COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

8 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

A friend of mine just posted that she had a lifelong friend who went to the ER Friday night with an asthma attack. The ER told her they didn't have any capacity to take her and to go home and let them know if it got worse. She died overnight. The anti-vax fucksticks filling up the hospital literally murdered that person. If you aren't going to get the shot, keep your stupid fucking ass home from the hospital. You don't believe in medicine or science so just sit home and eat zinc or pray or use voodoo or whatever the fuck, but quit murdering people because you're a pouty little snowflake bitch.

So did the ER. Sending her home was not appropriate.  Did they even give her a breathing test and get a pulse oximeter reading?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So did the ER. Sending her home was not appropriate.  Did they even give her a breathing test and get a pulse oximeter reading?

I dunno. But if there aren't resources to give, there aren't resources to give, right? Take it to the logical extreme with 1 doctor and 1000 patients, what should they do? 

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

But if there aren't resources to give, there aren't resources to give, right?

No, urgent care could have even done something. Oxygen and steroid inhaler and albuterol nebulizer at minimum. Maybe epinephrine.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

No, urgent care could have even done something. Oxygen and steroid inhaler and albuterol nebulizer at minimum. Maybe epinephrine.

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Beds or no beds EMTALA still applies to a hospital. This story is missing some facts

Yeah, I obv dunno all the details. The person who posted it I have known for 35 years, and she is quite conservative and lives in Oklahoma, so it definitely isn't just a "friend's brother in law heard" or "libtard scare tactics".

Obv it could be something like they said "Hey, look, it's either gonna be 8 hours before someone gets to you so just sit in that chair, or you can go home and come back if it gets worse" or whatever.

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

A friend of mine just posted that she had a lifelong friend who went to the ER Friday night with an asthma attack. The ER told her they didn't have any capacity to take her and to go home and let them know if it got worse. She died overnight. The anti-vax fucksticks filling up the hospital literally murdered that person. If you aren't going to get the shot, keep your stupid fucking ass home from the hospital. You don't believe in medicine or science so just sit home and eat zinc or pray or use voodoo or whatever the fuck, but quit murdering people because you're a pouty little snowflake bitch.

that story doesn't sound accurate. at all. you don't even need to admit a patient to get them through an asthma attack.

1 minute ago, Pods said:

This is a good post. Delta evolved sometime in October 2020 in a non-vaccinated population. It has not evolved to evade the vaccine, because it predates the vaccine. It just happens to be a really nasty fucker that causes very high viral load very quickly. That is causing infections, but the vaccine is strongly protecting against severe disease and death. 

Some of the nasal vaccine candidates might help this down the road by producing a stronger response in the respiratory mucosal lining.

That said, if someone told us 18 months ago the vaccine would only be 40% against transmission, but WAY over 90% for preventing severe disease progression and closer to 99% on preventing death, we would all take that and be celebrating the way we would if we found out they cloned VY and he's committed in the next recruiting class. 

All of this.  This, this, this.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

No, you see, it's my Eagle Freedom Patriot right to douse myself in gasoline and light myself in fire.  This is YOUR fault, for not developing cheap, easy, and effective therapies to keep people who are 50% covered in third degree burns out of the hospital.  That's what we REALLY need -- therapies to keep people with seared flesh out of the hospital.

I gotta go with intentionally obtuse. Nobody is actually this obtuse.  The first part of my story is literally a cautionary tale about getting vaccinated, comparing the outcome of my son who was vaccinated vs. his friend who was not.  Yes, get the vaccine. It may save your life. I have.   We can two things at once though.  We may yet have a strain where vaccines are useless, or worse, counter productive. There is a thing called antibody dependent enhancement.  We should be preparing for that, and yeah, maybe even helping some of those who "deserve" what they get because they are unvaccinated.

We have not been aggressive in pursuing at home treatments to keep you out of the hospital.  Let me give you one example. This is from the NIH website: https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/immunomodulators/corticosteroids/

Recommendation

There is insufficient evidence for the Panel to recommend either for or against the use of inhaled budesonide for the treatment of COVID-19.

This is based on 2 studies which show encouraging results: https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/tables/table-4b/

Cliff notes: Evidence that budensonide may help keep you out of the hospital and/or from dying but study limitations preclude a firm conclusion.

Now, here's my complaint.  The CDC and NIH have literally tens of thousands of employees. Do they actually have something more important to do then figure out whether a low cost readily available drug can help keep covid patients out of the hospital?   We are 18 months into this, and they can't/won't figure this out. Why? WTF? Is it really not a priority?

• Fuck You 13

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

OK, what's everyone's over/under on how many Harris County folks get vaxxed for $100?  I say an additional 3.5%

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/08/17/harris-county-judge-lina-hidalgo-to-make-major-covid-19-vaccine-related-announcement-her-office-says/

I hope it is more than that.  This is a good move by Hidalgo.

3 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

I gotta go with intentionally obtuse. Nobody is actually this obtuse.  The first part of my story is literally a cautionary tale about getting vaccinated, comparing the outcome of my son who was vaccinated vs. his friend who was not.  Yes, get the vaccine. It may save your life. I have.   We can two things at once though.  We may yet have a strain where vaccines are useless, or worse, counter productive. There is a thing called antibody dependent enhancement.  We should be preparing for that, and yeah, maybe even helping some of those who "deserve" what they get because they are unvaccinated.

We have not been aggressive in pursuing at home treatments to keep you out of the hospital.  Let me give you one example. This is from the NIH website: https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/immunomodulators/corticosteroids/

Recommendation

There is insufficient evidence for the Panel to recommend either for or against the use of inhaled budesonide for the treatment of COVID-19.

This is based on 2 studies which show encouraging results: https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/tables/table-4b/

Cliff notes: Evidence that budensonide may help keep you out of the hospital and/or from dying but study limitations preclude a firm conclusion.

Now, here's my complaint.  The CDC and NIH have literally tens of thousands of employees. Do they actually have something more important to do then figure out whether a low cost readily available drug can help keep covid patients out of the hospital?   We are 18 months into this, and they can't/won't figure this out. Why? WTF? Is it really not a priority?

WTF are you asking?  The very goddamned language you quoted says that they looked at actual studies (so, not stories from someone's aunt on FB, but actual....real-deal studies), and the very language says that it is "encouraging," and there is evidence that it "may help," but not enough to make a "firm conclusion."  That's what a responsible entity would say.  Not "hey, it looks like it might help, so we recommend it as a sure-fire treatment!"  I imagine we can all agree that it's maddening how long it takes to get good, firm data on a particular treatment -- with regard to COVID or anything else.  Good, valid studies take fucking time and a lot of subjects.

In any case, clinicians can read that information.  They can then decide on whether to treat their patients with budenoside or not.  In fact, that is OFTEN where the genesis of many treatments and treatment protocols comes from: clinicians on the ground, trying shit.  

And there it is...."antibody dependent enhancement"....the FAVORITE pet of the "vaccines are actually BAD!" crowd.  Fuck you, negged.

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

My brain is mush but i think i remember reading before Delta got ramped up that Pfizer said that they were recommending annual boosters.  Some details a probably off but I remember telling my wife that its just going to be like a flu shot.  FWIW

I've always assumed we'd need to get another shot...and probably another and....

I was just wondering if 8 months is the natural timeline needed or if that is a "just to be safe with Delta hitting us hard" timeline.  If there was no major Delta outbreak in this country, would we still be recommending a booster after 8 months?

2 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

What a load of horse shit.0832f23ef336e53814b4dcdae6401b14.png

I've never met anybody named Lena Truitt Meade, never even known anybody with that name.  Parts of that name, sure, but not as a whole.

But if you showed me that post without the name attached, and asked me who posted that, my brain would immediately come up with the name "Lena Truitt Meade".

• Haha 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I've never met anybody named Lena Truitt Meade, never even known anybody with that name.  Parts of that name, sure, but not as a whole.

But if you showed me that post without the name attached, and asked me who posted that, my brain would immediately come up with the name "Lena Truitt Meade".

Except she's not real.  No one named "Lena Truitt Meade" would say "m3d1a"

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I've always assumed we'd need to get another shot...and probably another and....

I was just wondering if 8 months is the natural timeline needed or if that is a "just to be safe with Delta hitting us hard" timeline.  If there was no major Delta outbreak in this country, would we still be recommending a booster after 8 months?

The vaccines are better at stopping Alpha and OG Covid, than Delta. Breakthrough rate with Alpha was around 1%. It happened, but was much less common than it looks to be for Delta. 

If Alpha were still the dominant strains, we would likely not have to have boosters yet.

Delta enters cells and produces much higher viral load rapidly. It is much more contagious, so it's bumping up the timeline.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

If the country had done a better job getting vaccinated and we didn't have the current Delta outbreak, would we still have the 8 month booster recommendation?  Or would they have likely waited longer?

Yes.  They have flu booster shots, but most never needed them unless you were vaccinated really early in flu season (like now).  Pfizer was talking about it before Delta.

Unfortunately covid doesn't have a season like the flu does, so this shit is year-round.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

What do y'all think this looks like long term?  Every 6-8 months go get a shot?  

The H1N1 Swine Flu is still with us, but it's mutated to be Not A Big Deal anymore.  Hopefully COVID will eventually do the same.

7 minutes ago, Pods said:

The vaccines are better at stopping Alpha and OG Covid, than Delta. Breakthrough rate with Alpha was around 1%. It happened, but was much less common than it looks to be for Delta. 

If Alpha were still the dominant strains, we would likely not have to have boosters yet.

Delta enters cells and produces much higher viral load rapidly. It is much more contagious, so it's bumping up the timeline.  

Thx.  Humor my remedial questions for a bit.  Using me as an example.  

Moderna recipient.  2nd shot was early March.  I guess I'm due for #3 in November.

Is the booster just the same shot again or a different dosage?

If, for example, I didn't get a booster until 12, 15 months later, would the same booster shot be effective or would I need to get more than just the booster?   Because you know booster turnout is going to be worse even than original vaccination turnout.  What will those people who wait have to do to "catch up" with those who get the booster at the recommended 8 months?

Edited by Don Johnson

1 hour ago, naija said:

that story doesn't sound accurate. at all. you don't even need to admit a patient to get them through an asthma attack.

You are correct but shit still happens. I'm sure you have seen bad nurses and doctors before so it's possible. Years ago a girl I know was in her first year at Vanderbilt and fell down some stairs. The ER told her she was drunk and sent her home without any work being done. She couldn't stand and had blurred vision in the morning and was taken back to the ER where she later died. Shit, my full-term pregnant wife and I went to her obgyn after she said pee came out of the wrong place. The obgyn said there was a tear and to get admitted to Stanford and they would meet up with us. They administered pitosin and at about midnight the late shift nurse looked at her and told her that she didn't see a tear and that she should go home. I said thanks, but that we would wait for the doctor. All I'll say is that obgyn wasn't too pleased with the nurse.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

…Shit, my full-term pregnant wife and I went to her obgyn after she said pee came out of the wrong place. …

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Stopped reading to puke in my mouth. I think I’ve blocked out most of the end part of the births of our kids. 

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

OK, what's everyone's over/under on how many Harris County folks get vaxxed for $100?  I say an additional 3.5%

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/08/17/harris-county-judge-lina-hidalgo-to-make-major-covid-19-vaccine-related-announcement-her-office-says/

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I hope it is more than that.  This is a good move by Hidalgo.

I guarantee she's taking crap from people that want their $100 for getting a vaccine months ago. And from anti-vax folks who believe their tax dollars are funding it.

Paying to get vaccinated from the get-go may have been incredibly expensive but you have to wonder if it would have been cheaper than the losses that the economy has sustained. 

24 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

So any of the docs in the thread.  Why are they giving the gov Regeneron even though he's been vaccinated?  Is it just because he's the Governor and fuck all the pleebs?  Is the fact that he's been paralyzed increase his risk somehow?

Not a doctor.  But I have dealt with a lot of paralyzed clients.  They have all sorts of health issues related to their paralysis.  And increased risk for many diseases, including cardiovascular diseases.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

So any of the docs in the thread.  Why are they giving the gov Regeneron even though he's been vaccinated?  Is it just because he's the Governor and fuck all the pleebs?  Is the fact that he's been paralyzed increase his risk somehow?

Well Pfizer is a good fucking vaccine. 100% of the patient's currently in our hospital are unvaccinated.

As well, Abbott is an asshole and the rule is, the more of an asshole, the better they will respond. If I get a nice humble patient in the hospital, I expect the worst.

He will do just as well as Trumpkins in my opinion.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

Recommendation

The vaccine keeps you out of the hospital, you ignorant cunt.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Been vaccinated AND is asymptomatic.  Seems like a waste to me as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Well Pfizer is a good fucking vaccine. 100% of the patient's currently in our hospital are unvaccinated.

As well, Abbott is an asshole and the rule is, the more of an asshole, the better they will respond. If I get a nice humble patient in the hospital, I expect the worst.

He will do just as well as Trumpkins in my opinion.

I'm convinced Trump was a lot closer to death than anyone will admit.  He was shook when he came back to the WH after being at Walter Reed.  And he damn sure got the vaccine as soon as he could.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm convinced Trump was a lot closer to death than anyone will admit.  He was shook when he came back to the WH after being at Walter Reed.  And he damn sure got the vaccine as soon as he could.

the reporting is that he indeed was much more severely ill than they let on (source: WaPo). Only about 10 people had taken Regeneron outside of clinical trials prior to his treatment - which is a pretty drastic measure for someone who wasn't desperate

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

the reporting is that he indeed was much more severely ill than they let on (source: WaPo). Only about 10 people had taken Regeneron outside of clinical trials prior to his treatment - which is a pretty drastic measure for someone who wasn't desperate

EdibleIckyBobwhite-max-1mb.gif

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Well, 55,000 have claimed it in Minnesota, including a bunch of poorly vaccinated counties.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/08/16/minnesota-extends-100-vaccine-incentive-program-for-another-week/

Money well spent.

Edited by GopherRock
  • Hook 'Em 3

It’s not a secret that Trump was pretty ill. He’s an obese nearly 80 year old, that’s hardly a surprise. Pre vaccine, I’d also expect Joe Biden or any of the other serious candidates for the office at the time to have had a pretty dicey outlook.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’s not a secret that Trump was pretty ill. He’s an obese nearly 80 year old, that’s hardly a surprise. Pre vaccine, I’d also expect Joe Biden or any of the other serious candidates for the office at the time to have had a pretty dicey outlook.

I think he damn near died.  Lots worse than 'pretty ill'.  Too bad ole Darwin swung and missed on that one.

Good for him.  If it's your constitutional right to health care that you feel he's violating, careful saying that part out loud.  Because it actually means something way different than what you think it means.  

Well, since (1) there appears to be no measures in place to limit the spread of this stuff that isn't being assailed by our state government, (2) my wife is immune compromised from past chemo, (3) I have kids in crowded public schools wearing masks when few others are, (4) there appear to be plenty of shots available since some nimrods would rather rely on horse paste and other junk science than on a vaccine, and (5) I'm just shy of seven months since my second shot, I made an appointment online at CVS for my third shot, walked in with my card, and was out of there in five minutes with a sore arm and no questions asked.  There was no line jumping because there was no line.  There appears to be plenty for those who are willing, and these antivaxers and antimaskers are compromising my family's immunity at this point.  My wife is getting hers tomorrow since she is coming up on the seven month mark as well. 

Take care of yourselves and your loved ones.  So far, my arm only is slightly sore.  I'm sure I'll have a similar response as I did to the second shot.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 6