Brennan Eagles taking a stand

TonyTexas

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Outstanding.  If we somehow limp into a bowl game, I hope we have noone left but scrubs and ball boys/girls...

Oh, and FUCK YOU, TOM!!!

And we will crush. The bench guys always seem to be better than the scrubs we were starting.

Then we will get excited for next season and then suddenly those bench guys who were throwing people around in the bowl game will suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

wouldn't you take a fifth-stringer from a program like Ohio State or Alabama over most of our guys, if you were drafting in the 6th or 7th round? Most of the scrubs at those programs were highly recruited, stuck with their program, and got four or five years of really good coaching at the college level. 

Eh. Maybe. We're a year removed from putting 2 pretty stud WRs in the NFL that are already making meaningful contributions. Ultimately you are drafting the player - not his coaches or team or family - although those factors can always weigh into the equation.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I know you weren’t comparing but DK’s motor is incredible and he’s a freak athlete. Eagles is a paper tiger in comparison. In this offense he’s a mystery. I think he’s more talented than Sweed was but the production with a better throwing QB just is not there. I don’t know why. I put a lot of blame on Herman or Yurcich for the litany of receivers we played this year. Schooler and Money (and Epps and Brewer) had no business being on the field outside of UTEP. This O should’ve seen much heavier doses of Eagles and Moore and Black.  When Smith came back, Eagles, Moore and Smith should have never left the field. If you’re in 4 receiver sets, Black, and Whittington when healthy should’ve been out there. Why we rotated more than those 5 guys is fucking beyond me. 

To be clear, I don't think much of Eagles as a player. Preseason prediction thread I suggested he'd remain 3rd on the team in yards and receptions as many others in the thread predicted he'd ascend. Sadly I was wrong as his meager yardage output leads the team.

And I also should have put in my post in this thread that while Eagles is a bit of a specimen, the difference between his athleticism and DK's is YUGE

10 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Eagles struggles with a lot of the fundamental parts of being a receiver. I think he’s at best a late round pick and more likely an undrafted free agent. I don’t know who is advising these players but it’s getting comical now. 

Yup. Throw away a Texas degree and get nothing in return.

WR's need to use the Lil Jordan Humphrey litmus test. LJH did not get drafted, so if you aren't better than him yet, you should probably hold off on the draft, unless you're a senior. Is Eagles a better WR than LJH? Hell no

Don’t forget, the NFL is obsessed with measurables. LJH was slow as fuck despite having a productive college career. The league looks at upside and physical traits first. Based off of that, he could get drafted with a good combine and pro day.

34 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

WR's need to use the Lil Jordan Humphrey litmus test. LJH did not get drafted, so if you aren't better than him yet, you should probably hold off on the draft, unless you're a senior. Is Eagles a better WR than LJH? Hell no

Eh. College production is probably least useful as an indicator for NFL success for WRs than any other position group. There are so many variables that go into whether a guy at the college level can put up huge numbers. There are plenty of WRs that have absolutely killed it in college and then washed out or barely stuck around in the NFL, and plenty of guys that have killed it in the NFL that were just kind of meh in college or played somewhere way off the map.

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I know you weren’t comparing but DK’s motor is incredible and he’s a freak athlete. Eagles is a paper tiger in comparison. In this offense he’s a mystery. I think he’s more talented than Sweed was but the production with a better throwing QB just is not there. I don’t know why. I put a lot of blame on Herman or Yurcich for the litany of receivers we played this year. Schooler and Money (and Epps and Brewer) had no business being on the field outside of UTEP. This O should’ve seen much heavier doses of Eagles and Moore and Black.  When Smith came back, Eagles, Moore and Smith should have never left the field. If you’re in 4 receiver sets, Black, and Whittington when healthy should’ve been out there. Why we rotated more than those 5 guys is fucking beyond me. 

Heavier doses of Black? What games did you watch? Black was slow, mediocre, and middling at best.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

When Smith came back, Eagles, Moore and Smith should have never left the field. If you’re in 4 receiver sets, Black, and Whittington when healthy should’ve been out there. Why we rotated more than those 5 guys is fucking beyond me. 

Yeah, this made me crazy as well.  We played in a lot of 1-score games, where one big play one way or another could be the difference in the game.  And it seemed like there were a lot of critical second-half third downs where we didn’t feel the urgency to have our most skilled guys on the field.   Targeting Money, Epps, and Schooler instead of Eagles, Moore, Smith.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/15/2020 at 10:00 PM, Stunns38 said:

Don’t forget, the NFL is obsessed with measurables. LJH was slow as fuck despite having a productive college career. The league looks at upside and physical traits first. Based off of that, he could get drafted with a good combine and pro day.

He could put up some freakish numbers if he gets an combine invite.  A team will pick him up--what mid to late round or undrafted?  His ceiling is high.    

20 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

He could put up some freakish numbers if he gets an combine invite.  A team will pick him up--what mid to late round or undrafted?  His ceiling is high.    

He will join the long list of recent Longhorn UDFA. That's pretty much all Texas puts in the league. We want our players to not get drafted and get a big head. You can see how well our development approach is paying off by looking at the 2021 & 2022 recruiting classes.

On 12/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, Mdhorn said:

He’ll put up freaky number and get drafted because NFL GM’s pleasure themselves watching combine film and there’s no shortage of NFL coaches with enough hubris to think they can turn athletes into studs. 

I wish him luck, but he is making a mistake imoho. I see him and wonder why such a good receiver doesn’t recieve so good. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

He's not a freak athlete so he's not going to put up freakish numbers.  He'll put up good numbers assuming he gets an invite and trains for the combine, couple that with no film and he'll be a late round to UDFA.

Not a great route runner with inconsistent hands = UDFA

• Hook 'Em 1