COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Good riddance to ENS.  That fucking building smelled like shit.

And the Penthouse with all of the fish being microwaved... ugh.  We hated that building.  Called it "The Toilet" because the hallways were all lined with those small bathroom tiles.  So gross.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

https://www.kcentv.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/24-students-covid-morgan-isd-releases-students-early/500-d313aa6d-edec-4692-993b-c75beffdf5cb

bottom line: If you have kids in any school in any grade level, youre gonna catch covid sometime in the next 3-4 weeks

Dying of COVID, or living in Temple...

Animated GIF

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

https://www.kcentv.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/24-students-covid-morgan-isd-releases-students-early/500-d313aa6d-edec-4692-993b-c75beffdf5cb

bottom line: If you have kids in any school in any grade level, youre gonna catch covid sometime in the next 3-4 weeks

Ricky Bobby GIF by memecandy

• Like 1

Delta is going to blow up cases in other states soon as well.  It is that contagious.  Compare Texas and Hawaii (and Hawaii has mask mandates, high mask compliance and one of the highest vaccine rates).  Here is hoping there are enough of the vulnerable that are vaccinated so deaths are less/lower CFR.
E9EkrxUXEAEcaXC?format=jpg&name=900x900

Cases are one thing but I’d be more interested in seeing the comparative hospitalization and death rates.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Good riddance to ENS.  That fucking building smelled like shit.

Csb, in about 1988 I went in there to meet my brother who was an engineering student.  I looked around all confused and couldn’t find him until he yelled GOOD MORNING VIETNAM! from his bench over on one side.

One of the funniest things I ever saw though was outside ECJ, I caught the shuttle bus just west of there, and there were a ton of Asian students on it and the windows were open.  As we were creeping past that building, there was some old dude wearing Birkenstock’s with knee high socks.  Everyone on the bus started yelling SOCKS AND SANDALS NO, NO BRO! Over and over.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hyperbole much?

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Csb, in about 1988 I went in there to meet my brother who was an engineering student.  I looked around all confused and couldn’t find him until he yelled GOOD MORNING VIETNAM! from his bench over on one side.

One of the funniest things I ever saw though was outside ECJ, I caught the shuttle bus just west of there, and there were a ton of Asian students on it and the windows were open.  As we were creeping past that building, there was some old dude wearing Birkenstock’s with knee high socks.  Everyone on the bus started yelling SOCKS AND SANDALS NO, NO BRO! Over and over.  

And that man, was Terry Wagner.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Hyperbole much?

Ballgame. 

Although not sure it's that much of an exaggeration.   Kids are going to be spreading this around and bringing it home to parents like crazy over the next 4-6 weeks. 

Edited by Skipper

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

First day of classes is 25 August.   I will say this though about earlier this week, just to end another bummer post on a high note---Monday was some kinda rush day on/near campus.  The theme for all grades was tennis skirts.  I couldn't tell you how many were masked/unmasked butt the underbutt was 95% 

Anna had a Great Tennis Butt

gCCAkhBv3fAdomiOAfwdI=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&  

07b3d691a843c34b5e0bbeeb5786c3ca.jpg

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

I think there’s a lot in the latter category. I can see a parent finding out they or their kid was near someone over the weekend who tested positive, but as long as the kid isn’t showing any symptoms they won’t test for fear of an asymptotic positive leading to quarantine/remote learning/staying at home with the kid.

My wife showed me pics on Facebook of a girl tonight that was closely exposed Saturday AND Sunday (didn’t find out till Monday) at a meet the teachers event tonight.  People don’t gaf a single solitary fuck past what’s good for them.  Makes me sick, tbh. 

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

My wife showed me pics on Facebook of a girl tonight that was closely exposed Saturday AND Sunday (didn’t find out till Monday) at a meet the teachers event tonight.  People don’t gaf a single solitary fuck past what’s good for them.  Makes me sick, tbh. 

while I agree there is a high percentage of selfishness at play here, for poorer single parent families, sending your child to school sick is sometimes the difference between keeping your job and loosing it.  Or, getting at least some pay that day.    it totally sucks because the 2 parent families usually have some sort of alternating stay at home responsibility, while the 1 parent family has to make that decision.

Although maybe, maybe the new WFH new normal might mean that a larger percentage of those kids who had normally been sent to school sick, might not have to go to school if sick as long as the parent can WFH.   I realize thats a small percentage of poor folks, but it might make a difference long term. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

while I agree there is a high percentage of selfishness at play here, for poorer single parent families, sending your child to school sick is sometimes the difference between keeping your job and loosing it. 

I don’t disagree. This family’s combined income is >500k.  This family hasn’t taken it serious since the get go.  Just irritating af to me.  Exposed 2x in consecutive days.  Exposer is pretty damn sick at moment (another friend).    I think most in their fancy hood are smart enough to be vaccinated, but those Kinders aren’t 

Edited by fattyflattie

Just now, South Austin said:

Quite poor by Surly standards.

Well, they’re aggys. Which makes it more infuriating to me.  We know where you’re kid is going to school in 15 years.  Missing meet the teacher in K isn’t going to affect his goal of obtaining an insurance sales degree or whatever the fuck they do there.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Delta is going to blow up cases in other states soon as well.  It is that contagious.  Compare Texas and Hawaii (and Hawaii has mask mandates, high mask compliance and one of the highest vaccine rates).  Here is hoping there are enough of the vulnerable that are vaccinated so deaths are less/lower CFR.

spacer.png

No disagreement that there are inconsistencies when it comes to COVID actively being spread. Most likely every country/state and situation are different. Perhaps Hawaii is as high as Texas due to being a more population dense state than Texas. Doesn't something like 65% of their population live in the Honolulu metro area?  As Honolulu goes, so does the entire state. Houston and Dallas could be at completely different points in a wave. Texas isn't so monolithic.

However the more likely answer has to do with the vaccine. I don't have more info than the rest of you but I assume the vaccine is less effective in preventing a COVID infection than we had hoped especially with the delta variant.  

On the flip side, there is evidence that the vaccine is good at preventing hospitalization and death.  According to the NY times, HI has 22 out of 100K hospitalized today whereas Texas is at 42. Deaths are at 0.09 and 0.37 for the 2 states. HI may be just as infected as Texas but they don't seem to be suffering like TX. 

Or I could be completely wrong. Maybe HI's hospitalizations and deaths are just delayed a week or two.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Shit, in the "before times" parents gave kids Tylenol to drop their fever and sent them on to school. A close friend of mine was a middle school principle (now a highschool principle, woo!), and the stories he could tell...

That shit still goes on. I know a lady who used the same sitter we did who would knowingly send her kids to daycare full of tylenol when they were sick. I’d pick my child up in the afternoon and her kid would look like hell all because “mommy had to work”. Mommy worked in daddy’s office answering the phone and damn well could’ve taken off anytime she wanted.

One guy I know was sending his kid to daycare and she ended up having RSV and an ear infection. His excuse was he knew she looked bad but mommy was out of town.

Jackasses. Every single one of them.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, they’re aggys. Which makes it more infuriating to me.  We know where you’re kid is going to school in 15 years.  Missing meet the teacher in K isn’t going to affect his goal of obtaining an insurance sales degree or whatever the fuck they do there.  

44 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

And auto correct fucked me on *your.  Aggy indeed. 

Wait.  So you edited your post but didn't fix "you're"?

news-anchor-negged.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No disagreement that there are inconsistencies when it comes to COVID actively being spread. Most likely every country/state and situation are different. Perhaps Hawaii is as high as Texas due to being a more population dense state than Texas. Doesn't something like 65% of their population live in the Honolulu metro area?  As Honolulu goes, so does the entire state. Houston and Dallas could be at completely different points in a wave. Texas isn't so monolithic.

However the more likely answer has to do with the vaccine. I don't have more info than the rest of you but I assume the vaccine is less effective in preventing a COVID infection than we had hoped especially with the delta variant.  

On the flip side, there is evidence that the vaccine is good at preventing hospitalization and death.  According to the NY times, HI has 22 out of 100K hospitalized today whereas Texas is at 42. Deaths are at 0.09 and 0.37 for the 2 states. HI may be just as infected as Texas but they don't seem to be suffering like TX. 

Or I could be completely wrong. Maybe HI's hospitalizations and deaths are just delayed a week or two.

google obesity rates of the states to determine why case rates are equivalent but hospitalizations and deaths are different.  Or racial make up which correlates to obesity rates. 

4 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

google obesity rates of the states to determine why case rates are equivalent but hospitalizations and deaths are different.  Or racial make up which correlates to obesity rates. 

Vax rates are probably the biggest difference for hospitalization and deaths.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Vax rates are probably the biggest difference for hospitalization and deaths.

I was going to say whichever states are cranking out the most meth would be near the top, but y'alls factors are easy to prove.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With Hawaii, you gotta wonder how many people slipped (perhaps unintentionally) under the radar (unlike that couple that got caught with forged vaccination cards) when traveling--again, affects case counts, but a higher vaccination rate would assist with the rest. Would not take many arrivals to travel around the island. They all go to the same places.

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I was talking to some aggy friends yesterday. Their son is in the top 5% of his HS class and we were discussing college. Being polite, I commented "Well, he should already be packing his bags for College Station with those grades. He is a guaranteed admit."

They replied with "Well, we have been thinking and feel that he should have the best opportunities available for him and his future. So, we are open to sending him to tu if he gets accepted." Then they started asking questions about CAP and campus, etc...

These are die hard "Texum Fighting Jimbo gonna when a championship aggy" people. However without saying it, they admitted to the superiority of UT and treated it like they were announcing that their son was coming out of the closet. It was awesome.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

while I agree there is a high percentage of selfishness at play here, for poorer single parent families, sending your child to school sick is sometimes the difference between keeping your job and loosing it.  Or, getting at least some pay that day.    it totally sucks because the 2 parent families usually have some sort of alternating stay at home responsibility, while the 1 parent family has to make that decision.
Although maybe, maybe the new WFH new normal might mean that a larger percentage of those kids who had normally been sent to school sick, might not have to go to school if sick as long as the parent can WFH.   I realize thats a small percentage of poor folks, but it might make a difference long term. 
TEA didn't make this any easier. There is also the 90% rule. Stay home with a fever 18 days a year and you don't get credit and have to repeat. That includes Dr appointments and any other reason excluding a positive covid test which of course requires a test, then a follow up negative test to go back to school.
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

TEA didn't make this any easier. There is also the 90% rule. Stay home with a fever 18 days a year and you don't get credit and have to repeat. That includes Dr appointments and any other reason excluding a positive covid test which of course requires a test, then a follow up negative test to go back to school.

I think your point is a point that's being overlooked.  TEA has basically removed all COVID rules and basically have gone "back to normal."  As a result, quarantining after direct exposure is optional, and you'll receive no virtual learning.  You're just expected to still get your work done.  This means almost no one will quarantine.  Teachers are now expected to use their sick days for when they do have COVID and if they want to quarantine.  Resulting in teachers likely coming to school when infected.

This is all just a shit show, created by our shit show govt who is pandering to the dumbest of the group.

• Rage+1 1

43 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I think your point is a point that's being overlooked.  TEA has basically removed all COVID rules and basically have gone "back to normal."  As a result, quarantining after direct exposure is optional, and you'll receive no virtual learning.  You're just expected to still get your work done.  This means almost no one will quarantine.  Teachers are now expected to use their sick days for when they do have COVID and if they want to quarantine.  Resulting in teachers likely coming to school when infected.

This is all just a shit show, created by our shit show govt who is pandering to the dumbest of the group.

Can we try to save the governmental finger pointing (regardless of which particular official/party/etc) for the CR threads?  kthanxbye 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Updates on stats.  Cases are down from yesterday but still up week over week at 741 (-106, +263).  Hospitalizations remains flat at 618, while ICU admits is down to 221 (-2).  Vent use is up to 153 (+8).  Deaths up to 924

image.thumb.png.b97a5bbd087f97774e55e29baac07ca4.png

image.thumb.png.a77bfa5c83fad4e126b795256ff9c094.png

source - https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

• Hook 'Em 2

Another bad day for Travis County 741 cases (up 263 from last week Thursday). Still one short of record for hospitalizations at 618.

Cases still skewing younger overall.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/19 vs 8/18 14 53 76 187 172 104 79 41 8 7 741
% of Daily Change 1.89% 7.15% 10.26% 25.24% 23.21% 14.04% 10.66% 5.53% 1.08% 0.94%  
% of Total Cases 0.68% 4.66% 10.76% 25.97% 20.88% 14.79% 10.89% 6.37% 3.06% 1.94%  
  • Hook 'Em 3

So wife and I got negative Covid tests.  We're both vaccinated.  We had extreme sore throats and now a dry cough the last 2 weeks.  Half my buddies are sick with the same symptoms.  Not to mention, I run into 2-3 people a day that are coughing while talking to me.  Does the Delta variant result in a covid 19 positive test?  Wonder if I have/had the delta variant or if this is a rough fucking upper respiratory issue we're having.  I work in healthcare so I feel like I generally have a pretty solid immune system being exposed to common colds so frequently, even then...  I'm never sick more than a day or two.  This has been lingering for 2+ weeks now.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1