Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

Some baseball expert was saying on the Will Cain show that he has roughly 3-4 years to make it to the bigs or he likely won’t.

So would it be possible for a team to spend a 6-7 round pick on him to retain his rights in the NFL? How does that work?

Ask Roger Staubach, Herschel Walker, & Chad Hennings if that's possible.

Edited by Napoleon

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They've done nothing before  

Beau Vine beat me to it, and I 100 percent agree with everything else in that post, but back when African American high schools were dominant in HS ball, Madison was on a tier just below Yates and Carter. When I was playing in Houston in the mid-'80s, we feared even the prospect of playing them only slightly less than the Lions of Jack Yates. (Wasn't gonna happen -- I went to a private, and the publics we scheduled were 4A's like CE King, Crosby, Galena Park and Channelview. Humblebrag: We even beat Galena Park one time.) We did gladly schedule them in baseball though, and they were so terrible I managed to strike out the side in my lone inning as a HS pitcher. 

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

He has every tool needed to be a phenom.

While I am still in full pedant mode, I will point out that he is too old to be a phenom as a baseball player. A phenom is someone like Carlos Correa who everyone knows is destined for stardom while they are still a teenager. See also Ken Griffey Jr.  As said several times before on this thread, Kyler is still a project even now. 

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Agreed. I watched him all throughout high school and was a big fan. He's a TX HSFB legend. Dude is fucking good. Regardless of if he plays in Norman, he's fun to watch. I think he will do just fine against Bama's defense. They have not played an offense even close to OU's offense this year. 

I don't give a fuck what he does after his football days in baseball. But that is a totally different animal than football. It takes tons of patience and grind to make it up to the big leagues. As opposed to the NFL you are on a pro team and in the spotlight right away, especially at QB these days. You will get more money sooner in the NFL rather than baseball. The potential income is a lot more in MLB and your career is longer but you have to get to that point, which most do not. I am going to assume Murray would play OF with his range and speed? But by most accounts, he is not a power hitter. So not sure what kind of career and earning potential he will have with those tools.

Yeah I wonder how his ego is gonna take that grind. Those bus rides from one shithole town to another and all the meals at Denny's or IHOP, and that's on feast nights. All those Motel 6's....His impoverished Latin teammates heating up ramen noodles in the motel microwave. He's been pampered his whole life and it shows in his demeanor on the sidelines. Other bonus babies have done it before, but I can't think of one who came from as much privilege as he has. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

What did you mean to write?

I'm trying to figure it out, but I'm lost.

Thanks in advance. 

That was what I meant to write. Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is s stat used to estimate how many runs a player is worth over a season; runs can be converted to team wins. Common parlance among baseball writers is "he was worth x wins" or "had a x-win season." Some variation of WAR is pretty much how all MLB clubs evaluate players. An 8-WAR season is an MVP-caliber year.

It was mentioned that Murray has been compared to Rickey Henderson, who is an inner-circle hall of famer. Murray may have that sort of physical ability, but baserunning isn't just about speed and hitting isn't just about hand-eye coordination. I've contended that Murray is costing himself money by delaying his baseball career; if we are using Rickey fucking Henderson as a comp, it should be noted that Rickey was already an MVP-caliber player at age 21, while Murray was playing football at 21. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Beau Vine beat me to it, and I 100 percent agree with everything else in that post, but back when African American high schools were dominant in HS ball, Madison was on a tier just below Yates and Carter. When I was playing in Houston in the mid-'80s, we feared even the prospect of playing them only slightly less than the Lions of Jack Yates. (Wasn't gonna happen -- I went to a private, and the publics we scheduled were 4A's like CE King, Crosby, Galena Park and Channelview. Humblebrag: We even beat Galena Park one time.) We did gladly schedule them in baseball though, and they were so terrible I managed to strike out the side in my lone inning as a HS pitcher. 

While I am still in full pedant mode, I will point out that he is too old to be a phenom as a baseball player. A phenom is someone like Carlos Correa who everyone knows is destined for stardom while they are still a teenager. See also Ken Griffey Jr.  As said several times before on this thread, Kyler is still a project even now. 

Yeah I wonder how his ego is gonna take that grind. Those bus rides from one shithole town to another and all the meals at Denny's or IHOP, and that's on feast nights. All those Motel 6's....His impoverished Latin teammates heating up ramen noodles in the motel microwave. He's been pampered his whole life and it shows in his demeanor on the sidelines. Other bonus babies have done it before, but I can't think of one who came from as much privilege as he has. 

He's also been banging 10's as BMOC and it'll be an adjustment to start banging a single mom in Des Moines.  Welcome to AA ball.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Oh no worries. I drift into pedant mode often.

I think you know what I meant though - age isn't a tool. If that's what holds him back so be it, but the kid isn't lacking athleticism, ability, talent or drive. 

And Rickey Henderson? I agree. C'mon now. 

His comp is Neon Deion. Should he choose to stick with baseball - he will have the advantage of focusing on one sport. Deion's best season he slugged .495 with 26 bags and actually led the NL in triples with 14 in just 97 games.

Kyler is TOTALLY capable of that. If you choose to think otherwise and continue to doubt this kid (not saying you are) be my guest. I've seen enough film on him playing football that it wouldn't surprise me if he's a fringe all-star center fielder or golden glove winner in 5-6 years.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

His comp is Neon Deion. Should he choose to stick with baseball - he will have the advantage of focusing on one sport. Deion's best season he slugged .495 with 26 bags and actually led the NL in triples with 14 in just 97 games.

Kyler is TOTALLY capable of that. If you choose to think otherwise and continue to doubt this kid (not saying you are) be my guest. I've seen enough film on him playing football that it wouldn't surprise me if he's a fringe all-star center fielder or golden glove winner in 5-6 years.

Oh yeah, he doesn't get selected that high without the ability to get to that level. To me, that's exactly why he should be playing baseball full-time...because it'll maximize his chance to get to that level, and more quickly.

He has the type of athleticism that could allow him to stay on an MLB roster even if the bat is average, but speed and defense peak early for baseball players. One lower-body injury could diminish his speed/explosiveness. Unless he becomes a good hitter, even some decline in his speed at an early age could make a big difference in his career. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Oh yeah, he doesn't get selected that high without the ability to get to that level. To me, that's exactly why he should be playing baseball full-time...because it'll maximize his chance to get to that level, and more quickly.

He has the type of athleticism that could allow him to stay on an MLB roster even if the bat is average, but speed and defense peak early for baseball players. One lower-body injury could diminish his speed/explosiveness. Unless he becomes a good hitter, even some decline in his speed at an early age could make a big difference in his career. 

I'm a little higher on his hitting than others. 

In 2017 for the gooners he played in 27 games and slugged .122.

The next season he played in 51 games - slugged .556 and fielded .991.

You don't make a jump like that unless something special is going on. He's easy to hate as a Sooner QB - but goddamn this kid is captivating. 

I always think it's petty to cheer against OU professionals. It would be fun to see him light up the minors and get an early call up. 

Edited by ztejas
Now, if he finds his way to the Stros or Blue Jays he can go right back to fucking himself

18 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

An MLB-connected dude my dad knew told me Rickey got paid every week in cash. Like a suitcase of it would have to be delivered to his room. Rickey was no fan of banking. 

https://fingerfood.typepad.com/finger-food/appalachian-trail/

There are other perks, too. For instance, before the trip the players are handed $81 in cash for each day they are on the road. For the current trip through Tampa Bay, Toronto and Atlanta, each player was handed a little envelope with $891 cash. That’s for the players to spend on meals, sundry items and any other incidentals that pop up from time to time.

But here’s the thing – even though the players are given $81 in cold, hard cash in which to purchase food, the visiting clubhouses in every ballpark offer catered meals before and after the game as well as all the gum one can chew and all the sunflower seeds a guy can spit.

And guess what? It’s all gratis.

So why should a guy go spending all that cash when he can eat at the park for free? Maybe he’ll want to buy a souvenir at some museum gift shop instead.

Or, maybe he’ll just save all that cash the way Rickey Henderson used to. According to the legend, the newly elected Hall of Famer and all-time stolen base king used to collect those envelopes he was handed before road trips and stash them away in a big shoe box that he kept in the closet of his bedroom at home. As the story goes, whenever Rickey’s kids came home from school with a good report card, he told them to go into the closet and bring out the shoe box stuffed with per diem envelopes for a quick game of “Pick It.”

Rickey held the shoe box open and the kid with the good report card got to dip a hand in and pull out an envelope. Needless to say, the kids were all hoping to yank out one of those 11-day road trip stashes buried in the box.

• Like 1

Here's another Rickey money story:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/2008/08/25/crossing-paths-and-stealing-bases-with-rickey-henderson/

One other infamous Rickey story is totally true. Colorado Rockies PR man Jay Alves confirmed it when we were chatting in the Coors Field pres box a few months ago.

Did Rickey really fail to cash a $1 million check because he had it framed on his wall?

He really did. I’m not sure if it was a signing bonus or an advance, but a lady from the finance department noticed that it hadn’t been cashed three months after it was issued. So Alves, then with the A’s PR staff, asked Rickey what happened to it. He was so proud of his first million-dollar check that he framed it and put it on a wall in his house. He resisted the suggestion to cash it, too, saying it had sentimental value. So the team made him a replica and begged him to sign the original in order to balance their books.

Between the Bradford seems like he sucks thread, the Baker thread, and this one, I just hope we stop having ou WB callout threads in the future. It has t worked out well. 
Or how about the thread that said OU was about to go into a decline? And since that, 2 straight playoff appearances.
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, sidis said:
Between the Bradford seems like he sucks thread, the Baker thread, and this one, I just hope we stop having ou WB callout threads in the future. It has t worked out well. 

Or how about the thread that said OU was about to go into a decline? And since that, 2 straight playoff appearances.

As long as it's just appearances, I think we can weather the storm.

Although the meltdown if they win it all will be very entertaining.

3 hours ago, sidis said:

This thread was an improvement in that it didn't prematurely discount the possibility that Kyler was a damn good football player.

Murray, 21 now, joins several other famous athletes to find themselves thrust in a negative spotlight as a result of their old tweets resurfacing in the midst of big accomplishments.

I like how they claim Murray is now in a 'negative spotlight' despite the fact that there's been ONE article published on this an hour ago with no one else caring so far. Pretty dim spotlight...

Edited by satyanash

20 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

(Wasn't gonna happen -- I went to a private, and the publics we scheduled were 4A's like CE King, Crosby, Galena Park and Channelview. Humblebrag: We even beat Galena Park one time.)

Hate to burst your bubble, but Galena Park ISD has 2 high schools. Galena Park North Shore HS is the athletic powerhouse, 2 time state football champs and currently 14-0 and playing in the state semis next week.

Galena Park HS is, uh... a little different. I believe they've had 1 winning football season this decade. 

There's burgeoning hype being passed around in baseball circles regarding the prospect status of a one Kyler Murray. There were MLB teams in Norman this week who sat down with the guy and he's picking up a ton of contact. Much of this is sparked by the reality that KM has a decent toolkit put together that makes him projectable as a CF, which makes his valuable. Add to that that it looks like he's putting the tools together to have a decent season, and he's starting to draw a lot of interest. 
Murray was viewed as a prospect heading into his SR year in high school. He then warded any MLB teams off from drafting him, as he was tiny balls deep in Aggie at the time. Then, last season for the okies, Murray had an abysmal year and his prospect status fell of the radar. This year has changed that.
Now, don't get me wrong, there's probably going to be nothing to this. But maybe...
If Murray were to get drafted and leave OU, the choices are not pretty. They're left with Austin Kendall and Tanner Schafer to duke it out at QB heading into 2018. That would be the most potent duo since Ace and Gary. So basically, a highly drafted Kyler Murray would put a rough buttfuck on the Sooners. Of course they'll show up to tell me how wrong I am, but it wouldn't look pretty.
One other thing that's truly interesting about this situation is that Kyler Murray's uncle is Calvin Murray, the Longhorn baseball legend. Calvin works for, and closely with, Scott Boras. Kyler Murray's ability to maximize his upside in the draft is tied to a willingness to forego another punishing season as a college QB. Murray knows he has no NFL prospects as a QB and is enjoying the baseball season. It all could very well come down to how important it is for Kyler Murray to be the starting QB at OU. If that's not important and he continues to thrive on the diamond, the okies will be shitting themselves come August. 
What a shitty op.

12 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:
On 4/11/2018 at 3:02 PM, closetojumping said:
There's burgeoning hype being passed around in baseball circles regarding the prospect status of a one Kyler Murray. There were MLB teams in Norman this week who sat down with the guy and he's picking up a ton of contact. Much of this is sparked by the reality that KM has a decent toolkit put together that makes him projectable as a CF, which makes his valuable. Add to that that it looks like he's putting the tools together to have a decent season, and he's starting to draw a lot of interest. 
Murray was viewed as a prospect heading into his SR year in high school. He then warded any MLB teams off from drafting him, as he was tiny balls deep in Aggie at the time. Then, last season for the okies, Murray had an abysmal year and his prospect status fell of the radar. This year has changed that.
Now, don't get me wrong, there's probably going to be nothing to this. But maybe...
If Murray were to get drafted and leave OU, the choices are not pretty. They're left with Austin Kendall and Tanner Schafer to duke it out at QB heading into 2018. That would be the most potent duo since Ace and Gary. So basically, a highly drafted Kyler Murray would put a rough buttfuck on the Sooners. Of course they'll show up to tell me how wrong I am, but it wouldn't look pretty.
One other thing that's truly interesting about this situation is that Kyler Murray's uncle is Calvin Murray, the Longhorn baseball legend. Calvin works for, and closely with, Scott Boras. Kyler Murray's ability to maximize his upside in the draft is tied to a willingness to forego another punishing season as a college QB. Murray knows he has no NFL prospects as a QB and is enjoying the baseball season. It all could very well come down to how important it is for Kyler Murray to be the starting QB at OU. If that's not important and he continues to thrive on the diamond, the okies will be shitting themselves come August. 

What a shitty op.

Well, yeah, he thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is.

Free Willy is a classic example of someone that feels the need to demean others and prove his own intelligence by using big words and hanging on to whatever minimal self-credence is available. He's (unfortunately) not unlike a lot of UT grads in this regard.

Very smart people with glaring insecurity issues tend to do this. Just like the asshole in the bar in Good Will Hunting.

People that are actually genius-level intelligent know that it's a waste of time to try and demonstrate intellectual superiority over others because it should be readily self apparent. These persons tend to take discussions less seriously and not waste time attempting to pander to the above-average-intelligence audience. 

Free Willy is the 2nd person in my life that I have interacted with that displays this. To a T. And, shit, I give him credit for that. You have to be a special type of megalomaniac to fake being a genius and get away with it.

Free Willy has been a barracuda in a lake full of guppys his entire life, and when you throw this type of person into the ocean they blow up like a puffer fish and use everything in their power to try and populism their way towards righteousness. 

It's entertaining but ultimately sad. 

Then again, this is all meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Can't recall the name of the Woody Allen film but we all end up at the same garbage dump - intelligent, dumb, or just faking it along the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but Galena Park ISD has 2 high schools. Galena Park North Shore HS is the athletic powerhouse, 2 time state football champs and currently 14-0 and playing in the state semis next week.

Galena Park HS is, uh... a little different. I believe they've had 1 winning football season this decade. 

It was still a big deal for us -- first public we'd taken down in years. I didn't say this directly before, but we kinda sucked. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, hookem48 said:

we all know how this is gonna go, that little fuckwad is going to throw for 350 yds and 3 tds a game and be a Heisman candidate because God hates us for some reason.

not sure how anyone thought this was going to go any other way

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
12 hours ago, sidis said:

I hate OU with a passion as much as anyone, but damn if I let their success/failure make a shit of difference in my normal life.  I kind of feel sorry for anyone who does.  Not a good way to go through your day.

Fuck OU.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uncle Boobs said:
On 4/11/2018 at 3:02 PM, closetojumping said:

Read more  

What a shitty op.

Uh, what exactly was shitty? I wrote in April that he was trending towards a high draft pick and that OU’s season hinged on his choices given that premise. I guess all of that was old news for you at the time. Right.

I don’t mind being mocked. I was mocked on the first few pages of this thread where folks told me I was wrong and/or that Kyler Murray was irrelevant. That was all fun to read again. I do mind it when it has no fucking place. So take your weak shit and go fuck your own face with it or something.

The strategy for defending Murray isn't rocket science. Contain, make him step up in the pocket where his height becomes a massive massive liability as he can't see the field, balls start to sail etc..  A lot of college level talent defense could do neither consistently.  We did a pretty decent job last weekend keeping him contained (10 carries for 39 yards) but couldn't make him step up.  or collapse the pocket in his face. 

NFL teams would do both things with much higher frequency and sure Brees, Wilson are short but they are not Murray short.  Not to mention not to say he can't but has Murray ever really been forced to make decisions quickly and or fit balls in tight spaces...

He should stick with 2B exclusively

• Like 2