CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

So how does enforcement and verification work? I’ve already heard of people forging the vaccine cards

Given American's (irrational) fear of being tracked, there isn't a simple method to stop fraudulent cards. There are digital passports that can link to certain healthcare systems' data portals but many people received vaccines outside of those systems. Most likely digital passports also work with just a picture of the vaccine card, which can create even more opportunity for fake passports.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So how does enforcement and verification work? I’ve already heard of people forging the vaccine cards

You know, the honor system. 

Uh, what country do you think this is?

image.jpeg.c3e61f7b6681dd6ec7c625c513b588a3.jpeg

Edited by brakeman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My vaccination card has the info hand written in.  Between the 1st and 2nd shots it got kind of wrinkled.  When I went in for my second, I asked if they could just give me a new one.  Instead they gave me an extra blank card and told me I could transfer the info myself if I wanted.

I chose not to and just laminated the wrinkled card.  Not sure where the blank one is, but that didn't seem like a smart move just giving me one like that.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is absolutely happening. I see never-vaxxers openly telling others to just buy bogus/forged vax cards online.

28 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

My vaccination card has the info hand written in.  Between the 1st and 2nd shots it got kind of wrinkled.  When I went in for my second, I asked if they could just give me a new one.  Instead they gave me an extra blank card and told me I could transfer the info myself if I wanted.

I chose not to and just laminated the wrinkled card.  Not sure where the blank one is, but that didn't seem like a smart move just giving me one like that.

I didn't laminate my card because of the thought a booster might be necessary -- seems like that's coming. I think they recommend making a copy of it and laminating the copy if you want.

Given American's (irrational) fear of being tracked, there isn't a simple method to stop fraudulent cards. There are digital passports that can link to certain healthcare systems' data portals but many people received vaccines outside of those systems. Most likely digital passports also work with just a picture of the vaccine card, which can create even more opportunity for fake passports.
I remember when I got my second vaccine scanning my card and then putting it in my safe with my passport and thinking it would be a super important document to me. I've used my passport thrice, since then but not the card.
Freedumbs

18 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So my GQP father, vaccinated, is in the hospital for blood clots. Barely any attention, rooms, because of the covid cases in Florida.

Maddening.

I feel like I have read a decent amount on the board recently about blood clots. Is this entirely unrelated, or is it something connected to covid? 

• Like 1

COVID can cause all kinds of wacky coagulopathies in people, leading to strokes, internal bleeding, deep vein thromboses, pulmonary emboli, etc., and on up to a condition called disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC), which is where your blood is rapidly clotting and hemorrhaging at the same time in different parts of your body because everything is so fucked up. When we draw blood from a COVID patient, it often looks almost black and is incredibly viscous, due to the lack of oxygenation and the wild clotting pathways that are being disrupted by the virus. 

Then the AZ vaccine led to a handful of people getting blood clots which is what made the US stop its usage, despite birth control causing thousands and thousands of more cases of clots per year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I really wish the federal government and CDC would have a federal vaccine database and there was a national COVID passport. But that makes WAY too much fucking sense.

it's so frustrating that we cannot seem to take a collective common fucking sense approach to this thing. just some common fucking sense.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I really wish the federal government and CDC would have a federal vaccine database and there was a national COVID passport. But that makes WAY too much fucking sense.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

it's so frustrating that we cannot seem to take a collective common fucking sense approach to this thing. just some common fucking sense.

If we had a national database of vaccinated individuals the rates would even be lower given many people's fear of being tracked by the govt. Think about the undocumented population. The last thing they want is to be on a govt list.

The unrealistic hope was that almost everyone would rush to get the vaccine so tracking individuals would be a wasted and unnecessary effort. We also had 2 drastically different administrations in that time frame not that I think Biden wants a national vaccinated list either.

Earlier had mentioned my dumb fat brother in law going to the hospital with covid. He's home, but on oxygen still. So, hopefully that's a good sign.

Now his mom and stepdad have it as well as his half brother who has been visiting for the summer (who is still a teenager and hopefully not a huge risk). Mom is vaccinated, stepdad we *think* is vaccinated but if not that guy is fucking toast.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Whoever thought the card should be too big to fit into a wallet should be shot into the sun.

This just in: fold it in half.

I don’t disagree with your sentiment, however. See also:  DOT medical cards, which must be kept on your person if operating a DOT vehicle, or even bigger than the vaccination cards. These folks Must be from the same doctorate program.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

COVID can cause all kinds of wacky coagulopathies in people, leading to strokes, internal bleeding, deep vein thromboses, pulmonary emboli, etc., and on up to a condition called disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC), which is where your blood is rapidly clotting and hemorrhaging at the same time in different parts of your body because everything is so fucked up. When we draw blood from a COVID patient, it often looks almost black and is incredibly viscous, due to the lack of oxygenation and the wild clotting pathways that are being disrupted by the virus. 

Then the AZ vaccine led to a handful of people getting blood clots which is what made the US stop its usage, despite birth control causing thousands and thousands of more cases of clots per year.

tenor.gif?itemid=16742325

Just got back from my first Covid test.  Results in 48 hours.  I got J&J back in March and last week bumped it up with a shot of Pfizer.

Started feeling a little off on Friday and then realized I couldn't taste or smell.  Haven't really felt too bad otherwise, aside from a little sinusy congestion stuff.  Feel a little achy-fluey today though.  Wondering how much is just mental at this point.  Can't WAIT for my results.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Excelsior pass. When you got a vaccine in NYS it was registered with the state. This app validates your info and allows you to download a QR code.

So what is the expected distance of the tin foil hat to fly when  it pops off these peoples heads? Lol.  They are already reluctant to get the vaccine, and then you think they’re going to be real cool with having their name entered in a database?

I personally don’t give a fuck, but that’s going to be an even bigger sticking point for some.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

This is absolutely happening. I see never-vaxxers openly telling others to just buy bogus/forged vax cards online.

I didn't laminate my card because of the thought a booster might be necessary -- seems like that's coming. I think they recommend making a copy of it and laminating the copy if you want.

I made a double sided photocopy of my card, which I laminated.  I keep the original at the house and can use it for a third dose if and when that becomes available/necessary.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
43 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

How will this work for out of towners? I've got Billy Joel tickets at the Garden.

Buy why gif

That guy solved the touring riddle.  Just take a 30 minute helicopter ride from Long Island to MSG every few weeks and bank $$$ like it's going out of style.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

tenor.gif?itemid=16742325

Just got back from my first Covid test.  Results in 48 hours.  I got J&J back in March and last week bumped it up with a shot of Pfizer.

Started feeling a little off on Friday and then realized I couldn't taste or smell.  Haven't really felt too bad otherwise, aside from a little sinusy congestion stuff.  Feel a little achy-fluey today though.  Wondering how much is just mental at this point.  Can't WAIT for my results.

Best of luck, dude.  This Friday will be two weeks for me since boosting the J&J with the moderna shot.   And thanks to trauma babe I ordered different masks to arrive soon.  Wearing my lame cloth ones in the meantime, but only indoors for groceries and very spacious gym at this point.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
i can't type
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, slorch said:

So what is the expected distance of the tin foil hat to fly when  it pops off these peoples heads? Lol.  They are already reluctant to get the vaccine, and then you think they’re going to be real cool with having their name entered in a database?

I personally don’t give a fuck, but that’s going to be an even bigger sticking point for some.

They can get over it or they can stay at home. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I feel like I have read a decent amount on the board recently about blood clots. Is this entirely unrelated, or is it something connected to covid? 

Yeah, as we learned last year COVID is more of a vascular disease than respiratory. The MAGAts that work for my FIL, including one never-vaxxer who got COVID this spring (her husband was in really bad shape at the same time) answered my wife retelling my story about the good friend's wife who got blood clots in her brain with a question, "Was she vaccinated?" My wife said she was. "See. It's from the vaccine." SMGDH

• Rage+1 1

Florida and Texas accounted for one-third of all new U.S. coronavirus cases last week, White House says

WASHINGTON — States with low vaccination rates are driving a new coronavirus wave sweeping over the nation, with the much more transmissible Delta strain filling hospitals across the southern U.S.

Two states, Texas and Florida, stand out as hot spots, accounting for a full third of all new cases nationwide last week, White House pandemic response coordinator Jeff Zients revealed during a Monday press briefing. Over the weekend, Florida had the unwelcome distinction of breaking a national record, reporting 21,000 new cases, the most for one day in the state since the pandemic began in early 2020.

“From the start, we’ve known this virus is unpredictable,” Zients said. Last month, President Biden all but declared victory over the coronavirus, saying in a July 4 speech that it “no longer paralyzes our nation.” Even then, however, the Delta variant was proliferating with increasing speed across the country. The president’s triumphalism has been called premature, giving people a false sense of security.

Republican governors like Ron DeSantis of Florida and Greg Abbott of Texas had not waited for Biden to herald the pandemic’s end, with DeSantis in particular having spent much of the summer basking in conservative adulation over his handling of the pandemic. Criticism of that approach has grown louder of late, especially as localities seek to impose new mask mandates in keeping with new guidance issued last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

DeSantis and Abbott have vigorously fought such mandates in recent days, reviving a long-simmering culture war. Public health experts, meanwhile, say that masks can help blunt the one advantage the Delta variant appears to enjoy: its increased transmissibility.

full article.

How will this work for out of towners? I've got Billy Joel tickets at the Garden.
You can show your paper version. FYI, a photo of it with your photo ID usually works.

I personally don't like that. I think there SHOULD be a centralized PANDEMIC VACCINE database, but people are too fucking stupid to realize why that makes a shitload of sense. Just like they think getting the vaccine is a personal fucking choice.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, trauma babe said:

52 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, as we learned last year COVID is more of a vascular disease than respiratory. The MAGAts that work for my FIL, including one never-vaxxer who got COVID this spring (her husband was in really bad shape at the same time) answered my wife retelling my story about the good friend's wife who got blood clots in her brain with a question, "Was she vaccinated?" My wife said she was. "See. It's from the vaccine." SMGDH

Well this is fucking concerning 

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

my covid vaccine is in the state of Texas vaccine records