Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hell fucking yes !!!

It's just a few examples so far, but it looks like more and more people are challenging the Republicans/Abbott to their faces, even if it means tangling with cops, and this stuff is getting around on social media.  

Abbott and the Rs have created a bit of a pressure cooker, and they won't have a handle on things if shit goes down - there's only 2,800 DPS troopers, and if Abbott and Co. want to try and take Harris County's elections away from the people, DPS ain't gonna be able to do shit when they get pissed.

I can imagine Houston and Austin blowing up at the very least if Abbott does try to steal votes from Harris County, but he's clearly desperate as hell.

Which all goes back to me wondering what kind of internal polling and projections they are seeing, that are driving them to do this shit, even though they know it could blow up in their faces.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hell fucking yes !!!!

I see this video different than you. I see all but the two protesters applauding when said protesters are forcibly removed from the meeting.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

What the fuck is "good cause"? If the SoS has "good cause to believe".
Good cause like when the SoS used a 7 month period that included 2 triple paycheck months to say that cops were defunded good cause.

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

I see this video different than you. I see all but the two protesters applauding when said protesters are forcibly removed from the meeting.

it’s a hand picked crowd. A couple slip through

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

it’s a hand picked crowd. A couple slip through

This is true.  I got wind of one of these a few months back.   They only use texting to people in an area they think are sympathetic to their agenda.

My mother (who hasn't voted R in 12 years) is 95 and has dementia, so I use my cell for all the medical and business forms.  That's how I received the text to start with.  I forwarded it to a few friends and some went inside while I picketed outside.   They choose private/religious schools to hold these things in.  There is never any public announcement beforehand about the event, so yeah, they are very selective about who they invite.

6 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

This is true.  I got wind of one of these a few months back.   They only use texting to people in an area they think are sympathetic to their agenda.

My mother (who hasn't voted R in 12 years) is 95 and has dementia, so I use my cell for all the medical and business forms.  That's how I received the text to start with.  I forwarded it to a few friends and some went inside while I picketed outside.   They choose private/religious schools to hold these things in.  There is never any public announcement beforehand about the event, so yeah, they are very selective about who they invite.

nothing says confidence in your message like secret meetings. goddamn these people

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

I love freedom.

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Is this gonna be like one of those playoff bets where Abbott and DeSantis pledge a Texas brisket/crate of Florida oranges for whoever gets the most mass shootings before their term is up?

The Allen shooter was a right-wing nutcase according to anonymous law enforcement sources, which means Abbott is probably trying to find out who leaked that.

So fucking embarrassing that he went to UT, and now just debases himself for MAGA any chance he gets, even though it's futile and they will never love him as much as they love Trump and even DeSantis.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/abbott-to-give-update-on-border-security-monday/

Gov. Greg Abbott spoke in Austin Monday morning about border security ahead of the expiration of Title 42, a COVID-era migration policy.

The governor held a press conference at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to “provide an update on Texas’ unprecedented efforts to respond to President Joe Biden’s ongoing border crisis,” a press release from his office stated.

The governor announced that the state is creating the “Texas Tactical Border Force,” which will consist of specially trained National Guard members deployed to “hot spots” to intercept, repel, and turn back migrants who try to enter the U.S. illegally. Abbott said this force will be deployed starting Monday.

Yes Greg, National Guard members signed up so that you could get your photo ops and make your talking points to the MAGA crowd that will never love you, no matter how hard you try.

This was the photo op at Austin-Bergstrom

FvmrnDWXwAM68DZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Fvmr_FvXoAA6NBa?format=jpg&name=medium

Once again he avoids questions he doesn't like, and cut short a press conference because he's too much of a coward to handle questions

Wait, why are these guns unloaded? If I walk down the street, someone else can lawfully carry one of these fully loaded and ready to go. 

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Wait, why are these guns unloaded? If I walk down the street, someone else can lawfully carry one of these fully loaded and ready to go. 

The military has fucking rules lol. Cops and other civilians do not. Soldiers don't have ammo on em unless it's issued to them and ordered to be carried

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The military has fucking rules lol. Cops and other civilians do not. Soldiers don't have ammo on em unless it's issued to them and ordered to be carried

So you're saying they're carrying to just look tough, especially that guy over Abbott's left shoulder.

It was likely ordered for the photo op. I think the guy behind him has his hand like that as he was probably just showing abbott some feature of the weapon and that’s just muscle memory.  I’d bet money he took his hand off the instant after that photo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It was likely ordered for the photo op. I think the guy behind him has his hand like that as he was probably just showing abbott some feature of the weapon and that’s just muscle memory.  I’d bet money he took his hand off the instant after that photo. 

I won't belabor the point, but why have unloaded guns there if not to just look tough for the photo-op. The fact that they're carrying at all is an implicit threat of using violent force to stop migrants. No need for them to have them there otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I won't belabor the point, but why have unloaded guns there if not to just look tough for the photo-op. The fact that they're carrying at all is an implicit threat of using violent force to stop migrants. No need for them to have them there otherwise.

I'm guessing Pate asked them come locked and loaded for the photo op.  C.O. or media officer said, "We'll come fully uniformed and appropriate small arms on the shoulder, but we never, ever carry live ammo under any circumstances."  And Pate said, "Please!  The Governor wants to show off his serious force posture"  And he was likely met with something to the effect of, "Me and my unit are not going before a JAG tribunal for carrying live ammo at a civilian airport media event." 

Also makes commercial airline crew and passengers a little nervous to look out the window and see armed soldiers right before you pushback from the gate as the foreign guy next to you is explaining why he suddenly wanted to buy a one-way ticket to New York City.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think you can answer that question by looking at the man directly to the right of the woman whose hand he is bypassing. if that isn't a "I would kill you if I could" look I don't know what is. seriously, why is he holding his weapon like that?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think you can answer that question by looking at the man directly to the right of the woman whose hand he is bypassing. if that isn't a "I would kill you if I could" look I don't know what is. seriously, why is he holding his weapon like that?

These optics only go to further the "invasion" narrative

"We're sending our boys to the front and stop those invading hordes, dadgummit!"