2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

24 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So because I know how much Surly loves yard signs, I thought I'd share with you my thoughts and reflections on my trip today from Austin to Montgomery County.

It's Trumpy out there.  Like reaal fucking Trumpy.  But that doesn't surprise you, does it?

What surprises is when you get into the towns--Giddings, Brenham, Navasota--just how many Biden signs you see in people's front yards.  Like, a lot of them.  

"Now, GOLL," you say, "you must've been driving through the Black part of town."  And I imagine that Giddings, Brenham, and Navasota are probably pretty damned segregated.  And I will admit that one of the thoroughfares on which I was driving through Brenham was Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

But, at the same time, let's be real fucking honest here--in years past, Black people in Navasota didn't/couldn't vote.  They sure as shit didn't feel emboldened to put a sign in their yard (lest it be joined the following night by something else of the more flaming variety).  

As I have always said--yard signs don't vote.  So take from those observations what you will.  But as pointed out up-thread, every vote counts the same, whether it's in Travis County, Harris County, or Washington County.  And don't go thinking that the Trumpublicans are going to get to run up the score in some of those rural counties to the degree that they have done in the past.

I spent the last few days in Alabama and the FL panhandle.   I saw a surprising number of Biden signs.  Now, many yards had MULTIPLE Trump signs.  Biden signs were usually a 1-off deal, but I saw them.  I'd say Trump yards were more common by a 2-1 margin, but Biden yards were out there.  

Just now, henrygandorf said:

reading the 1st stat makes me want to be part of the 4th stat.

The 1st stat is no small part of why the 4th stat is growing like crazy.  It's an undeniable and clearly correlated shift.  Americans, particularly young Americans, are running as fast as they can from "religion," because the most visible manifestation of "religion" in this country is the 1st stat -- using "religion" as an excuse and a shield for cruelty, meanness, racism, all manner of absolute shittiness.

If you determine "hatred of religion" by the metric of "slashes the number of religious practitioners," hate to break it to Trump and the Trumpers -- nobody hates religion more than the evangelical base.

1 minute ago, Bookman said:

I voted against a state district judge today whom I know and respect. All because she’s a Republican. 

Republicans need to be taught a lesson that this shit is unacceptable. Your entire party is tainted.

FUCK YES.

I did it in 2018, I'm doing it now (in some other judicial races).  Sorry.  Association with the GOP is inexcusable and unforgivable.

9c9ed05acbfe3d0d5e492f0283c0d25d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I voted against a state district judge today whom I know and respect. All because she’s a Republican. 

Republicans need to be taught a lesson that this shit is unacceptable. Your entire party is tainted.

Yup.  I'm voting against them all.

Two years ago, there was a justice on our COA whom I've known as a friend for 15 years and whom I thought well of as a jurist.  I voted against him.  He lost.  I've never regretted it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Man--If you couldn't have a good time with long-haired LBJ, then I just don't know what to tell you.

LBJ Had Long Hair in the 1970s—But Why? - The Atlantic

I can’t even imagine the stories you could get out of him.   CSB but when I was at UT I did my senior thesis on the Vietnam War (yes, useless History major) and had access to all of his documents at the LBJ library upstairs for a semester.  It was awesome seeing documents from McNamara and others along with LBJ’s speeches and seeing LBJ’s hand written notes on these telling people to eat shit, go fuck themselves, and every other curse word you could think of.  Humanized him for me and gave me a window into what a bad ass he really was. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I think of down ticket Rs as weeds of Trumpism. They need to be pulled before they can continue spreading his dangerous bullshit.

The nation needs a resounding message sent to these fucking spineless idiots that there is no money or political career to be made from sounding like everyone's drunk uncle on Facebook. 

If that happens, because they are spineless and unprincipled, maybe they'll go back to the drawing board and come up with a platform that doesn't threaten the future of the American experiment. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s surprising to me. Lots of houston folks and austin folks moving to Wimberley and Dripping Springs. I wouldn’t have expected it to be so stark. 

True, but a shit ton of west coast libs have descended on Drip and Wimberley too.

Full stop.

Edited by Kermit
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Very much this.  See the elevation of Obama that has happened in the past four years.  A good enough man, an utterly mediocre president.  And I look back on his decency in comparison and it's hard not to shed a tear of admiration.  I didn't feel that way about him at the time (again, he is a decent man, but it's not like he was a saint who blew me away -- I know lots of decent men), but SWEET LORD, the contrast.

I think his elevation happened way before this current shitshow.  It simply validates it.  And it's always interesting to sort of make assessments of modern Presidents.  If Obama was mediocre, then who was really good?  W?  Please.  Clinton?  Most of his policies look a bit hollow with retrospect, although he had to work with Newt for awhile.  H?  Funny, he wasn't as bad as a single termer should have been.  Reagan?  OMFG, no.  His economic policies have proven to be the backbone of the biggest wealth and wage inequities in modern history.  So in the last 50-60 years, who's good?  It's an interesting question in the age of television.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think his elevation happened way before this current shitshow.  It simply validates it.  And it's always interesting to sort of make assessments of modern Presidents.  If Obama was mediocre, then who was really good?  W?  Please.  Clinton?  Most of his policies look a bit hollow with retrospect, although he had to work with Newt for awhile.  H?  Funny, he wasn't as bad as a single termer should have been.  Reagan?  OMFG, no.  His economic policies have proven to be the backbone of the biggest wealth and wage inequities in modern history.  So in the last 50-60 years, who's good?  It's an interesting question in the age of television.

Well in our entire history there's only been like 3 great presidents and a few good ones. Most have been average or forgettable and then some really terrible ones. Obama was average

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Can you still do a straight ticket pull or do you have to select each candidate?  

I did the mail in shit. So yeah I had to do all the fucking circles and shit but it felt pretty god damn mother fucking good. Some Glengarry GlenRoss shit. Felt like I was firing each of those cocksuckers and the only thing that’d make me happier is if I had a cooler of beer and a lawn chair to watch these assholes leaving their “office” as I laugh at the very deserved unemployment of these mother fuckers. Am I allowed to say I’d like to do the Mr. Blonde stuck in the middle with you thing to dotard and pence and kushner and Barr and....you get the point. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think GHWB and LBJ are both aging very well.

Clinton and Reagan are aging pretty poorly.

In light of Trump, Nixon--not really as awful as you thought?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

To GOLL’s point, my parents live in Gainesville.  Cooke County is always ruby red.  My parents (and my dad refuses to say the word trump and instead just says “45”) were surprised/shocked at the number of Biden signs in yards in Gainesville.  I asked which areas of town and what the told me equated to the old money areas of Gainesville.  I did not see any Clinton signs when visiting them in 2016.

But as I wrote on this board in 2018, I was surprised at the amount of Beto signs I saw in Gainesville both small yard signs and some houses had the large ass Beto signs. 

Now I hate my hometown and county with a passion, but I’m hoping to high hell this is a sign it won’t go 85/15 for trump like it does for every R candidate. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

To GOLL’s point, my parents live in Gainesville.  Cooke County is always ruby red.  My parents (and my dad refuses to say the word trump and instead just says “45”) were surprised/shocked at the number of Biden signs in yards in Gainesville.  I asked which areas of town and what the told me equated to the old money areas of Gainesville.  I did not see any Clinton signs when visiting them in 2016.

But as I wrote on this board in 2018, I was surprised at the amount of Beto signs I saw in Gainesville both small yard signs and some houses had the large ass Beto signs. 

Now I hate my hometown and county with a passion, but I’m hoping to high hell this is a sign it won’t go 85/15 for trump like it does for every R candidate. 

Gainesville........

I drive thru that crap hole at least 5 times a year to go to Winstar.

4 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Gainesville........

I drive thru that crap hole at least 5 times a year to go to Winstar.

Sir, that “crap hole” has a chick-fil-a now, so....

giphy.gif

(please burn the city down, but let my parents escape first.)

• Hook 'Em 2

So because I know how much Surly loves yard signs, I thought I'd share with you my thoughts and reflections on my trip today from Austin to Montgomery County.
It's Trumpy out there.  Like reaal fucking Trumpy.  But that doesn't surprise you, does it?
What surprises is when you get into the towns--Giddings, Brenham, Navasota--just how many Biden signs you see in people's front yards.  Like, a lot of them.  
"Now, GOLL," you say, "you must've been driving through the Black part of town."  And I imagine that Giddings, Brenham, and Navasota are probably pretty damned segregated.  And I will admit that one of the thoroughfares on which I was driving through Brenham was Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
But, at the same time, let's be real fucking honest here--in years past, Black people in Navasota didn't/couldn't vote.  They sure as shit didn't feel emboldened to put a sign in their yard (lest it be joined the following night by something else of the more flaming variety).  
As I have always said--yard signs don't vote.  So take from those observations what you will.  But as pointed out up-thread, every vote counts the same, whether it's in Travis County, Harris County, or Washington County.  And don't go thinking that the Trumpublicans are going to get to run up the score in some of those rural counties to the degree that they have done in the past.
Recently drove from Houston to Colorado. The first blue county we hit after leaving Harris was somewhere in New Mexico.

We were taken aback by the amount of Biden signs on 36 between 290 and Abeline. Places like Brenham, Caldwell, Cameron, and Hamilton. I'm under no illusion there's some blue wave brewing in these places but if the margin can just get below three to one, well, who knows.

Everything from Abeline to basically Albuquerque was Trump af and just made me really sad for those people.

Also, politics completely aside - I'd never been through Lubbock but wow what a shithole.

#csb
  • Hook 'Em 2

68 election is probably a good historical line to draw and is also pretty close to a clean 50 years.

I'd probably give Obama like a B- as a president but you could reasonably argue he's the best of the nine presidents since then. You can't really rank him lower than 4 of those 9 with a straight face. It's not been a great run, with the benefit of hindsight.

Going further back, comparisons get more difficult. He's obviously not Washington, Lincoln, or FDR, but I think his resume grades out as solid, though no doubt flawed.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Nixon was way better than trump but that’s a low bar.

Clinton was actually pretty good but nowhere near great, same as Obama and GHWB.

W was an awful president but a good dude. He never really wanted it anyway.  

Reagan was terrible but terribly effective. 

LBJ was great except oh yeah that whole Vietnam thing. Kind of takes the shine off. 

Basically we haven’t had a great president since FDR. Quite the drought. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Nixon was way better than trump but that’s a low bar.

Clinton was actually pretty good but nowhere near great, same as Obama and GHWB.

W was an awful president but a good dude. He never really wanted it anyway.  

Reagan was terrible but terribly effective. 

LBJ was great except oh yeah that whole Vietnam thing. Kind of takes the shine off. 

Basically we haven’t had a great president since FDR. Quite the drought. 

I'd argue Ike and Truman were on the low part of good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

He's got empathy. He knows what it is like to be a grandfather. They know he knows. You can't fake it. 

do you think the Trump campaign has internal polling that says these super spreader rallies are not a good look and are not winning over the folks he needs to win over?

Secondly, do you think they have told the president that?

Lastly, do you think they have told the president that, but he told them to fuck off, saying he knows better than anyone how to win elections.

(or is my entire conjecture erroneous? these rallies are just what Trump needs to make up ground in the next 3 weeks and shoot the inside electoral straight. Over at Texags land, they say the size of these rallies show that there is only enthusiasm for Trump, and zero for Biden. The polls are wrong again they say, just like they were in 2016)

Edited by yoladu
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, yoladu said:

do you think the Trump campaign has internal polling that says these super spreader rallies are not a good look and are not winning over the folks he needs to win over?

Secondly, do you think they have told the president that?

Lastly, do you think they have told the president that, but he told them to fuck off, saying he knows better than anyone how to win elections.

(or is my entire conjecture erroneous? these rallies are just what Trump needs to make up ground in the next 3 weeks and shoot the inside electoral straight. Over at Texags land, they say the size of these rallies show that there is only enthusiasm for Trump, and zero for Biden. The polls are wrong again they say, just like they were in 2016)

You never go full Texags ...

Never-Go-Full-Retard-300x247.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

No shit, nearly my entire family lives in Gainesville.

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Should I be slamming a sixer of tall boys while plowing through blunts on the first day of early voting? I’m not sure. That’s up to fictional god to decide. But for the first time in awhile, I can say I’m proud to be a Texan. I’ve always been proud to be a Longhorn, but aggy and tech and Baylor and cougar high....but god damn. If us “liberal elites” can hand Texas to Biden, I’ll throw my horns up and say I’m god damn proud to be a Texan. What starts here changed the world. No, @Johnny Sack, you and garage like aggy and Chance Mock need to bathe in the fucking shit you stupid mother fuckers have caused. You too, @slorch

@Wulaw Horn sorry buddy, you as well. Fuck you people for making our great state and our great university(sorry, @slorch) look like shit cause y’all are stuck in the 1800’s. Seriously. Go fuck yourselves! You pieces of shit led us to where we are. Now shut the fuck up and sit the next 40 years out. We gotta fix y’all’s astronomical fuck ups

Don't go to the football board or the Daily Texan board

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I’ve heard lots of people argue that Nixon could have been an all time great president, and also was way less conservative than he was made out to be, if he could have gotten his shit together on a personal level and not gotten in his own way. 
I have no real frame of reference on Nixon as I wasn’t born when he was president, and he’s not really old enough to have gotten a proper treatment from history as it’s sort of still too early for lots of that heavy lifting to be done. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve heard lots of people argue that Nixon could have been an all time great president, and also was way less conservative than he was made out to be, if he could have gotten his shit together on a personal level and not gotten in his own way. 
I have no real frame of reference on Nixon as I wasn’t born when he was president, and he’s not really old enough to have gotten a proper treatment from history as it’s sort of still too early for lots of that heavy lifting to be done. 

Both Nixon and Reagan are RINO libtards per current GOP definitions.

• Like 1

Anecdotal, but my very well off, right leaning dad in CO just intimated for the first time in my life who he's voting for.

This is the guy who wouldn't tell me when I was a child if he was voting for Carter or Ford.

They dropped their ballots off at the Laramie County court house in Ft Collins. They and their country club friends expect Biden to win "in a landslide. "

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Should I be slamming a sixer of tall boys while plowing through blunts on the first day of early voting? I’m not sure. That’s up to fictional god to decide. But for the first time in awhile, I can say I’m proud to be a Texan. I’ve always been proud to be a Longhorn, but aggy and tech and Baylor and cougar high....but god damn. If us “liberal elites” can hand Texas to Biden, I’ll throw my horns up and say I’m god damn proud to be a Texan. What starts here changed the world. No, @Johnny Sack, you and garage like aggy and Chance Mock need to bathe in the fucking shit you stupid mother fuckers have caused. You too, @slorch

@Wulaw Horn sorry buddy, you as well. Fuck you people for making our great state and our great university(sorry, @slorch) look like shit cause y’all are stuck in the 1800’s. Seriously. Go fuck yourselves! You pieces of shit led us to where we are. Now shut the fuck up and sit the next 40 years out. We gotta fix y’all’s astronomical fuck ups

Congrats and enjoy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

stay thirsty my friend.  

I never talk about you, and you call me out twice in a conversation in which I have not participated.   LOlz.

Hate on me all you want, for simply disagreeing on some politics.  IRL, I can assure you, my views on life, as well as my life decisions are not part of the problem.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back though.