbers than last year.

Abbott has to be more afraid of the parents of the 4-5 million students in Texas under the age of twelve, than the 1.5 million Republicans who vote in the Republican gubernatorial primary next year.

They aren't going to do shit, no matter what. This is going to be an uncontrolled burn while the GQP bitches that someone should have raked the forests. 

If you are under the delusion that Covid doesn't infect kids, dissuade yourselves of it now. It's never been true, but it's absurd to take that position with Delta. It's going to do really bad things in places that have banned mask mandates and require in-person schooling. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-03/idaho-sees-surge-in-covid-19-infections-in-babies-and-toddlers

The current pace is 53 per 100,000 children from newborn to age 4, up from 16 per 100,000 two weeks ago, Kathryn Turner, deputy state epidemiologist at the Idaho Division of Public Health, said during an online briefing Tuesday.

https://www.fox8live.com/2021/08/02/children-make-up-more-than-2000-new-covid-19-cases-reported-louisiana/

Of the more than 11,000 new cases reported after the weekend, more than 2,000 are children...

An internal state report shows kids 0 to 4 account for 471 of the new cases and children ages 5 to 17 account for 1,608.

There's tons of others, but the GQP is once again proving they only care about kids until they are out of the womb. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Boise ISD unanimously implemented a mask mandate for the coming school year. Really happy about this and this will help to identify the dumb fucks who protest it on the first day of school.

Don’t want another year of virtual school, and my kids would rather wear a mask and be in the classroom.

I've lived in Texas my whole life and I read this and it was actually hard to imagine living in a state that actually used common sense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

re: breakthrough cases:

In my personal experience, 3/3 of the fully vaccinated people who got sick with COVID all had the Pfizer vaccine. They also all got their vaccines early-ish in Feb/March. My cousin, my FIL, and now my manager all popped positive 3+ months after their second Pfizer shot. And now our team's happy hour on Friday is cancelled. Goddamnit.

Just now, Born to Run said:
13 minutes ago, Pods said:

Why would you encourage wearing valved mask?

wear a valved N95 with paper

Thanks, I wasn't clear enough, but can't edit it.

Wear a paper mask over it. That filters your exhaust and is still way more comfortable for you. 

I wear the top mask with paper ones similar to the ones below. 

hhttps://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-8511-N95-Sanding-and-Fiberglass-Valved-Respirator-15-Pack-8511H15-DC-PS/206408974

ttps://www.homedepot.com/p/MACHIMPEX-Disposable-Face-Masks-50-Pack-DM587507/313893843#overlay

17 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I've lived in Texas my whole life and I read this and it was actually hard to imagine living in a state that actually used common sense.

Its shocking coming from Idaho as well, though we might be the only district in the state doing this. 

30 minutes ago, Captainant said:

re: breakthrough cases:

In my personal experience, 3/3 of the fully vaccinated people who got sick with COVID all had the Pfizer vaccine. They also all got their vaccines early-ish in Feb/March. My cousin, my FIL, and now my manager all popped positive 3+ months after their second Pfizer shot. And now our team's happy hour on Friday is cancelled. Goddamnit.

Oh cool, so I'm fucked.

• Like 2

I was just on H. Scott Apley's FB page.  It's what you would expect.  Apparently, his son Reid is very, very young, like a toddler.  It makes me sad to think that he's going to go through his life without knowing a dad. Also, H. Scott Apley was tweeting normally on July 30th, so this thing hit him hard and fast.  And, in a final ironic twist, it appears that H. Scott Apley is now represented by Democrats:

H. Scott Apley.jpg

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

7 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

We got to be a part of this when they canceled our flight home from Kauai 3 hours before boarding. Fun times!

A former FWST co-worker said his direct flight from NYC to DFW turned into a 3-hour layover in Columbus, OH

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

image.thumb.png.0eb4acd404ac301b2cab92c0af493029.png

Talk about FAAFO

giphy.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I was just on H. Scott Apley's FB page.  It's what you would expect.  Apparently, his son Reid is very, very young, like a toddler.  It makes me sad to think that he's going to go through his life without knowing a dad. Also, H. Scott Apley was tweeting normally on July 30th, so this thing hit him hard and fast.  And, in a final ironic twist, it appears that H. Scott Apley is now represented by Democrats:

H. Scott Apley.jpg

At least his dumb ass can't vote anymore.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158571308733089&set=a.10150182702103089

His FB page has turned into a 30-car pileup