Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
3 hours ago, Red Five said:
What time did the Lousiana game kick off two years ago? That's the hottest I've ever been in that stadium. Think it was some goofy kick time like 1:30.

It was hot AF I know that, me and Mrs. MM made that trip and she bout killed me in the 2nd half.

We had to move into empty seats in the shade at halftime. I'm not sure I would have lived otherwise. 

1 hour ago, vtaenz said:

2003 Arkansas was miserable. That heat was burned more than anything, like Matt Jones burning Reed Boyd on a rollout.

UNT around 2008 or early 2010's I recall being awful as well.

Stanford 1999 was the most brutally hot game I remember.  It was an 11am kick, but it just got hotter and hotter as the game went along.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, vtaenz said:

2003 Arkansas was miserable. That heat was burned more than anything, like Matt Jones burning Reed Boyd on a rollout.

Who was the converted QB we had at LB at that time? I remember him taking some abuse as well.

Garnett Smith was questionable for that game and we never saw him again.

22 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Why can’t we kick off at 7:00 pm?  I know…tv, tv, tv….the tv folks can’t move it?  I’m not sitting out there again in that heat…especially for Rice.  CDC can’t do anything?  Is the contract in blood, or something?

Newsflash, we're not going to have any control over TV times in our new contracts either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Why can’t we kick off at 7:00 pm?  I know…tv, tv, tv….the tv folks can’t move it?  I’m not sitting out there again in that heat…especially for Rice.  CDC can’t do anything?  Is the contract in blood, or something?

Punishment

once we move to the sec our cupcakes will be whatever time we want just watch

UNT around 2008 or early 2010's I recall being awful as well.

I was hungover as fuck and arky fans were talking mad shit. And how did our D make a 6’8” QB look so elusive…

On 8/15/2023 at 6:11 PM, TexasMan said:

2009 UTEP was just about as brutal as the Bama game. Only difference was you could go back to your tailgait in the 2nd quarter after that poor UTEP punter got pulverized. 

This is the one that gets my vote, though I’ll also give an honorable mention to the aforementioned Stanford ‘99 game as well as Syracuse ‘93 (the last tie in Longhorns history)…

Edited by Ignatius

On 8/15/2023 at 12:10 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Stanford 1999 was the most brutally hot game I remember.  It was an 11am kick, but it just got hotter and hotter as the game went along.

I was there, but I don’t remember it being hotter than Route 66.  Maybe I was drunker at Stanford and us putting 10 touchdowns on them eased the pain from the heat.  Route 66 was as miserable off the field as it was on the field from what I remember.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I was there, but I don’t remember it being hotter than Route 66.  Maybe I was drunker at Stanford and us putting 10 touchdowns on them eased the pain from the heat.  Route 66 was as miserable off the field as it was on the field from what I remember.

You're conflating the weather with the game result.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah I don't see how they can't claim a weather delay to night for the Rice game is temp stays as predicted. You're talking 150-170 degree plus field temps.

Because you’ll have at least 80,000+ people in the stands and the game is OTA on FOX.

If it was on the Longhorn Network we’d just push the time, no “delay” needed.

21 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Because you’ll have at least 80,000+ people in the stands and the game is OTA on FOX.

I'm surprised this game isn't on the LHN. Usually our openers are, and at night. Irritating AF. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

If I was one of those 80,000 (I won't be) I'd rather sit there during a lightning storm than during those temps.  At least FOX can give props to the EMTs as they cart people from the stands from heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If I was one of those 80,000 (I won't be) I'd rather sit there during a lightning storm than during those temps.  At least FOX can give props to the EMTs as they cart people from the stands from heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

My seats aren't too far from the student section.  That is going to be a mass casualty event.

99 Stanford changed the policy on water. There was no free water available and there were like 100 heat stroke cases that day. Next week, you could get a cup of tap water if you asked at concessions, as opposed to forcing you to buy a bottle of water for like $5 (99 pricing obviously).

I recall the 98 (or also 99?) ksu game being very hot as well, plus it was the apple turnover and David allen punt return game so just a misreable 3 hours. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

I was at both of them and Stanford was hotter.  Then again, I was already back in San Antonio when the final gun went off on Route 66.

38 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I was at both of them and Stanford was hotter.  Then again, I was already back in San Antonio when the final gun went off on Route 66.

Yeah, by the second quarter I was hearing a lot of “fuck this, if we’re getting our ass kicked I'm going to sit in the A/C with a beer and watch.”

Edited by Horn Dogg

On 8/15/2023 at 2:10 PM, TrashMaster G said:

IMO 11am games are more brutal than 2:30pm games. The sun is directly overhead the whole game at 11:00am starts.

True, but the one nice thing about 11am kicks is tailgating is borderline pleasant.  80 degrees, can get shade with the right orientation.  By halftime, it's beyond brutal though.  2:30p game in early September just sucks ass all-around.  Tailgating sucks.  Game is too fucking hot and sunny.  Leaving the stadium is the literal hottest part of the day.  It's fucking stupid.  I think the Kansas State game in early November will be a night game and likely 1 of 2 tolerable games for us.  So let's look forward to that then...

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

True, but the one nice thing about 11am kicks is tailgating is borderline pleasant.  80 degrees, can get shade with the right orientation.  By halftime, it's beyond brutal though.  2:30p game in early September just sucks ass all-around.  Tailgating sucks.  Game is too fucking hot and sunny.  Leaving the stadium is the literal hottest part of the day.  It's fucking stupid.  I think the Kansas State game in early November will be a night game and likely 1 of 2 tolerable games for us.  So let's look forward to that then...

all this is compounded by 4 minute TV timeouts every 10 minutes that stretch the games to 4+ hours

Edited by yoladu
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

99 Stanford changed the policy on water. There was no free water available and there were like 100 heat stroke cases that day. Next week, you could get a cup of tap water if you asked at concessions, as opposed to forcing you to buy a bottle of water for like $5 (99 pricing obviously).

I e-mailed back and forth with Chris Plonsky for several days after that game. She was very cordial and they changed the policy. I was fine at that game, though pissed that there was no water available in the upper deck after halftime. People were falling out left and right.

I had no idea what a nasty cunt she actually was at the time.