COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

On 8/19/2021 at 12:57 PM, Storm the Field said:

As of today, 199.88M Americans have received at least one dose (72.5% of adults). We'll finally pass the 200M mark tomorrow. 169.6M are fully vaccinated (62.1%)

Top 5 (1+ dose over age 18): HI 86.4%, VT 86.1%, MA 85.9%, CT 84.1%, NJ 81.6%

Texas: 68.3%

Bottom 5: WY 54.1%, MS 54.8%, WV 55.4%, ID 56.9%, AL 57.7%

Yep.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Fucking dammit. I have to travel to Stillwater for work next week. I guess I’ll get my third and fourth shot tomorrow just to be safe. 

@Sbbruin, possibly save me a spot on the floating pyre. 

Get some penicillin and Valtrex while you're at it. Can't be too careful

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Not reading 1000 pages…

If someone got their first two shots through some county deal like APH where they don’t inquire about your insurance or take any personal information outside of your name, DOB, and look at your drivers license, could you roll into H‑E‑B or CVS with your insurance and get #3 and #4 as if they were #1 and #2?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Not reading 1000 pages…

If someone got their first two shots through some county deal like APH where they don’t inquire about your insurance or take any personal information outside of your name, DOB, and look at your drivers license, could you roll into H‑E‑B or CVS with your insurance and get #3 and #4 as if they were #1 and #2?

Is this legal?

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Not reading 1000 pages…

probably.  maybe you could just ask them for a drip you can take home.

Been following this thread and enjoying the stupidity from some...unfortunately it's bled into my own circle.

Unvaxxed extended family update:

Cousins husband: died Tuesday. Was extremely overweight. 34 yrs old. Wife was vaccinated and is fine.

Wife's cousin: been in hospital 6 wks. Intubated currently. Not looking good.

Wife's other cousin: got covid, dealing with it at home. Taking ivermectin. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Rage+1 5

If only there was real life data from people who took the actual covid vaccine, and not a just a thousand people in some blind study…..

Man, we can dream I guess…

Actually, I understand the story is that all of us vaxxed people “will be dead within a year.” Guess the vaccine’s gonna make our heads explode or something.

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t but I’m curious. Do you know?  

This doesn’t exactly answer that, but it does give some interesting timeline data. 

https://www.fda.gov/media/97229/download

I will direct attention to the slide that shows drug discovery at several years and then clinicals at several more, as the vast majority of the timeline. We know that drug discovery was shortened considerably from both the technology available to sequence the virus and the focus on it. 

the IND and NDA review which is the fda’s role in all of this seems to be right in line with their expedited timelines. The only time compression I’m not sure on is the clinicals- I think they were allowed to either jump right to stage 3 or have very abbreviated stage 1 and 2. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

posted this in the wrong thread, sorry about the double post:

How should I balance the risk of my May-birthday 11-yr old boy growing a second head from getting a too "high" for his age dose of the Covid vaccine now, versus outcome from Covid due to waiting with thumbs up our asses for approval for under-12s? 

Sick of being sitting ducks here and spouse with J&J gimp shot getting no guidance from CDC or doctor other than to wait and see about booster.  

Here’s a link to a paper about non human primate studies, so that was done. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2024671

and here’s mice. 
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-moderna-investigational-covid-19-vaccine-shows-promise-mouse-studies

mouse study finished in august 2020, nonhuman primate finished October 2020, then we started the human trials and had the EA a couple of months later. 

shit just went fast because we wanted it to. There were no financial driven delays, and no sitting in line. Nothing seems to have been skipped. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Why do drug studies and approval take a lot of time? It costs a shit ton of money, resources, and you do the steps sequentially. And yes, there is a long ass line for the FDA. Covid erased all those obstacles and they did all the steps concurrently. Saves a shit ton of time. Oh, we have unlimited resources, and every scientist in the world can help work on the solution. Yeah. Might speed things up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

posted this in the wrong thread, sorry about the double post:

How should I balance the risk of my May-birthday 11-yr old boy growing a second head from getting a too "high" for his age dose of the Covid vaccine now, versus outcome from Covid due to waiting with thumbs up our asses for approval for under-12s? 

Sick of being sitting ducks here and spouse with J&J gimp shot getting no guidance from CDC or doctor other than to wait and see about booster.  

One thought, and this relates to FDA approval... once there is adult pfizer approval, a doc can do "off label" use of a drug. I.e. perhaps give an adult 30ug shot to a child. Will many pediatricians do that? I have no idea. Liability concerns, naturally.  If you have 2 kids, maybe they could split a single 30ug dose (so 15 units, the 5-11 cohort study is 10ug) each. But my understanding is that could happen, completely legally, as soon as next week. 

Now, as someone who may know someone who had a 6th grader who is the same size and development as many other kids in the same grade technically a few months older... I bet there are tens of thousands of folks who have already done it. Maybe one of those folks would come clean to their pediatrician and see if they would provide a reduced child size dosage for the second shot. That's all theoretical mind you. I have heard, sample size of 1, no ill effects were noted after 1 shot.

Additionally, with FDA approval off-label use would let doc give a J&J based person get a pfizer or moderna.

Edited by CleverNickname
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Here’s a link to a paper about non human primate studies, so that was done. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2024671

and here’s mice. 
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-moderna-investigational-covid-19-vaccine-shows-promise-mouse-studies

mouse study finished in august 2020, nonhuman primate finished October 2020, then we started the human trials and had the EA a couple of months later. 

shit just went fast because we wanted it to. There were no financial driven delays, and no sitting in line. Nothing seems to have been skipped. 

Mice are not normally considered a 'tox species'. Part of the preclinical data package in many instances, yes, but at least in oncology they are not used to show toxicity.

That said, according to the Pfizer EAU memo the non-clinical tox studies were repeat dose studies in rats. Additional studies 'to support safety and efficacy' were in rhesus macaques and mice (so what do I know).

59 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Cross posting this, but a free antibody study ongoing through UT. They're studying vaccines and antibody levels. Testing locations all over.

I got the gimp J&J 5 moths ago but had a really strong reaction. I'll share my numbers when I get them

https://sph.uth.edu/projects/texascares/

I got mine, would be interested in comparing numbers with anyone else that got tested..