Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First black member of LHB 1962

Only black drum major 1990

WHOA! So the band integrated 8 years before the football team? And the band had its first black drum major 24 years before we hired our first black head football coach?

ENOUGH!

Obviously, DKR was a blatant racist! His name must immediately come off the stadium!

Those national titles won under him must be eradicated! We must forfeit every game won under DKR!

In fact, since it took us until 2014 to hire our first black football coach, even after the LHB had its first and only black drum major, that means the entire football program is steeped in racism and must be dismantled completely. We need to forfeit every single victory the football team has ever won and start from scratch! No anglos allowed on the new team of course.

To make sure we have completely eradicated all vestiges of racism, we will not resume football activity for 5 years to insure that all traces of whatever residual racism remains is erased.

The band will ONLY play songs originally written and played by Black Americans or other BIPOC entities.

For any future band member, they will have to take a "Woke Appreciation Test," so that we are assured that only the most progressive, young student minds are shaped to think alike, act alike and will support the most liberal, future agendas.

For any female Anglo who passes the "Woke Appreciation Test," any Black student in the LHB shall have the right of "prima nocta." The trouble with Anglos are there are too many of them! If we can't get them out ... we'll breed them out.

Problems solved.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Need to make the song the audition song for the band from here on out. Don't want to play it, don't audition. 

Tell the ones that want to play it to be there on Saturday.  The rest can stand outside the stadium and protest.  Someone please remind these band dorks that no one is paying to watch this game to see the band.  Even as bad as this football team is no one is showing up to see the band if there is no game.  Talk about no self awareness or is it an overrated sense of self importance.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

To make sure we have completely eradicated all vestiges of racism, we will not resume football activity for 5 years to insure that all traces of whatever residual racism remains is erased.

We arguably haven't been playing football for the last 10 years (going on 11) so we should be covered here.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I know inevitably this discussion devolves into "I'm not triggered, you're triggered!", but the last few pages reacting to a tweet about a college marching band that decided not to play a song are pretty incredible. 

It's almost as if being an enthusiastic fan of an athletics team represents irrational behavior. Like, the word "fan" is apparently short for "fantatic" or something!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The song was NEVER an issue until June 2020.  During the time span since it first became a part of the school and it's identity,  we've had the  1950's and 60's Civil Rights activism which led to major changes  and numerous other points of contention in the same arena and the leaders leading the charge in those struggles NEVER brought up the song.  If someone has evidence to contrary, I'd like to see it.  But still, it was NEVER an issue to where boycotts were threatened or students and  temper tantrums about it and Administrators  grabbed the KY and took it from them.

#2020 sux donkey balls.

Don't you know everything can be racist if you look hard enough...conveniently validating the reductionist effort of the person invested enough in the pursuit....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I know inevitably this discussion devolves into "I'm not triggered, you're triggered!", but the last few pages reacting to a tweet about a college marching band that decided not to play a song are pretty incredible. 

This. Why do y’all care so much? It’s a song. If they quit playing it I’d notice but I’d shrug and move on. There’s bigger shit to worry about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So if Texas drops the EOT, does Aggy  have to change the lyrics to Aggie War Hymm if it's not, in fact, the song we sing so well?  How will they deal with losing that tradition?  It will be chaos.  Advantage Texas.

aggy is carrying on with their season while a statue of Sul Ross remains on campus. Yet our pussy campus is worried about a song. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Lot of angry people on here because reasons...

Hanna should have quashed this instantly but didn't.
LHB is a class and he has the right to fail them but it sounds like he didn't make any threats.
No band members do not think football games are about them, not in high school and sure as fuck not in college, they're there to watch the game or socialize, just like you. If you've met someone in band that did not fall under that description then congratulations you found the 1%.
LHAB by and large has the same feelings most people here are expressing but there is also a small contingent that is siding with LHB

Like most things, once an adult puts their damn foot down (new director may be needed) then it will be back to business as usual. If need be they can roll with a pep band; even half the band is still larger than the normal pep band taken to away games. 
For the LHB members that don't want to play, fine, good for you, take your F, and continue on with your life. You'll look back on that moment and probably forget about it. There are some battles that should be fought, this doesn't feel like one of them, but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

We should focus our energy on stuff that actually matters, like a football team that wins.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

aggy is carrying on with their season while a statue of Sul Ross remains on campus. Yet our pussy campus is worried about a song. 

Yeah, but he was just a Confederate general that murdered a bunch of recently freed slaves trying to flee/surrender.  Our song was allegedly sung in a minstrel show.  So it makes total sense.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This. Why do y’all care so much? It’s a song. If they quit playing it I’d notice but I’d shrug and move on. There’s bigger shit to worry about. 

Everyone also does the Hook'em Horns while signing it... you ok with getting rid of Hook'em Horns since its so tied to said song??  That's why we care. It will stop somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 2

Probably should get rid of the LHB all together since this group has played this racist song for so many years.  I can’t believe they have been able to get away with this for so long.  What a racist organization the LHB is.  Am I playing the game right?  Probably time for a new coach and a new band director.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ve said this many times. I mean aggy alum actually asked the players directly if they were aggy or blacky.  The result is a competent looking team.  We have a bunch of weak spined pussies that fit in a helmet 

17 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Everyone also does the Hook'em Horns while signing it... you ok with getting rid of Hook'em Horns since its so tied to said song??  That's why we care. It will stop somewhere.

Everyone does it multiple times throughout the game. It’s not tied to the song. Not really the same. 

Still don’t get it...   Cause the song is to the beat of I’ve been working on the railroad and it samples songs does not make it racist at all.  People sample and use beats from songs all the time but that does not make the meaning of that song the same as the old one.  Terrible, ruining one of the best fight songs in the country. Earl, Ricky, VY and a lot of black former players see no issue with the song.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

It's not like the LHB can even play The Eyes at the correct tempo. 

This.   The shitty ass band director has been fucking it up for last few years regardless.  Use the recording from Spotify and it's an improvement.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Still don’t get it...   Cause the song is to the beat of I’ve been working on the railroad and it samples songs does not make it racist at all.  People sample and use beats from songs all the time but that does not make the meaning of that song the same as the old one.  Terrible, ruining one of the best fight songs in the country. Earl, Ricky, VY and a lot of black former players see no issue with the song.

Yeah you might want to backtrack and catch up, this has nothing to do with I've been working on the railroad. Also it's not our fight song.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

This.   The shitty ass band director has been fucking it up for last few years regardless.  Use the recording from Spotify and it's an improvement.  

It depends what version of The Eyes you want.

VRD would have The Eyes played pretty quick, "we're playing the school song, not something for a funeral."
At some point in between him and all the other directors it started to get played at a slower tempo and was less upbeat. 
I want to say growing up I heard it at the slower tempo so that seemed normal to me. I'm sure for others the faster tempo that VRD conducted it at is normal for them.

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I'll just repost what I had said a few months ago: 

Pretty sure this was already mentioned but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I've_Been_Working_on_the_Railroad

The melody of the opening line of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" may have been inspired by the very similar melody at the beginning of the cello solo about one minute into Franz von Suppé's 1846 Poet and Peasant overture.[3]

Can a song be racist if it samples from another song that sampled from another song and has different lyrics?

If Party Rock Anthem samples and has different lyrics from Call On Me, and let's pretend Call On Me is racist, but Call On Me samples from Valerie, and Valerie is for sure not racist, is Party Rock Anthem racist?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

1. Fire Herman

2. Hire Urban

3. Cancel the band

4. Triple the size of the Pom squad

5. Place new Pom squad in front of old band seats

6. Sell old band seats for high dollars

7. Ship orange polyester and fringe to third world countries for charitable donation

8. Melt down instruments to collect $2 bills

9. Find white van with really good deal on speakers

10. ???

11. Profit 

I will vote you for president of the united states tomorrow if you can get on the ballot. 

38 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Chinese people used to build the railroads and the white man plied them with opium to make them compliant so pretty much the university of texas in 2020 is complicit with anti-Sino racism

• Haha 2

It’s amazing that we are playing a football program in Baylor that recently experienced a gang rape scandal but have stayed together and moved forward. However our university and athletic program is eroding because of sensitivity about a song’s origin. 
Did they really address it though or were they pretty much forced to remove their coach and just sweep aside all of their wrong doings?

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

We are now at the point in the thread where Texas fans are jealous of the way A&M handles race relations and Baylor handles sexual assault. 

I'm Out - Seinfeld GIF - Seinfeld JerrySeinfeld Jerry - Discover & Share  GIFs

Who is jealous of them? It’s the fact that our university is full of pussies concerned about a song instead of actual social injustice 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who is jealous of them? It’s the fact that our university is full of pussies concerned about a song instead of actual social injustice 

I mean...Sgt Hulk is for one? He was replying to your own post:

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’ve said this many times. I mean aggy alum actually asked the players directly if they were aggy or blacky.  The result is a competent looking team.  We have a bunch of weak spined pussies that fit in a helmet 

Also, I could have sworn we have sucked shit through a straw in football for well over a decade, well before this was an issue. 

Sorry Hulk if you were being sarcastic and that was a bit, it's getting very hard to tell.

To you.
To many, it's not just a song. 
Why so woke all the sudden then? Why not last season? 2005? 1980?

The song rhymes with a song that is absolutely racist. It rhymes with it, nothing more. Ironically a band member wrote it to the tune of working on the railroad.

Apparently that band member was super RACIST and wrote it knowing the undertones of eyes was meant to slight black people. Thats some 3D chess right there 120 years ago and nobody being woke enough until 2020 to realize it. Bravo to that clan leader.

Or

Is somebody making a big deal about a song that isn't racist but rhymes with one that is?
  • Hook 'Em 1

If any current LHB members read this, please do the right thing and resign if you're offended by The Eyes of Texas. You're taking a stand against a "racist" action that you carried on last year, the year before, and even during auditions. You should apologize to the community for the racial hatred you spewed on Saturdays as well as the nationally televised Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3