2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

I thought it was the rule of 4's.  We can go 4 minutes with no oxygen, 4 hours in extreme elements, 4 days with no water, 4 weeks with no food.  

Also, it is a political crime that I can't buy a bottle of brandy today to take up to the attic with me while I put a heater on some piping.  

Edited by Lobo

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I thought it was the rule of 4's.  We can go 4 minutes with no oxygen, 4 hours in extreme elements, 4 days with no water, 4 weeks with no food.  

Also, it is a political crime that I can't buy a bottle of brandy today to take up to the attic with me while I put a heater on some piping.  

Rule of 3s sounds closer. 4 minutes without oxygen and 4 days without water and you'd be lucky to be alive. "Extreme elements" seems kind of arbitrary.

Maybe it's the 3's then.  The extreme elements (this was some zero-trace back-country class years ago) was like in an average worldwide clothing outfit---pants, shirt, shoes, socks, and no jacket and then extremes were uncovered in -20 or 120.  I can't remember the specifics.  But I thought was all about 4's, could be 3's.  Obviously the circumstances are also key, 3 days with no water at home are wildly different than 3 days in the wilderness where you're constantly exerting yourself and not just sitting down and watching TV.  I would think the 3-4 minutes with oxygen to the brain is most concrete, the rest obviously "depends."  

Anyway, we're about to fuck around and find out what happens to 4 days of freezing in Texas.  Making one more supply run this afternoon and then buckling down again.  

It's a shame it'll be Lent later this week, woulda been a helluva time to celebrate making it out the other side of this shitshow. 

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

image.jpeg.924f005355770c5c0c10125cca4b8c6d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 3adays said:

My neighbor down the street has has his garage door open all morning. I’m no expert on this shit, but that doesn’t seem smart. 

Oh, he's smart like a fox! It's like opening your windows before a tornado--the pipes can't freeze if the temperature is equal on both sides! Or maybe, "pre-freezing" your pipes now before the coldest snap hits is like creating a firebreak that stops further freezing!

• Haha 1

Well apparently a week or two ago I misplaced a shirt of my wife’s while doing the laundry, huge fight and now she’s Uber pissed at me...it was a gift (got damn do I hate laundry).  I’ve turned this house upside down.  And the kids are going nuts with nowhere to go.  Seeing this weather drag into at least Thursday of next week has me depressed in this pressure cooker. 

Pray for Mojo and happy Valentine’s Day.  

Edited by Homercles

On my second Irish coffee. GF is sipping a hot toddy. I am making stew, she is in the bedroom doing laundry. Best way to handle a lock down is drink moderately and stay away from each other. It is our anniversary so trying to keep a calm day so we can have a nice evening. Set up the dining room so in case lights go out all the candles are ready. 

Best thing to do is make the best out of a shitty situation. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

On my second Irish coffee. GF is sipping a hot toddy. I am making stew, she is in the bedroom doing laundry. Best way to handle a lock down is drink moderately and stay away from each other. It is our anniversary so trying to keep a calm day so we can have a nice evening. Set up the dining room so in case lights go out all the candles are ready. 

Best thing to do is make the best out of a shitty situation. 

Second best, but you are getting there.

Northern girls know what's going on . . . 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I just tried to go for my daily walk around the neighborhood. I turned around after about five minutes after the third time I slipped and fell on my ass. Also I was pretty sure I was getting frostbite on my face and ears. Bad idea. Important safety tip, thanks Egan. 

I managed to get 3 miles in with the dog.   She was pulling me so fast down hill that I completely wiped out.   Landed elbow and hip first, almost took out my collarbone.   Luckily just bruised.   

Well apparently a week or two ago I misplaced a shirt of my wife’s while doing the laundry, huge fight and now she’s Uber pissed at me...it was a gift (got damn do I hate laundry).  I’ve turned this house upside down.  And the kids are going nuts with nowhere to go.  Seeing this weather drag into at least Thursday of next week has me depressed in this pressure cooker. 

If you play this right you'll never have to do laundry again
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I managed to get 3 miles in with the dog.   She was pulling me so fast down hill that I completely wiped out.   Landed elbow and hip first, almost took out my collarbone.   Luckily just bruised.   

yeah I normally do 4-5 miles every morning.  

Went outside this morning, felt the near zero wind chill, saw the white coating, and said fuck this.  

31 minutes ago, Homercles said:

"it's a shirt Honey.  You look better without one..."

so this is the first time i ever heard someone say we should drip our outside spigots? i've never, ever done that. i'm dripping my inside faucets with on external walls, and my shower as well. but i just wrapped the spigots with a sock and a spigot cover. that should be good enough, right?

i did shut off the irrigation system and depressurized it by running my zone 1 for ~30 seconds, thanks to the helpful advice from a neighbor, so that should be all good, i hope.