Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

1 hour ago, NoName said:

at this point we are 7 years since he won 10 games. we are 10 years past him winning a national championship. We are 9 years past him winning a conf championship. he's finished unranked in the AP poll (3) more often than he has finished ranked (2)......

[aggy] Yeah, but you see, that was HC/OC Jimbo. This is just Year 1 of HC/CEO Jimbo and we almost beat Bama! Sure, sips beat Bama at their place, but that was before Bama could get Milroe comfortable. Bama would beat sips by 4 TDs now and we had them beat with our backup QB and almost beat Miami who would be undefeated and easily top 10 if their coach wasn't brain dead. The biggest jump is usually year 1 to year 2, so next year is our year! [aggy] 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm sure you're being honest about what they said, but I wonder how honest they were being with you.

Aggies are sure that they are richer than they are. They are sure of a lot of things about themselves which are clearly untrue. I can imagine some Aggie boosters with "buddies close to the Big Money Ags" claiming to know what's going on.

I think $90MM to dump Jimbo and the boys and maybe three quarters of that same amount promised over the next 8 years for a big-name replacement is a tall order. $150MM over the next 7 years is some serious money, Frank.*

*Scarface

These guys are not the mega donor type.   Their net worths are probably north of 10 to 20 million (solid donors), but not arch aplin kind of money.  As anything you take it with a grain of salt, but the statement was the money was there.  I guess we will find out at the end or near end of season.  

• Like 1

It’s a 100 million dollar ante to replace jimbo and staff, pay buyout of new coach, and pay for new staff. Unless they’ve convinced jimbo that they will make his life so miserable that it’s worth forfeiting 30-40 million dollars to get away now.  And like has been said, he’s a stubborn sob and will have jimmy sexton in his ear saying ride it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

I know several aggies that are pretty high up on the food chain for the boosters and I have been informed that the money for the buyout is already in place.   Generally speaking these individuals are pretty sane, (not about football or anything else related to aggy) but in regards to other aspects of their respective lives.  I don't know if it is bullshit or not but the general consensus even before this game was jimbo has to go.   I personally would love to see the jimbo experiment continue...  

That's fine. I'm not sure the money is there to buy out Jimbo, buy out a great coach from another school (pending one wants to come), and continue the bag game to the same extent as they've been doing.

Tradeoff theory is going to apply in some form.

33 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

These guys are not the mega donor type.   Their net worths are probably north of 10 to 20 million (solid donors), but not arch aplin kind of money.  As anything you take it with a grain of salt, but the statement was the money was there.  I guess we will find out at the end or near end of season.  

I could see it. aggy buying out Jimbo would add to Kayce Smith’s bullshit lore that “aggy is the richest!”

• Haha 1

the buyout ask isn't going to be $100m up front. it's somehow worse because that would be a 1 time fee. instead they pay him out annually over the length of his contract, which runs until 2031.

what's the actual up front ask?

• they owe him something like 25% of whats remaining on the contract within 60 days of firing him - call that 20m
  • buying out the new coach coach? say 3m
  • paying the new coach? say 9m
  • paying new staff? say 8m (this assumes minimal buyout for existing staff and for new staff and all staff's contracts end 12/31/23 which they don't)

so the ask will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $40m basically "up front" to buy him out, replace him and then replace staff.

THEN on a go forward basis you have 9m for the new coach + 8m for the new staff + jimbo's salary on top of that (like 58m left divided by the 6 years left so a little over 8m per year) - so the annual cost for your coaching staff goes from ~16 million to ~24 million. and this is in place until 2031 (!!!)

that's a fuckload of money considering that tOSU is paying all in 21.6 million for their coach + staff, Bama is paying a little under 20 million, LSU a little under 19 million

yes, the money is absolutely out there in peoples accounts. the money exists. but will boosters be willing to pay it? idk. i'll believe it when i see it and not a second before then. that's an incredible request. add in that you then have to hope you get it right and anyone that donates that much/cares that much is going to want a seat at the table basically...super active boosters can fuck a lot of things up.

it means they have to admit they as an organization made a huge mistake hiring him, then extending him, then deal with the fallout once he leave and shittalks them at every opportunity, then deal with it being talked about every single time they are on TV and on gameday (remember when they hired him to the largest guaranteed contract ever, then extended him?) for the next decade. this also assumes you don't have further blowback at the high school level and can weather the storm of what is going to come out once you fire him.

idk if their psyche can handle that.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

How some of you can be reading the endless gnashing of teeth and lamentations on Texags while also concluding that this "close loss" will give the boosters the kick in the pants needed to send their NIL war machine into maximum overdrive, is very curious.

They didn’t watch the game, just looked at the final score. No one who watched that game would come away thinking it inspired aggy.

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

the buyout ask isn't going to be $100m up front. it's somehow worse because that would be a 1 time fee. instead they pay him out annually over the length of his contract, which runs until 2031.

• they owe him something like 25% of whats remaining on the contract within 60 days of firing him - call that 20m
  • paying new staff? say 8m (this assumes minimal buyout for existing staff and for new staff and all staff's contracts end 12/31/23 which they don't)

so the ask will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $40m basically "up front" to buy him out, replace him and then replace staff.

THEN on a go forward basis you have 9m for the new coach + 8m for the new staff + jimbo's salary on top of that (like 58m left divided by the 6 years left so a little over 8m per year) - so the annual cost for your coaching staff goes from ~16 million to ~24 million. and this is in place until 2031 (!!!)

that's a fuckload of money considering that tOSU is paying all in 21.6 million for their coach + staff, Bama is paying a little under 20 million, LSU a little under 19 million

yes, the money is absolutely out there in peoples accounts. the money exists. but will boosters be willing to pay it? idk. i'll believe it when i see it and not a second before then. that's an incredible request. add in that you then have to hope you get it right and anyone that donates that much/cares that much is going to want a seat at the table basically...super active boosters can fuck a lot of things up.

it means they have to admit they as an organization made a huge mistake hiring him, then extending him, then deal with the fallout once he leave and shittalks them at every opportunity, then deal with it being talked about every single time they are on TV and on gameday (remember when they hired him to the largest guaranteed contract ever, then extended him?) for the next decade. this also assumes you don't have further blowback at the high school level and can weather the storm of what is going to come out once you fire him.

all of that, and then add NIL obligations as well. 

Who am I kidding, they'll probably just take out another loan from the university and raise tuition another couple grand per student. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

That's fine. I'm not sure the money is there to buy out Jimbo, buy out a great coach from another school (pending one wants to come), and continue the bag game to the same extent as they've been doing.

Tradeoff theory is going to apply in some form.

payday.jpg

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, NoName said:

Don't forget to tack on whatever their annual payment is on that monstrosity of a stadium.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

All they gotta do is inflate the value of some of their assets and take out a big loan, then have the state bail them out down the line. Easy peasy stupid sip

• Haha 4

If they do buy him out, I wonder who's on their shortlist and what is realistic. I'm sure Urban Meyer is who the fans will want. Would he go there? He's a total piece of shit, so he checks that box. But just like when we were looking for a coach, there doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate outside of UM.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

image.png?ex=6536999d&is=6524249d&hm=efb90b227126a4382c7f6c41ed4da8bbb7df63c245bac8b41ede7e2ad60543d7&

image.png?ex=6536999d&is=6524249d&hm=7e141b070d9ec4250a9247083c2a7ffe69cb55253c1a2706a9c8446f8d052329&

19.2 due within 60 days after this season, 16.9 after next season.

Recurring payments start 120 days after that.

Due within 6 months is noted above. 

And that doesn't include staff buyouts, new coach pay, new staff pay. It's a 40-50+ million buyout this year or next.

Those recurring payments will run through 2031 and they bottom out about 5.8 million. So they'll be paying 10-12 million for their new coach + 5-7 million a year to Jimbo through 2031.......That's a ton of cash tied up.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

If they do buy him out, I wonder who's on their shortlist and what is realistic. I'm sure Urban Meyer is who the fans will want. Would he go there? He's a total piece of shit, so he checks that box. But just like when we were looking for a coach, there doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate outside of UM.

They will try to buy Lanning then Elko.  Elko has shown that he can be bought.   He might jump.  

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

They will try to buy Lanning then Elko.  Elko has shown that he can be bought.   He might jump.  

I'm not sure aggy could/would fork over the $20M buyout plus likely 10M salary it would require to get Lanning to switch from Oregon. That's another 30M in a year. Even Lanning would probably question if they had enough money left to get him the players he's getting now at Oregon.

Elko's their big hope. It would be a good snag too, pulling a coach from a currently higher ranked and better football program like Duke.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Lanning and Elko is my guess. 

52 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

7B3306D9-E400-4830-891B-542D6E69DCF7.jpeg.37b6dfd5b56c42fbc9684b67f261673e.jpeg

I wouldn’t put it past them

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

7B3306D9-E400-4830-891B-542D6E69DCF7.jpeg.37b6dfd5b56c42fbc9684b67f261673e.jpeg

I wouldn’t put it past them

This would be the biggest dumpster fire and Sanders knows that. He currently controls his own destiny with the new big 12 lacking a blue blood. Winning 9+ next year would be his best bet to take over Bama or another high end job if it were to come open. Also he is at Colorado until Travis Hunter gets drafted, there is 0 chance he would leave him risk not getting a 2nd transfer in 2 years. 

38 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Lanning and Elko is my guess. 

Lanning has as good a job now and gets to use the B10 recruiting and money to his favor. 

Elko is a Penn grad who has spent all but his 4 years at a&m in the north or on the east coast. Michigan State fits his profile much more the aggies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

This would be the biggest dumpster fire and Sanders knows that. He currently controls his own destiny with the new big 12 lacking a blue blood. Winning 9+ next year would be his best bet to take over Bama or another high end job if it were to come open. Also he is at Colorado until Travis Hunter gets drafted, there is 0 chance he would leave him risk not getting a 2nd transfer in 2 years. 

Lanning has as good a job now and gets to use the B10 recruiting and money to his favor. 

Elko is a Penn grad who has spent all but his 4 years at a&m in the north or on the east coast. Michigan State fits his profile much more the aggies. 

I think you make excellent points. I don't really see how a coach with numerous options, including staying put at a high-salaried P5 recruiting power, would wind up choosing ATM for a nominally higher salary. It doesn't make any sense if they fire Fisher ignominiously and scream "SLEEPING GIANT!" as a coach recruiting tool. The next guy would have to have something left to prove while having blemishes, or be someone taking the big step up and convincing themselves that they can be the one to fix ATM's systemic problems. 

I've heard people mention Urban Meyer and that dude seems too astute of CFB. No way he goes to the Bermuda Triangle for the college football world. Maybe they just promote Petrino and we all get to keep on laughing?

12 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

This would be the biggest dumpster fire and Sanders knows that. He currently controls his own destiny with the new big 12 lacking a blue blood. Winning 9+ next year would be his best bet to take over Bama or another high end job if it were to come open. Also he is at Colorado until Travis Hunter gets drafted, there is 0 chance he would leave him risk not getting a 2nd transfer in 2 years

Yea it was mostly a joke. But A&M is dumb enough to try so who knows

26 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Meh. It took a while for people to find out who he was.  Brian Kelly took care of that.  My read on him is that the dude is as football coach as football coach can get and will do it for the biggest check anywhere, NFL included.  He coached at something called Mechant Marine so he probably eats that Aggie shit up anyway.    The fact that he stayed for 4 full years is also some kind of badge of honor to those mucks. 

20 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I could see Sanders at a Florida school like UF or FSU, more than Bama.  I also could see him at Clemson or LSU--those are all fast tracked for success for the right coach--fertile recruiting grounds with prior winning programs.  Aggy?  No chance.  He speaks his mind too much for that school.  I'd be interested if he'd take a job like Michigan or PSU.  I could also see Locksley being a coach that get's some looks.  

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think you make excellent points. I don't really see how a coach with numerous options, including staying put at a high-salaried P5 recruiting power, would wind up choosing ATM for a nominally higher salary. It doesn't make any sense if they fire Fisher ignominiously and scream "SLEEPING GIANT!" as a coach recruiting tool. The next guy would have to have something left to prove while having blemishes, or be someone taking the big step up and convincing themselves that they can be the one to fix ATM's systemic problems. 

I've heard people mention Urban Meyer and that dude seems too astute of CFB. No way he goes to the Bermuda Triangle for the college football world. Maybe they just promote Petrino and we all get to keep on laughing?

I'm sure Urban would consider a ~$100 M contract (which is probably what it would take)... Collect a massive, state tax free payday prior to retirement and kill himself "recruiting" down in Florida all off-season... He's a 3x national champion, so he has nothing else to prove. And if he does the impossible and makes aggy a contender, he's in the conversation to be the GOAT.

Edited by ATXhorn17
Aggy may also be desperate enough to give him an associate AD title and make him an adjunct professor on leadership and ethics lol.

Their reasoning for giving Jimbo that contract was due to him reviving an old power that won multiple championships in the 90s before winning one himself in the 2010s. 

What if I told you there was another coach that brought a team who won multiple championships in the 90s back from the dead with a super bowl in 2015? Even better is this one is already an aggie. 

image.jpeg.a99a3bbf01b0f76585babbecca0d4e0c.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Bill Cowher obviously.  

There’s something about Mel Tucker and Coach Prime that would rub aggy the wrong way. Something that made Sumlin terrible but Bilbo palatable despite more tangible success from Sumlin. And Mond persona non grata despite being aggy’s best qb of all time. 
Just can’t put my finger on what makes Sumlin, Tucker, Sanders, and Mond not quite right for aggy …

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Have to think Kalen DeBoer - Washington's coach would get a call if Elko says 'nah'.

Sure, but what's the winning value proposition? UW will match anything ATM puts out there. They just begged their way into the Big 10 and, in doing so, committed that they'd do what it takes in the new era to compete at the highest level. You're looking at this through a lens that has ATM higher in the national pecking order than UW and that's simply not even close. UW has been to the playoffs. They won a national title after WW2. They've got the entire west coast as fertile recruiting terrain. They're in Seattle. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

There ain’t enough money for Meyer to go to aggy…period.

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It'll be Art Briles, and frankly I'm disappointed that I'm the one pointing it out. 

You're being humorous, but I do think that ATM is one of the only schools out there that would be impervious to the media and social media blowback. They'd just dust their shoulders off and starting equivocating for him to anyone complaining.

• Hook 'Em 2

Interview on Rivals from 2025 RB James Simon out of Louisiana, who was at A&M-Bama

LSU and Texas A&M are the two clear front-runners for the 2025 four-star running back from Shreveport (La.) Calvary Baptist Academy and despite the Aggies’ loss to Alabama on Saturday, Simon absolutely loved the environment in College Station. The message Simon received after the game was that the A&M coaches believed they were the better team and should’ve won. LSU probably has the edge for Simon but the Agies are right there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

They'll try to fire Jimbo for cause before considering paying that buyout.

I mean, I'd love for them to invent some reason to fire him for cause. I'm sure that will comfort the next coach and give him confidence that they won't try to weasel their way out of a contract if the team underperforms. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Sure, but what's the winning value proposition? UW will match anything ATM puts out there. They just begged their way into the Big 10 and, in doing so, committed that they'd do what it takes in the new era to compete at the highest level. You're looking at this through a lens that has ATM higher in the national pecking order than UW and that's simply not even close. UW has been to the playoffs. They won a national title after WW2. They've got the entire west coast as fertile recruiting terrain. They're in Seattle. 

dude, who would pick this: the-stadium-and-the-lake-max-waugh.jpg

over this?: Texas-AM-West-Aerial.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Lanning is the one guy they can't money whip. He is a far better coach than Christobal, and I think Nike/Phil Knight would step up to keep him as they head into the B1G. Losing Lanning would look really bad. 

Elko is the most realistic good option and he would be a solid fit, but if a&m doesn't move quickly he could be gone. That could leave them in a desperate situation, which usually lends itself to some high comedy.

Does aggy do something stupid and break the bank for someone like Gundy? They sure as hell aren't pulling someone from a blue blood in the SEC or B1G. They could make a run at someone like DeBoer, but that is highly unlikely on a number of fronts. So then they work their way down to Traylor and others in that sphere, which may or may not work out taking that big of a jump. 

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I don't think sheep are his style