The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

12 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

RSQ8 is my replacement for the S6, I'm planning to move to a climate better suited for something slightly more SUV-like.

I still love the RS6, I just don't drive enough to justify one.  I only put 3-5k miles per year on my car.  RSQ8 is bad ass, too.  I do not understand why people will pay $100k more for a Urus.  I guess they like that bull, even though the car is ugly as fuck.

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Lulz. Guess someone on the business board was able to help you figure out how to value your share, and it’s better than you thought. Typically where the most business savvy go to get their answers about divestment, a college football board.  Please continue to flex your $60k Audi though, boss man. And not one but 2 Toyota’s?  I couldn’t be more impressed with your wealth.  

I'm not flexing my Audi at all.  It's only worth maybe $30k these days.  But I still love it.  Cars are depreciating assets.  They are fun, but they are a money loser.

Keep on making money for your boss.  Maybe he can buy a cool car with the money you make him, worker bee.

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

This.  And as a point of mention, BMW flat out LIES about their HP in their M cars for insurance purposes.  Beyond that, M cars are so much more than their HP numbers.  Same with Porsche.  It's all the engineering that puts all four wheels at optimum output for what you need.  If you are launching the car.  Or a track day.  Etc..

Those stupid Hellcat drivers who can't manage a RWD car and just sit there and smoke vs an AWD German sports car/sedan with launch control isn't even fair.  Buddy just got the new M3CS.  That car is stupid fast.  Another friend had a GTR tuned to 700hp and clocked a 2.2 on the draggy and he used to F with those Mustang/Hellcat/Charger dorks all the time.  He let me take it out on the track a few times.  Jesus.....GTRs just drive angry, especially when you downshift with the paddles.  

GTRs are fast as shit.  

• Drool 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

May or may not have got it up past 150mph on the lower level of 635 at night...."hypothetically"....

I think about 140 is the fastest I've gone.  Then I had visions of being thrown in jail and slowed down.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I think about 140 is the fastest I've gone.  Then I had visions of being thrown in jail and slowed down.

Terrified I was going to run up on a slower car around the turns.  I've gotten up faster on the track, but that was different.  Sadly, GTR was recently sold.  Guy has two daughters and the incentives with a car like that are just too great....and you make one mistake at speed...

Saw a video of a GTR turned t0 1600hp.  The stuff people do to those cars and others is mind bottling.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

May or may not have got it up past 150mph on the lower level of 635 at night...."hypothetically"....

Got my 1960 MGA Roadster up past 90mph on 183 north of Luling late one night about 60 years ago. 
The little crate was rattling & creaking, and the steering wheel shaking like a stripper with a cockleburr  in her g-string. 
So I came to my senses and slowed down to a potentially less disastrous speed.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Got my 1960 MGA Roadster up past 90mph on 183 north of Luling late one night about 60 years ago. 
The little crate was rattling & creaking, and the steering wheel shaking like a stripper with a cockleburr  in her g-string. 
So I came to my senses and slowed down to a potentially less disastrous speed.

I got a ticket in mine for doing 84mph uphill..  I was speeding but no way that MGA did 84 uphill

• Haha 1

It's theoretically possible to get a Mach 1 to 140 on the SH 130 but that toll can be kind of bumby in spots. It's also possible that the sheriff sitting on the side of the road didn't blink at 95 when passed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Out here on the west side of Houston - there is a n area of 99 right North of 90 that you can see far enough for cops and cars. It’s good up to 120 or so and then the road is a little wavy.

Anyone rent an exotic for a weekend? I have absolutely no reason to buy one and don’t want to deal with the upkeep. I would, however, like to drive a Ferrari for a weekend.

I got passed by a CT5 V Blackwing on far south mopac last night around 11:30. At least I think that's what it was. I was going 90 and it passed me like it was on a flyer and I was standing still. Shook my truck as it went by. It was just a white blur with blue flame jets coming out both exhaust tips. I don't know if those things come with valvetronic exhaust or if this guy had straight-piped this one, but it was loud AF. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I got passed by a CT5 V Blackwing on far south mopac last night around 11:30. At least I think that's what it was. I was going 90 and it passed me like it was on a flyer and I was standing still. Shook my truck as it went by. It was just a white blur with blue flame jets coming out both exhaust tips. I don't know if those things come with valvetronic exhaust or if this guy had straight-piped this one, but it was loud AF. 

As a CT4 Blackwing owner, yes to the valvetronic exhaust, same as most GM performance products now. From the factory, only the cat is in the way, when open.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fastest I’ve done on the street is 120 mph in a 1985 Honda prelude. That car had no ground effects and nearly lifted off the ground with the velocity of air rushing underneath it. I was 17. 

Age 48, I did 150 mph and hit the regulator on a track day in the number 42 Target car…

IMG_9306.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On the streets 150-160 in several cars. Dumbest thing ever was I did a cannonball run from 59 and beltway to Pearland parkway with another GT3 on a Saturday morning  and we were above 150 most of the time.  As dumb as that was, it would have been awesome to be in a car in the right lane as we flashed by with engines roaring.  

On the track, 181 back straight of COTA in a F8.  

I definitely don’t condone that kind of behavior on the streets.  It’s dumb   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I posted a while back looking for advice on my wife's next SUV - finally convinced her to look at low mileage X5s and she's thrilled. Almost jumped at an MDX but she hated that touchpad. 

What I didn't plan on was trading out of my Model 3 for this a few weeks later...

Takes me back to my old G35x. Just a fuck of a lot faster.  

image.thumb.png.a22fcf8d9177432010b23ca7f9b7f4c1.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, G650 said:

I hit about a buck fifty in my mom's old C4 when I was in high school. With 3 people in it no less.

That makes me think about the 6 HS kids in FL in the brand new M5 daddy bought. They decided to take it to an old airport runway at night and find out how fast it would go. Well, they found out all right right before they all ended up dead.

I never speed. One time I was driving from Houston to Austin and my speedometer hit 78 in the 75 mph zone. I had to pull over and remind myself not to get over the speed limit.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, vicerous said:

I posted a while back looking for advice on my wife's next SUV - finally convinced her to look at low mileage X5s and she's thrilled. Almost jumped at an MDX but she hated that touchpad. 

What I didn't plan on was trading out of my Model 3 for this a few weeks later...

Beautiful car. G30 is the best looking 5 series ever. BMW screwed the pooch with the G60, just like they have with so many of their new models. I don't know why you're talking about your Infiniti and posting a picture of a BMW though?

On 2/6/2024 at 12:55 PM, Chewbacca said:

I pegged the speedometer on an 87 Mustang GT.  I think 135 was what it maxed out at, but that was a few bourbons ago. That car wasn’t exactly smooth north of 100.  Also made it from Austin (MLK/35) to downtown Dallas  (Woodall Rogers exit) in just under 2 hours my freshmen year in a 1987 Supra.  Since my days of youthful stupidity ended, I think the fastest I’ve gone was about 110 in the wife’s G37 on a trip to Ruidoso.  That was by accident.  Desolate west Texas highways can lull you into a bit of a trancelike state.  Snapped out of it when she asked me how fast I was going.  I told her 90. Sorry babe, it just got away from me a little bit there.  Won’t happen again.

5 hours ago, Hard Times said:

Beautiful car. G30 is the best looking 5 series ever. BMW screwed the pooch with the G60, just like they have with so many of their new models. I don't know why you're talking about your Infiniti and posting a picture of a BMW though?

Straight out of college I bought that mentioned g35x that I couldn't afford to maintain on a stupidly high rate. Started dropping oil after a few years and went downhill from there. Always missed it so the 340i was too much to resist. 

Brings back old memories.  Big Bend Open Road Challenge 1999.  Drove a heavily modded Supra TT on R1 race tires.  DPS closed off a 60 mile section of highway for speed testing.  174 thru the radar guns they set up.  Next day was the race.  Road closed off from Fort Stockton to Sanderson and back again.   I drove in the 125 mph class which at the time was the highest class you could drive in without a roll cage.    Came in at 125.86 and was 4th in my class.  Very fun.  No electronic aids allowed to control speed.  Got a race book with mileage markers.  Had a navigator that used the book, a stop watch and calculator to measure speed.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I pegged the speedometer on an 87 Mustang GT.  I think 135 was what it maxed out at, but that was a few bourbons ago. That car wasn’t exactly smooth north of 100.  Also made it from Austin (MLK/35) to downtown Dallas  (Woodall Rogers exit) in just under 2 hours my freshmen year in a 1987 Supra.  Since my days of youthful stupidity ended, I think the fastest I’ve gone was about 110 in the wife’s G37 on a trip to Ruidoso.  That was by accident.  Desolate west Texas highways can lull you into a bit of a trancelike state.  Snapped out of it when she asked me how fast I was going.  I told her 90. Sorry babe, it just got away from me a little bit there.  Won’t happen again.

I’ve gotten our macan to 105-110 intentionally on some of those roads. It was made for that. Best touring vehicle I’ve ever owned. 

I'm glad I got the sports car bug outta the way over the past quarter century. I'm really enjoying having my Accord right now. Smoooooooove.

Closer to having it properly labeled... would've had the license plate on today but apparently I sent the DMV the wrong fee amount. Meh.

100% agree on Elon and his shit. That said, the fiancée just bought a model y. She’s the perfect electric car owner, works from home, never takes road trips (that’s what my truck is for) Honestly, it’s a pretty damn good car for that. FWTW.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa…

You’re getting married again?

On 2/8/2024 at 11:13 PM, vicerous said:

Welcome to the B58 family!  I also had a G35 sedan back in the day lol

PXL_20231209_001813559.thumb.jpg.058c1ba0051f6c4cec247289d091d341.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3