If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

1 hour ago, Xian said:

You want to know spoiled?  I was at UT for vy, colt, KD, college World Series, plus countless other championships.  Not to mention a final four my senior year in HS. 

We’re the same class. It was good times. It also feels like we’ll never get back there in any of the big 3.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Are you fucking serious? 

Yes I fucking am.  Other than 2004-2009, and a few delusional moments in years like 1990 or 2001, this year is pretty much the norm for 1984-2010.  

Unless you feel that the Mack Brown era false hope and disappointment of being highly ranked, getting beat senseless in Dallas, then accepting a standing Holiday Bowl invitation is somehow qualitatively better. If so, I’m jealous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'm not averse to hiring an assistant but it's a lot harder to project these guys as head coaches until they've been head coaches. OU hit a home run with Stoops. Chad Morris was Tony Elliott before Tony Elliott was Tony Elliott (this sentence makes my head hurt). That didn't work out so well.

Urban is a known commodity, one of the best college coaches in the game. He's won national titles in two different places. He would wreck shop at Texas. And he's available. It's a goddamn layup unless Texas is too high-and-mighty to make that hire.

Morris was not even given a real chance at Arky. Not saying he was going to turn it around but he never even got the real shot

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

Morris was not even given a real chance at Arky. Not saying he was going to turn it around but he never even got the real shot

Why he left SMU for Arky I have no idea. Not that I'm upset he left, but it was a strange career move.

I've given this some thought, and of the realistically available coaches (either not coaching currently or would leave their current job) it's only Urbs and Mike Gundy. Not sure I could get behind a Gundy hire, so if we refuse to go after Urban...might as well keep Herman around and see what coaches stand out this year.

2 hours ago, Monahorns said:

Why?  He is a proven coach in the Big 12.  He knows how to identify and develop talent.

I think it would be wise to get someone from inside the Big 12.  Gundy or Campbell or Patterson.  But I don't think Patterson is the answer.  If Texas really is the 800 lb gorilla then we need to act like it.  Go take what we want from other schools.  Worst case is we piss the Big 12 off and it leads to a quicker demise for the conference.

Did you miss the stupid crap he did this summer in regards to the rona?

Why?  He is a proven coach in the Big 12.  He knows how to identify and develop talent.

I think it would be wise to get someone from inside the Big 12.  Gundy or Campbell or Patterson.  But I don't think Patterson is the answer.  If Texas really is the 800 lb gorilla then we need to act like it.  Go take what we want from other schools.  Worst case is we piss the Big 12 off and it leads to a quicker demise for the conference.

Did you miss the stupid crap he did this summer in regards to the rona?  We don't need a conspiracy theorist as our head coach.

Did you miss the stupid crap he said this summer in regards to the rona?  We don't need a conspiracy theorist as our head coach.

Edited by kevwun

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

You obviously didn’t read the first post I made, then. 

No I just don't really know what stupid point you're trying to argue. Most programs don't look as good when you ignore their 2nd best 5 year stretch ever. Acting like the 2010s were par for the course for Texas couldn't be dumber. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No I just don't really know what stupid point you're trying to argue. Most programs don't look as good when you ignore their 2nd best 5 year stretch ever. Acting like the 2010s were par for the course for Texas couldn't be dumber. 

I don’t know why you want to pick a fight about this.  The “stupid point” was well understood by the guy I was actually talking to.  The fact that you don’t get it doesn’t really reflect on me.  

But in the interest of helping the mentally challenged, I will try again.  From 1984-2020, there is really only one brief 6-year run where Texas football was significantly better than it has been in the last decade. The other 30 or so years in that span have vacillated somewhere between disappointing second-tier bowls and outright losing seasons. 

That means years like this are more the norm than the exception.   That’s it.  

We won 4 conference titles between 1990 and 1996. Ricky won a Heisman in 1998. From 2000 to 2003 Texas went 9-3, 11-2, 11-2 and 10-3. 

Really the only stretch that resembles what we have done since 2009 - outside of 2018 - is '84 through '89 and a couple years in the '90s.

You're either underestimating how shitty we have been the past 11 seasons or underestimating some of our solid seasons since '83. 

Unless your argument is that if a season doesn't result in a national title then it's a failed season. In which case you have a point but I disagree.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Why he left SMU for Arky I have no idea. Not that I'm upset he left, but it was a strange career move.

I mean he's 18-40 in his college career with a 7-5 record his last year at SMU as his high-water mark. He was 0-14 in the SEC.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Is that bad?

Considering what the new coaching staff is doing, yes. Also, it seems his offense is much like Herman's, people have figured it out. Auburn could turn things around, but they looked pretty bad for long stretches of their game against South Carolina.

So he didn't freak out about a disease that has a 99.9 percent survival rate? Good for him.

I'm out on him though for rolling over and prostrating himself before the blm crowd over his shirt. He proved himself a spineless cuck over that.
Did you guys know there's a politics board? I've heard it's great. You should check it out and also move all of this political dumbfuckery to it so the rest of us can enjoy the football board as a break from that shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:57 PM, C-Man said:

I'm not averse to hiring an assistant but it's a lot harder to project these guys as head coaches until they've been head coaches. OU hit a home run with Stoops. Chad Morris was Tony Elliott before Tony Elliott was Tony Elliott (this sentence makes my head hurt). That didn't work out so well.

Urban is a known commodity, one of the best college coaches in the game. He's won national titles in two different places. He would wreck shop at Texas. And he's available. It's a goddamn layup unless Texas is too high-and-mighty to make that hire.

Morris was wearing out his welcome by the time he left Clemson. I haven't paid attention to him in a long time, so I don't know if he ever fixed this, but check out his first season at SMU. He's maybe the most OCD coach in football. He develops a great game plan and rigidly sticks to it, even as the opposing coach adjusts. So many games where he leads or is close at the half, then gets blown out in the second half. I think Elliot has a lot more potential and will be a good head coach, but Texas can't be the place he cuts his teeth. 

I think Elliot has a lot more potential and will be a good head coach, but Texas can't be the place he cuts his teeth. 

This is the #1 thing I'd like to see Texas adjust in coaching hires. Strong and Herman are reminders that your ability to succeed in your first stop doesn't always translate elsewhere.

We should definitely have our eyes on guys like Elliot and build a relationship for something down the road, but let him go prove it somewhere else before we come calling.

I don't particularly like him, but James Franklin is a decent profile for the kind of coach we should go after. Had really unexpected success at Vandy and has followed that up with a respectable run at Penn State. He's had good teams at multiple schools with different players, and I think he can coach. Again, I don't really want him in Austin, but guys like him and Petersen from Boise/UW are the more proven types of candidates we should target. Fleck might fit this bill, too, if he can sustain success at Minn for a few years
  • Hook 'Em 1

For those curious about James Franklins current contract/buyout situation - Franklin just signed a contract extension (in Feb) with Penn State through 2025 that will pay him a little over 7 million a season.  He has a 5 million dollar buyout if he leaves before the 2021.

To get Franklin to make the move to Texas I assume the contract would have to start at 8 million a year.  That 8 million, plus the buyout (5 million)plus new assistants added to Tom's buyout and his assistants would probably cost Texas nearly 40 million dollars.

25 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For those curious about James Franklins current contract/buyout situation - Franklin just signed a contract extension (in Feb) with Penn State through 2025 that will pay him a little over 7 million a season.  He has a 5 million dollar buyout if he leaves before the 2021.

To get Franklin to make the move to Texas I assume the contract would have to start at 8 million a year.  That 8 million, plus the buyout (5 million)plus new assistants added to Tom's buyout and his assistants would probably cost Texas nearly 40 million dollars.

The obvious financial benefit to hiring Meyer is no buyout at a current school. That would probably free up the ability for Texas to pay assistant buyouts - which we'll definitely need to do with a new coach either way. 

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
2 hours ago, PilotsError said:
So he didn't freak out about a disease that has a 99.9 percent survival rate? Good for him.

I'm out on him though for rolling over and prostrating himself before the blm crowd over his shirt. He proved himself a spineless cuck over that.

Did you guys know there's a politics board? I've heard it's great. You should check it out and also move all of this political dumbfuckery to it so the rest of us can enjoy the football board as a break from that shit.

Preach, brother!

21 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

Morris was the worst head coach in the history of the SEC.  Not just for the 0-14 SEC record.  More so for the ass kickings delivered by North Texas, Colorado State, San Jose State and capped with a 45-19 ass whipping by a Western Kentucky team lead by a QB Morris ran off a few months prior.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Arkansas flushed that incompetent steaming turd Morris down the shitter and all of a sudden they're immediately a competent 2-2 and would be 3-1 if not for being jobbed by the refs against Auburn. To say Morris never had a fair shake would be like saying Charlie never had a fair shake at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chad said:

Arkansas flushed that incompetent steaming turd Morris down the shitter and all of a sudden they're immediately a competent 2-2 and would be 3-1 if not for being jobbed by the refs against Auburn. To say Morris never had a fair shake would be like saying Charlie never had a fair shake at Texas.

If Chad Morris would've gone 3-9 (0-8) at Arkansas in his second season, he would still be there.  But he couldn't do that.  And was universally hated by the players.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not saying we should do this but it'd be interesting to see a blue-chip school try a decentralized coaching staff where you just money-whip top assistants with a relatively cheap HC and split some of the typical HC duties

Ex: Joe Brady as HC/OC for like $3mm, Odom or Venables as AHC/DC for like $3mm, then go spend $1mm each on all the top position coaches and support staff in the country.

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Not saying we should do this but it'd be interesting to see a blue-chip school try a decentralized coaching staff where you just money-whip top assistants with a relatively cheap HC and split some of the typical HC duties

Ex: Joe Brady as HC/OC for like $3mm, Odom or Venables as AHC/DC for like $3mm, then go spend $1mm each on all the top position coaches and support staff in the country.

LSU did that and won a NC. Then those guys left, and you get this season.  

Still probably worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Why isn't Fatterson's name on the list?  He beats UT regularly so addition by subtractions gives us one more win.  Plus we already have CDC.  Only thing is, have to get him. If we shoot and miss, then he's got more recruiting material.  Having said this, he's not done anything in additional to beat Texas and I think he's a coordinator at best.   

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We should target the best coaches. Not “hottest names in college football.”

All but one of the best coaches are employed and would simply use Texas for a big raise. Then we’d be going down the Rolodex for the “hottest names in college football”.

this is the easiest coaching search in history. We’ll fuck it up.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 12:13 AM, deadshank said:

Seems as the athletic department thinks our “brand” speaks for itself and, on its own, can recruit and win in football, basketball and baseball and generate lots of money doing so.  Face it, we are not good at any of the big 3 at this time and haven’t been for a while.   We are arrogant and not good.  It shows and is laughable.  Our football team is filled with soft, posing pre-madonnas that don’t seemed focused on being good football players or a great football team and the staff does nothing to change it while recruiting more of the same.

Simply changing coaches (again) and attempting to bring about a “new culture” (again) has failed us before and will again. 

I don’t know what the answer is.  Maybe we go for a satanic coach like Urban and let him have complete control and damn our souls to hell.  

What do I know?  (not much).  

I’m glad at least one other thinks the same as I do. 

I was watching, halfheartedly, some show on ESPN about college football generally.  They had snippets of various people, including Urb.

One of the things he said was, as a coach, you have to get people to do things they really don't want to do (like block).  He followed it up with everyone wants to catch a pass or run with the ball, but that's not what it's all about.

Perhaps not that profound an insight, but not commonly expressed.

My Lord i hope you don't share these opinions on air like your handle suggests. Did you see the teams he lost to? North Texas got close to a million dollars to go to arkie and beat their ass. San Jose or San Diego did too.

SEC recruites alone are better than north Texas by a long, long, long shot. Any kid getting an offer from North Texas and Arkansas always goes to Arkansas.

Pay more attention to whatever other sports you broadcast and post less about football because chad Morris was a terrible head coach. And a great example is whoever is the coach there now is winning a few games with players he didn't recruit.

Chad Morris is worse than tom herman and that's hard to do.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:13 PM, deadshank said:

Seems as the athletic department thinks our “brand” speaks for itself and, on its own, can recruit and win in football, basketball and baseball and generate lots of money doing so.  Face it, we are not good at any of the big 3 at this time and haven’t been for a while.   We are arrogant and not good.  It shows and is laughable.  Our football team is filled with soft, posing pre-madonnas that don’t seemed focused on being good football players or a great football team and the staff does nothing to change it while recruiting more of the same.

Simply changing coaches (again) and attempting to bring about a “new culture” (again) has failed us before and will again. 

I don’t know what the answer is.  Maybe we go for a satanic coach like Urban and let him have complete control and damn our souls to hell.  

What do I know?  (not much).  

I don’t want to get too crazy here, but maybe our Big 3 are bad right now because we have bad coaches for all 3 who were hired by either Steve Patterson or an interim AD, and if we just hire good coaches,  the programs will become good again? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t want to get too crazy here, but maybe our Big 3 are bad right now because we have bad coaches for all 3 who were hired by either Steve Patterson or an interim AD, and if we just hire good coaches,  the programs will become good again? 

This is a crazy idea. Wild.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Entirely possible.  

17 hours ago, markstanco said:

My Lord i hope you don't share these opinions on air like your handle suggests. Did you see the teams he lost to? North Texas got close to a million dollars to go to arkie and beat their ass. San Jose or San Diego did too.

SEC recruites alone are better than north Texas by a long, long, long shot. Any kid getting an offer from North Texas and Arkansas always goes to Arkansas.

Pay more attention to whatever other sports you broadcast and post less about football because chad Morris was a terrible head coach. And a great example is whoever is the coach there now is winning a few games with players he didn't recruit.

Chad Morris is worse than tom herman and that's hard to do.

He was trying to change an offense that was built to be a power run game  and recruited that way and was lacking real talent. I literally said Not sure he was going to turn it around but he also was not given a real shot. Two years is not a real shot. Those two statements are not exclusive to each other.