Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here comes the shutdown.  Thanks, I guess.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/28/trump-politico-interview-1023306

So where the migrants "charged" the border, there is existing wall, there is an existing secure port of entry, and there were enough existing border patrol agents to man the tear gas guns. What exactly would he add there since he thinks that incident ups the need for border security?

16 hours ago, horncyclist said:

Holy shit. GOP conned into supporting the guy in favor of both protectionism AND command/control economy. 

easiest holiday convo topic when with family trump supporters. they get all mushy and lose their words when they realize the liberal asshole is more of a capitalist than they are. dumb asses. 

and also, actually knows WTF these terms and policies mean too. dumb asses

Edited by staboner

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is fucking horrifying.  Same thing is happening with real estate on the west coast of the US and Canada.  

East Coast too. Especially Manhattan. And not just the well-known money laundering luxury apartments. There is also a ridiculous amount of foreign money in new Manhattan commercial real estate. Same with Flushing Queens which has graduated from poor Chinatown to a booming wealthy Chinatown. 

Had no idea China was buying Syngenta.  They may pull off what we were afraid Japan was trying to do in the 80s.  In the end, Japan was just trying to sell us a different rug. China is trying to buy the rug we are already sitting on. 

Russia isn't a real player. They have individuals that look after their own individual self interest, but that ends up being an "American" way of doing things. At most, they fall in our Cheerios and ruin breakfast. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If Schumer gives ANYTHING for a border wall he's a fucking cunt.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

He is gonna fold for the hudson rail crossing. Doesnt matter though. They are gonna need the Dem house on board now and that aint happening. 

It's the weirdest thing.  They couldn't get jack shit done on it when it was Rs everywhere.  Now that Ds have the house they are talking about compromising?  

• Like 1

It's the weirdest thing.  They couldn't get jack shit done on it when it was Rs everywhere.  Now that Ds have the house they are talking about compromising?  
Sure, but I believe Schumer had offered something like this up before, but Drumpf stalled thinking he could get it all.

Is this that much different from the rumors being floated earlier this year?

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If Schumer gives ANYTHING for a border wall he's a fucking cunt.

All the money Schumer is offering is probably tied to prep work like surveying, planning, design, legal wranglings and organization.  He probably has people in those professions encouraging him to go along with the initial studying/planning portion so they can benefit, full knowing said plans will never be carried out.  Also, this shuts up the dotard for a while.

4 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

All the money Schumer is offering is probably tied to prep work like surveying, planning, design, legal wranglings and organization.  He probably has people in those professions encouraging him to go along with the initial studying/planning portion so they can benefit, full knowing said plans will never be carried out.  Also, this shuts up the dotard for a while.

Oh, so it's like the Fonz's kids in Parks and Rec.  Yeah, I'm not ok with that.

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh, so it's like the Fonz's kids in Parks and Rec.  Yeah, I'm not ok with that.

giphy.gif

Oh, I am not saying it's a good thing.  Just trying to come up with why schumer would even be offering anything.  Yeah, spending any kind of money on something that is foolishness is dumb.   Now if they approve the money, but put stipulations in that makes sure it never gets spent, that's another way this could be coming down. 

1 minute ago, pyrohornIII said:

Oh, I am not saying it's a good thing.  Just trying to come up with why schumer would even be offering anything.  Yeah, spending any kind of money on something that is foolishness is dumb.   Now if they approve the money, but put stipulations in that makes sure it never gets spent, that's another way this could be coming down. 

i saw a clarification the other day where he said it was basically just increased money for border security, not a wall per se.

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

i saw a clarification the other day where he said it was basically just increased money for border security, not a wall per se.

Makes more sense.  But then common sense coming out of DC is an outlier anymore, not the norm.  It's sad we tend to look first for the answer that lines the politician's pockets.  But then we are dealing with politicians and not statesmen.

That’s what it’s been in precious discussions. And physical barriers to some extent in some locations has been part of our border security for decades. Some of it will surely be for construction and maintenance of fencing etc - like it has been for decades.

24 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Sweet, so after all that bluster, it's just a philosophical wall and Mexico will metaphorically pay for it. 

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

East Coast too. Especially Manhattan. And not just the well-known money laundering luxury apartments. There is also a ridiculous amount of foreign money in new Manhattan commercial real estate. Same with Flushing Queens which has graduated from poor Chinatown to a booming wealthy Chinatown. 

Had no idea China was buying Syngenta.  They may pull off what we were afraid Japan was trying to do in the 80s.  In the end, Japan was just trying to sell us a different rug. China is trying to buy the rug we are already sitting on. 

Russia isn't a real player. They have individuals that look after their own individual self interest, but that ends up being an "American" way of doing things. At most, they fall in our Cheerios and ruin breakfast. 

Syngenta is bought. It also should be noted that they were Swiss, and Bayer bought Monsanto. So the only big American player left in Ag stuff on the chemical seed end is Corteva which was spun out of Dow/DuPont. 

50 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Schumer is offering someone because he's a dipshit that thinks putting up a show of being willing to negotiate will look good to some beltway media types like David Brooks and Chuck Todd who will then sell their audiences on voting for Democrats next cycle. It's fucking stupid and has never worked before, but that's no reason for Schumer to think it won't work this time!

40 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

The last tweet is very telling towards how these fascists think.  Cortez, a newly elected House member who hasn't even shown up yet should be tried for treason? Schumer?  For what reason?  In the mind of Trumpkins, anyone who doesn't 100% fall in line with God Emperor Trump is committing treason.

People can downplay it all they want, but this type of mindset is dangerous.  I can't understand why these people don't move to somewhere they'd be more comfortable like North Korea or China.

• Like 2

Just now, lemonlime said:

Is this even true?  He kept making up stories at rallies about a changing number of steel plants opening in the US.

http://ir.steeldynamics.com/profiles/investor/ResLibraryView.asp?ResLibraryID=89224&BzID=2197&g=681&Nav=0&LangID=1&s=0

it's true.

Steel Dynamics Announces a New Organic Flat Roll Steel Mill Investment
FORT WAYNE, Ind., Nov. ­­­26, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Steel Dynamics, Inc. (NASDAQ/GS: STLD) today announced that its Board of Directors has authorized the company to construct a new state-of-the-art, electric-arc-furnace (EAF) flat roll steel mill in the United States.  The facility is anticipated to have an annual production capacity of approximately 3.0 million tons with the capability to produce the latest generation of Advanced High Strength Steel products.  The project will include value-added finishing lines, including a galvanizing line with an annual capacity of 450,000 tons, and a paint line with an annual coating capacity of 250,000 tons.  The product offering is anticipated to include various flat roll steel products, including hot roll, cold roll, galvanized, Galvalume® and painted steel, primarily serving the energy, automotive, construction, and appliance sectors.  The current estimated investment is $1.7 billion to $1.8 billion, with anticipated direct job creation of approximately 600 well-paying positions, and numerous opportunities for indirect job growth from other support service providers.

of course, for some reason wall street hated the announcement and their stock fell by like 9% yesterday. diametrically opposite of how the street rewarded GM. 

that seems strange.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

The last tweet is very telling towards how these fascists think.  Cortez, a newly elected House member who hasn't even shown up yet should be tried for treason? Schumer?  For what reason?  In the mind of Trumpkins, anyone who doesn't 100% fall in line with God Emperor Trump is committing treason.

People can downplay it all they want, but this type of mindset is dangerous.  I can't understand why these people don't move to somewhere they'd be more comfortable like North Korea or China.

This post is like the Onboard bat signal. He'll be here withing a few minutes to explain why something Obama did is exactly like Trump calling for his political opponents to be jailed and tried for treason.

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Their stock also dropped nearly 10% upon announcing their plans for this mill.

here's a decent analysis:

So what
Construction isn't expected to begin until 2020, and the full $1.7 billion or $1.8 billion won't be spent before operations commence "in the second half of 2021." However, investors aren't waiting around to punish Steel Dynamics for investing in a steel market subject to apparently arbitrary price and demand swings at the whim of a president's trade war.

Now what
As much as I hate to say it, I can't really blame investors for their reaction. 2020-21 is right around the time the next U.S. presidential election could upend the system of steel tariffs that's currently making it a bit more attractive to make domestic steel investments such as the one Steel Dynamics just announced. What's more, there's a risk those tariffs could vanish even sooner, re-flooding U.S. metals markets with a torrent of cheap Chinese steel, should President Trump strike the right trade deal with China before his term expires.

It's sad to say, but in times of uncertainty like these, it doesn't always pay to invest in the future.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/11/27/why-steel-dynamics-stock-dropped-9-today.aspx

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'm pretty sure that's Huma Abedin, not AOC.

President Donald Trump on Tuesday blasted his Federal Reserve chairman and the central bank for a declining stock market and other economic woes.

“I’m doing deals, and I’m not being accommodated by the Fed,” Trump said in aninterview with The Washington Post. “They’re making a mistake because I have a gut, and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody else’s brain can ever tell me.”

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Coincidentally, “The Trump Train” will be the name of a move a few of his cell mates will pull in a few years.  

54 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Lose 14,000 GM jobs but gain 600 steel jobs. Winning!

In the Southwest?  How does that help his core "bring the factory back" voters in the Midwest?  If someone from Bethlehem, PA can't be bothered to look for a job in neighboring NJ, they sure as shit aren't going to move to Arizona or wherever to work in a steel mill.

• Like 1